As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Ballance

sQuizirrelsQuizirrel Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
I posted this over at the platforumers but figured I might as well here too in case it piques anyone's interest.

shots_05.jpg shots_08.jpg shots_04.jpg
shots_03.jpg shots_01.jpg shots_06.jpg
Ballance is a level-based puzzle game. The player has to move a ball through a hovering maze of paths and rails. When moving, the player will face many mechanical obstacles like seesaws, suspension bridges, pendulums etc. to overcome. It is the aim of the game to reach to the end of each level without dropping the ball.
Ballance takes its special appeal from the physically realistic simulation of its elements. A good feeling of the ball's inertia and an understanding of simple mechanical processes will enable the player to succeed.

The special feature of the ball is that the player can change its material, and thus its physical properties. The material can be changed from wood to stone or paper.

Ballance is a combination of a puzzle and a game of skill. While the skill component is omnipresent - everything finally depends on steering the ball - the element of intelligence reveals itself in the form of "physical puzzles". These puzzles count on an intuitive grasping of the level architecture and the principles of simple mechanics. They often refer to the physical transformation of the ball. When exploring the world of this game and its rules, the view into endless depths gives the player a continuous thrill.

Righto chaps. Ballance is a real gem of a game, by far the best of it's type I've ever played. It was created by a company [of which this seems to be its only game] called Cyparade and published by Atari in April 2004. Check out the one level demo if this seems like your cup of tea, it's available for purchase online and it's well worth the pricetag of $18.00 in my opinion.

The levels are nice and long, and in combination with the music you'll soon find yourself in some kind of hibbity bibbity zen-like state. The mega replayablilty value comes from the many opportunities for exploits / shortcuts / tricks that you'll kill yourself trying to accomplish for speed runs. Check out some pretty impressive videos.

I reinstalled it for the 4th or 5th time the other day, and when I get back home from work I'll post up my high scores for each level. I thought this game lends itself well to some friendly competition.

If anything hopefully I'm bringing a really nice game that's relatively unheard of to some peoples attention!

High Scores
1. 3995
2. 5011
3. 4689
4. 6192
5. 4042
6. 4436
7. 3412
8. 4425
9. 4973
10. 3726
11. 3949
12. 5890
13. [Damnit I tried to get those last bubs in the final corkscrew]

I'm sure other people can beat these, if there's any interest I'll update the first post with higher scores.

The fundamental idea is a man who runs, and whom nothing stops.
sQuizirrel on

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    the backgrounds look like space-scapes from EVE Online. I'll give this a whirl when i get home, even though my most hated childhood memory is losing over and over and over again in Marble Madness.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Intentionally misspelled words drive me nuts.

It looks spiffy though. I'd buy it if it was on Steam.

xzzy on
  • Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    That demo is terrible.. One stupidly easy tutorial level isn't exactly a very good sample of what appears to be on offer based on those vids.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    damnit

I spent so much time on Marble Blast Ultra for XBLA it was unhealthy...

I'm going to have to buy this

thanks for the heads up

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Reminds me of Switchball. I haven't played Ballance though so I can't compare, but I recommend the Switchball demo to everyone. It's not out yet, but I hope the price will be reasonable, as I hate indie games that charge more then they know they should.
    http://www.atomicelbow.com/

I'd post a screen, but it would cause the dreaded HScroll.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    "We're sorry. Our Systems indicate you are outside the territory authorized for distribution by the software publisher of this title.

Unfortunately, we do not have permissions from the publisher to sell this title outside of our approved territory.

"
    well...i tried :(

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    is this the game that you could install drivers onto those laptops with "lock up incase you drop it" sensors so you could tilt the laptop to play this game?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    avast! told me it was ad-ware. So I didn't bother. Especially not for a single-level demo.

Icarus on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Cronus wrote:
    Reminds me of Switchball. I haven't played Ballance though so I can't compare, but I recommend the Switchball demo to everyone. It's not out yet, but I hope the price will be reasonable, as I hate indie games that charge more then they know they should.
    http://www.atomicelbow.com/

I'd post a screen, but it would cause the dreaded HScroll.

Ahhh yeah I remember playing a demo of this a while back, it seemed to be really nice, glad to hear they're still working on it.

EDIT: Whoops, It was Crazyball that I'd played, downloading the switchball demo now. Awesome.

sQuizirrel on
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    sQuizirrel wrote:
    Ahhh yeah I remember playing a demo of this a while back, it seemed to be really nice, glad to hear they're still working on it.

EDIT: Whoops, It was Crazyball that I'd played, downloading the switchball demo now. Awesome.

You should come back and tell people what you thought, as I always like to get more people interested in indie games.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Cronus wrote:
    You should come back and tell people what you thought, as I always like to get more people interested in indie games.

Switchball is mega nice! More of the same high-flying Ballance-ish formula [and that's a good thing] with some original twists and ideas thrown in there. It seems like it might have a bit more to offer in terms of variation, the dominoes in the beginning was nice, I like the whole magnet idea which will fuck you if you're the metal ball.

I'm super looking forward to it when it comes out. I'm a fiend for games like this, Ballance, Hamsterball, Neverball, Marble Blast, etc. 20 levels? I'm down with that.

sQuizirrel on