As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Death Knights Hoo!: Druids don't need shields to tank, and neither do we!

• -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'd love for them to add some DK specific skin colours and textures. Scholo faces for humans and elves and mummy wrappings for trolls. A Mummified troll DK would be so awesome.

-SPI- on
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    TehChowd wrote: »
    Uh, nobody else is going to roll a Tauren DK so they can rock a faux-zombie cow? Suddenly I feel very alone. . .

Of all the Horde races, the only ones I really like are the cows. I will TOTALLY have a zombiecow.

Awesome (horrible) joke for you along those lines:

What do zombiecows eat?

Graaaaaains...

Imperfect on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ahh. That's horrible.
    But I agree, the scholo skins for humans would be awesome.

Rizzi on
  • TehChowdTehChowd Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    What do zombiecows eat?

Graaaaaains...

A+ for you. The best I could come up with is naming my cow "anti-burger" or something. Also, mummy trolls would pretty much be the best thing ever.

Also, I heard in trade chat (groan) today that warriors in the WOLK will be able to duel wield two-handers. Does anyone know if that's actually something that's in alpha? Wouldn't the stat bonuses be insane for that?

TehChowd on
    edited May 2008
    Hm. I should go reserver Graains as my Tauren DK name right now...

Imperfect on
  • TheEmergedTheEmerged Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Imperfect wrote: »
    Uh, nobody else is going to roll a Tauren DK so they can rock a faux-zombie cow? Suddenly I feel very alone. . .

Of all the Horde races, the only ones I really like are the cows. I will TOTALLY have a zombiecow.

Awesome (horrible) joke for you along those lines:

What do zombiecows eat?

Graaaaaains...

/* rushes off to see if that name is available on his server

TheEmerged on
    Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    edited May 2008
    I got it - but I had to go with Graaiins - you can't repeat a letter more than twice.

I'm not unsatisfied.

Imperfect on
  • SlabcakesSlabcakes Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    I'll probably be one of the fifty-thousand who make one, but undead as a Death Knight race appeals to me. I think it's the first time I've ever seen an undead look good in plate.

Granted, I hardly ever see undead warriors in the first place.
    Don't fall for it, man. Undead plate wearers only look good with those bulky boots, any others and they look crap. It's a shame, too, what with WotF and all. Look at the T5/S2 armour set for an UD war on the WoW site - it's as though the guy forgot to put his trousers on.

I'll probably end up going tauren female. Good racials, probably not many around, and the fact that they look like muppets amuses me.

Slabcakes on
  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm totally making a Tauren Female Death Knight :D

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Judging by your avatar and sig, I really would not expect any less.

TheGerbil on
  • XhaztolXhaztol Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I don't even want to BE a deathknight. I want to hang out with one and die so often that I spend more time playing as a ghoul than I do as my class.

Xhaztol on
    kalamari.jpg
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    aren't DK's sposta be a tank class? I look over the leaked talents and I definitely don't see a "prot" type tree, nor do I see any talents that scream "OMG tank talent".

DiscoZombie on
  • MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Frost is the tank tree. Hungering Cold, Acclimation, Frozen Dread Plate, Deathchill, Frost Aura and Toughness are all straight up what I'd call ''tank talents'' and there's plenty of other talents in the tree that would seem to be fairly large threat increasers. The other trees have "tank talents" too, but not in the same amount and they seem to be focused more towards temporary tanking while Blood is obviously focused for PvE dps and Unholy for PvP. Their trees on the whole, though, look a bit hybrid-ish in and of themselves as opposed to 3 different trees with one individual use like Druids, Shaman and Paladins have.

Mgcw on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    aren't DK's sposta be a tank class? I look over the leaked talents and I definitely don't see a "prot" type tree, nor do I see any talents that scream "OMG tank talent".

Their Frost Presence gives them a 45% increase in Armor and make sthem generate like 25% more threat.

Undead Scottsman on
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Their Frost Presence gives them a 45% increase in Armor and make sthem generate like 25% more threat.

maybe it's just my perception, but it feels like almost every point a warrior or pally puts into prot, or a druid puts into feral, improves tanking a lot, to the extent that a warrior, pally, or druid tank who isn't maxed in their respective tank tree will simply not be tanking raid content. For a death knight, it looks like the 21 point frost talent Deathchill looks like the last 'vital' tanking talent in the frost tree. this says to me that either death knights are meant to be a tanking class that has more options than 1 tree, or that they're not meant to be hardcore tanks. I guess no one will know for sure until WotLK comes out.

DiscoZombie on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Really, without seeing their class skills I don't think we can make any kind of assumption on how they're going to tank or how their talents work, because we have no context.

