As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Boardgames!

• Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    1000 blank white cards is the greatest game ever.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dex Dynamo wrote:
    1000 blank white cards is the greatest game ever.
    I'd really love to see another Game On of this. The last one died waaay too quickly.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Since Christmas day I've developed a burning hatred of Cranium it would seem.

I played once with my family on the 25th, the game being abandoned after an agonising two hours of attempting to keep everybody aware of how the rules worked in.

And then I played a game on New Year's eve with my friends which was a horrid combination of a good 50% of the people really not wanting to play, a shocking amount who seemed unable to comprehend the rules (the all play bonus dice nearly caused a couple to end a two year relationship early on) and two people who had played the game so much that they had managed to memorize all of the questions.

To make matters worse I've not picked up the TI3 expansion yet either and the guys I used to play with have already dispersed before we played a single game of anything good. I've decided I'm just taking the fucker down to uni and teaching my friends.

Still, I'm hoping that my gaming store has decided to have a January sale so that I can grab an expansion or two for Carcasonne, the TI3 expansion and maybe Power Grid if they still have a copy lying around.
    Hmmmm...temptation. A comic shop near me is having a 50% off everything sale starting tomorrow. I suspect they're going out of business. They have a few games I've been looking to pick up: Age of Mythology, Cosmic Encounter, Fury of Dracula, Mutants and Masterminds RPG, and the WOW card game. Looks like I might be dumping some money soon.
    If they are going out of business then in theory the deals should just get better with time and you'll be able to pick up obscure games for pennies! then again, anything big name will most likely vanish with a 50% reduction tomorrow. The moral here is BUY! BUY! BUY!

Edit: Also, I played a game called Gloom recently. A card game about making your family as miserable as possible before killing them. Nice theme and transparant cards which allow any effect still visible to be in play. Fun, but the small text and occasional smudge on the card due to the printing really slowed the game down (you kind of need to keep in mind exaclty which effects are in play at all times).

The story telling aspect was also shoved aside (largely for reasons of tiny print and nobody could be bothered to squint at the card flavour text for a few minutes and come up with a story about what had happened).

With readable cards though, I think it would be pretty special.

The only problem I have with Cranium is that the yellow category (spelling and definitions) is retardedly easy to do, the red category (random trivia) is usually pretty stupid, and the blue and green stuff is hard but fun, so no one ever picks them unless they are forced. It makes me want to just take them out and make it work with only two categories to choose from, or split up the blue and green stuff somehow.

Jebu on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Jebu wrote:
    The only problem I have with Cranium is that the yellow category (spelling and definitions) is retardedly easy to do, the red category (random trivia) is usually pretty stupid, and the blue and green stuff is hard but fun, so no one ever picks them unless they are forced. It makes me want to just take them out and make it work with only two categories to choose from, or split up the blue and green stuff somehow.
    The yellow and red category are regarded as the most difficult by the people I've played with. Possibly it's a difference between the American and UK versions. Most people pick blue and green. I don't like green though, it's "the look like a tit" category in my eyes.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    edited January 2007
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Jebu wrote:
    The yellow and red category are regarded as the most difficult by the people I've played with. Possibly it's a difference between the American and UK versions. Most people pick blue and green. I don't like green though, it's "the look like a tit" category in my eyes.

Having to spell words like potpourri forwards and backwards isn't especially taxing. It would be interesting if they made the UK version harder though.

The only green thing I can't stand is humdinger. For most of the songs I don't remember more than a couple bars.

Jebu on
  • Smarmy LechSmarmy Lech Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My friends and I enjoy Runebound enough that we play it regularly. I've been thinking of picking up World of Warcraft lately, but I heard that it was similar to Runebound. Can somebody who's played both tell me how similar they are? Does having one exclude the other?

