As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CF Phalla Signup List

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Quoth wrote: »
    Has anyone ever run a two-faction mini? Is that a bad idea?

Plutonium's Firefly mini was like that, unfortunatley some asshole (me) first day revealed and it quickly became two equal sides completley networked against eachother.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ObbiObbi Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    now I wanna see a Physics phalla too.

You are Acceleration! You get one kill a night with your reckless ways. Should you get in contact with Velocity and determine its derivative, you will gain an additional power.

Fuck, let's just do a math phalla, I'm sure everybody's okay with that

Obbi on
  • FreeAgentFreeAgent Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I do believe that there have been a number of multi-faction minis. cj's rival schools had a bunch of small ones, and the TF2 mini had a red team and a blue team, as examples.

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Thank you both, I will look those up.

I may be running a Discworld mini in the very near future, depending on who is in the invisible line for minis.

Is there a line? Is someone planning one for the next game?

Quoth on
    edited June 2008
    Quoth wrote: »
    Thank you both, I will look those up.

I may be running a Discworld mini in the very near future, depending on who is in the invisible line for minis.

Is there a line? Is someone planning one for the next game?

No line, just whoever says they're interested in running one in here and asks the person running the current game.

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    Obbi wrote: »

You are Acceleration! You get one kill a night with your reckless ways. Should you get in contact with Velocity and determine its derivative, you will gain an additional power.

Hell yeah, Obbi. You are... the Width of the Pythagorean Theorem! You are masoned with the Length of the Pythagorean Theorem. Work together to find Hypotenuse and your power will be squared!

You are... a Vertical Asymptote! You are immune to all player effects, since nobody can ever truly get close to you. Your theme song is "Can't Touch This."

Actually, this sounds awesome. I might have some planning to do...

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Discworld mini would be very awesome. Of course I've never played a PA Mafia game so hey maybe I'm talking out my ass.

I'm on the verge of signing up, but what would people prefer: a Battleship phalla based off the idea that you've got pirates and supercorporations with their fleets/stations in space, of the aforementioned futuristicy psychic thing?

I'll leave the maths/physics idea to someone better informed who can do it justice :P

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    FreeAgent wrote: »

Hell yeah, Obbi. You are... the Width of the Pythagorean Theorem! You are masoned with the Length of the Pythagorean Theorem. Work together to find Hypotenuse and your power will be squared!

You are... a Vertical Asymptote! You are immune to all player effects, since nobody can ever truly get close to you. Your theme song is "Can't Touch This."

Actually, this sounds awesome. I might have some planning to do...

The mafia would be imaginary.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited June 2008
    You are... e^x! You can be differentiated or integrated with no effect.

Quoth on
    edited June 2008
    You are... 1. For every person who refuses to accept that you're equal to 0.99999 recurring, you gain one victory point.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited June 2008
    Alright, I am officially calling Math Miniphalla. It is mine! When I will run it, nobody knows, but the theme shall belong to me.

EDIT: Any math related ideas suggested previously or henceforth shall be considered for actual roles in the game.

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    I'm terrible at mathematics and yet that still appeals to me. Wow.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited June 2008
    I call Avogadro's number.

Quoth on
    edited June 2008
    Edcrab wrote: »
    I'm terrible at mathematics and yet that still appeals to me. Wow.

You are... Addition! You are the simplest of all mathematical operations, but what would the world be without you? God help them all if you die...

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Can I be =/=?

Aldo on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Math Phalla is win.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You are Division!

You may divide someone by zero each night which sends them into an infinite error loop and thus, removing them from the game.

Ardor on
    edited June 2008
    Ardor wrote: »
    You are Division!

You may divide someone by zero each night which sends them into an infinite error loop and thus, removing them from the game.

Loop are programming not math! :lol:

But Division should totally be mafia. 8-)

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm a multiplier, not a divider.

cheez on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I call Fibinacci Sequence... and no, I don't know if that's spelled correctly.

I'm an english major, not a mathematician. But I like that one.

lonelyahava on
    edited June 2008
    Fuck you FreeAgent I saw it first that phalla is miiiiiiiine.

What, maybe I should just try to run a Programmin' phalla instead? That's not near as fun and I think somethin' like that was already done!

Obbi on
    edited June 2008
    Programmin' phalla would be very much like thorgot's DFS, yeah.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited June 2008
    Anyway even though it suddenly seems to pale versus mathematical and physical awesomeness I reckon I'll !sign up for hosting that sci-fi/psychic themed Phalla I was waffling about earlier

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'd make a great addition to math phalla. Really, my sense of humor wouldn't subtract from the village at all.

Unearthly Stew on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You are: Integral sign! Every night you can increase the power of one of your allies to the next level.

You are: X, the most common variable, whenever seered you will appear as an ally of the seer.

I can do these all night.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    edited June 2008
    it's amazin' this hasn't been done already, this is obviously good material.

Obbi on
    edited June 2008
    You could probably have everyone quote comics like XKCD since they tend to use computer/math jokes all the time.

