As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Games With Similar Combat System?

stogradystogrady Registered User new member
edited June 2008 in Penny Arcade Games
Hello,

Can anyone recommend a video game with a similar combat system for the PC? I really liked how combat was handled in this game and would like to try other games that play in a similar way.

Thanks!

stogrady on

• Options
    PhanmanPhanman Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    None that I can think of.

PAA has quite possibly the most unique combat system ever created by mortals.

Phanman on
    Wii Code: 6596 9931 4190 2980
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I can't think of any for the PC.

Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario (and its first sequel) were similar with the timed hits, but they were for the SNES, N64 and Gamecube respectively.

Oats on
  • Options
    stogradystogrady Registered User new member
    edited June 2008
    Ok thanks guys.. I guess I'll just have to wait for Episode 2! :)

stogrady on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga (and Partners in Time) have been mentioned before.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    PoojipooPoojipoo __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah there's not really any others for the PC, but the combat system in PAA is definately influenced by Mario RPG, Mario superstar saga and partners in time. Just doubling up on what others have already said. :D

Poojipoo on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Your character's major attacks seemed to have been taken directly from Shadow Hearts, which I think was the most interesting battle system in a JRPG.

The first 2 were fantastic (2nd one is prolly my fav. RPG on the PS2), the third one fell short of the mark.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden

It's more of a SNES RPG, but the combat requires absolute precision in timing to do maximum damage. That is to say it's exactly like the PAA combat system, but less forgiving.

B,SUaJ:G is also free.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think Gladius came out for the PC, but I'm not sure.

I like to think the Swing meter in Gladius had some influence with PAA, but probably not. It's just a conflation of a dozen different games, from Chrono Trigger to Paper Mario.

There's nothing wrong with that.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    TherumancerTherumancer Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Similar?

Well both Anachronox and Septerra Core come to mind. Both being western adventure game/RPG hybrids with a party of multiple characters.

"Similar" does not equate to "identical" in this case though.

>>>----Therumancer--->

Therumancer on
  • Options
    rufiorufio Registered User new member
    edited June 2008
    Crono Trigger for the SNES also has a similar combat system. It has team attacks and you can turn on real-time battle in the game options. It does not have three levels of abilities that can be used at various time levels tho. It was, however, imo one of the best RPG's on the SNES.

rufio on
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    rufio wrote: »
    Crono Trigger is, however, one of the best RPG's ever made.

fixed.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    BoarBoar Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Final Fantasy X has a relatively similar "real time turn based" combat system.

Boar on