Smarmy Lech on
    Cottontail.png
  • Smarmy LechSmarmy Lech Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    jdarksun wrote:
    GoodOmens wrote:
    Arkham Horror, Zombies, or Mall of Horror.
    Arkham Horror is a bitch to learn and takes a long time to set up, but is tremendous fun once you figure things out. It helps alot to have some basic knowledge of the Lovecraft works, but it's not necessary

My vote: Arkham, simply because I've had such great times playing it.
    QFT. My wife got me Arkham Horror for Xmas, and we just had our first successful game last night with 3 people. The rules are hard to learn (poor layout for one, I'm considering rewriting them), and for your first time playing it's a good idea to have everyone read them front to back at least once. Heck, I'm still unclear on a couple things.

But racing to close gates before the Elder God awoke was great fun. I can't wait to play it again.

I got Arkham Horror for Christmas as well, and I finished my first game of it earlier today. It really is very good.

I was devoured by Yig. :cry:

Smarmy Lech on
    Cottontail.png
  • gredavingredavin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Saturday, December 30th, 2006.

Twilight Imperium: Shattered Empire.

At 11am, 8 gentlemen gathered around a table in cramped apartment to do battle for supremecy.

Who was the victor?

Pictures coming tomorrow, along with a game report.

gredavin on
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    gredavin wrote:
    Saturday, December 30th, 2006.

Twilight Imperium: Shattered Empire.

At 11am, 8 gentlemen gathered around a table in cramped apartment to do battle for supremecy.

Who was the victor?

I love me some TI.

piL on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think I'd really like TI.

I've owned it for something like 4 or 5 months and have yet to be able to sit down and play it.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    gredavin wrote:
    Yes please.

It'll be good to see how the expansion plays.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited January 2007
    First, a few pictures. Later, the game report!

1001544hh6.jpg
    1001545sh6.jpg
    1001546td0.jpg

gredavin on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I love the fact that you've had to use subsidary tables.

What are those pieces standing up like triangles?

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Still, I'm hoping that my gaming store has decided to have a January sale so that I can grab an expansion or two for Carcasonne, the TI3 expansion and maybe Power Grid if they still have a copy lying around.

Assuming you mean Travelling Man shoot me a PM if they do have any kind of sale on.

I highly reccomend Princess and Dragon for making Carcassonne more directly competitive or Traders and Builders for a simple but effective addition to the basic rules.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    Uriel wrote:
    I've owned it for something like 4 or 5 months and have yet to be able to sit down and play it.

I'm really curious about it and want to try it. We don't get together near often enough to justify the cost of it, though.

...and it > my kitchen table.

Echo on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Echo wrote:
    Uriel wrote:

I'm really curious about it and want to try it. We don't get together near often enough to justify the cost of it, though.

...and it > my kitchen table.
    I definitely thought I'd get o play it fairly often with my mom and my brother, but about three times now we've got the whole thing setup, and started doing a few things, and either found out we did something wrong, or simply my mom up and says she doesn't have enough time.

I need more geeky friends that would be more into this I think.

Tallahasseeriel on
    edited January 2007
    Twilight Imperium: Shattered Empire
    a game report by Gredavin

The game was joined at 11am, with 8 people doing battle for ultimate supremecy. Earlier that morning, I had prepped the game by getting all the seats ready with coloured fleets and starting cards.

Also, to save more time (saving time is a must in this game, seriously) I set up the game board ahead of time. Ordinarily, system tiles are handed out to players much like cards and starting with the central system, players place their tiles until ring#1 is completed, then ring#2 and so on until the entire galaxy is built. This can take up to 45 minutes, and considering we had eight players, I would think considerably longer.

We then chose races instead of random draw, going in order of who wanted to pick their race first. Once everyone had chosen their race, players got to choose their starting place on the board in reverse order of race selection. Once both race and starting system selection were done, we chose Strategy cards.

It should be noted that with the new rules set, there is a nice rule for making the first turn much faster. Basically, you choose a system adjacent to your home system and claim it. Then, you can build units and buy tech. It shaves another hour off of the early game. (again, must save time.)

