As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Trinity: Another weekly series from DC

Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm aRegistered User, Disagreeable regular
edited June 2008 in Graphic Violence
9478400x600av2.jpg

Yep, another weekly series. This time instead of four awesome writers and multiple artists, and instead of a lot of mediocre-to-terrible writers and awful artists we get one awesome writer and artist team on the main story (Kurt Busiek and Mark Bagley), and another awesome writer (Fabian Nicieza) with multiple artists on the back-up story.

A lot of people have a bad taste left in their mouths from Countdown (and rightfully so), but they're avoiding the problems that plagued Countdown: Trinity is entirely self-contained, and the creative team (aside from the artists on the back-up story) are set. It's a year of Kurt Busiek and Mark Bagley.

Newsarama gave #1 a pretty glowing review and it makes me more excited for the book.

Garlic Bread on

• deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This may be good.

deadonthestreet on
    edited June 2008
    On the other hand how is one dude going to draw a weekly series?

deadonthestreet on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2008
    well it's only the front part of the book

but also it's mark bagley. he draws like a hundred pages an hour

edit: and since it's self contained, they've been working on it for a while, i believe

Garlic Bread on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Damn you DC for not pricing this at $2.50 like 52. I'd be much more inclined to pick this up otherwise but since I'm catching up with all the Bendis Daredevil(which is fucking fantastic) I'll have to rely on having some extra cash every Wednesday instead.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Trinity is entirely self-contained

I'll believe that when I see it. 3-4 months time, I'm positive we'll see tie-ins to either the Big 3's books, one-shot specials or other books in the DCU for the characters guest starring in Trinity.
    On the other hand how is one dude going to draw a weekly series?

He's only doing like 12 pages a week, if I recall correctly. The other 10 pages should be back ups by Fabian.

trinity1yd3.jpg

That should be the first issue's cover for those interested. Yes, they madea logo worse than Superman / Batman's.

The first issue will have to absolutely blow me away in order to get me to stick with this book. I refuse to get invested in another potential dud and 2 years worth of weeklies has kind of soured me on the idea. I wish they had gone with a quarter or half year instead of year long series again. I'd probably jump all over a 12-24 issue weekly with less trepidation. Bagley is awesome, but he's not enough to sell me on faith alone.

KVW on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm willing to give it a shot based on Bagley's name alone. Hell after talking to the guy for a few minutes at WonderCon I was sold on the idea and he was really excited about it. Hopefully this will not suck, I'm certainly not going to subscribe to this though.

smokmnky on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2008
    KVW wrote: »

I'll believe that when I see it. 3-4 months time, I'm positive we'll see tie-ins to either the Big 3's books, one-shot specials or other books in the DCU for the characters guest starring in Trinity.

Yeah because 52 had so many tie-ins.

They've come out and said that they made that mistake with Countdown and that they won't be doing it with Trinity.

but yeah the logo is awful

Garlic Bread on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    but yeah the logo is awful
    it's basically the worst possible idea. let's pile all of their symbols on top of each other. it sort of works for batman/superman, right?

well the problem is wonder woman doesn't really have a symbol. her chest looks like a w because of her boobs

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited June 2008
    well the logo changes each issue, with one of their logos being on front

i don't know what they do for the fourth week of the month

Garlic Bread on
    edited June 2008
    snapper carr fill in

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited June 2008
    but he's checkmate now

Garlic Bread on
    edited June 2008
    he's trying to chase the trinity across the country, but his jalopy keeps breaking down

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wonder how it's going to handle whatever happens in Batman RIP. Doesn't it start before RIP finishes?

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2008
    superman, wonder woman, nightwing

trinity

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    BigDes wrote: »
    Wonder how it's going to handle whatever happens in Batman RIP. Doesn't it start before RIP finishes?

Have you ever seen Weekend at Bernie's?

Robos A Go Go on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    BigDes wrote: »

Have you ever seen Weekend at Bernie's?

No, but I've seen Bachelor Party.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Yeah I thought that to. Maybe Batman will just hang out with Supes and WW and let Nightwing take care of Gotham.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, no Beechen and McKeaver?

I'm mildly positive about this new series. The hype isn't as extreme as Countdown's, which will hopefully provide some perspective. It has good writers and there are signs DC actually put some thought into it, instead of just rushing it through.

I'm just sad it won't be about c-list characters. I loved the way 52 handled it. The world needs more Renee Montoya as the Question.

TeaSpoon on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, I'd rather see how minor characters are dealing with major events (perhaps even playing an unseen role in them) than following characters who'll be the focus of every storyline anyway.

