As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Underrated and little known movies

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    gimmick wrote:
    I just watched Primer as per this thread, and oh man was that a good movie.

And by good movie, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's the best time travel movie ever.

A movie I'd suggest for people who liked Battle Royal is Suicide Club.

Suicide Club.

I'm hesitant to mention it because it isn't really all that great of a movie, and is more overrated than underrated among people who have seen it, IMO. However, it's still worth a watch simply because the suicide scenes are so absurd/amusing, and it doesn't get all that incoherent until the very end. It's one of those "bad in a good way" type movies, I guess.
    Definitely. I've seen it at least three times now, and I'm not really sure why. I just end up renting it to watch with someone, and at the end we're like, 'what.' And then I do it all again.
    Frankie seems to put this one on every month or so. It's pretty neat, even if it doesn't make a damn bit of sense. The puppy-stomping Gary Glitter guy still creeps me out.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Spilled Milk, Inc.Spilled Milk, Inc. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Irond Will wrote:
    gimmick wrote:

And by good movie, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's the best time travel movie ever.

Suicide Club.

I'm hesitant to mention it because it isn't really all that great of a movie, and is more overrated than underrated among people who have seen it, IMO. However, it's still worth a watch simply because the suicide scenes are so absurd/amusing, and it doesn't get all that incoherent until the very end. It's one of those "bad in a good way" type movies, I guess.
    Definitely. I've seen it at least three times now, and I'm not really sure why. I just end up renting it to watch with someone, and at the end we're like, 'what.' And then I do it all again.
    Frankie seems to put this one on every month or so. It's pretty neat, even if it doesn't make a damn bit of sense. The puppy-stomping Gary Glitter guy still creeps me out.
    The funniest part about it to me is that the internet is evil. But yeah, Japanese Frankfurter is pretty lame.

Spilled Milk, Inc. on
    Larry's my name, real estate's my game. Rape was another game of mine...
  • JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    werehippy wrote:
    Zoolander wrote:
    Olivaw wrote:
    Zoolander wrote:
    Kingdom of Heaven is a fantastic movie
    The story was simple and cliched and Orlando Bloom sleepwalked through his role and the movie had no direction and kept going everywhere and characters kept dying and the transition between scenes was bad and the message behind the movie was ham fisted and lame and and and.
    oh

Don't sweat it, KoH tends to be one of those really polarizing movies, especially if you've seen the director's cut. It's not bad at all, and the director's cut is downright good.

I really didn't like KoH, partly because of Orlando Bloom, partly because it felt too big and expansive to really cover anything in depth, partly because it felt like it had been poorly edited, but probably mostly because it came after seeing a long string of "epic" movies that were terrible, like King Arthur and Troy.

The idea that the director's cut is actually worthwhile is intriguing though. I may have to go check it out.

Also, I watched The Proposition and Brick based on recommendations in this thread, and they were both awesome.

Jebu on
  • MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven turns it from an average movie to a great movie. Those added scenes were amazing.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Jebu wrote:
    werehippy wrote:
    Zoolander wrote:
    Olivaw wrote:
    Zoolander wrote:
    Kingdom of Heaven is a fantastic movie
    The story was simple and cliched and Orlando Bloom sleepwalked through his role and the movie had no direction and kept going everywhere and characters kept dying and the transition between scenes was bad and the message behind the movie was ham fisted and lame and and and.
    oh

Don't sweat it, KoH tends to be one of those really polarizing movies, especially if you've seen the director's cut. It's not bad at all, and the director's cut is downright good.

I really didn't like KoH, partly because of Orlando Bloom, partly because it felt too big and expansive to really cover anything in depth, partly because it felt like it had been poorly edited, but probably mostly because it came after seeing a long string of "epic" movies that were terrible, like King Arthur and Troy.

The idea that the director's cut is actually worthwhile is intriguing though. I may have to go check it out.

Also, I watched The Proposition and Brick based on recommendations in this thread, and they were both awesome.

