As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Vanguard] SNEAK IS GONE SO THIS GAME IS DEAD.

The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
edited January 2014 in MMO Extravaganza
Vanguard: Saga of Heroes

prettyskyqk4.jpg

HOLY FUCK WE HAVE A LOT OF PEOPLE PLAYING NOW, ALSO WE HAVE A GUILD, THE PENNY ARCADIANS, SCROLL DOWN FOR THE ROSTER, ALSO PLEASE NOTE HOW GAY MY PALADIN'S SHIELD IS:
screenshot00024ej2.jpg

Frequently Non-Asked Questions You're Probably Thinking Anyhow

1. wait, what
what

2. no really, what the fuck, vanguard is shit
I know! It was shit! But it isn't now! I can hardly believe it myself!

3. how is it not shit now
For one thing... it functions. It works. It doesn't crash every ten minutes, you don't have to /flush the textures every five minutes, the framerate has dramatically improved, and there is no more hitching (at least to me). There have been optimizations to the lighting and graphics that make the game gorgeous to behold, on top of running like a champ. In essence, this is how it should have been at launch.

4. so wait, people actually still play this
Yes. It's not the most populated game in the world since, you know, the game was a festering pile of shit ass before, but it has quite a few core players that stuck it out throughout the bad times, and has been experiencing one hell of a population rush since (surprisingly) Age of Conan came out. The ironic thing is that, since there are less players than, say, WoW, the community is very close, to the point where finding a group is easier for me than it ever was in ANY MMO. On top of that, it is, hands down, the best community I've ever immersed myself with outside of the early UO/EQ days.

5. ok so is there a free trial or what
Not yet. SOE plans to "re-launch" the game once every remaining bug is ironed out, on top of adding some kind of trial island thing so that people that want to try out the game don't have to download about 18 gigs of data. However, if you've never owned the game, you can find the collector's edition online these days for about $10, which includes quite a few guest passes for people to check the game out. And no, I don't have any, but if I ever do, I will hook you all up.

Information and general shit

Races:
You know what, I was going to type them all out, along with a long description and screenshots, but fuck it, just click here: http://vanguard.gameamp.com/info/showRaces . The cliffnotes version: standard fantasy characters, like humans, elves, dark elves, half-elves, halings, gnomes, etc. etc., on top of a few races for the furry community in the world.

Classes:
Oh man, another link from me: http://vanguard.gameamp.com/info/showClasses . I'll also list them here, though:

Protective Fighters:

Warrior - Meat shield. Standard fare, but they are so fun.
Paladin - Meat shield that can heal. Neat spells and buffs.
Dread Knight - Don't know much about them, but think EQ, I guess.

Offensive Fighters:

Ranger - You use a bow. You dual-wield. You can track.
Rogue - lol, stab
Monk - Martial arts, feigning death, bunch of fags
Bard - Sing songs for beneficial effects and attack for victory!

Healers:

Cleric - Whatever happened to clerics in other MMOs? They've been replaced with fucking cloth-wearing priests. How gay. Clerics rule.
Shaman - I don't know much about them, but I don't think they're like the WoW version.
Disciple - Actually pretty cool, a martial-artist healer. Some zen shit right there.
Blood Mage - USE YOUR BLOOD TO HEAL ME

Casters:

Sorcerer - Deal damage while being careful that a twig doesn't fall on you or else you'll die
Druid - Summons forth the power of nature to destroy foes and heal damage.
Psionicist - Dark Sun is awesome, just so everyone knows.
Necromancer - You get a pet, and you kill things with your pet. Great soloers.

HUGE... TRACTS OF LAND
Vanguard: Saga of Heroes has three continents to explore: Thestra, Qalia, and Kojan. When you create your character, you start on one of these continents. The cool thing is that each continent has its own unique culture. Also, they're HUGE.