Salvation122 on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    We can't really make to many guesses anyway, chances are, the talents we know of now will be quite dissimilar to what actually shows up in the X-Pack.

Nerdgasmic on
  • MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Really, without seeing their class skills I don't think we can make any kind of assumption on how they're going to tank or how their talents work, because we have no context.

Ummm, their class spells have been leaked as well.

Blood:
    Blood Presence: Strengthens the Death Knight with the presence of blood, increasing damage by 15% and healing the Death Knight by 4% of damage dealt. Only one Presence may be active at a time.

Blood Boil (Rank 1) - Causes all disease effects on targets within 30 yards to painfully erupt, consuming the diseases, dealing 90 damage, and forcing the target to attack the Death Knight for 3 sec.

Death Strike - Causes weapon damage, if target dies within the next 3 seconds yields exp/honor, Death Strike heals the DK for 406(Rank 1)

Blood Strike - 60% weapon dmg + 66(Rank 2)per each disease effect on target.

Strangulate - Strangulate an enemy, consuming all available runic power to silence the target for a maximum of 5 sec and dealing up to 249(Rank 1) shadow dmg at the end of the effect.

Blood Tap - Immediately activates a Blood Rune and temp. converts it into a Chromatic Rune. This rune counts as a blood/unholy/frost rune, lasts 10 sec.

Death Pact: Sac an undead minion, healing the DK for 1200 health (Rank 1)

Frost:

Chains of Ice: Freezes the target in place for 4 sec. The target regains 10% of their move speed each second after breaking free of chains.

Frost Presence: +45% armor +25% threat self buff.

Mind Freeze: Strike the targets mind with cold, dealing 137 frost dmg (rank 1) and interrupting spellcasting while also preventing any spell in that school from being cast for 3 sec.

Icy Touch: Deals 329 Frost dmg (rank 2) and reduces the target's ranged/melee/casting speed by 15% for 22 sec.

Empower Runeblade: Empower your rune weapon, immediately activating one rune of each type.

Icebound Fortitude: Consumes all avail runic power, causing the DK to become immune to Stun effects and increasing armor by 50% for up to 12 sec, does not remove existing stun effects.

Unholy:

Raise Dead: Raises a Ghoul from a corpse to fight by your side. If target corpse is not humanoid Corpse Dust must be supplied to complete the spell.

Death and Decay: 102 shadow dmg (rank 1) inflicted every 2 sec to all targets in the affected area for 8 sec. Has a chance to cause affected targets to cower in fear.

Plague Strike: Weapon dmg + 39(Rank 1)and plagues the target causing 380 shadow dmg(Rank 1)over 12 sec.

Death Coil: Unleashes all available Runic Power, causing up to 622(Rank 2)shadow dmg to a non-undead enemy target or healing up to 933(Rank 2)dmg from a friendly Undead target.

Degeneration: Instantly attack the target dealing 60% weapon dmg and inflicting a disease dealing 91 over 21 sec. This disease will corrupt an existing HoT removing it and dramatically increasing the dmg dealt. While affected by this disease, other HoTs on the target will have no effect.

Unholy Presence: Infuses the DK with unholy fury, increasing attack speed by 15% and reducing the global cooldown on all DK abilities by 0.5 sec.

Army of the Dead: Summons an entire legion of your best Ghouls to fight by your side.

Anti-Magic Shell: Surrounds the DK in an anti-magic shell, absorbing 75% of the dmg dealt by the next harmful spell. Dmg absorbed by AMS energizes the DK with additional runic power. Lasts 5 sec.

Death Grip - Draws your target before you with a beam of unholy power. This will also taunt the target, forcing it to attack you for ? seconds.

Butchered the lingo a bit typing it up from screenshots that I didn't feel like re-rarring because the images are hueg file size.

The cooldowns for spells aren't apparent in the screen shots but I believe most of the strikes have a short cooldown while stuff like Icebound Fortitude, Army of the Dead, Anti-Magic shell have longer cooldowns.

Mgcw on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    What do zombiecows eat?

Graaaaaains...

A+ for you. The best I could come up with is naming my cow "anti-burger" or something. Also, mummy trolls would pretty much be the best thing ever.

Also, I heard in trade chat (groan) today that warriors in the WOLK will be able to duel wield two-handers. Does anyone know if that's actually something that's in alpha? Wouldn't the stat bonuses be insane for that?

There is supposedly a new talent in the fury tree in the WOLK alpha called "Titan's Grasp" which will allow warriors to equip 2h weapons like a 1hander at the cost of something like 20 or 30% swing speed

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    What do zombiecows eat?

Graaaaaains...