Fuck yea! I got someone to watch the movie! High fives. I need to buy this film.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    titmouse wrote:
    Titan A.E. is one movie I liked that I hear almost nothing about.
    New Earth
    (Planet Bob)

ronzo on
  • IAmSoKawaiiIAmSoKawaii Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sami wrote:
    b3dcc1b2.jpg

Phenomenal movie based on the prison experiments done @ Princeton in the 70s

Whoah. I'm glad someone other than me watched it and enjoyed it. That's a great flick, never saw it in any video stores though. Oh and the experiments were done at Stanford.

IAmSoKawaii on
    Shaskster.png

"If I ever woke up with a dead hooker in my hotel room, Matt would be the first person I'd call."

www.PatriceOneal.com
  • 3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Althought it was hit or miss, I loved:

suicide_kings.jpg

Suicide Kings. It cost 5 mil to make, and only grossed 1.5.

Walken spends most of the movie tied up in a chair, and he's still the center of attention. The man's a badass. Also, Dennis Leary did a fine job as the mafia thug, adding some comedy into an otherwise pretty dark movie.

3lwap0 on
  • Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Suicide Kings is one of my favorite movies from that time period. I'd reccomend it, too. Leary's awesome in it.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lucky Number S7evin was a much better movie than I expected it to be. Watched it last night. Josh Hartnett and Lucy Lui (not to mention Morgan Freeman and Bruce Willis) are pretty damn good in it. Go into it blind, any kind of preparation for the plot will only spoil it.
    [spoiler:dc9f47a332]I'm serious, don't even read the back of the movie case[/spoiler:dc9f47a332]

TankHammer on
  • KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Battle Royale is pretty much my favorite book.

Kusuguttai on
    edited January 2007
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Battle Royale is pretty much my favorite book.
    As a reader of the book, manga and viewer of both movies I can tell you that the Tokyopop Manga version is the best English adaptation of the story, if a little over-the-top. Movie is boring as hell compared to the book/manga.

TankHammer on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

Fuck yea! I got someone to watch the movie! High fives. I need to buy this film.[/quote]

I know :)

Every time someone mentions they just watched Brick and it was great, I can't help smiling. It's fantastic when you clue someone else in on a good thing.

werehippy on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    i a huge fan of the French Taxi movies, glorious stupid fun films that they are , the two main characters in the movie have such a good sense of comic timing.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sami wrote:
    b3dcc1b2.jpg

Phenomenal movie based on the prison experiments done @ Princeton in the 70s

Whoah. I'm glad someone other than me watched it and enjoyed it. That's a great flick, never saw it in any video stores though. Oh and the experiments were done at Stanford.
    The whole side story with the chick was stupid though. :x

Virum on
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Two movies off the top of my head that I enjoyed but don't hear much about are Thumbsucker and Mississippi Burning.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Mullitt The WiseMullitt The Wise Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Narian wrote:
    Two movies off the top of my head that I enjoyed but don't hear much about are Thumbsucker and Mississippi Burning.
    I thought Thumbsucker was disappointing. The trailers made it seem interesting, but it was just like all those other indie dramas.
    Great soundtrack, though.

Mullitt The Wise on
    balloonssig.jpg
    edited January 2007
    Narian wrote:
    I thought Thumbsucker was disappointing. The trailers made it seem interesting, but it was just like all those other indie dramas.
    Great soundtrack, though.
    Agreed. Thumbsucker was a complete disappointment for me. In fact, it was so unspectacular that I can't even really remember it. Or I was on drugs. The world will never know.

Spilled Milk, Inc. on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Thumbsucker seemed to be trying too hard to be indie. It seems like a lot of movies are going for that 'art house' feel. People that want to seem smart jump on them, because liking one must mean you have great taste.

Mr Pink on
  • FinalGamerFinalGamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So I Married An Axe Murderer

gbq04308.jpg

I never heard anyone else talk about this film. Mike Myers plays as Charlie Mackenzie, a Scottish-American beat poet living in Los Angeles who is afraid of commitment due to several unsuccessful past dates (one was in the mafia, one stole his cat, one smelled of soup), until he meets the lovely Harriet, but the romance is soon to be slowly buried when Charlie has growing suspicions that Harriet is a serial killer.

A romantic comedy, Myers shows off a great parody of Scottish people by playing as Charlie's father as well as Charlie himself, with a few memorable lines, this Scottish voice and character Myers would later use in Shrek. While not perhaps the best Myers film, it is my favourite film starring him for his acting alone.

