As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

hard alcohol without pop?

chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
i don't want to drink beer tonight, and i always end up sick because of all the pop that i drink when i drink hard alcohol. so what are some good alternatives to pop? i'm thinking of a club soda and lime type of thing, but i have never drank those types of drinks before. i like whiskey, vodka, and rum the best btw.

chuck steak on

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Juices work well, especially with vodka. OJ obviously (screwdrivers). Lime/lemon juice works well, even cranberry and vodka. Or the girl-like "appletini". Vodka and tonic with a twist of lime is nice too, although I prefer gin and tonic. Rum goes well with pineapple juice.

If you half and half the mix, it usually ends up ok. If you don't mind the taste so much, go 2:1 or 3:1 alcohol:mixer.

Oh, strawberry and vodka, too. Just check out the mixers section in the nearest grocery or liquor store, they usually list right on the lable what the mixer is good for.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    whiskey + ice cubes = alcohol without pop

Marathon on
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Drink aged rum on ice, or like Marathon said, Whiskey.

Here's a secret about mixed drinks: mixed drinks exist to hide the foul taste and stench of cheap liquor. I've seen guys barf at the smell of some bars' rail vodka when it was served straight. So if you're drinking mixed drinks, start spending a little more and learn to appreciate fine spirits served they way they were meant to be—undiluted.

supabeast on
  • Options
    DiscGraceDiscGrace Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Screwdrivers are always a good bet, and you add in coconut rum for an extra twist. Cosmopolitans are also good: vodka, cranberry juice, a little lime juice, and some Triple Sec (orange liqueur of some nature). If you like whiskey, you can also mix that with sweet and sour to make a Whiskey Sour (should be on the rocks, I think - I'm not a big whiskey fan, though).

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    YosemiteSamYosemiteSam Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Also, you won't drink as much soda if you just chase shots with it instead of mixing, assuming you don't want to just drink it straight.

YosemiteSam on
  • Options
    No Cars GoNo Cars Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    An mango based smoothie, with vodka and red bull. Remove the red bull if you count it as pop.

No Cars Go on
  • Options
    tmccooltmccool Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    GIN AND JUICE

tmccool on
  • Options
    HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Marathon wrote:
    whiskey + ice cubes = alcohol without pop
    Really, if you can learn to drink hard liquor straight without mixers, you'll be better off. The difficult thing is learning to guage how much you're drinking, and actually being man enough to stomach it. The plus side is that it's easier to bring booze to a party and you look a lot cooler drinking straight whiskey then some fruity mixer. Or... at least I think so.

Vodka and ice is good as well as whiskey with either ice or a drop of water.

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • Options
    WeeSneakWeeSneak Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ice cubes work pretty well, the coldness of the liquid makes it easier to stomach in my opinion. I usually just have vodka and a small touch of coke to give it a bit of a fizz.

WeeSneak on
    sigmh7.jpg
  • Options
    HallucinogenHallucinogen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I third the whiskey and ice. Or better yet, scotch(yes it's still whiskey, but it's scottish whiskey).

Hallucinogen on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I like Black Russians. Equal parts vodka, kahlua, and ice.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Alternatively use diet pop. It is significantly better for the morning after hangover as there is a lot less sugar.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Manhattan. You can make a faux one just by mixing some vermouth and bourbon (0.5 - 0.75 oz. vermouth, 1.5 - 2 oz. bourbon, to taste), though you may want to research how to make a real one online.

This will make the alcohol easier to handle, but it will also give you that real alcohol taste, so use a good one.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    EdgieEdgie TampaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't drink much liquor, and I'm not a fan of it mixed with coke. So when I don't want beer, I'll usually go with vodka, OJ, and a splash of cranberry.

Edgie on
  • Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If you can find some spiced apple cider, mix it with a shot of whiskey. They really compliment each other, and it works well both cold and hot - the hot version being great on a chilly night.

