As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Streets of Rage "Remake" - awesome fan game

SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
title.png

Leave it to a handful of homebrew programmers to pick up Sega's slack. The folks at Bombergames have just released a near-complete version of their freeware fan creation: Streets of Rage Remake. It aims to combine the best aspects of all three Genesis titles along with original content. All 6 major characters of the series are playable out of the gate with 2 to unlock. There's 8 different stages (considerably longer than typical SoR stages) with branching paths, more weapons and items, the ability to toggle between specific SoR2 and SoR3 gameplay features, and a good bit more. It isn't as polished as a commercial release, and there are still apparently a few bugs left in the current incarnation, but I've been playing this thing for over a day now and I have to say that I'm very impressed. The new artwork and animation is kinda lame, and the script/translation ain't so great, but the gameplay captures the feel of the old games very well, and there's enough new content in here to set it apart as well.

This is a homebrew fan-made project coded from scratch. It reuses a lot of assets from the Genesis games (sprites and whatnot; think Mugen), and many of the locations are familiar, but as it's not emulation-related, I assume it's okay to post this.

Some ingame screenshots:
profile.pngmovie.png
barrels.pngbikes.png
fire.pngroo.png
rooftop.pngsnow.png
stage8.png

A palette editor:
coloredit.png

Some kind of flag tag mode:
flag.png

This game has volleyball.
volleyball.png

The soundtrack consists mostly of remixes of original SoR 1-3 tunes, and most of them are pretty goddamn good. Many of them are note-for-note matches of Yuzo Koshiro's old tracks with more dynamic synth. BGM 10 is definitely my favorite; it's an awesome mix of the final level themes from SoR 1+2 put together, and it plays during the main portion of the final stage.

I should note that this game is fucking HARD. Rarely will less than 6 enemies ever attack you simultaneously, and they often show up in some brutal combinations. I've had to dodge thugs with handguns, robots that shoot lasers, ninjas that throw stars, and women with electric whips all at the same goddamn time. Some bosses from the original games will show up as normal enemies. Some bosses in this game will reappear later as normal enemies. Twice. [spoiler:fe2d95e9bf]You will fight a Robot Shiva. You will fight Super Saiyan Shiva. I am not even fucking kidding. He's got a transformation sequence and everything.[/spoiler:fe2d95e9bf] This game is brutal. But it's ohhh so sweet.

In this game:

- the explosions are comically exaggerated. Seriously, get out of the fucking way when you see one coming.
- you can throw enemies into said explosions for MASSIVE DAMAGE.
- you can use pistols, machine guns, and bazookas.
- "Big Ben" type enemies will often drop food items after dying.
- a trucker will fucking make you pay for trashing his ride.
- you can beat the shit out of Cody from Final Fight.

Some survival tips:

- Set the combo style to SOR2. This allows you to rapid-jab until you connect with an enemy instead of doing a full combo out in the open and leaving yourself open to attack.
- Try not to use combo finishers that knock the enemy down. With Adam, I'd just punch an enemy or two three times, wait a split second, and just start punching them again right when they recover. It depletes their life bar fast, and they usually don't react fast enough to counter. I demolished Mr. X with a single combo this way. (This doesn't work very well against Pheasant type enemies and a small handful of others.)
- When you find yourself stuck in the middle of a crowd, grab a thug (doesn't matter who) from the front, hold backward, and then press attack. You'll throw him and hopefully knock down some people behind you, giving you a little bit of breathing room.
- When an enemy starts a combo on you, it is usually a wise idea to perform a defensive special move to break free. It'll cost you a little life, but it's better than being a sitting duck.
- Swinging weapons are your friend. Long range, high damage. As long as you're careful not to drop them twice, you can burn through a lot of levels very quickly. I was having a very easy time with stage 8 up until I lost my pipe, and then it got kind of hectic.
- You can rack up points for extra lives much more quickly than in the classic games. Make sure to grab all the items that enemies drop, and consider the biker stage as a "bonus round;" it gives you a great opportunity to mow down some thugs for extra points.
- Do not stand directly in front of any enemy who uses a projectile, especially when you're recovering from a fall. They will not hesitate to knock you right the fuck back down.
- If you're thrown, hold up and the jump button to land on your feet. Some of the more nimble enemies are capable of this technique as well.
- Learn what types of enemies are best handled by plain rapid attacks and which are best handled by grabs and throws. If you're having trouble taking down one type of enemy with one of these techniques, try the other.
- Try to close in on enemies by approaching from above or below, not from left or right. Doubly so for any enemies with projectiles or deadly rushing attacks.

