As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Momentous Occasion of the Week 06/04/08

ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Graphic Violence
As posted in the Avengers thread by our lovable Weekly Crisis dude, Secret Invasion #3:
1212598308995at3.jpg

Bendis ended an action-packed issue with a sweet, if not entirely unexpected, cliffhanger, just as he has every other issue? No way!

But actually, Secret Invasion was pretty awesome this week. Beautiful art. Liked the page of Venom getting blasted off Thunderbolts Mountain.

Whachu dudes think?

pygsig.png
Zeromus on

• smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Vision:
    no, he'd better not be dead.

Same goes for Hulkling

smokmnky on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There were lots of potential deaths in this issue, but I get the feeling it was all for the sake of theatrics.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited June 2008
    holy fucking shit that's a comically oversized gun

Whippy on
    edited June 2008
    So that ended my debate about Jessica being a Skrull. Bale I admit it I was wrong on that one

smokmnky on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The last couple pages of Kick-Ass...

Shit just got real.

Sharp101 on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I don't see how he could possibly hold that comfortably.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Jesus christ. I was losing a little faith in the whole Kick-Ass thing, but god damn, issue 3 was pretty awesome.
    cuntsru7.jpg

Crazy loli with sword puts Robin to shame as best sidekick ever.

rooftopscg2.jpg

Yes, jumping rooftops isn't like in the comic books. Loved the "fuck this, I'm walking" line.

KVW on
    edited June 2008
    IIM was pretty sweet. I love Peper in this as well as the Thor scene and Tony's stuff with Rhodes
    Chipped the suit, that self-righteous stubborn...chipped my suit

smokmnky on
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The Phobos kid seems completely out of place in an full scale alien invasion. In a Shield outfit, no less; they probably had it special made. Still, if it works out, I propose he joins Power Pack.

TeaSpoon on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2008
    Justice Society #16 was awesome. It wasn't explosions or action or anything, but it was such a fun read. Gog is so creepy with his smile

Garlic Bread on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The endings to both Kick-Ass and Secret Invasion.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited June 2008
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    The last couple pages of Kick-Ass...

Shit just got real.

Man, my shop didn't get a full shipment of Kick-Ass and I have to wait until next week. :(

I was so pissed off.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What's so cool about a little girl killing dudes? This is as inscrutable to me as when you guys got excited about Barracuda shooting a baby in Punisher.

Robos A Go Go on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It seems like it kind of clashes with the semi-realistic tone Millar's had so far too.

Munch on
    edited June 2008
    What's so cool about a little girl killing dudes? This is as inscrutable to me as when you guys got excited about Barracuda shooting a baby in Punisher.

We aren't celebrating the fact a little girl is doing it or that a baby was (supposedly) killed. It's just shocking in a "I can't believe they did that" kind of way. And, to be fair, the girl killed a bunch of drug dealers and gangsters that were going to kill Kick-Ass. To me, it's the same as seeing Nova ripping out Annihilus' throat (zomg spoilers!) or any other desensitized act these days.

I'm not saying you are wrong or we're right for enjoying or finding that to be a "moment", but you don't seem, and I could be wrong and missed you voicing concerns over it, to have a problem with Walking Dead level violence as long as it is on and by adults. Is that correct? Is it just the fact it's a little girl that makes it inscrutable to you?

I, personally, see this as a disturbed girl that, after seeing a "super hero", takes out what would have probably ended up a school shooting or other desparate act, if we looked at this in a completely real world setting, in the form of super hero vigilantism. I'm still treating it as an over the top take on real life super heroes and don't actually see or choose to ignore the fact it's a 12 year old girl (or whatever) killing people and it's just a mature themed super hero comic.

Interesting take on it by you though. First tiem I've noticed comments along those lines. Were you upset about the 16 year old Kick-Ass (think he's 16) beating people half to death with asps in the previous issue or did the clearly underage little girl cross the line? Again, just looking for more info on what made this particular scene worse than others in comics, not judging or criticizing your view.

KVW on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008

barracuda didn't shoot a baby, though

he just wanted you to think he did

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

he did use it to kill a giant super skrull

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Is it bad that I dropped Secret Invasion and all related cross-overs this week? I just wasn't getting into it.

Is it also bad that I'm probably dropping Iron Fist after Fraction moves on?

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
    edited June 2008
    yes to number 1

too soon to tell for number 2

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think the main problem is that it smacks of just another one of those summer specials that probably won't do anything. I expect it to end in some farcical deus ex machina.

Like Tony Stark will wake up at the end covered in bourbon sweat from the previous night's debaucheries and realize it was all a drunken nightmare or something.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
    edited June 2008
    uh

but Marvel events pretty typically always have lasting effects

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    See, that just goes to show that I've not been following Marvel comics closely enough.

Descendant X on
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, uh, Civil War, anyone? Not really seeing where you're coming from, Descendant X.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    uh

like spider-man's unmasking, right

(take that)

Garlic Bread on
    edited June 2008
    Snap.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited June 2008
    I wasn't moralizing. I just don't get the whole, "I can't believe they did that!" thing. I mean, this is Millar and, in the other example, Ennis. They've made a career out of doing stuff like this.