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It might be a good idea to get used to drinking hard liquor straight. You probably won't like it early on, but you get used to it and can develop a taste for it. By your mentioning the type of liquor you like, you could try a vodka on the rocks (but do this with good vodka, otherwise you'll taste all the impurities) or a vodka and tonic.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    PepperSinclairePepperSinclaire Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Go for an 'Old Fashioned" - put a few drops of Angostura bitters on a sugarcube, pop this into a rocks glass and add a little water. Crunch the sugar up with the back of a spoon until it dissolves. Now add ice and pour in a double measure of good quality whiskey, and stir. Add a squeeze of lemon and stir once more. Good for sipping.

PepperSinclaire on
    Signature pending.
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I am a fan of the whiskey and tonic.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I like scotch and water (which is a horrible sacrelige to some scotch drinkers). It is still vey "scotchy" taste-wise, but without the unpleasant burning sensation.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    jeepguy wrote:
    I like scotch and water (which is a horrible sacrelige to some scotch drinkers). It is still vey "scotchy" taste-wise, but without the unpleasant burning sensation.
    Using a little water on single malt scotches, especially the peatier ones, is not at all uncommon. It can actually help to "open" it up a bit.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Midori sours.

A little bit bitchy but goddamn if they are fucking tasty.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Do schnapps count as hard liquor? That stuff's as easy to drink as soda in some cases.

And props on the whiskey and ice. I'm a wuss when it comes to foul tasting alcohol but I was able to handle that dreadful Jim Bean whiskey pretty easily with some ice.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    1 part cranberry juice, 1 part orange (or some Dole combo like orange-pineapple) juice, 3 parts Captain Morgan's Silver Spiced Rum. Cap'n Morgan's regular spiced will work in a pinch, as the latter is easier to find at a bar.

All parts delicious!

Alternately, Captain Morgan's Tattoo is good on ice. Fill a tall glass with ice and Tattoo like you would with any other drink and go at it for a little while. However, like Silver Spiced, you probably aren't going to find it at a bar, so grab a friend who you can convince to try it with you and get some at a store.
    I third the whiskey and ice. Or better yet, scotch(yes it's still whiskey, but it's scottish whiskey).
    Scotch whisky! :)

Also, re: straight scotch:
    Avoid Dewar's. I can't make any great recommendations myself, but as a scotch, Dewar's tastes horrible.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm a big fan of Southern comfort and lime juice

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm a big fan of Jack on the rocks. occasionally I'll add a splash of soda if I want some fizz, but more often than not I'll just drink a soda instead of jack if I want some fizz. Once in a while I'll bust out some Crown Royale for some good sipping flavor.

For those days I want to get intoxicated though, I'll have a shot of 99 apples (99 proof schnapps) with a pepsi chaser. No one needs more than 2 or 3 of these a night to be good.

Veevee on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dalboz wrote:
    jeepguy wrote:
    Using a little water on single malt scotches, especially the peatier ones, is not at all uncommon. It can actually help to "open" it up a bit.

Yep. Scotch and water is A-ok.

I love gin and tonic. But he didn't mention liking gin.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    BenditBendit Cømþü†€r Šýš†emš Anålýš† Ðeñv€r¸ ColørådøRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I like scotch and water (which is a horrible sacrelige to some scotch drinkers).

man. it takes at least 9 years to produce a good scotch, and you add water to it? that's like slapping the face of the owners of the family distillery.

:shock:

drink something else. don't waste a good scotch. please.

Bendit on
    My Live-Tracked Electronica: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhSn2rozrIo
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm usually at 2 speeds when I drink:

Cruise Control- I just kick back and drink some Margaritas, Hard Lemonade, or Daquiris (is that how you spell it?). I will never get drunk, and only barely tipsy no matter how many of these I drink, just out of the sheet volume of liquids to liquor.

Over Drive- I'm drinking to get drunk, and it's all about drinking a high percentage of liquor. I usually do shots, or take swigs. Tequila, Vodka, Shnops are my favorites.

If you're wanting a buzz, you're going to have drink beer after beer after beer, or in your case pop after pop after pop. Or, you can just do some shots.