So, the game board was set, the races were chosen, the game began at a nice pace. The races were (starting with the goateed dude in the middle):

1)L1z1x (cyborged race)
    2)Universities of Jol Nar (technologically advanced)
    3)Hacan (Trade Superpower)
    4)Mentak(War like, thieving)
    5)Federation of Sol (Settlers from Earth, space Russians, played by me)
    6)Embers of Muatt (Fire people who start of with War Suns, TI's version of Death Stars)
    7)Winnu (Diplomatic/Tech oriented folk)
    8)Brotherhood of Yin (Warlike people with suicide run attacks, quite deadly)

The early game was rather uneventful with each player moving slowly through space, conquering neutral planets, buying fleets and tech and generally getting along.

That is until the first Law was put into play by use of the Assembly card. The galactic council put forth a summons that allowed one race and one race only to purchase technologies at a much cheaper rate. Votes were cast around the table, with the Jol Nar desperately attempting to buy favour and votes. To no avail, it was the Winnu who won. Then and there, the Jol Nar swore a vendetta against the Winnu, whose home system was across the galaxy.

The Winnu were amused by the threats.

As more planets were conquered, borders became thinner and it was soon evident that conflict was inevitable. What should have been a small clash between the Winnu and Brotherhood of Yin soon escalated to a full scale war, with each culture entering into a full blown arms race. Casualties were atrociously high, and while their nations clashed others prospered under relative peace.

Nearing the 3rd round of gameplay, another Law was put before the galactic council with a near unanimous decision. All were in favour of instilling the draft, where the ground forces of all nations overflowed.

Such actions held serious ramifications, it proved without a doubt that there was to be war. And out of nowhere, the Universities of Jol Nar made good on their age old vendetta against the Winnu, sending their advanced fleets through a wormholel and joining the war across the galaxy.

The L1z1x, sensing an opportunity to strike and tiring of their cold war with the Federation of Sol over a Wormhole Nexus, made an attempt on the Universities homeworld, with surprising success.

Wars sprung up over the galaxy and despite the fact that no others saw the growing, silent threat of the Embers of Muatt, the Federation of Sol realized too little too late that their homeworld was doomed. (See picture#2 above, my homeworld held only a space dock and 3 ground forces. The Muatt fleet consisted of 1 War Sun, 11 fighters, 1 cruiser and no ground forces.)

The Muatt claimed orbit around Sol's homeworld, blockading any further production for the failing race. Meanwhile, the Sol fleet hid itself away in the wormhole nexus, waiting for an opportune moment to strike back at the traitorous Muatt.

However, opportunity presented itself in a different fashion. With the escalating war over the Jol Nar homeworld, both the L1z1x and Jol Nar were suffering heavy casualties. The federation of Sol saw an opportunity. When both were weak, they used a wormhole to cross the galaxy and enter Jol Nar homeworld space. They destroyed everything in their path, conquering the planets in a bloody invasion.

Border wars sparked between the Hacan and Mentak as well, with the massive, powerful fleets of Mentak cruisers laying waste to all who resisted.

The game ended before we could actually have a clear winner. The Universities of Jol Nar had 5 of 8 Victory Points at game end, but lost their homeworld in the last round, meaning they could not claim victory. The win was handed to the Winnu, who had accomplished 3 Victory Points.

Some interesting thoughts:

1) Laws can change the direction of the game in a significant way. We didn't have any game changing Laws put into effect this game, we have had others that crippled certain races. (Fleet Restrictions being one)

2) I am not very good at this game. I tell myself I am, but I rely far too heavily on spoken alliances, which in this game are broken ALL THE TIME. For instance, I had made an agreement with the Muatt that we would be allies throughout the game. I left my homeworld completely unprotected as he slowly moved closer and closer. Thing is, the player actually never was going to attack me because of the alliance, but I told him he would be a fool not to. So he did. Maybe I'll learn for the next game.

3) An eight player game may be too much. As you can see, you need a TON of room, and it was nearly uncomfortable. It takes longer, and as I have pointed out several times I did everythign I could to save us some. We played for 6 hours and we probably could have played for another 6 and still not finished. Its frustrating not being able to really conclude an entire game properly. Unless I find a place who can host this with a large table and large room, I will not play an 8 player game again.