There is supposedly a new talent in the fury tree in the WOLK alpha called "Titan's Grasp" which will allow warriors to equip 2h weapons like a 1hander at the cost of something like 20 or 30% swing speed

5 points brings the swing time penalty down to 20%. It's still alpha, so that could change drastically or be completely removed by the time WotLK comes around. /sigh

Wavechaser on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I want to equip my gnome warrior with 2 giant hammers

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LaurlunaLaurluna Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Couple of really cool YouTube videos floating around showing off some of the DK graphics/starting out zone. Pretty interesting, if not for the poor sap that posted them breaking NDAs and such.

I really do laugh a little at Blizzard though. It's like they honestly expect people to NOT try to filter out whatever information they can to the masses.

Laurluna on
    Being casually elitist in WoW since 2005.
    First Blood 85 Priest 80 Mage 85 Paladin 83 Druid 80 DK 85 Huntard 85 Shaman
    "Tardo Wan" sounds like a Jedi that required 436 years to train and then killed himself by looking into his lightsaber while turning it on."
    edited May 2008
    Laurluna wrote: »
    I really do laugh a little at Blizzard though. It's like they honestly expect people to NOT try to filter out whatever information they can to the masses.

You do realize that the "friends" in the Friends & Family Alpha are the marketting department, right :winky:

TheEmerged on
  • MittenMitten Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I saw a picture of that mount a few days ago. It's absolutely gorgeous, and apparently 100% speed.

reVerse on
    edited June 2008
    Yeah.

And now all the people with Baron Deathchargers won't create a storm of complaint tears.

Nerdgasmic on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    From the Alpha build:

Spell 51120
    Name: Tinnitus
    Description:
    Description2: Cannot receive beneficial effects from drums.

Lesson learned maybe?

Thomamelas on
    edited June 2008
    What now?

Nerdgasmic on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Looks like maybe a debuff from using drums so you can't chain cast them or something?

reVerse on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    What now?

It looks like a forbearance effect for the leather working drums.

Thomamelas on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So I guess we'll keep seeing powerful drums for Leatherworkers in the expansion, but raid groups won't be able to chain them back to back.

I'm strangely comfortable with this, despite liking the fact that leatherworking is actually a desirable proff... oh who am I kidding, it has 3 desirable items, and 2 of them are legpatches. :|

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    LW has always been a shit profession. They really need to revamp it.

Wavechaser on
    edited June 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    So I guess we'll keep seeing powerful drums for Leatherworkers in the expansion, but raid groups won't be able to chain them back to back.

I'm strangely comfortable with this, despite liking the fact that leatherworking is actually a desirable proff... oh who am I kidding, it has 3 desirable items, and 2 of them are legpatches. :|

It looks like there will be some more of them with more useful effects but the +anythings aren't getting buffed much higher for now. Of course that is subject to change.

Thomamelas on
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    TheEmerged wrote: »

You do realize that the "friends" in the Friends & Family Alpha are the marketting department, right :winky:

No they're not. Well maybe some are, but it literally means friends and family of Blizzard employees.

riz on
    edited June 2008
    riz wrote: »
    TheEmerged wrote: »

No they're not. Well maybe some are, but it literally means friends and family of Blizzard employees.

Noticing winking smilies for the win? I guess I should have used the /sarcasm tag to make it completely clear that I was making a joke...

TheEmerged on
  • Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Bitch wrote: »
    Video would have been better if he wasn't making it glitch out. I could barely get a good look at the thing.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Bitch wrote: »
    Video would have been better if he wasn't making it glitch out. I could barely get a good look at the thing.

hence if you click on the link of the text "new death knight mount" it shows a crystal clear picture of it

Dhalphir on
    edited June 2008
    WoW Insider is reporting an interesting change on the official DK page.
    WoWInsider wrote:
    The descriptions of each of the talent trees has been changed. Here are the old descriptions:

Blood: Talents in this tree focus on damage dealing abilities. Blood Presence increases damage output by a percentage.
    Frost: Talents in this tree focus on tanking abilities. Frost Presence increases threat and lowers damage taken by a percentage.
    Unholy: Talents in this tree have a variety of functions including summons, diseases, and PvP-focused abilities. Unholy Presence increases attack speed and reduces the global cooldown on death knight abilities.

And now, the new descriptions:

Blood: Talents in this tree focus on weapons, armor, and strikes.
    Frost: Talents in this tree focus on control, counters, and combos.
    Unholy: Talents in this tree focus on spells, summons, and diseases.

TheEmerged on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    One will still be best for PVE DPS, one will still be best for PVE tanking, one will still be best for PVP.

It's just semantics really.

815165 on
    edited June 2008
    What about hybriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiids?

12/35/13, accidental healing spec

Nerdgasmic on