Thestra: The traditional fantasy continent. Thees and thous, damsels in distress, retarded wizards, and constipated dragons ahoy.
screenshot00094gh3.jpg

Kojan: The asian-themed continent. Cool place. Looks like a lot like the places in Guild Wars: Factions.
lol no screenshot here

Qalia: Totally arabian. I loved it here, too; kind of reminds me of playing Quest for Glory III.
Sunset_over_Dark_Horse_Downs_in_Qalia.sized.jpg

What race you choose at character creation determines what continent you start out on. Luckily, while travel is a huge part of this game, the addition of Rift Stones make traveling between continents a bit easier.

A few quick screenshots
screenshot00009xw5.jpg

screenshot00007nj9.jpg

screenshot00006ek4.jpg

Will post more later, if this thread even gets anywhere off the ground because, lol, Vanguard.[/spoiler]

Who's Playing

WE ARE ON THE SAREDON SERVER, PM ME YOUR CHARACTER NAME AND CLASS. List goes by forum name/character name/class.

1. The Sneak! - Dyneir, Paladin and Eldian, Cleric
2. Ciani - Ciani, Druid and Celestialsky, Bard
3. Fooms - Fooms, Bard
4. Draeven - Forgot his name, Dread Knight
5. AresProphet - Lyna, Sorcerer
6. chrpnk - Quelin, Cleric
7. Axen - Snog, Blood Mage
8. Toxic Pickle - Xianxu Xoh, Bard
9. Yathrin - Ayamaro, Monk and Kochin, Disciple
10. Arkainn - Nakaz, Dread Knight
11. Yukira - Yukira, Dread Knight
12. Dachish - Dachish, Psionist
13. Sidhaethe - Hasufet, Sorcerer
14. Vae - Tristerian, Druid
15. MiSTieOtaku - Katalmach, Dread Knight
16. Skayel - Skayel, Warrior
17. Corran - Mirrax, Non-denominational, not gonna let the man bring him down and decide his role
18. captaink - Nute, Sorcerer
19. lostcawz - Ridger, Ranger
20. stympy - Carom, Rogue
21 FightTest - Gnerg, Unknown
22. eelektrik - Jarenden, Blood Mage
23. killerkabuto - Tymbel, Dread Knight
24. Fandyien - Sinedan, Shaman
25. Tekko - Ketto, Dread Knight
26. exoplasm - Halbar, Bard
27. GigaWang - Drazool, Bard
28. DiscoZombie - Jendra, Weak Sissy Necromancer
29. flammiebc - Rukana, Disciple
30. Xzean - Xzean, Necromancer and Maluth, Dread Knight
31. Karrmer - Karmerr, the Shadiest of Rogues
32. Sapien Prime - The Legendary Vaeldron Morningsword of Leth Nurae, Paladin
33. Dyvion - Kaidrin, Blood Mage
34. AfroJ - Vasu, Disciple

To get an invite to the guild, you can send a /tell to the following people:
Fooms
Eldian
Foomiest
Skayel
Rukana
Rukane
Xzean
Leyara
Fychan
Roweland
Sindarin

So let me take this opportunity, before I pass out, to show those that are unfamiliar with Vanguard's bard system why it is made of puppy dogs and rainbows and bees that shit out ice cream flavored titties:
screenshot00010qr8.jpg

screenshot00025nt0.jpg

screenshot00026ty2.jpg

screenshot00027gw7.jpg

screenshot00028wu3.jpg

screenshot00029lk5.jpg

screenshot00030fq7.jpg

screenshot00031st3.jpg

screenshot00032rm5.jpg

SO BASICALLY

Yes, I'm aware the OP sucks. I don't care. Hell, I haven't even made a game on thread in eons, but I was so absolutely fucking impressed with how this game is turning out that I wanted to make a thread about it.

I bought a new system because my old one was getting up there in age, and I could barely run Age of Conan even on the lowest of settings. So ever since I got this thing, most of my time spent on it is installing old games I used to play, just to see how well they run on the new rig at maximum settings. One of those games was Vanguard, a game that not only ran like shit on my system, but ran like shit on everyone's system, and was so full of bugs and broken content that I hated the game. Despite that, I couldn't help the curiosity from taking over, and begrudingly reinstalled the game and reactivated my account, after unsuccessfully trying to score a buddy pass.