FinalGamer on
    "Videogames are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n' roll." - Shigeru Miyamoto
    dancingmagels1.gif
    Attack
    Magic > Breakdance 2
    Item
    Flee
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2007
    The director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven turns it from an average movie to a great movie. Those added scenes were amazing.
    Just to add my two cents.

I went from leaving the theater with a bad taste in my mouth to having the DVD as one of my prized possessions due to the director's cut.

And should these posts convince any of you to try the directors cut of the film, do yourself a huge favor and skip over the intro where Ridley Scott ruins all the surprises and gives a great deal of the plot away. He was an asshole for doing that.

MAJOR SPOILERS FOR KOH Directors Cut

[realspoiler:2ddc63c733]How the fuck did the studio think that leaving the kid on the cutting room floor was a good idea? It gave the princess so much more depth and meaning.[/realspoiler:2ddc63c733]

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • foursquaremanfoursquareman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My wife and I came home one night, and the only thing that was on tv that interested us was Love Letter. It was very beautiful, and pretty cool that we both had no idea what an awesome film we were about to see.

Primer was very strange for me until I wiki'd it. Still not sure I get exactly what happened, but definitely enjoyed watching it.

foursquareman on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh man I forgot about

king-arthur-p.jpg

I really liked this. I mean the whole religion thing again was ham fisted but if you watch it as a popcorn movie it's very entertaining. I still pop it in every once in a while.

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    FinalGamer wrote:
    So I Married An Axe Murderer

gbq04308.jpg

I never heard anyone else talk about this film. Mike Myers plays as Charlie Mackenzie, a Scottish-American beat poet living in Los Angeles who is afraid of commitment due to several unsuccessful past dates (one was in the mafia, one stole his cat, one smelled of soup), until he meets the lovely Harriet, but the romance is soon to be slowly buried when Charlie has growing suspicions that Harriet is a serial killer.

A romantic comedy, Myers shows off a great parody of Scottish people by playing as Charlie's father as well as Charlie himself, with a few memorable lines, this Scottish voice and character Myers would later use in Shrek. While not perhaps the best Myers film, it is my favourite film starring him for his acting alone.

Oh man, I loved this movie.

"Head! Pants! Now!"

The Stephen Wright parts were hilariously awesome too.

Jebu on
  • The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    FinalGamer wrote:

Man, are you kidding? I don't trust people who don't like that movie. Who doesn't make the "HEED. PAPER. NOW." jokes? Cuz I know I make those with my friends all the time. Or "you know what this apartment needs?" or "Ummm ... excuse me, I believe I ordered a large."

I love that movie.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    celery77 wrote:
    Man, are you kidding? I don't trust people who don't like that movie. Who doesn't make the "HEED. PAPER. NOW." jokes? Cuz I know I make those with my friends all the time. Or "you know what this apartment needs?" or "Ummm ... excuse me, I believe I ordered a large."

Yeah, a well-timed reference to this movie never fails to get a laugh. In my experience, anyway. It wound up being the least dated Mike Myers flick, the one with the most staying power.

Tiemler on
  • aquabataquabat Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    celery77 wrote:
    FinalGamer wrote:

I love that movie.

My ex got me into this movie. Why did we break up? Oh whhhhhy did we break uppppppppp?

aquabat on
  • TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    aquabat wrote:
    My ex got me into this movie. Why did we break up? Oh whhhhhy did we break uppppppppp?

Cuz she was in the mafia?

Tiemler on
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Irond Will wrote:
    gimmick wrote:

Suicide Club.

The funniest part about it to me is that the internet is evil. But yeah, Japanese Frankfurter is pretty lame.
    It is kinda intresting to watch with a largish group of people many of whom have altered states of consciousness.

I've twice watched it at a local anime con, ripped to the tits on liquor, red bull and sinsemilla after, being awake for a couple days.

it is kinda funny at points. Not great or anything but wierd as all get out.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Haven't revisited this thread in awhile, but I am watching this movie again and though I loved it every time I've seen it, it's been awhile and I'd forgotten how absolutely fantastic it was. The script was perfect, the line delivery was consistently excellent. It was like mainstream allusory geek hyper love story.

