As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I didn't know installing memory could be this hard

pogo1250pogo1250 Registered User regular
so here's my situation... i recently purchased some extra ram for my system some ocz ddr2 800 1g x 2 after installing the memory in my mobo and turning on my computer it comes up on sisoftware sandra that i only have 3gb installed (before i had another 1gb x 2 kit in my other two dimms) i tried removing each module individually to see if one was defective, but it will still show 3gb with either one in.

my system specs

Model : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz
Mainboard : Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. 965P-DS3
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (512MB DDR3, PCIe 2.00 x16, PS 3.0, VS 3.0)
Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP (2002) Home 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 2)

oh and these are the other two sticks i have in my dimms

i expect im overlooking something thats really obviousD:

310457-1.png
pogo1250 on

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You're using a 32-bit operating system. It can only address 4GB memory at a time, and video memory/memory built into your motherboard counts against that limit.

It could be your motherboard has a similar limitation which would cause the same reported RAM on POST.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I looked that board up, it supports 8GB, so it's not the board.

Using Vista64 or XP64 will fix it, letting you use the whole 4GB.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    thanks for the quick help!

pogo1250 on
    310457-1.png
  • Options
    TharghorTharghor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Don't use xp 64, though. It supposedly has a lot less support than vista 64.

Tharghor on
  • Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    64-bit XP was more or less a "training" OS to let developers get a jumpstart on making 64-bit programs. If you go 64-bit Windows, Vista is the only option.

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    64-bit XP was more or less a "training" OS to let developers get a jumpstart on making 64-bit programs. If you go 64-bit Windows, Vista is the only option.

I gotta say guys, I have had only maybe 3 apps and games total that have ever given me shit about Either Vista or 64bit. 1 game is too old, another game is made by a company that has since gone bankrupt, and the third is an anti-spyware company that is working on it.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    ok im running on vista premium 64 bit, but it says i only have a little more than 3gb of usable memory... must be somekinda bug ... lol

pogo1250 on
    310457-1.png
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Update your bios?

I'm grasping at straws here...

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    no i was making a joke because vista is using a ton of memory

my problem is solved... thread closed

pogo1250 on
    310457-1.png
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

I gotta say guys, I have had only maybe 3 apps and games total that have ever given me shit about Either Vista or 64bit. 1 game is too old, another game is made by a company that has since gone bankrupt, and the third is an anti-spyware company that is working on it.

no no no.

64-bit XP is complete ass and should be avoided at all costs. there are simply too many driver problems, and it is very unsupported by pretty much everyone.

64-bit Vista is fine and steadily getting better. if you go 64-bit, you really want to go Vista.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

no no no.

64-bit XP is complete ass and should be avoided at all costs. there are simply too many driver problems, and it is very unsupported by pretty much everyone.

64-bit Vista is fine and steadily getting better. if you go 64-bit, you really want to go Vista.

Agreed. Ive not had one program that's not worked yet under 64-bit Vista.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I have. Threatfire.

My favoritest Anti-everything software.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Idoliside wrote: »

no no no.

Agreed. Ive not had one program that's not worked yet under 64-bit Vista.

My roommate is using 64-bit Vista and he hasn't run into many (if any, I haven't heard of any really) problems at all, and he's really excited about his 8 gigs of RAM. :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I ran into a similar problem I got some free DDR 2x512, I tried installing it but whatever I did, the pc only detected one (either one worked though), so I would only get 1.5 Ghz instead o 2.0. I gave up on installing the other one, but a days after my mobo started beeping and sometimes it wouldn't boot so I removed the new memory and eventually the problems disappeared. It's probably because the brands were different or the ram was fucked, but if someone could give me some insight it would be lovely.
    I have an AMD 64 3.5+, asus a8n sli deluxe or premium cant remember and 1x1GB Kingston DDR.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I <3 my Vista 64. Also, I love how every time I start up, it puts a new Internet Explorer icon on the quicklaunch taskbar. Which I promptly remove, secretly looking forward to the next restart, when it tries to slip it by me again.

I'm not being sarcastic. I really do think it's hilarious. And I really do <3 Vista 64.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Been using XP 64 Bit for about a year now on all of my computers. Not one problem at all. I don't run old hardware though. That could be a big reason people cry doom with it. For me it's the complete opposite.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Macro9 wrote: »
    Been using XP 64 Bit for about a year now on all of my computers. Not one problem at all. I don't run old hardware though. That could be a big reason people cry doom with it. For me it's the complete opposite.

Increased driver support for vista 64 is likely trickling down to XP 64.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Down, Set, GoDown, Set, Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Akatsuki wrote: »
    I ran into a similar problem I got some free DDR 2x512, I tried installing it but whatever I did, the pc only detected one (either one worked though), so I would only get 1.5 Ghz instead o 2.0. I gave up on installing the other one, but a days after my mobo started beeping and sometimes it wouldn't boot so I removed the new memory and eventually the problems disappeared. It's probably because the brands were different or the ram was fucked, but if someone could give me some insight it would be lovely.
    I have an AMD 64 3.5+, asus a8n sli deluxe or premium cant remember and 1x1GB Kingston DDR.

A lot of early AMD 64 mobos had chipsets or some junk that didn't support past 1.5GB. I know mine did. I bought it in..December of 03 though. Don't know how long after that it changed.

Down, Set, Go on