And holy shit. Not only did the game look gorgeous at max settings, but it was PLAYABLE. No hitching, no ridiculous texture flushing every fucking minute, nothing. And what really once began as something to play while age of Conan was down, became something I cannot tear myself away from to play Age of Conan. It's that good. Characters still run like they have a peg up their ass, but otherwise, absolutely gorgeous game.

What I was amazed with more is the community. There was no idiot inane babbling in the OOC chatroom, just nothing but friendly conversations, and a lot of people seemed to know one another. The community is small because of the trainwreck that was their launch, but as a result, it has created one of the best online communities in a game since the days of yore, if not better than even that. And the hilarious thing is that I have a much easier time finding a group in this game as a direct result of that than any other MMO I've ever played, and when I'm grouped with people, they're friendly, they talk, and it just makes the experience so much more worthwhile.

Another favorite of mine about this game is that nothing is instanced. I don't know who the shit decided that instances were the way to go in MASSIVELY ONLINE GAMES, but he should be shot. Nothing here is instanced.

Speaking of MASSIVE, my cock is erect.

Oh, and the lands are gigantic. It was a huge pain in the ass to travel from Point A to Point B before in Vanguard as a result, but in one of the game updates, Rift Stones were added, that can portal you from one place to the other, including on other continents. And it works. Traveling is still a huge part of the game, but it is roughly 300x easier to meet other players to group with now, and to hit up all those hot dungeons. There are also standard mounts, which you get starting at Level 10, up to flying mounts later on, and in the meantime, you can rent a flying mount for 5 minutes for a measly handful of copper.

I cannot gush about the game enough right now, I'm that impressed with how it has turned out. The majority of people that play Vanguard say that this is the way EverQuest II should have been, and I'm inclined to agree with them. If you played the abysmal beta, or the even more horrid launch, you owe it to yourself to give this game another fair shot, whether now, with a guest pass, or by waiting for the free trial to come out. If you want an MMO with a surprising amount of depth, a solid community, a challenge, a penalty for death (but not too strict; you can't level down), you're more than likely going to love being back here.

Oh, and here's some dude's random review about how the game is now, it's pretty much spot on: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/147/view/forums/thread/182705

Sterica on

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Apparently more people play MxO then Vanguard. At least that's how it was the last time I heard the numbers.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Tav wrote: »
    Apparently more people play MxO then Vanguard. At least that's how it was the last time I heard the numbers.

If you played Vanguard at launch, you'd probably know why. At least Matrix can gather fans from name recognition alone.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My only real opinion of Vanguard from playing it before is:

1.) TOO FUCKING BIG. This was good in some ways, like when you entered dungeons and were like "Oh holy shit, this is enormous" and bad in ways like "Now I get to run 15 minutes to my corpse."

2.) Not enough low-level resource spawns. Maybe that's better with less people whoring them now.

Pb on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Those have both been fixed, duck. They added Riftways now where you can just go to a riftway stone, and teleport to a nearby location, saving about, oh, an hour's walk. There's still a bit of traveling you have to do, since riftways aren't located everywhere, but it's ridiculously more convenient now.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'll check it out when they release a trial, but I have no interest in paying a dime for it. Got in the beta towards the end and it ran like shit, though my computer back then kind of sucked. My box is way better now so I'm curious to see how it looks/runs if nothing else.

Their bards seemed like an interesting take on the class but I couldn't get past my low teens framerate at ugly-as-shit settings to devote any time really playing it.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Loved this game even at launch. They had alot of really awesome ideas, it just needed more time in development.

I loved my Bloodmage so much.