It should also be noted that this doesn't appear to be the final release. From what I gather, there's more content coming down the pike besides bug fixes, including at least one extra boss (spoiler pic, I guess). She makes a brief cameo in the current version but does not fight you. All I gather from Wiki'ing her name is that she has some connection to Shiva.

Download mirrors (in case the site is still getting hammered):
http://www.zshare.net/download/sorrv401full_gamepatch-zip.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/10014061/sorrv401full_gamepatch.zip.html
http://www.doulifee.com/Storage/sorrv401full_gamepatch.zip

poasting something foolishly foolish.
Sixfortyfive on

• solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    does it play better than Beats of Rage?

solsovly on
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    solsovly wrote:
    does it play better than Beats of Rage?
    Never played that one. I've been playing this with a Saturn style PC pad, and it feels almost exactly like the real thing.

Sixfortyfive on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My attention is gotten, assuming it won't take me all of three days to download.
    (About five hours to be exact.)
    The music looks good, too.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    quick! download it before the C&D gets issued!

..oh...it takes..four years to download.

Ludious on
  • BrueBrue Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    :^:

Edit: The mirrors D/L at 2mb a sec gogogogo!

Brue on
  • VicissitudeVicissitude Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The first mirror is going quite fast for me.

Vicissitude on
  • kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Downloading...

30 seconds remaining :P

kriegs on
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Holy fuck this is awesome. Only thing is, it makes me cry I can't use my game controller with it. (stupid microsoft not releasing the wireless gaming reciever for another month!)

Rook on
  • SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This... This is amazing! It's so simple, yet so deliciously satisfying.

Sceptre on
    edited January 2007
    Ugh, Blaze is not suited to face this many opponents at once. I tried Very Hard mode with her and could barely make it to Stage 7. I kind of want to try it with a CPU teammate but I've heard that the AI is kinda glitchy.

On the plus side, try her -> -> B move with a knife against multiple opponents at once at fairly close range. It hits so many times that you can drain an entire lifebar with it.

It seems that Adam is suited perfectly for this game. His standard -> -> B move has great range and can be used for defense just as well as offense. Managed to clear Hard mode with him without continuing.

Sixfortyfive on
  • IchnobIchnob Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Anyone using this with the Logitech PC pads? Hoping to play this with my brother.

Ichnob on
    edited January 2007
    It only supports a single gamepad at a time. If you want to use a second pad, you'll have to map it to the keyboard. Google for "joy2key."

Sixfortyfive on
  • IchnobIchnob Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Really? Damn. Still going to give this game a go later today.

Ichnob on
  • MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm not a big fan of the sprite filtering, and it feels like they only increased the difficulty by increasing the play speed. Otherwise, it's a very solid remake that I'll probably play through a few times.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I seem to remember another remake of SoR that used KoF characters. Anyone remember that one? I never got around to playing it, but it looked cool.

Kreutz on
  • MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Kreutz wrote:
    I seem to remember another remake of SoR that used KoF characters. Anyone remember that one? I never got around to playing it, but it looked cool.
    Second post in this thread.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So it took six hours. I was close.

I love it so far. The sprites don't bother me, but I'm not a stickler for that kind of thing.

The music's running kind of choppy for some reason, but so far, everything is golden.

Blaze + pipe still = death for all.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • FinalGamerFinalGamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Even though I was more a Final Fight fan, my apprehension of fan-made games have improved thanks to MarioWeen so why the fuck not?
    *downloading in eagerness*

FinalGamer on
    "Videogames are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n' roll." - Shigeru Miyamoto
    dancingmagels1.gif
    Attack
    Magic > Breakdance 2
    Item
    Flee
  • MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Damn, I was going to do an op on this yesterday too...got lost in actual work though, sadly. This remake rocks, I will admit. Much better than Beats of Rage, which was decent, but waaaayy to easy. This one has a lot of nice extra content, and I liked how they updated all of the characters with the 3rd games moves. (roll, run dash etc)

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I am sorry to have to lock this, but I already denied another, similar thread for a fan "remake" of a popular game that used official sprites/IP/etc. This one seems just about as non-legit as the other, so locked the thread must be.

Rather than trashcanning it, I will just let it fall off the page locked.

Captain K on
This discussion has been closed.