As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Flame on: Windows Vista

1252627282931»

• fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh. That's what UAC is. Hah. So, leave it on, deal with the pop-ups, then? This would be your recommendation?

my own personal recommendation yes. i've learned to put up with it, cause it actually does help me to make sure i'm not doing something dumb when fooling around with system files and such. it also does force your system to require physical user input to change anything critical. so for example, if a piece of really bad malware made it onto your computer and tried to change system settings around, UAC would theoretically kick in and ask you if that's an ok action to take first.

if you're just doing everyday stuff with non-system files and normally-installed programs, UAC doesn't even pop up.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've found that after the first couple weeks of usage on a new install, UAC barely bothers me. Maybe once or twice a week as I install a new program.

Dehumanized on
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man, I'm moving shit between folders all the time. It hates that. You get two pop ups for moving a file.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man, I'm moving shit between folders all the time. It hates that. You get two pop ups for moving a file.

stop moving things between folders that UAC protects. the "my documents" section was created for a reason.

Dehumanized on
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

stop moving things between folders that UAC protects. the "my documents" section was created for a reason.

Downloaded Mods getting moved to my WoW folder is pretty common, no way around that. I'll admit, I didn't know that the My Documents folder wasn't covered by the UAC. Also, I get "bad install" warnings pretty often. Is that normal? I installed Age of Conan, it told me it didn't install correctly (it did). I installed Crysis, same thing. WoW? Same thing. =/

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You can create folders and those won't get UAC pop ups either. I get the "might not have installed correctly" warning from time to time and so far have had no issues.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Cbf reading 50 pages, I am just going to assume we are venting about Vista.

Is it just me or is the search function absolutely fucking bullshit? Nothing has frustrated me more than this.

mooshoepork on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    For the past few days my Vista laptop has been experiencing massive hangs.

Boot up, log in, let everything load up... if I open up a couple of programs like Word and Firefox, as soon as I do anything such as open a new tab or type a sentence the whole system will just hand for a solid 1-2 minutes and then finally resume.

No error messages, no crashes, just hangs and accesses the drive for no apparent reason.

I defrag fairly regularly and this computer is not in heavy use at all ( just used for browsing and MS Word ) so I can't imagine that file fragmentation is to blame...

Jasconius on
    edited June 2008

Is it just me or is the search function absolutely fucking bullshit? Nothing has frustrated me more than this.

I like the Start Search feature for finding programs... it's nice...

I haven't really done any file searches yet though... I keep my stuff fairly organized.

Jasconius on
    edited June 2008
    Jasconius wrote: »

I haven't really done any file searches yet though... I keep my stuff fairly organized.

Yeah, the program search is win. File search, however isn't. It pisses me off just thinking about it.

Also, I have found networking on vista extremely painful. Computers on my network always disappear. I have to reboot to get them to show up again, and when I do that, different ones appear, and others disappear :P

mooshoepork on
    edited June 2008

Yeah, the program search is win. File search, however isn't. It pisses me off just thinking about it.

Also, I have found networking on vista extremely painful. Computers on my network always disappear. I have to reboot to get them to show up again, and when I do that, different ones appear, and others disappear :P

I find that Vista pretty much refuses to remember my network access passwords. It's absurd.

Even if you hit "Remember" is still prompts and you STILL have to type it in.

Jasconius on
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Honestly, the first time I opened up the task manager and discovered that you have to click a button, and then wait for the security prompt to come up, and then click Continue, and then wait for the task manager to restart with admin privileges, just to be able to see the full list of processes, I immediately disabled UAC. I don't want to have to put up with that shit every time I want to see my processes.

Azio on
    edited June 2008
    Another thing that is annoying for Vista/MSN.

MSN is absolustely a broken program, and when entering the error code in the search, if you check back on the other window for the rest of the code, it deletes it all. So you have to remember the entire code and type it in one go.

mooshoepork on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Azio wrote: »
    Honestly, the first time I opened up the task manager and discovered that you have to click a button, and then wait for the security prompt to come up, and then click Continue, and then wait for the task manager to restart with admin privileges, just to be able to see the full list of processes, I immediately disabled UAC. I don't want to have to put up with that shit every time I want to see my processes.

Uh

I only have to click one button. Do you have yours turned way up or something?

And why are you checking your processes that much? There's much less need to actually go kill something now as Vista is pretty good at picking up when a program has kicked it.

FyreWulff on
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Rakai wrote: »
    You can create folders and those won't get UAC pop ups either. I get the "might not have installed correctly" warning from time to time and so far have had no issues.

You can also change the ownership and security settings on folders so you don't get the UAC messages. Good examples of where to do this: %systemroot\Fonts and %systemroot%\Resources.

File searching only really tends to work if you know exactly what you're looking for and you're willing to wait a minute or two. Program search is great, though.

I've only ever managed to get wireless networking on Vista to work once (I couldn't get wired to work for some reason). Never again did it work.

The two most annoying things I've come across in Vista are the save dialogues and the fact that "Backup and Restore Center" (and other random apps) keeps popping into my most-used apps list in the Start Menu. I've never used it. Ever. Anyone else get this?

Cyvros on
  • IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Im having a wireless network problem on vista. Every 60 seconds or so im getting a bit lag spike. Apparently this is to do with vista wanting to search for better networks. Anyone know of a way to fix this? Ive tried the vista anti-lag and the netsh approach. But neither worked.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Idoliside wrote: »
    Im having a wireless network problem on vista. Every 60 seconds or so im getting a bit lag spike. Apparently this is to do with vista wanting to search for better networks. Anyone know of a way to fix this? Ive tried the vista anti-lag and the netsh approach. But neither worked.

Install the XP drivers for your wireless card and then try anti-lag.

Rook on
  • IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Rook wrote: »
    Idoliside wrote: »

Install the XP drivers for your wireless card and then try anti-lag.

I read that, unfortunatly the program doesn't let me specify OS. Its all in one program for all versions of windows.
    Its a Edimax RAlink USB wireless card. I don't want to have to trail 20m of network cable through the house.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs