As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EverQuest 2] Now Fully F2P, no more silly splitting of the population!

• Options
    TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I enjoyed the Fae trial, but I'm too skeptical to buy the game without seeing other zones first.

Tzen on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Vray wrote: »
    Years ago a friend of mine got me hooked on EQ when he first let me play around with his beta account. I took breaks on and off and eventually quit right around the time that Planes of Power came out.

I saw this thread and decided to do the "Play the Fae" trial. As soon as I heard the music it was like a nostalgia bomb had been detonated in my head.

I'll be in Lucan D'Lere as a Half-elf swashbuckler named Ryale trying to figure out how to do everything again.

The Everquest theme song always makes me all misty.

I cannot escape it.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The game says I'm not allowed to use chat channels...:x

edit: Acautlly, it says I can't "speak" in chat channels. I guess trial users are stuck just lurking.

Vray on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You can talk in ooc, but not the level channels. Also Tzen I can assure you things keep being good through the later zones, after leaving Greater Faydark you'd step out into Butcherblock Mountains which is a very large zone for Level 20-35 or so. You also haven't fully explored the Fae starting area since theres some places you wouldn't want to go at the trial cap, which is ten. I'll also mention again that when you do the trial you should try as many classes as you can to see what you like. I've personally gotten four characters into their 20's in the full game before I decided on what I liked the most, but all four were still enjoyable.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Not sure they restrict you to the island anymore. I made a dark elf after making a fae and started in Nektulos just like my arasai did, same with the ogre I made (I may have to make a ogre dirge, but only if I can find two rocks that work as percussion instruments... or gnome skulls).

Currently have Amphere, my arasai conjurer on Lucan. The channel seems kinda dead, but I suppose that could be because trial accounts can't talk there (not sure if they can listen or not).

Yoshua on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    It may be that, but it is most likely because so far only one person has joined it besides me =/.

Arthil on
  • Options
    xYUUBINKYOKUxxYUUBINKYOKUx Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    try making it with out the password. There is really no need for one and it seems to still be keeping me from joining

xYUUBINKYOKUx on
  • Options
    VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Still not clear on the channel chat. I see noone speaking and I cannot speak in it either. I tried out the crafting which seemed much better than any other MMO that I've played thus far.

I do wonder how viable provision crafting becomes later on. Will crafted items be in demand or will they be far outdone by drops?

Vray on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mastercrafted items are pretty much the best of the best. The only problem is, the initial investment in training up is huge; if you just plan to make armour for yourself, consider the fact that above level 20 you'll be spending multiple times of the armour's worth in ingredients just to be able to create one yourself.
    And Provisioners do just fine. Food is always wanted, and it's really easy to level up (the ingredients are pretty much always trivially cheap. Compared to, say, ore clusters for armour). Like with all the other professions, only the best item types in the level range are wanted, but at least you won't spend two days every 10 levels farming ingredients just to level yourself into the next level tier.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    So I am liking conjurer, but I still have this feeling of unrest that later on I will become as bitter as I did playing a magician in EQ1. Problem with casters in EQ1 (aside enchanters) is they wound up being trivialized by melee classes with raid quality gear. Each expansion melee classes would get a great bump up in power but all the damage dealer casters got rather mediocre upgrades.

Spell foci helped somewhat, as well as spell crits. And that put wizards back into the game, but magicians were still the red headed step child of Norrath as much of their damage was tied up in their pets, which could only be improved so much.

Granted, I can probably solo my way to all the AA and levels I need, but I actually like grouping. Please tell me I won't be hating life late game as a conjurer. I will not stay online 6 hours LFG ever again (as I often did in EQ1 after PoP was released, god that sucked).

Yoshua on
  • Options
    rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Conjuror's are a very desired class for grouping and raiding. Not only can you summon power (mana) shards that you can dole out to your group, but you can summon a groupmate to you. And, you can do amazing DPS against single targets or groups of mobs.

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Well getting into a normal group? You'll be fine, late end raiding might be more of a problem though. I recall someone I talked to saying that Necromancer's aren't wanted for the end-game raids though I'm not sure if that includes Conjuror's as well. Though really I say play what you want, generally if a guild/whatever is so addicted to phat lewt that they aren't willing to differ from the normal group type I say screw 'em.