Ardor on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The narration could be an equation for deaths and stuff.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So here's my current Alpha Version of the Phallanoia Buy System:

1000 Credits per player to spent on the following:
    • 100 Credits - Improved targeting on !Zap commands (Personal Limit:1). Zaps start at a unknown but not greater than 30% hit rate.
    • 300 Credits - Secret Society Membership, chosen at random (Personal Limit: 1). Different secret societies may act as Factions with win conditions or have additional bonuses for their members. They may start Masoned, or incur an ability when members locate one another.
    • 600 Credits - Orange Security Clearance, trusted more than your fellow RED Troubleshooters, your accusations are twice as valuable to Friend Computer.
    • 700 Credits - Research and Development has assigned you an experiment device. Use at your own risk. Document the results.
    • 800 Credits - Communist, essentially the Mafia, as much as there can be one in Paranoia.
    • 900 Credits - Mutant, nightly you have a guaranteed kill due to your incredibly treasonous abilities.
    • 1000 Credits - 1 Clone, if you were to die for any reason and have a clone, you are saved.

Information on the secret societies and how many exist in game are a mystery to players. FOR EXAMPLE: The Anti-Mutant secret society would gain bonuses for eliminating Mutants.

Taking suggestions on other Paranoia styled advantages.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
    edited June 2008
    Are there limits to how many mutants can be in the game? It sounds like communists are limited to 1.

I only ask because pre-game alliances could make a big difference in such a game.

Ardor on
    edited June 2008
    Fuck you FreeAgent I saw it first that phalla is miiiiiiiine.

What, maybe I should just try to run a Programmin' phalla instead? That's not near as fun and I think somethin' like that was already done!

What, would players be languages, or some sort of method? Oh, or possibly files. Would their abilities be commands?

Use top and see what the allocation of processing memory looks like! Kills use the most (kill -9 or kill -KILL as it were), guards the next (chmod 700), seers the least (ls or ps).

UNIX phalla sounds pretty awesome too, but only if you're a giant programming nerd. Otherwise the humor would probably be lost.

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    Are there limits to how many mutants can be in the game? It sounds like communists are limited to 1.

I only ask because pre-game alliances could make a big difference in such a game.

I fail to understand your question. Each player determines their role and if everyone's a communist then everyone's a communist. Or Mutant. Or X.

Also added more to the "Alpha" posted above.

EvilBadman on
    edited June 2008
    So technically, I could grab like 10 other people and we could all agree to go one route and potentially control the game from the get-go?

Ardor on
    edited June 2008
    So technically, I could grab like 10 other people and we could all agree to go one route and potentially control the game from the get-go?

I will remind you that all players get a zap command that potentially works like a Vig kill. Also, these are rough ideas and limits may be imposed to prevent asshattery such as this.

EvilBadman on
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't mind the idea of buying/customizing your role, but something about being able to buy your faction doesn't sit right with me. Nobody would want to be a vanilla or a goodie, when being a baddie Mutant or Communist is so appealing. As Ardor says, there is deep potential for pre-game coalitions taking over a strong portion of the game.

I would recommend removing Communist and Mutant as factions from the list of selectable options. Secret Societies I find more acceptable, since there's a lot more variability and uncertainty to be had in accepting such a role. I also think that Orange Security Clearance is too expensive, if all it means is having one's vote worth twice as much and the R&D Experimental device is only 100 credits cheaper to obtain.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited June 2008
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    I don't mind the idea of buying/customizing your role, but something about being able to buy your faction doesn't sit right with me. Nobody would want to be a vanilla or a goodie, when being a baddie Mutant or Communist is so appealing. As Ardor says, there is deep potential for pre-game coalitions taking over a strong portion of the game.

I would recommend removing Communist and Mutant as factions from the list of selectable options. Secret Societies I find more acceptable, since there's a lot more variability and uncertainty to be had in accepting such a role. I also think that Orange Security Clearance is too expensive, if all it means is having one's vote worth twice as much and the R&D Experimental device is only 100 credits cheaper to obtain.

Communist and Mutant may fall under a "Possible Traitor" buy category for 800/900 points with a 33% chance of being either and 33% of being normal. Or even 25% for Commie, 25% for Mutant, 25% Commie Mutant and 25% Normal. Also, swapped R&D and Orange.

EvilBadman on
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    As the Constant Vanillager I definitely support the idea of being able to buy your way into a network or what could turn into one.

Seriously on
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ehhh, Orange Security Clearance is still too expensive. I'd consider it less useful than the Secret Society membership and that a 200-250 credit cost would be more balanced.

Lumping Communist and Mutant together with a probabilistic chance of being neither is a little more balanced, though I still don't like it. Maybe if there was a good-guy role as a chance? I notice no seers in there (expect potentially via an R&D device), so maybe just put all sorts of interesting roles behind the 800-credit screen.

There will also need to be a lot more low-cost customizations in order to allow people to spend all their credits. Be careful on the distributions, since people will be compelled to always spend 1000 credits, which may limit the variety of character builds.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited June 2008
    Blarney is Smart (tm) and I will consider these opinions when I got back to the darwing board. Thanks.

EvilBadman on
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    MrBlarney wrote: »

Communist and Mutant may fall under a "Possible Traitor" buy category for 800/900 points with a 33% chance of being either and 33% of being normal. Or even 25% for Commie, 25% for Mutant, 25% Commie Mutant and 25% Normal. Also, swapped R&D and Orange.

What if you adjusted the odds for Communist and Mutant based on how many people picked it?

FunkyWaltDogg on
This discussion has been closed.