It just strikes me as par for the course.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    uh

(take that)

yeah that one thing was undone

but Civil War completley changed the Marvel U

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    uh

(take that)

yeah that one thing was undone

but Civil War completley changed the Marvel U

Most of the changes are super ficial though. Civil War did change things, but the entire New Avengers / unregistered heroes thing is just one big running cliche with them always being let go. There's never any conflict there and the teams never once fought and the pro-Regs never even attempted to take the NA team in.

There's definitely change, but a lot of it feels like they could have done it without Civil War ever having happened. Everything in NA or MIghty could have happened without the pro or anti-regs, same with launching a government sponsored Initiative or the Thunderbolts.

It just feels more like they are telling us somethign big, dramatic and long lasting happened instead of it actually having occured. Like Crisis of Infinite Earths changed everything about the DCU. Infinite Crisis didn't do anything. THere were superficial changes, but, like Civil War, nothing built off of it and every possible story telling possibility was ignored in favour of moving onto WWH and then SI and after this we'll probably move on to whatever Doom has planned and so on. Just constant chagnes in status quo that promptly get ignored.

Anotehr big example is Spider-Man. House of M / remembering life with Gwen, having kids, etc? One issue in Son of M and enver mentioned again, despite numerous story telling possibilities and conflict with MJ and his current life. The Other, where he died and came back to life and got new powers? Forgotten immediately in favour of Iron Spidey. Iron Spidey? Some neat possibilities with an ugly costume forgotten (well, it's in Initiative now I guess) so they could unmask him. We all know how that one turned out. And all of that and the last 20 years were forgotten in favour of Brand New Day.

Yes, there wer edozens of status quo changes for Spidey in the last while and all of them were huge deals and should have had long lasting implications, but none of them delivered and were skipped in favour of the next big thing.

I can see where Descendant X is coming from with SI, as I'm not overly impressed (well, the scenes are impressive, but generica nd I know nothing will come from any of it and it will be glossed over 3 months after SI ends) with anything happening. It looks like it should be a great event, but I can't get emotionally invovled in teh slightest and I think it's more to do with the constant "universe altering" status quo shifts that amount to basically nothing, in my opinion at least.

KVW on
    edited June 2008
    That is such a horribley one sided argument, you pick and choose the stuff didnt stick and completley ignore everything else

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MikeMcSomethingMikeMcSomething Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I like how the huge gun says "Glock" on it

MikeMcSomething on
    edited June 2008
    House of M irrevocably changed the entire X-corner of the universe, the entire direction of that franchise is still being driven by the fallout of that event

You may have also forgotten that House of M was the impetus for Ms. Marvel to become a hero again, her solo title launched out of the aftermath and her profile has been raised from 3rd string avenger with nonsensical history to field leader of one of Marvel's premiere teams

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    KVW wrote: »
    Anotehr big example is Spider-Man. House of M / remembering life with Gwen, having kids, etc? One issue in Son of M and enver mentioned again, despite numerous story telling possibilities and conflict with MJ and his current life.
    This right here pissed me off more than anything else Marvel has done in the past five years.

So much wasted potential.

deadonthestreet on
    edited June 2008
    Actually, that was referenced in Son of M when Spider-Man beat the shit out of Pietro.

Also, that was the thing that pissed you off most of all?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2008
    uh

(take that)
    Well, I mean, if he hadn't unmasked, no one would know who he is, including the Kingpin, and the hit would have never been put out on his aunt, who would have never been shot, which means the entirety of One More Day wouldn't have happened, so Brand New Day would have never happened so pretty much you are entirely wrong there Keith.

deadonthestreet on
    edited June 2008
    Actually, that was referenced in Son of M when Spider-Man beat the shit out of Pietro.

Also, that was the thing that pissed you off most of all?
    Well yeah but it could have and should have been so much more, really.

deadonthestreet on
    edited June 2008
    How so?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2008
    uh

(take that)
    Well, I mean, if he hadn't unmasked, no one would know who he is, including the Kingpin, and the hit would have never been put out on his aunt, who would have never been shot, which means the entirety of One More Day wouldn't have happened, so Brand New Day would have never happened so pretty much you are entirely wrong there Keith.

would that have been a bad thing??

Garlic Bread on
  • DreamonDreamon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I have a question about SI #3
    Well as far as i can see the fight was going at the middle up to a point where a "giant" skrull with uber powers came and pawned both nubile avengers and initative. Whoose powers did he had? Electro?
    uh

(take that)

Well I agree that an unmasked spiderman would have been a challenging title to keep up or even write about but still it is better than having a another green goblin or bizzarro venom.

Dreamon on
    edited June 2008
    That is such a horribley one sided argument, you pick and choose the stuff didnt stick and completley ignore everything else

I'm pretty sure I covered every major event from the last little while and gave reasonable explanations as to why I don't think they were all that universe altering. In leiu of side tracking the MotW anymore than it has been, I'll just let it go though.

Here's an awesome Nova splashpage to get things back on track.
    fuckyanovahr1.jpg

KVW on
    edited June 2008
    would that have been a bad thing??
    Well, I'd have rather they went with the post House of M Gwen-or-MJ-am-I-holding-her-back stuff, but the BND stories have been good comics.

But that's aside from the point, which was that nothing changed because of the unmasking when in reality everything changed because of the unmasking.

deadonthestreet on