Arthil on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Arthil wrote: »
    Well getting into a normal group? You'll be fine, late end raiding might be more of a problem though. I recall someone I talked to saying that Necromancer's aren't wanted for the end-game raids though I'm not sure if that includes Conjuror's as well. Though really I say play what you want, generally if a guild/whatever is so addicted to phat lewt that they aren't willing to differ from the normal group type I say screw 'em.

Whoever said that Necromancers weren't wanted in end-game raiding was talking out his ass. Necros can summon dark hearts for power (mana) for an entire raid, and they can also feign death and rez to save a raid wipe. Not only that, but necros are very capable of putting out a ton of DPS on single or group encounters... Necros are fine for raiding, as are conjies...

rehtonAesoohC on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Good to hear, but I almost re-rolled at "CoH and mod rod bitch" then you said good DPS and all was well again. (Been on raids in EQ1 where all I was allowed to do was summon mod rods and CoH people, never again).

Yoshua on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So my e-mail tells me...
    Free Game Play
    All inactive EQII subscribers and trial accounts (in good standing) have been reactivated to enable free gameplay from June 2, 2008 until July 31, 2008.
    I checked my trail account and it appears to be true. Guess I'll have to install some EQ2 this week and actually play it for the first time. Gnome Magician, here I come!

Hmmm, wonder if this works with new trial accounts. Someone go find out.

Accualt on
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It's also for the original Everquest, which I'm currently starting to patch. While the timer keeps switching between 5 and 6 hours. 94041904qr2.gif

I'd find out about the new trial account thing, but my video card's lack of pixel shading prevents me from running it.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I am installing the CE edition of this that I have never activated. Friend told me to pick up a copy of EQ2 before I came over to his house one Sunday afternoon because he'd been playing on a PvP server and it was wonderful. I was all a twitter, after all EQ1 was my first MMO. So I head to at store at the mall that was going out of business and bought the CE for $25. In the thirty minutes it took me to get to his house he decided EQ2 was terrible and he wasn't going to play it anymore.

I couldn't return the thing so it has sat here taunting me for years now. Pretty nice CE but I imagine I'll be patching for the next week.

I just checked the info on my old as dirt trial account:
    * Entitlement: Desert of Flames + In-Game Item: Genie Bottle
    * Entitlement: Echoes of Faydwer
    * Entitlement: Kingdom of Sky
    * Entitlement: Rise of Kunark
    * Entitlement: The Bloodline Chronicles
    * Entitlement: The Fallen Dynasty
    * Entitlement: The Splitpaw Saga
    * In-Game Item: Cloak of the Void (requires The Shadow Odyssey)
    * In-Game Item: Mysterious Shard
    * In-Game Item: Ring of T'Haen
    * In-Game Items: EQII Living Legacy Promo Items

Huh, so if I go active are they giving me all of the expansions for free?

Accualt on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    I am installing the CE edition of this that I have never activated. Friend told me to pick up a copy of EQ2 before I came over to his house one Sunday afternoon because he'd been playing on a PvP server and it was wonderful. I was all a twitter, after all EQ1 was my first MMO. So I head to at store at the mall that was going out of business and bought the CE for $25. In the thirty minutes it took me to get to his house he decided EQ2 was terrible and he wasn't going to play it anymore.

I couldn't return the thing so it has sat here taunting me for years now. Pretty nice CE but I imagine I'll be patching for the next week.

I just checked the info on my old as dirt trial account:

Huh, so if I go active are they giving me all of the expansions for free?

Yea as long as you resub you get everything released so far for free permanently.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Even for trial accounts? That is nice.

Too bad the est time for my patcher is still 17:17:07

Accualt on
  • Options
    dnilbdnilb Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    wow this is really awesome

while i'm waiting to try out AoC I'm definetly going to install this again

I have a 56 brigand and 52 zerker (which is decked out completetly) on Nagafen if anyone wants to join me. I'll probably join back up with my old guild once I get back into freeport. I exiled before I left and put up a bunch of stuff on the AH, but I already did the grinding quests to get back to freeport so i'm golden. I'm also really happy how they changed the quests so you can go back to way low level zones and grab your AA that you missed. that in itself is a whole new reason to play again!

if anyone plays on nagafen let me know I'll be glad to help out with crafting some gear, rares (I have a lot of them for low levels especially), and anything else.

time to patch for 20 hours!

dnilb on
    dnilb.png
  • Options
    KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hmmm, I may have to re-install for the free month.