4) You need one person to both run and play the game. I took this responsibility, but I find that it does detract from focusing on playing your race. I constantly had to call out the turn order, reminding players over and over again whose turn it was. (Turns order is determined by the Strategy card you chose). This game would grind to a halt unless you had one person taking care of both turn order and card distribution etc.

5) Despite its flaws, I love this game. I find that the most fun thing about it is not necessariily the game on the table, but the game that goes on outside the table. The secret deals scribbled on paper, the alliances, the treachery. It all adds up to a great social experience. I'm not sure if that means I could make my own Space game without the complications of Twilight Imperium, or that the game itself really facilitates that. Either way, I will always enjoy sitting around the table with a bunch of friends bent on screwing each other over for the win.

gredavin on
    edited January 2007
    Also, to save more time (saving time is a must in this game, seriously) I set up the game board ahead of time. Ordinarily, system tiles are handed out to players much like cards and starting with the central system, players place their tiles until ring#1 is completed, then ring#2 and so on until the entire galaxy is built. This can take up to 45 minutes, and considering we had eight players, I would think considerably longer.
    What? No, it can't. Unless SE really changes things this takes about ten minutes at an absolute maximum. Maybe I'd push that to fifteen if people keep getting distracted and there are eight players.
    It should be noted that with the new rules set, there is a nice rule for making the first turn much faster. Basically, you choose a system adjacent to your home system and claim it. Then, you can build units and buy tech. It shaves another hour off of the early game. (again, must save time.)
    An hour for the first turn? you can't be serious, there is very little to do at that stage of the game. It's only later when battles start that turns slow down.
    4) You need one person to both run and play the game.
    I've never encountered a need for such a person. Was this because of the presence of people not really in to the game?

And I demand more details about ways the game changes with the expansion. Are the new strategy cards any good? What are those stand up cardboard pieces on the board? So many questions. I'm still positively frothing and each day it looks less and less likely that I'm going to have time to pick this up before returning to uni. And I always feel so guilty when I buy board games during term time.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I was going to buy Descent just on general love for everything with minis right now, but then I found out that it has to have a DM-like player. Knowing full well that I would be drafted into that role every single time, I passed.

I can't say enough good things about Battlelore, though.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
    edited January 2007
    What? No, it can't. Unless SE really changes things this takes about ten minutes at an absolute maximum. Maybe I'd push that to fifteen if people keep getting distracted and there are eight players.

Given the number of players, amount of space and also every time we play we have at least 1 new player, yes it can take upwards of 30-40 minutes. New players often panic and get overwhelmed with placing tiles, because at this point they have no idea what is good or bad.

Regardless, an 8 player game woudl take at least 20 minutes, guarenteed.
    An hour for the first turn? you can't be serious, there is very little to do at that stage of the game. It's only later when battles start that turns slow down.

I misrepresented what I meant. In this quick turn phase at the start of the game, you can buy tech, build units and claim territory all in one go. So, you are technically making 3-4 turns combined into 1. Yes, than can shave off roughly an hour off the overall game.
    I've never encountered a need for such a person. Was this because of the presence of people not really in to the game?

Well, granted, most of the people were operating on a severe lack of sleep, and with 8 players its easy for anyone to get distracted. Also, with limited space, you do require one person to keep tabs on all the cards/point counter/public objectives. Keep in mind, we had three new players this game and it helps alot of have one person keep the game moving.
    And I demand more details about ways the game changes with the expansion. Are the new strategy cards any good? What are those stand up cardboard pieces on the board? So many questions. I'm still positively frothing and each day it looks less and less likely that I'm going to have time to pick this up before returning to uni. And I always feel so guilty when I buy board games during term time.

1)Strategy Cards: Yes, the new Strategy cards alone are worth the purchase price. They change the game in a very dynamic and fun way. I am a huge fan of the new version of Political, which is called Assembly. Now, players hold Political Cards in their hand, like they do action cards and when the Assembly card is played, the player chooses either to play a PC from his hand and give the speaker token to another player, or keep the speaker token and have another player play a PC from his hand. For the first time I saw the Speaker card actually be required to break a tie.