I really think it's one of the best films ever made:

6137f.jpg

Too bad the damn sequel looks like it's MIA forever.

ALSO, I should mention that I'd never heard of Primer before this thread. I have since got it, watched it once, and loved it.

I plan on watching it many more times.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    I really think it's one of the best films ever made:

Free Enterprise?
    This looks awful, but I have a strange compulsion to watch it.

227553.jpg
    After Hours is an awesome movie from like 1985 that I never really hear about it. It's basically just about one awful night this guy has, and it's pretty hilarious.

Spilled Milk, Inc. on
  • The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    227553.jpg
    After Hours is an awesome movie from like 1985 that I never really hear about it. It's basically just about one awful night this guy has, and it's pretty hilarious.
    It's actually a Martin Scorsese picture, but yeah, a pretty forgotten Scorsese flick. I keep meaning to watch it for that reason, but don't, cuz ... well ... I'm getting really bad about watching movies.

edited January 2007
    celery77 wrote:
    227553.jpg
    It's actually a Martin Scorsese picture, but yeah, a pretty forgotten Scorsese flick. I keep meaning to watch it for that reason, but don't, cuz ... well ... I'm getting really bad about watching movies.
    Me too. I've had one of my netflix movies since the end of August.

Spilled Milk, Inc. on
    edited January 2007
    Haha -- man, that shit better be good.

I think I'm going to get Netflix like ... next week ... so hopefully I can watch some more of these being discussed in here.

edited January 2007
    celery77 wrote:

I think I'm going to get Netflix like ... next week ... so hopefully I can watch some more of these being discussed in here.
    Netflix works best when you split it between a few people so it's always being utilized.

TankHammer on
    edited January 2007
    celery77 wrote:

Not at all. I finally watched it the other day. Crash. I watched a little over an hour of it, and this is what I learned: Black people are black and do things that black people do. Rich white people don't like black people, and they do things that rich white people do. Some people are racist.

I need to send that shit back.

Spilled Milk, Inc. on
    edited January 2007
    celery77 wrote:

Not at all. I finally watched it the other day. Crash. I watched a little over an hour of it, and this is what I learned: Black people are black and do things that black people do. Rich white people don't like black people, and they do things that rich white people do. Some people are racist.

Wait -- hold on, I thought that was the BEST PICTURE of the WHOLE YEAR it came out??!?!

Hahaha -- that's hella funny. Yeah, that movie hella sucks. Send it with a quickness.

I got Oldboy sitting on top of my TV now (which came recommended by these boards), which I actually watched, but I can't be bothered to return it, because it sucked so bad, and just like picking it up and transporting it back will remind me of its suckiness, and I don't want to go through with it.

Plus I'm getting Netflix so fuck a late fee.

edited January 2007
    celery77 wrote:
    celery77 wrote:

Wait -- hold on, I thought that was the BEST PICTURE of the WHOLE YEAR it came out??!?!Hahaha -- that's hella funny. Yeah, that movie hella sucks. Send it with a quickness.

I got Oldboy sitting on top of my TV now (which came recommended by these boards), which I actually watched, but I can't be bothered to return it, because it sucked so bad, and just like picking it up and transporting it back will remind me of its suckiness, and I don't want to go through with it.

Plus I'm getting Netflix so fuck a late fee.
    So Oldboy hella sucked? I thought it was supposed to be hella good! Perhaps I will take it off my netflix queue. I am a very important person, I have no time to waste on shitty movies. Which I guess is why I rented The Butterfly Effect 2 a couple of months ago.

I almost forgot about this! The best Stephen Chow movie ever made:

god_of_cookery_affiche.jpg

Stephen Chow likes to do things like use kung fu to play soccer, use kung fu to do some kung fu, and now he uses kung fu to cook. It is amazing.

Spilled Milk, Inc. on
  • AsumaAsuma Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Free Enterprise

Good movie for sci-fi nerds. Would have been great except for the way they fucked up the love story at the end.

Asuma on
    "Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right, you meet the same idiots coming around from the left." -- Clint Eastwood ***
  • Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Too much "hella".

I loved Oldboy, for what it's worth, though I'd hardly discuss it as underrated.

Whiniest Man On Earth on