I do so enjoy free things.

EDIT: Acc, what server?

Also I like how I get veteran rewards for account age, not for how long I've actually played EQ2.
    * EQ2 Sep2007 Winback
    * Entitlement: EverQuest II Beta Access
    * EverQuest II In Game Item: Birthday Cake
    * EverQuest II In Game Item: Vodka
    * In-Game Item: 1 Day Vet Reward
    * In-Game Item: 182 Day Vet Reward
    * In-Game Item: 30 Day Vet Reward
    * In-Game Item: 365 Day Vet Reward
    * In-Game Item: 547 Day Vet Reward
    * In-Game Item: 7 Day Vet Reward
    * In-Game Item: 730 Day Vet Reward
    * In-Game Item: 90 Day Vet Reward
    * In-Game Item: Carnivorous Plant
    * In-Game Item: Clockwork Copter
    * In-Game Item: Heritage
    * In-Game Item: Pet Monkey
    * In-Game Item: Pouch of the Well Traveled

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This is so fucking weird.

Yesterday I had a hankering to play EQ2 again so i started up the patcher and went into my subscriptions screen to resub. And it said i already ahd one, and yet hadn't paid since February. Huh. Couldn't figure out why the fuck that was.

And now I know. Really bizarre that I decided to resub on the day the promo started.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I was just looking at that myself since I ordered Vanguard and was looking at which station account of mine I had originally preordered it on and noticed EQ2 claiming I had an active 60-day subscription. Now that I know its not just a weird error in their system, I'm redownloading it, just because its there.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I have no idea what server. What server was the old PA guild on?

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I don't remember.

I know that the last time I played I was on Antonia Bayle, though.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    My characters(A whole level 9 as the highest) I made using a trial, are on Antonia Bayle as well. I remember enjoying that Coercer though.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Man, I knew that Everquest has a lot of expansion but 15 of them? I couldn't imaging paying for all of those.

How many expansions does Everquest II have? I think it's five.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Has anyone tried downloading the EQ1 client? My download keeps timing out partway through.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Bama wrote: »
    Has anyone tried downloading the EQ1 client? My download keeps timing out partway through.
    I downloaded it just fine yesterday.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    EQ2 has 4 expansion packs, and 3 adventure packs (dungeons/questlines).

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    ._. Wow, I come back from being sick as a dog for the most part sad that my account expired while I was, and they give me two months free two days after it did =o? Whoohoo! Thanks for changing the thread name for me Accault. If any of you guys have read through the rest of the thread you'll know I had been playing on Lucan D'Lere o.o... though... this counts for the original Everquest? I think I had a trial for that...

Apparently how you get the download for the original Everquest is go to the site, to the right there will be a Living Legacy thing. Then click the Everquest side and it gives you a think for downloading it at the bottom. So far its hovering around... two hours for me. I'm happy that this brought my EQ2 account back to life but I'd like to see what the original is like while I get the chance too.

Arthil on
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hmm. I checked my account status and only have free play for EQ1, EQ2 is still listed as inactive. That's not fair =p

Ranlin on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Sadly it seems that this didn't count for my account which expired on the 30th. It did count for my other Everquest 2 trial account as well as my Everquest one.

Arthil on
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well, I'll reinstall EQII to see how it runs on this new system... I love Norrath, and the music of the game, but it just felt too dumbed down for me to get into, and the combat has always looked and felt sloppy to me.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Bit of a warning to anyone who decides to download the Everquest thing, took me maybe forty minutes to an hour to download the installer, but its taken... a long fucking time to patch.

Arthil on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Mines been patching for about 7 hours or so, and is still going. Just going to leave it on while I sleep... Granted it didn't help it that I was playing CoH while it was going, but oh well, I wasn't expecting to play tonight anyways.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    It says that I have an hour and thirty five minutes left to go, lies I say. Anyway I'm wondering what class I should try out.

Arthil on
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Mmm, I may do this to see what my Dark Elf Magician looks like after all these years.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Welp, I'm done patching EQ2, prolly going to roll a Sarnak something or other.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Arthil wrote: »
    Sadly it seems that this didn't count for my account which expired on the 30th. It did count for my other Everquest 2 trial account as well as my Everquest one.

The promo was only for accounts that were expired for 60 days or longer.

So my account got freebie reactivated, and now on Monday I'm going to get my Mythical epic. YES!

rehtonAesoohC on