As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kobold Quarterly Cover

DMACDMAC Come at me, bro!Moderator mod
edited June 2008 in Artist's Corner
So, I've been a bit lazy with personal/freelance artwork lately. When you live in a place where winter lasts 6 months out of the year, you tend to enjoy warm weather while it lasts.

Before the weather got too nice, I did the cover for issue #5 of Kobold Quarterly:

kq5cover.jpg

Here's the artwork without any of the text (pencil drawing with digital color):

kq5final.jpg

DMAC on

• ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Very, very cool DMAC... is that... deekin?! If so mad props, if not, still really cool man.

Prospicience on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited June 2008
    Had to Google that one. No, their kobold mascot's name is Jiro. I think he was a character in a game run by the creator of the magazine.

DMAC on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    DMAC, when I grow up, I want to draw like you. Tan lines and all! Your drawings are crazy skilled, like usual. My only greif is that the white text gets a bit lost over the yellow.

MagicToaster on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    DMAC, when I grow up, I want to draw like you. Tan lines and all! Your drawings are crazy skilled, like usual. My only greif is that the white text gets a bit lost over the yellow.

Yeah, I wish they had changed the text color. Looks like you snuck a fertility idol in there. Very cool piece! The whole thing!

NibCrom on
  • Castle_BuilderCastle_Builder regular
    edited June 2008
    all they needed to do was toss a black outline on the text and poof itd be fixed ... ah well ... just another case of the business world and the art world coming together and the artist getting screwed ...

great cover man ... i showed some co workers your stuff and everyone was slack jawed ...

like so many artists out there i wish to hell youd draw like a 350 page graphic novel ... i know itll never happen but your artwork is so clean it makes some of the comic books out there look like chicken scratches ... sadly i think there are far too many untalented comic book artists ...

Castle_Builder on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2008
    did they erase your signature?

that's cold blooded, dmac

your art, as always, is absolutely stunning.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited June 2008
    all they needed to do was toss a black outline on the text and poof itd be fixed

If you look closely, there is a shadow effect behind the text. I would never have resorted to a black outline, as it is my personal opinion that it is the tackiest way to create contrast between text and background. I would have just made the shadow a bit stronger.

MagicToaster on
  • CyberMonkeytron3000CyberMonkeytron3000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Is that the golden idol from Indiana Jones?

Awesome pencils and amazing colours :) Not so good type setting...

The only thing that I would say is that I don't know quite how the dragons body is working.

Are the 2 lumps on either side of its neck, arms? Is that thing going off to the right it's tail? And I'm not sure how the wings are connected to it all. I'm maybe not looking at it right- but with everything looking so cool and the rendering so tight- it stands out to me.

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
    edited June 2008
    Is that the golden idol from Indiana Jones?

Awesome pencils and amazing colours :) Not so good type setting...

The only thing that I would say is that I don't know quite how the dragons body is working.

Are the 2 lumps on either side of its neck, arms? Is that thing going off to the right it's tail? And I'm not sure how the wings are connected to it all. I'm maybe not looking at it right- but with everything looking so cool and the rendering so tight- it stands out to me.

He's sort of rolled partly on his left side. What you're seeing are his shoulders on either side of his neck with his front legs extending off the right side of the page. The kobold is kind of in the way but I drew sort of a combo wing joint/shoulder.

Thanks for the props. I'm a little surprised by the text being so light too. I had a discussion about it with the client when I was coloring the piece but I guess the graphic designer figured it was legible enough.

DMAC on
  • supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    did they erase your signature?

that's cold blooded, dmac

I hope the contract included a clause that jacks up the price for that sort of thing.

Awesome art!

supabeast on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The kobold's feet don't seem to to sink into the gold quite enough, but the art is stunning.

The Black Hunter on
    edited June 2008
    Well, kobolds are pretty light and I don't know how much you would "sink" into a densely packed pile of gold coins. You don't really sink into a gravel pile if you stand on top of it.

DMAC on
    edited June 2008
    Someone bring me a pile of gold coins so that I can test this theory.

DMAC on
  • DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Look at the size of his feet. He could probably walk across snow and not sink into it.

DeeLock on
  • MEADONEMEADONE Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Reminds me of Barks
    More specifically his oil paintings based off this cover.

fourcolor386.jpg

MEADONE on
  • Deep FriedDeep Fried Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Me like!

Deep Fried on
    DF-BANNER_WEAPON-BROWN.gif
  • BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    amazing, i am seriously in awe of this piece, it is so clean and tight.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited June 2008
    Thanks, guys.

Here's my original color rough for the cover. The kobold was going to be sitting on the pile of gold, trying on some of the treasure:

colormock.jpg

kqpencils1.jpg

DMAC on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2008
    you really are ridiculously, foolishly talented

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Creambun 007Creambun 007 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    bonerific as always DMAC.

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
    edited June 2008
    Those are roughs?!

MagicToaster on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So this is where the fertility idol from Raiders of the Lost Ark ended up. ;)

Do I get a prize for the spot?
    Awesome work DMAC.

EDI: Awe shit, Monkey already spotted it.

Mustang on
    edited June 2008
    There's also a tribute to one of my favorite books hidden in the pile of gold but I'll be surprised if anyone figures out where it's from.

DMAC on
  • supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    DMAC wrote: »
    There's also a tribute to one of my favorite books hidden in the pile of gold but I'll be surprised if anyone figures out where it's from.

The Arabian Nights Entertainments?

supabeast on
    edited June 2008
    supabeast wrote: »
    DMAC wrote: »

The Arabian Nights Entertainments?

No, I removed Aladdin's lamp from the final piece because I knew the barcode would get in the way.

DMAC on
  • The Lord of HatsThe Lord of Hats Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    No, I'm pretty sure it's "The Dark Is Coming". Good book, bad movie.

The Lord of Hats on
    edited June 2008
    Very close. "The Dark is Rising" by Susan Cooper. I haven't been able to bring myself to watch the movie in spite of the fact that I like both the book and Ian McShane. From what I've seen it looks like they butchered it. :P

DMAC on
  • The Lord of HatsThe Lord of Hats Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dammit, I knew the name, but butchered it.

And the moment I heard that they removed the Arthurian myth related stuff from it, I knew I was not going to be seeing the movie. Really, it couldn't have lived up to the book for me no matter what.

The Lord of Hats on