I'd come back if it got popular. (yes yes, I know that's kinda self defeating)

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I kind of... never want this to become that popular. I'm loving the community too much as it is right now.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If there's ever a trial, I'll give it a try

someone giev guest pass plz

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    screenshot00005xg8.jpg

About 5:01 in-game time, and the sun's slowly creeping up over the horizon. Fuck it's pretty.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I preordered this in order to get into the beta because I thought the game sounded awesome with all the things that were promised(And ultimately not all delivered at launch), but was turned off by how the game ran like shit at the time and ended up not paying off the preorder and playing it, despite it not being a truly bad game, it just ran like ass.

Now that its supposedly been cleaned up, runs good now, and I have a much better computer as well, I just ordered the collector's edition since I noticed it comes with a 3-month subscription instead of your normal 1-month. I will give this a shot.

Since mine also comes with 10 buddy keys, I could hand those out here when I get them, since none of my friends would be willing to even try this.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    That would be awesome, eel. I hope you like the game.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    To do a bit of testing to see how the game runs, my fiancee installed it on her system, which is only an Athlon 64 3500+ with 1.5 gigs of RAM and an nVidia 7600. Balanced rendering settings and medium textures, the game runs almost flawlessly. A year ago, it nearly destroyed it. Impressive.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    bananabreadbananabread Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I was always interested in trying this game but got scared off by the reports of shittiness.

Where can I get ahold of it now?

bananabread on
    your sig was too long <3 orik
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    eelektrik wrote: »
    I preordered this in order to get into the beta because I thought the game sounded awesome with all the things that were promised(And ultimately not all delivered at launch), but was turned off by how the game ran like shit at the time and ended up not paying off the preorder and playing it, despite it not being a truly bad game, it just ran like ass.

Now that its supposedly been cleaned up, runs good now, and I have a much better computer as well, I just ordered the collector's edition since I noticed it comes with a 3-month subscription instead of your normal 1-month. I will give this a shot.

Since mine also comes with 10 buddy keys, I could hand those out here when I get them, since none of my friends would be willing to even try this.

I did the exact same thing. I'd really like to see where this game has gone since beta, if you could hook me up with a key when you get them that'd be grand.

I remember the view over Qalia was exquisite. It reminded me of old-school everquest which of course overwhelms me with unstoppable nostalgia.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Fandyien wrote: »
    eelektrik wrote: »

I did the exact same thing. I'd really like to see where this game has gone since beta, if you could hook me up with a key when you get them that'd be grand.

I remember the view over Qalia was exquisite. It reminded me of old-school everquest which of course overwhelms me with unstoppable nostalgia.

This is basically EverQuest 2.0 now, with better dungeons. I was actually considering reactivating EverQuest and just playing in the old zones, when I decided to try this out.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I played Vanguard at launch (couldn't get into beta) and it tore my system to pieces. I loved my blood mage so hard... But couldn't get past the fact that everyone in my guild quit because of how terrible it was. I'm going into AoC soon (as soon as my copy arrives... been waiting 2 weeks now, grrr.) but after I eventually get tired of that I may go back to Vanguard... but you can't chop people in half, or rip their arms off... and there are no boobs. Hrm. Eh, I might give it a shot again. My characters still show up on the web site, so I could just slip right into them again. By renewing my subscription. Tempting while waiting for my AoC box...
    Oh jeez what did you do to me?!

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    None of the classes in this game really interest me enough to get into it... then again... Psionics!

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    OronisOronis Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This is something I'd consider trying out again possibly

Oronis on
    CoX: @Robotjustice
    XLive: Oronis
  • Options
    Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    THE SNEAK you are a connoisseur of everything terrible on the internet

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Drunken Goblin Monk? Yes.

drunkenpandaren on
    Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've been thinking about playing it again.
    wonder if my house is still around I stuck a ton of upkeep on it before I quit.

I had a like 6month sub but cancelled it before all that time was up. if it somehow lets me use the remaining time i'll come check it out again, finally finish leveling my bard last I remember it was at 47.

oh last I knew I also had the penny arcade guild leadership, if I still do we can get that going again

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    A few years ago a WoW guild I was in was invited to the beta but we never really accepted the offer because we heard it was kinda bad.

