As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My duties are calling.

ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up.MichiganRegistered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
So i'm itching for some WWII action on the xbox 360, and what i'm curious about here is the actual story content of the call of duty's on the 360.

I'd like to know the theaters of operation and units you are playing as specifically in refrence to the american campaign if anyone would be able to tell me.

i figure the gameplay between the 2 is identical for all intents and purposes, so can anyone help me out?

Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
Zephos on

• Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Actually, for now I recommend that you hold out until Medal of Honor: Airborne comes out some time before March. If it delivers on it's promises it should be one heck of a game.

If you really need a fix now though, I believe CoD3 was supposed to have really good multiplayer...could be wrong. Personally, I guess I would get CoD3 out of a choice of the two.

Also, for the record, the CoD box arts since the first one have been pretty goddamn terrible, and they've managed to get worse with each release.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You're mainly concerned with the American campaigns?

Well, CoD2 has you playing as a member of the 2nd Rangers starting at Pointe u Hoc, then onto Bergstein and Hill 400, and finally to crossing the Rhine into Germany.

I've not played CoD3, but I know you play as a member of the 90th Infantry Division.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    but no beach landing in COD2 right?

Zephos on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Very sure it does not have anything of the sort, yeah.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Zephos wrote:
    but no beach landing in COD2 right?
    It's kind of a beach landing, but not really. There's a few feet of sand, but it's at least a great aesthetic departure from an Omaha Beach landing.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2007
    Umm, you do hit the ceaches in COD2... just at a different location, a few miles north. There are cliffes att his beach you have to scale, and the goal is to take the german guns out.

It's a different location on the beach, but its the same battle.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    yeah, the 2nd ranger batallion landed at point Du Hoc, which i think is like right between utah and omaha, but i couldnt find a decent map. at anyrate, omaha was devesatingly defended, while utah was pretty lite, and Point Du Hoc was one of the more lightly defended areas. but the cliffs made it a bastard.

bah, now MOH:AA, there was a beach landing.

what is the new Brother in Arms covering?

Zephos on
  • Options
    MattieMattie Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Does CoD3 have you playing as Polish and Canadian troops? I Think I remember reading that somewhere.

Mattie on
    3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    heh, the canadians landed at sword beach i think it was, there is pictures of them literally riding up the beach on bicycles.

Edit: actually it was juno beach, with canadians and polish.

Zephos on
  • Options
    sabyulsabyul Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Man, COD3's multi on XBL reminds me so much of Castle Wolfenstein, and this is a very great thing. Pretty sure there are plenty of shooters available that have much better single player experiences though (especially in terms of AI).

sabyul on
    http://www.frame-advantage.com - Specializing in high quality fighting game video content
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Zephos wrote:
    heh, the canadians landed at sword beach i think it was, there is pictures of them literally riding up the beach on bicycles.

Didn't they get Juno?

edit: Yep

Mattie on
    3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Mattie wrote:
    Zephos wrote:

Didn't they get Juno?
    yeah i just double checked it.

Zephos on
  • Options
    BacklashBacklash Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Defending Hill 400 on the highest difficulty in CoD2 was one of the most intense WW2 moments I've played. Right up there with Allied Assault's Omaha section.

Backlash on
    Absoludacrous.jpg
    SSBB: 2921-8745-1438
    Diamond: 2320-2615-4086
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    The single-player in 2 is awesome. I can't wait to play #3.

Mattie on
    3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
  • Options
    shroudedshrouded Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Backlash wrote:
    Defending Hill 400 on the highest difficulty in CoD2 was one of the most intense WW2 moments I've played. Right up there with Allied Assault's Omaha section.

This is the truth. I'm not sure about CoD3, but I've read more than once around here that it beats CoD2 hands-down for multiplay. The opposite is true for the single-player campaign. Surviving Hill 400 on veteran difficulty in CoD2 truly felt like an achievement. It was painfully difficult, but never felt like it cheated or got cheap. I reviewed it for eToychest, and although I don't think I can link the review (it hasn't been reposted after one of the many database reorganizations), I can say that I thought I gave it a fair review, and scored as high as I have anything. I still recommend CoD2 for the solo campaign if WWII shooters are your thing.

Note that all of this refers only to 360 versions. I haven't played it enough on other platforms to give advice.

shrouded on
    Now Playing: Wii: Nothing. PS3: Netflix. 360: Nothing. PC: Skyrim. OSX: Nothing. iOS: Elder Sign. Vita: Wipeout 2048, Persona 3, Lumines.
  • Options
    LightReaperLightReaper Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I can't give advice on the multiplayer or on the 360 version but playing it on the Wii would be mad fun without the control scheme.

On the Wii version at least though, there are alot of bugs like NPC's seeing/shooting through walls.

LightReaper on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I can't give advice on the multiplayer or on the 360 version but playing it on the Wii would be mad fun without the control scheme.

On the Wii version at least though, there are alot of bugs like NPC's seeing/shooting through walls.

I believe reviews have indicated they're in all versions.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    Resident0Resident0 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The Wii version is crazy good, my fiancee got it for xmas for me, it's really intense actually moving around to chuck grenades and stuff, and actually "looking out" around a corner (Yea i know you can just twist the Wii-mote but that doesn't feel very real).

There are a few bugs though, mostly tiny graphics glitches and a bit of clipping through stuff, but nothing that is game-breaking, obviously not the standard of the 360, but the smoke in the game looks REALLY good.

:shock:

call-of-duty-3-wii-2g.jpg

Resident0 on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Actually, while I enjoyed COD3 on the wii, I keep getting a problem, once in most levels, for a few seconds when everything is hapening at once the input gets screwy.

that is too say, every now and then things go to hell and explosions and soldiers and shit, and the wiimote seems to freeze up, it will sort of lock in your last movement and freeze up for a few seconds. its not necesarily game-breaking, but it is annoying, but i havent heard about it elsewhere so im not sure if its the pal game or the wii game specifically, or maybe even the wiimote (i ran out of the first set of wiimote batteries just after getting this game and put in a new, different, slightly cheaper pair.)

but yeah, you do play as polish and other troops over the course of the game.

Hybrid on