As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Gift advice

PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I need some gift ideas. High wow factor and outside the box thinking encouraged.

Recipient:
Young woman, slightly nerdy, not much for clothes/jewlery, going back to school in fall for child development, interested in writing and reading, fav author Kurt Vonnegut, currently digging on George RR Martin, plays some video games but mostly just the Sims and harvest moon for the DS, has a dog, owns a wii but doesn't play it much.

Difficulty:
I'm on a tight budget (~$250) so traveling is out and already gave her a McSweeney's subscription.

all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
PirateJon on

• CruixCruix Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It'll be up to you to decide if this sounds like something she'd like, but my first idea was to go hit up Ebay and find a signed copy of her favorite Kurt Vonnegut book. I just checked out Ebay and they seem within your price range. Having a very nice copy of a book, signed by your favorite author, is a very nice thing for someone who loves to read (I think).

Other ideas: If she's interested in writing, a really nice pen is an amazing thing. Get a real quality one, it'll be expensive, but they feel so nice to write with and she'll be sure to appreciate it.

Cruix on
    housesig2.gif
  • CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What is your relationship with this woman, and what are you trying to accomplish by giving this gift?

Cauld on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Cruix wrote: »
    Other ideas: If she's interested in writing, a really nice pen is an amazing thing. Get a real quality one, it'll be expensive, but they feel so nice to write with and she'll be sure to appreciate it.

A really nice thick leatherbound journal would be a good compliment to go with a fancy pen.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited June 2008
    Feral wrote: »

A really nice thick leatherbound journal would be a good compliment to go with a fancy pen.

This is a great idea. There are even stores where you could get her initials put into the journal, if you wanted to add that little personal touch. I think Levenger does this with their leather items, they also sell nice pens.

Cruix on
    housesig2.gif
  • witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You could try finding some nice nerdy art for her, presumably something along the lines of things she already likes. You could get a nice frame for it and tell her that it's to inspire her in her writing and in understanding children.

witch_ie on
  • MikeMcSomethingMikeMcSomething Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    6$ bath-bomb from Lush

If you want to go fucking crazy? Two bath bombs

MikeMcSomething on
  • PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Cauld wrote: »
    What is your relationship with this woman, and what are you trying to accomplish by giving this gift?

1) Relationship is awesome.
    2) :winky:
    Answers intentionally vague to encourage the widest possible range of suggestions.

It's a good idea, but I did the journal thing once, but she prefers to write on the PC and I'm not getting her Word 2007.
    witch_ie wrote: »
    You could try finding some nice nerdy art for her, presumably something along the lines of things she already likes. You could get a nice frame for it and tell her that it's to inspire her in her writing and in understanding children.

Thats a pretty good idea - framed art.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • WifflebatWifflebat Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Feral wrote: »

This is a great idea. There are even stores where you could get her initials put into the journal, if you wanted to add that little personal touch. I think Levenger does this with their leather items, they also sell nice pens.

Thirded. Perfect level of gee-whiz thoughtfulness.

Wifflebat on
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Depending on your location, her likes, and an agreeable schedule, I would strongly advise tickets to the symphony.

Should be able to come in under budget in most areas, even with decent seats.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • mimizumimizu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Young woman, slightly nerdy, not much for clothes/jewlery, going back to school in fall for child development, interested in writing and reading, fav author Kurt Vonnegut, currently digging on George RR Martin, plays some video games but mostly just the Sims and harvest moon for the DS, has a dog, owns a wii but doesn't play it much.

replace 'going back to school in fall for child development, interested in writing and reading' with 'Going to junior collage this fall for baking and calculus, interested in theroritical physics' , ' currently digging on George RR Martin (who?)' with ' currently digging the cthulhu mythos', and 'harvest moon' with 'Pokemon'
    and there you go. You've got me.

mimizu on
  • CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I like giving potted plants/flowers, ones that don't easily die. But that might too mundane. If you grow it yourself you get bonus points. You can also get a plain pot and then paint it up yourself. It's good because plants are always nice in dorms/apartments/offices etc. and every time she looks at it she'll think of you.

Cauld on
  • mimizumimizu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/lights/994a/.

Now make one yourself. (that makes is special.)
    You could make a bunch of them in diffrent colours or something.

I second the signed book idea, too.

mimizu on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This thing, hardcover if you want to spend more. If I was less stingy I would offer to personally apologize to her and refund your money if she doesn't like the book, but I'm definitely stingy so I'll have to settle for telling you that she will like the book, just like everyone else who has read it, basically. It's a good book, especially for fantasy fans. I think you might be able to get a signed copy; check the author's website maybe.

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited June 2008
    This thing, hardcover if you want to spend more. If I was less stingy I would offer to personally apologize to her and refund your money if she doesn't like the book, but I'm definitely stingy so I'll have to settle for telling you that she will like the book, just like everyone else who has read it, basically. It's a good book, especially for fantasy fans. I think you might be able to get a signed copy; check the author's website maybe.

Didn't the guy who wrote this book post on Penny-Arcade for a while? I'm pretty sure I'd seen him posting around here a while ago, if that's the case, it'd be a good way to ask for a signed copy! I haven't read it yet, but I've heard nothing but the best praise for it from anyone who reads fantasy.

Cruix on
    housesig2.gif