The one I am still uncertain about is good ole #8, which has three to choose from now. Imperial, Imperial II and Buraucracy. i can't remember what Imperial II does at the moment, but the last one essentially allows you to take the top two Public objective cards, choose one to put in play and the other to the top of the deck. If you qualify for it, you can immediately claim the point, not having to wait for the Status Phase. (meaning you could end the game then and there should you have sufficient VP.)

Essentially, FFG listened to suggestions by players and tightened up the cards so that they work much better and allow the game to run more smoothly. Without a doubt, if you are a fan of the game, buy this right now.

2) Stand up Thingee's: Those are not official components, rather they were made by a player to clean up the board a little. They are Fleet markers, so you put your actual fleet in front of you instead of the board, mark it with one of the tokens and have a corresponding one on the board.

Final Thought) The expansion still suffers from length. The game is entirely too long. I really don't think there is any way around it. None of the new cards allow people to obtain their objectives any faster, and with the addition of 2 more players it only drags on more.

That said, the new Public Objectives cater a little more to the more militaristic races. Points can be obtained for winning X number of battles, destroying X number of space docks in one turn etc. In the original, it often felt like you needed tech to win, and some races couldn't afford it given their disposition.

At any rate, there is no question you must own this. It broadens the gameplay to cater to each race a little more directly and adds some great new Strategy Cards that open up play and give the game a nice change.

gredavin on
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The missus and I were bored at the weekend, and I was half-resolved to walk down to the game shop and look and see if they had anything good for two people.

This was shot down when I was informed "I don't want to play any of that nerd crap!" I informed her that it was not nerd crap par se, but may well be a very interesting board game that just happens to be sold in a shop with many nerdy items.

After scanning BoardGameGeek, it soon became apparent that almost all two player games do actually look like "nerd crap", like Zeus and Hera and the Catan Card game.

What can I buy that looks like I got it from the local toy store that would be funsies for her and I to play?

And yes, I am aware she is very biased against such things unreasonably. She was scarred by a particularly overwelcoming store owner as she searched for a copy of Fray for me for Christmas.

Lewisham on
    edited January 2007
    She might like Carcassone, or possibly one of the variants of it, like The Castle. I'm not sure if it qualifies as nerdy. Maybe historically nerdy.

Jebu on
  • AkinosAkinos Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Just buy Carcassonne without her knowing and make her play it. :P

Akinos on
  • Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I played my first game of Settlers of Catan last night.

Needless to say, I was blown away. The game didn't look all that much fun, but oh it was!

I was able to snag a victory on my second time playing, I will definately have to pick this game up now.

I have also been looking at Arkham Horror, has anyone here had much experience with it? If so, how was it?

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I played a free boardgame off some website years ago where you printed out the cards, board etc. I think they had a few up on the site but the one I played was called something to the effect of "Dark Angel". Your players were a bunch of normal people stranded after their bus breaks down in a rural area with a building or two. This "Dark Angel" thing would stalk the players and slash them into pieces, the chances of actually standing against her were next to nothing so it was survival all the way. There were objects scattered around the map, some of which could be used as weapons, but your main objective was to get a generator working and call for help, amongst other things. There were a few different ways to end the game which was good.

Anyone have any experience with this? I only got to play it once and with only two other people.

Also this thread needs more online board games. For single-player browser-based simplicity I find this to be a distraction http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/dice/dice.html

SUPERSUGA on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have also been looking at Arkham Horror, has anyone here had much experience with it? If so, how was it?

Check my post on the previous page. Summary: a pain to set up, difficult to learn, lots of fun once you get into it.

I got myself a copy of Cosmic Encounter (the new, Avalon Hill version which I'm sure some old-timers will tell me is a pathetic bastardized version of the holy and flawless original) which I've always had great fun playing. Nice to get it at half off.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • VacuumJockeyVacuumJockey Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I really can't say enough good about BattleLore. I've always had a purely platonic attraction towards wargames in general -- and Warhammer in particular -- but being a total retard at building landscapes, painting minis, etc., I've always kept a healthy distance. Plus, I don't exactly have the Paris Hilton-like finances needed to field a big cool army.

