As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[360] Wireless ICS through ad-hoc mode?

MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
So, I've been toying around with the idea of hooking my 360 up to a wireless network, just to make it easier if I want to move it into the living room or something. What I'm contemplating is this

I do not have a wireless router at my place. I do have an 802.11g card in my PC. I can set up the 802.11g card to run in ad-hoc mode, share the connection wirelessly through that, and connect to it from another PC as if it were a wireless network.

Has anyone tried doing this on a 360? Will it see the network, will I have to set it up manually, will it even work with a regular network adapter (i.e. not the microsoft one), etc?

Monoxide on

• Options
    FirebrandFirebrand Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have not personally tried connecting a 360 through ad-hoc (I don't even own a 360), but the wireless troubleshooting on xbox.com has this to say:
    xbox.com wrote:
    If your console is connected to an ad-hoc network (in which devices are connected directly to each other), it will probably not pass this test. If your IP address is assigned automatically and your ad-hoc network does not include a DHCP server, this does not indicate a problem. The test is properly reporting that a DHCP server could not be contacted. Xbox Customer Support does not support the use of ad-hoc networking to connect to Xbox Live.

If you're using an ad-hoc network without a DHCP server and you can't connect to Xbox Live, check a different diagnostic test for the root of your problem.
    http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/connecttolive/xbox360/connectionmethods/troubleshootliveconnection-testipaddress.htm

...which I'd interpret as, yes, as long as your ad-hoc network is setup properly and there's a DHCP server (say, Windows ICS) the console will connect to the Internet. But as I mentioned, I don't own a 360 so don't take my word for it. :wink:

As for setting it up manually, yes, you'd have to do that with an ad-hoc network since there's no access point broadcasting the frequency and other networking details.

Firebrand on