As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EverQuest 2] Now Fully F2P, no more silly splitting of the population!

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Took forever to friggin' patch the damn thing... eight hours I think. From what I played of the original EQ so far... it seems kind of weird really. I was able to get used to the interface but its the skill/spell thing thats confusing me... though it might be because I made a Beastlord. Will have to give another class a try and possibly start out in the proper newbie area.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    dnilbdnilb Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    well I'm done patching an will probably play in a few if I'm not on TF2

Phyxe (52 zerker) on Nagafen (freeport)

dnilb on
    dnilb.png
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The download didn't ever behave for me. I think I still have my old EQ and Ruins of Kunark discs at the apartment. If the patch time is already hilarious for the new download, what kind of nightmare can I expect?D:

Bama on
  • Options
    KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    KingMole wrote: »
    Welp, I'm done patching EQ2, prolly going to roll a Sarnak something or other.

I should've said "in 4-5 hours and on Antonia Bayle."

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    i have a 55 fury on AB, i may come back and play for a little while...

i also may jump back into EQ1, I'd be on Karana (or whatever the stuff on Karana has been moved to) if i played that

hmmm...interesting turn of events

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Alright, made a sarnak warden called Kalissk on AB, I'll be on the GnT vent server while I play.

EDIT: Or I would be, if Vent didn't like to kick me for duplicate IP some such all the time.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Does anyone have a better place to download the EQ1 installer from besides Sony? It's going to take 15 hours at this rate.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Damn it, my internet crapped out at some point so my download stopped.
    I was really looking forward to trying out EQ2 after work. Wonder how much it has left. It said 2 minutes but once that file was done it decided 1 hour and 45 minutes. :|

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    Damn it, my internet crapped out at some point so my download stopped.
    I was really looking forward to trying out EQ2 after work. Wonder how much it has left. It said 2 minutes but once that file was done it decided 1 hour and 45 minutes. :|

It bounces around a bit.

Shouldn't really take that long, depending on where you were in your download.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    A bit?

It just went from 18 minutes to 48 hours after completing that last batch.
    I may never play.

So did we decide on a server or figure out what the old PA server was? I can add it to the OP and title. I don't want to wonder around Norrath alone, that is just dull.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Is this thing still working?
    Arthil wrote: »
    We've got a channel now!
    If you are on the Lucan D'Lere server you only have to type /join PennyArcade:coksdikslol but if you are not you will need to type /join Lucan_delere.pennyarcade:coksdikslol . Hopefully we can get a few people in this channel.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    A bit?

It just went from 18 minutes to 48 hours after completing that last batch.
    I may never play.

So did we decide on a server or figure out what the old PA server was? I can add it to the OP and title. I don't want to wonder around Norrath alone, that is just dull.
    i'm currently playing, i'm on AB...i think a lot of people are on here (although I haven't heard from any of them =( )

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Well, I guess only a bit for me. At one point it said it would take 44 hours, the next time I looked it was at around 2 hours.

I guess it also depends on how many people are hammering the patcher.

Arthil doesn't play anymore, so I have no idea if that channel is still around, besides the fact that most active people seem to be on AB.

BEAST, I don't even know your character(s) name(s).

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Is this thing still working?
    Arthil wrote: »
    We've got a channel now!
    If you are on the Lucan D'Lere server you only have to type /join PennyArcade:coksdikslol but if you are not you will need to type /join Lucan_delere.pennyarcade:coksdikslol . Hopefully we can get a few people in this channel.
    i just tried that from AB and it said i was "unable to enter"...not sure why

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So are we going to be playing on AB then? I just made an Erudite Necromancer there, sitting at level 2 in Timorous Deep, named Gheraxus.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    eelektrik wrote: »
    So are we going to be playing on AB then? I just made an Erudite Necromancer there, sitting at level 2 in Timorous Deep, named Gheraxus.
    i think so, i created a pennyarcade channel on there...if you right click the chat window, go to chat options..you can add my channel..it's:

name: pennyarcade
    pass: wang

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    EDIT: Nevermind

Also get on Vent

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    i better respond since i created it

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Hey Acc, you done patching yet?