That being said, my only concern in these types of games is the racial differences. I was skimming through a bunch of them (ignorantly, I don't know what some of the stats mean and I haven't read up on any classes) and all the races seemed unique, or at least relatively unique, in stat distribution and racial abilities. This makes me a little worried about the min/maxer within me. Does Vanguard become a clone fest because people pick the best race/class distributions?

Either way, if they ever do a trial I'll be all over it. Heck, if I can really go pick it up for $10 I might just do that instead.

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
  • Options
    Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I really enjoyed this game at launch/early access but money was tight so I didn't continue with it. Would love to come back when it relaunches and try a Bard out again. The songwriting aspect was quite cool to me and the general uniqueness of every class turned me on to it. Hopefully it relaunches with a trial soon so I can give it another run.

Typhus733 on
  • Options
    TalTal Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hey Fooms!

Few good times were shared, mostly because my computer couldn't handle grouping at all and I was turned into a Diplomat. Sounds like it would do a lot better now, but I just don't have the time unfortunately otherwise I'd probably be back. Damn MMO bug has bit me but it'll be at least until the fall before I can do anything about it.

I always liked Vanguard on paper. The deathknight class seems right up my alley since I loved my eq shadowknight so much.

Tal on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    CripTonic wrote: »
    A few years ago a WoW guild I was in was invited to the beta but we never really accepted the offer because we heard it was kinda bad.

That being said, my only concern in these types of games is the racial differences. I was skimming through a bunch of them (ignorantly, I don't know what some of the stats mean and I haven't read up on any classes) and all the races seemed unique, or at least relatively unique, in stat distribution and racial abilities. This makes me a little worried about the min/maxer within me. Does Vanguard become a clone fest because people pick the best race/class distributions?

Either way, if they ever do a trial I'll be all over it. Heck, if I can really go pick it up for $10 I might just do that instead.

I haven't heard of anyone really going for the min/max thing in Vanguard at all. In the end, I don't think it makes much of a difference.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    ZilartZilart Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I just love the idea of how the Bard is made up in this game. I haven't given it a try, but come the trial, and I will try it.

Zilart on
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I was so excited for this game.

Damn it Brad McQuaid.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I really enjoyed Vanguard for what it was, but was turned off by the slow travel (yay, fixed!), horrible framerates (yay, fixed!), bugs (yay, fixed!) and the loading zone mechanic.

Is the retarded loading zone mechanic still in there? :|
    Also, did they make crafting into less of a grind? Because holy shit, was it even not worth the effort originally.

Glal on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This better not be some kind of a sick joke The Sneak.

Ye be warned. . . . :P

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    In an epic Rick Roll, logging into the game greets you with Never Gonna Give You Up.

Glal on
  • Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Is anything in the game instanced, or is it back to the glory of Everquest where boss mobs were up until someone killed them, creating the awesome guild battles of yesteryear?

Instancing really sucks.

Karrmer on
  • Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Also, where is this collector's edition found for 10$ online?

Karrmer on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    No , clue Karrmer. I'm sure if you do a quick search you should find it. Im sure there is a werehouse full of ce boxs rotting :( Anyways, i started this up a couple weeks ago and to my suprise was running great on my Pile of a machine. I sitll get lag / shitty fps but thats just how bad my computer is. I found adecent group of people to finally level with again, and i dont work nights anymore. I remeber when we first started this up we had a solid 6 man that rocked out hard. Anyways.

I have a ranger at 11 and a shaman at 14, a 20 necro, a 27 disc and a 31 warrior :D Would love to get more people playing tat i can group with that would be awsome. The 3 people o ran ino that kick arse have been playing eq2 recently since..it sounds that eq2 has opened up everyones account tha used to play. Also eq1 too. untell the end of july. Eh, anwyays. Look up Kregnok, poitoi, steravin, Roweland, and then ill have to look up my shamans name later.