BUT!

BattleLore has come! And so have I! If you're into fantasy and/or medieval battles WITHOUT the hassle of painting hundreds of minis and building landscapes -- not to mention coming up with ways to store and transport same -- BattleLore is the way to go. (I would also submit that if you've ever enjoyed Battle Cry or Memoir '44: Get BattleLore.)

BattleLore's home page. An illustrated review (That i agree 100% with, BTW.)

I remain
    VacuumJockey, BattleWhore.

VacuumJockey on
    PSN: VacuumJockey

"Laugh while you can, monkey-boy!"
    ~ Dr. Emilio Lizardo
  • VacuumJockeyVacuumJockey Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh, and I forgot to mention: BattleLore has excellent support, and a quite useful web-based scenario designer PLUS dozens of additional user-created scenarios, all freely downloadable. Now that's classy!

I remain
    VacuumJockey, BattleWhore.

VacuumJockey on
    PSN: VacuumJockey

"Laugh while you can, monkey-boy!"
    ~ Dr. Emilio Lizardo
  • AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Arkham Horror...I want to like. I really do. The horror theme, Lovecraft, co-op...it all calls out to me. The rulebook and gameplay, however, leave a lot to be desired. I've played through three games now, and just didn't enjoy any of them. Too much downtime, too few actual opportunities for cooperation, overall bland gameplay.

BattleLore - another game I'm not going to get. I already have M44 and C&C:A, and expansions for each. I don't need yet another version of the same game system, especially since I'm not a huge 2-player gamer. The "expandability" model used by BL is also a huge turnoff for me, as are the plain gray unpainted figs.

AnakinOU on
  • UndefinedMonkeyUndefinedMonkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I played the Dunwich Horror expansion to Arkham Horror last night. Some hilights:
    - certain mythos cards can force a previously-closed gate open again. This is scary.
    - Dunwich has its own mini terror track, as well as its own mini boss (the Horror.)
    - in addition to the Twilight Lodge, you can now join a gang of thieves.
    - there's a new type of monster movement (Stalker.)
    - instead of losing half your items and clues when you get knocked out/go insane, you can opt to take an injury card instead.
    - there are quests and tasks mixed in with the common and unique items. They require you visit certain locations and perform certain actions in exchange for a reward.
    - they've added a bunch of new characters, including a reformed cultist and a soldier who can never be detained or arrested.

Overall, it's a lot harder. The terror track seems to move a lot faster, and the added gate locations in Dunwich make the game much more stressful. We went from completely and utterly owning the game regularly to barely staying under the maximum number of gates. There are some really frightening new monsters as well (such as the filthy Color Out of Space.) Overall, I recommend it if you enjoyed Arkham, but didn't feel like it was challenging or deep enough.

UndefinedMonkey on
    This space intentionally left blank.
    edited January 2007
    Christ on a bicycle, shipping is fucking expensive.

After finding that my local Travelling Man was not having any kind of January sale, I decided to look at the cheap online stores.

BGG kept recommending me to Thought Hammer which does indeed offer very low prices (helped by the plummeting dollar), so I add a few bits to my basket (Tempus along with a set of "event cards" for Settlers and the big german collection of Settlers variants), it comes to fifty-five dollars. Woo! That's not even thirty quid (Tempus alone would cost me around that). I then look at the shipping prices. Sixty-seven fucking dollars. Bloody hell.

So no dice. Time to find a store either a little closer to home or one that doesn't want to pack my package in a box made from gold and precious gems.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I played my first game of Arkham Horror last week and really enjoyed it - we were up against the Old One that ends the world as soon as he comes into play (forget his name atm) so that was cool. We won in the end and I really enjoyed it - so looking forward to playing again soon.

We also played Armada (3rd edition) for the first time a couple of nights ago: the idea of the game is interesting enough (pirates killing natives to steal their gold - yay! :p) but some of the game mechanics themselves seem a bit flawed.