Robos A Go Go on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man, I can't believe anyone would question Bagley's ability to turn out pages. This is a guy who completed 13 or 14 issues a year of USM for seven years, without fail, and still managed to find time to do other work as well. And he's been banking pages for the book since he became DC exclusive. I think you should worry about the backup artists slowing shit down, not Bagley.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I love Mark Bagley but I am super skeptical

also the fact that the backups dont sound that interesting probably means I will give this a miss

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    I would read this but a weekly is too much for me
    I'll just get the rundown on it by reading the thread

Me Too! on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't know what to think about it being split up into a main story & back up. I can understand how it would let them get ahead of the main story, but I kind of just want to follow one story over the year. Somehow it feels like we're not getting a story over 52 issues, but 26.

Lux on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2008
    I really don't like Nicieza, but Busiek and Bagley are pretty great. But I can't really afford a weekly series at this point, so it's all moot.

DJ Eebs on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I really don't like Nicieza, but Busiek and Bagley are pretty great. But I can't really afford a weekly series at this point, so it's all moot.

this is true for me as well, and its only compounded by the fact that I'd be paying for extra stuff I dont want (the backups) when the Bagley stuff is what I would buy

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008

DC did decide that they'd like to have an event at the end to answer all the questions that 52 was supposed to answer about OYL and introduced those pointless WW3 tie-ins. But ya, 52 barely had any, but I'm assuming the WW3 "success" lead to all the Countdown tie-ins and we'd see a similar repeat here.

KVW on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

DC did decide that they'd like to have an event at the end to answer all the questions that 52 was supposed to answer about OYL and introduced those pointless WW3 tie-ins. But ya, 52 barely had any, but I'm assuming the WW3 "success" lead to all the Countdown tie-ins and we'd see a similar repeat here.

Thats stupid logic and you're a stupid person.

Bloods End on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm not really sure if I can afford this, but I'm at least going to give it a shot.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    but he's checkmate now

What. The. Heck?

Wildcat on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wildcat wrote: »
    but he's checkmate now

What. The. Heck?

Yeah, it was revealed in the 52 tie-in that dealt with the Four Horsemen.

I hope they explain how he went from his last starring role in Hourman, where he was basically a grungy hippy in flipflops, to joining a UN peacekeeping force. Or maybe they did in the mini. I haven't read it yet.

Munch on
  • manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So after reading the first issue I think this series is starting out very strong. Busiek as usual just 'gets' the characters. He also sets up a lot of stuff and some nice Flash and Family action all in 15 pages, which is much appreciated after the incredibly slow and pointless Countdown.

I really hope that Enigma turns out to be Riddler somehow, considering they were hinting it like crazy.

So yeah good first issue, lets hope the quality keeps up.

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    After the colossal letdown that was Countdown, I am still considering buying this. The problem is, I know if I buy one issue, I will be obligated to buy all 52 (assuming it lasts for a year).

What is wrong with me?

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
    edited June 2008
    First half was pretty decent, the backup was almost unreadable.

deadonthestreet on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    First half was pretty decent, the backup was almost unreadable.

Disagree. I liked it all. Especially the backup.

Who's Enigma? New character?

Mai-Kero on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Who's Enigma? New character?

A lot of people are speculating that it's Riddler, due to the name, green in the collar of his suit, and the question mark shaped staff. I'm saying Cluemaster though, due to the question/riddle theme and this solicitation image.

Munch on
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The dialogue between Morgan Le Fay and whatshisname is godawful. Just terrible. Look how modern and casual I am while I banter with ancient sorceresses! And the narrative is badly paced with convoluted comicbook logic.

I suppose the last bit can't be helped since the writer only has so many pages to work with. Still...

I loved the first half, though.

TeaSpoon on
    edited June 2008
    First half was decent, but nothing groundbreaking or deserving of a weekly series. Definitely not enough to get me to stick with it for 52 weeks. This could have been set up as a regular monthly / bi-monthly book with full issues done by Bagley and it would have been a much better solution than a weekly format.

The backup was odd. I liked Morgan Le Fay, but Enigma, who I've heard is from the future and some kind of Riddler meets Two-Face character, but sounded more like fan musings than fact (could be from that weird future where Green Arrow was in Gotham and what looked like Hanged Man from Astro City), was just downright annoying for me. I loathed the character and could only groan at just about every bit of dialogue. McDaniel continues to be one of the worst artists and I don't know if he broke his hand or what, but he used to amazing back in the 90's, specifically on Nightwing.

To sum up, not a fan of magic, loved the dialogue and interplay between the big three, hated Enigma and it wasn't good enough to make me come back next week or for the next year to find out the rest of the story.

KVW on
    edited June 2008
    When this is over they need to put Bagley on Flash

Garlic Bread on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2008
    also, a top-tier writer who will stick with the title

DJ Eebs on
    edited June 2008
    geebs are you going to Wizard World Chicago

Garlic Bread on