Also, helmet graphics are in game finaly, and some look quite goofy they are all still quite nice. They also implmented a shit ton of armor quests. for mid tieens to high 20 = URT in thestra and then low 20's to mid 20's is the Hunters league quests up near Skrillien point. Also they managed to Itemize alot of the dungeans. So many dungeans I really want to go into, but haven't since you generaly need 3 other people to really give them a good shot. They inreased xps abit so its not quite as bad as it used to be. Thgere is alos a veterens reward system and some of them are Xp potions and one of them ins a 36 slot bag.

A to of the classes got revamps, so have skills they didn't have before , and are designed to work differtnly. Like all the tanks , tank differntly, Sk = 2 haneded weapons, warriors = dual wield, and paladins = sword and board. Took me a bit to figure out my warrior again but im enjoying him. I have found its easier to solo 3 dots now then it used to. Having a ton of fun and hope some more poeple join in, would love to join up with the old PA guild if fooms has the lead :D

sorry long post, was thinking about doing this same thread but am very bad at OP's my skillls are weak so thanks.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    edited June 2008
    I think I'll give the game another spin next time the Serious MMO urge hits. I played EQ2 for two months straight a little while back, so I'm still burned out for now. So, crafting less of a chore yet? Loading zone lines less annoying yet?

Glal on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Three questions:

-Does the game actually look fuckawesome on max graphics? Those screenshots you showed do not impress my spoiled ass.

-How bad the is the grind?

-Related to that: how much fun is combat? So you sometimes want to go out just to kill some mobs? Or is it like in most MMOs where combat is a means to an end, instead of a goal in and of itself?

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    @Glal: Yes, the loading zone mechanic is still there, but guess what? It takes me a second and a half to two seconds, tops, and supposedly, the next hotfix will all but eliminate it. No more 15 seconds of crossing an invisible zone line! As far as crafting goes... uh... I'm really not a crafter. I know it's complicated as hell, but very rewarding.

@Karrmer: No, nothing in this game is instanced, nor will it ever will be.

@Aldo: 1. Depends on how spoiled you are with graphics. It looks amazing to me, where the only major bitch I have is that the characters still run like a cork is shoved right up their ass, and some character models are realy meh, but the battle animations are top-notch. The textures on max are great, the lighting effect were revamped and looks incredible, and the dungeons... oh God, the dungeons look so nice. If you compare it to, say, Age of Conan, you're going to be disappointed, but if you compare it to most everything else on the market, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

2. Grind isn't bad at all. Experience gain was increased before from what it was at, so everything moves at a steady pace, whether you're soloing or in a group. Also, there's rest XP, which I was surprised to come back to about almost two full days worth. I jumped from 12 to 15 in no time at all.

3. I LOVE the combat. The best way to describe it is like a cross between EverQuest and World of Warcraft. Every class that I've tried plays differently, so it's really varied in play styles. And yes, sometimes, I just want to go off and explore and kill some mobs, in fact that's one of my favorite things to do. Last night, I discovered a bugbear hut, filled with the fuckers, and I slaughtered all of them, just because I could. There is also nothing quite like the intensity of being stupid enough to brave a dungeon by yourself, knowing full well what will happen if you die all the way at the bottom.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ah you see, I'm spoiled by knowing full well my PC can handle Crysis on max details. It kind of creates expectations whenever I think about playing a new game. You make it sound at least as good as LOTRO, so that's very good for an MMO, I'm going to assume the drawing distance is also miles away instead of the constant mist of WoW.

Auto-attack will be something to get used to again, I guess. Lunia and Spellborn beta have spoiled me in that respect.

All in all this all does sound very promising and I wish they had a trial available.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'm uploading some screenies from when I played when the game first opened. Even then, with quality up, the game looked amazing to me. It just ran like utter shit.

Slow line is slow.

Glal on
  • Options
    elgatoelgato Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hey Sneak. You got any of the new racial mounts?

elgato on