For example: if you lose control of all of your ships - you are out of the game - even if you have pirates left on your home base. I suppose that adds a bit more pressure to hold on to your boats - but it makes it really easy to remove someone from the game completely. Also, combat could have been better thought out: a ship with 1 pirate could conceivable take out a ship of 10 pirates. Anyways, I'll try to come up with some house-rules to balance things out a bit for next time.

Also been getting in some Ticket To Ride: Europe, San Juan, and Puerto Rico lately..all great games.

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    BGG kept recommending me to Thought Hammer which does indeed offer very low prices (helped by the plummeting dollar), so I add a few bits to my basket (Tempus along with a set of "event cards" for Settlers and the big german collection of Settlers variants), it comes to fifty-five dollars. Woo! That's not even thirty quid (Tempus alone would cost me around that). I then look at the shipping prices. Sixty-seven fucking dollars. Bloody hell.

The key really saving money at online stores is to get to the magical "free shipping" dollar limit. In Funagain's case, $125.

If you want Tempus, PM me. I could sell/trade you my copy....

AnakinOU on
    edited January 2007
    The problem is that free shipping very rarely applies to international orders.

Mojo_Jojo on
    edited January 2007
    Dortmunder wrote:
    I played my first game of Arkham Horror last week and really enjoyed it - we were up against the Old One that ends the world as soon as he comes into play (forget his name atm) so that was cool. We won in the end and I really enjoyed it - so looking forward to playing again soon.

You are of course referring to Azathoth, the Blind Idiot God which lurks in the chaotic center of creation eternally dancing obscenely to the piping of its slaves.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
  • Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lewisham wrote:
    The missus and I were bored at the weekend, and I was half-resolved to walk down to the game shop and look and see if they had anything good for two people.

This was shot down when I was informed "I don't want to play any of that nerd crap!" I informed her that it was not nerd crap par se, but may well be a very interesting board game that just happens to be sold in a shop with many nerdy items.

After scanning BoardGameGeek, it soon became apparent that almost all two player games do actually look like "nerd crap", like Zeus and Hera and the Catan Card game.

What can I buy that looks like I got it from the local toy store that would be funsies for her and I to play?

And yes, I am aware she is very biased against such things unreasonably. She was scarred by a particularly overwelcoming store owner as she searched for a copy of Fray for me for Christmas.

Having the exact same problem, or troubles as it were.

Basically, I think I might have to cop out for something like The Game Of Life (Boo hiss!) but I thought Ticket To Ride looked interesting, but she snubbed the idea "Riding trains around Germany" . ;)

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    GoodOmens wrote:
    Dortmunder wrote:

You are of course referring to Azathoth, the Blind Idiot God which lurks in the chaotic center of creation eternally dancing obscenely to the piping of its slaves.

Yeah that's the guy! Oh Azathoth...you so crazy.

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2007
    Dortmunder wrote:
    GoodOmens wrote:

Yeah that's the guy! Oh Azathoth...you so crazy.
    Well, at least you're allowed to say his name, unlike Hastur.

Oh, dear. Oh deary fucking hell. I shouldn't have done that.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2007
    Picked up Ticket to Ride yesterday. It's a good, short fun game that has a slight competitive edge, but remains friendly enough that people don't get angry with each other.

I played 3 games with the wife last night, and we completed all three within an hour and a half. It's very simple, but there are different strategies you can employ. Do you save a ton of cards, hoping for a whole stack of the same colour to finish connecting cities with the chance someone else builds there first, or do you claim track as fast as you can, losing more points but securing lines.

I'd recommend it to anyone who isn't a 'gamer' gamer. My wife enjoys a variety of board games, and when we went to pick one up she said that she didn't want an involved game that took all night to figure out. She was delighted with this game, and it was her idea to play numerous games.

gredavin on
  • Mad JazzMad Jazz gotta go fast AustinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    gredavin wrote:
    It's a good, short fun game that has a slight competitive edge, but remains friendly enough that people don't get angry with each other.

Just wait until you both learn the routes well enough to pre-emptively block off access to key cities. Then you'll see some blood pressures rising.

You're right, though, it's very simple to pick up and play, and is lots of fun.

Mad Jazz on
    camo_sig2.png