Mind you, I always drink with friends, and never ever ever ever think about driving. Two most important rules, if you follow them, you'll always have a decent time.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Bendit wrote:
    I like scotch and water (which is a horrible sacrelige to some scotch drinkers).

man. it takes at least 9 years to produce a good scotch, and you add water to it? that's like slapping the face of the owners of the family distillery.

You must have a sore neck from looking down from that high horse?

You do realise when you have scotch on the rocks the thing actually melts and dilutes the scotch anyway, this guy is getting it to his prefered level straight away.

And as someone mentioned water can help to open up the scotch up.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Joseph StalinJoseph Stalin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Bendit wrote:

A splash of water is not at all uncommon, and often makes the scotch better.

Joseph Stalin on
    Let the ruling classes tremble at a Communist revolution. The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win.

Workingmen of all countries, unite!
  • Options
    SkwirlSkwirl Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Makershot wrote:
    Manhattan. You can make a faux one just by mixing some vermouth and bourbon (0.5 - 0.75 oz. vermouth, 1.5 - 2 oz. bourbon, to taste), though you may want to research how to make a real one online.

This will make the alcohol easier to handle, but it will also give you that real alcohol taste, so use a good one.

The way I was taught to make a Manhattan was 4 parts bourbon to one part sweet vermouth, stirred in ice served in a martini glass or on the rocks with a dash of bitters (angstro is the most common brand) and a cherry. The 4:1 ratio would usually work out to 2 shots of bourbon to half a shot of vermouth. A dash is really just three or for drops, the bitters battle has a stopper on the end like vanilla usually does.

I used to drink these, and variations of these all the time until I switched to Gin. Maker's Mark was my favorite bourbon, though Jim Beam works fine, and their black label is pretty good.

You can also use rye whiskey, though that has a sharper taste that takes some getting used to. If you make one with scoth instead of bourbon it's called a Rob Roy. Sweet vermouth is sometimes labelled Rosso.

As a side note bourbon is the official spirit of America. and Bourbon county in Kentucky, which is where it get's it's name, is currently a dry county. So no bourbon comes from Bourbon, though the best come from Kentucky.

Skwirl on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Try some filtered Sake. That shit's pretty smooth.

Also, limoncelo.

Both taken straight are delicious.

Meiz on
  • Options
    HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Bendit wrote:

A splash of water is not at all uncommon, and often makes the scotch better.
    This is true. Adding a few drops of water can take the edge off of the scotch and leave more room for tasting its true flavours. I used to believe that adding anything to a good scotch was sacrilige, but that was before I ever talked to any actual scotch drinkers.

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Anyone mention Long Island Ice Tea? Use cranberry juice instead of Coke.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    KrikeeKrikee Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Alternatively use diet pop. It is significantly better for the morning after hangover as there is a lot less sugar.
    The alcohol leaves your stomach quicker and you absorb more of it if you use diet because it isn't real sugar. Can't remember where the hell I read that though. :|

Krikee on
  • Options
    GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I had a Mojito the other night and it was amazing! Kind of complicated to make but a great great drink.

http://www.digsmagazine.com/drinkrecipes/drink_mojito.htm

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PepperSinclairePepperSinclaire Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I had a Mojito the other night and it was amazing! Kind of complicated to make but a great great drink.

http://www.digsmagazine.com/drinkrecipes/drink_mojito.htm

You can buy pre-made sugar syrup (it's sometimes called gomme or sirop de gomme), which makes things much simpler.

PepperSinclaire on
    Signature pending.
  • Options
    TrashieTrashie Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Second vodka tonics. I used to be a 7 & 7 man but all the sugar made my hangover 10x worse. Though tonic still has sugar in it, it's nothing compared to sodas.

Trashie on
    Trashie.png
  • Options
    lesserbeinglesserbeing Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I like 99 bananas.

lesserbeing on
  • Options
    catalystcatalyst Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Off-topic question:

Is a White Russian considered a respectable drink? I know little about mixed drinks but I think I saw one in the Big Lebowski once.

catalyst on
    MainlineSIX.png