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ah, I recall we couldn't seem to get that damn thing to work for cross server. Well since my account with my other characters is inactive I'll be using this fresh one, so I'll join you guys on Antonia Bayle. Once everyone has listed what characters they are playing I'll add it to the OP, or Accault can do it >.>, either one.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yes, finished patching and I started dicking around.

I must say I'm impressed. The UI is good, it has some great features, and the talking NPCs is a nice touch. Clearly the graphics engine is great though some of the stuff I've seen is ugly and some of it is top notch art. I'm enjoying myself, quick leveling and I love that I auto get new skills.

I made a Gnome Conjureror named Asgro, since that sounded like the EQ1 Magician. I was sad to see my first pet is a giant bug but I saw in the Achievement tree three different elementals so I'll live. I was blown away by the amount of talents and abilities shown in the personal information tree, btw. Over all he plays just like my EQ1 Mag so I look forward to putting more time into him.

I also made a Ratwhatever Shadowknight named Accurat. >.> No skeleton pet yet but he's pretty cool. The attack animations are great. Being able to use a bow threw me off guard but it has been helpful for pulling so far. He hit level five and then I logged. Not sure how much I'm going to like battle stances on my Shadowknight. I forgot to see if they still get a weak pet like EQ1 SKs did.

I fear I could get hooked on this. There is such a huge amount of skills and, so I assume, customization because of that. I'll have to look up all kinds of crap about the game tomorrow, for now I go to bed.
    How do you get Achievements, btw?

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    At level 10 you start getting achievement experience for finishing quests, doing Lore quests, discovering areas, etc.

Get on Vent tomorrow then

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I forgot about Vent and now I'm going to bed!

What is up with this Heroic thing, btw? I'd use it and half the time it would show some blow horn but I don't have any blow horn abilities. I tried to find the NPC who explains it but he was probably sucking fae dick behind a shed or something because I couldn't find the guy.

Accualt on
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So the AA XP that comes from grey quests... is it significantly reduced or anything from a green quest? Is it enough AA that there's no longer a need to worry about mentoring before turning in a grey quest? (Please let the answer be yes.)

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    achievements are a huge part of this game. if you don't have achievements your character will suffer in later levels.

at level 10 you start getting achievements from 10+ quests. it use to be that once you out leveled quests you had to mentor a low level (mentoring puts you at there level with all your skills just weaker damage) and you can complete the quests and get the AA but no XP. with the recent patch though, which is totatlly f'ing awesome, you can just go do ANY quest that you missed/out leveled to get the AA from it.

if you quest you will never have to worry about it. some people go crazy and lock there XP bar and just get AA. (AA = achievements by the way)

quest to level, the new zones are very good with giving you tons of quests, but don't forget about dungeons. I actually really enjoy the dungeons in this game, especially compared to WoWs. killing bosses in dungeons also gives you AA, a really good amount of it, and there are tons and tons of bosses(named) to kill. even in random places in the world, theres tons of named monsters you can kill for AA. always keep an eye out.

this game is very group friendly, so don't forget that either. some classes can have a good amount of trouble solo'ing but everyone can do it effeciently, especially with good amounts of AA. from what i've seen the community is nice. finding groups is extremely easy. when you enter a new tier (10-19, 20-29, 30-39 etc) you automatically enter chat channels for those levels and finding groups is a breeze. that will make getting achievements and questing easier, and not to mention, more fun ;D.

about heroic opportunities:

this was wayyy confusing to me when I first started, but a guild mate of mine explained it and it's actually really simple.

when you start a battle get in the habit of always clicking heroic opportunity (this is extremely helpful for tank classes). this will bring up that weird circle thing that shows different symbols. each of your skills if you hover over them have symbols like these on them. you mentioned when you clicked it you didn't have a skill with that symbol, don't worry about this. when your around level 20 you'll have plenty of skills and will always have a chance to use heroic opportunity.

now what this does is it adds extra damage to your attacks. when you start the sequence you have to use one of your skills to start it, and then another symbol will show up and the skills that can be used for the heroic opportunity will flash on your bar (this makes it even easier to know what to use). use this skill and your attack will just about double, almost like a critical hit. also, keep testing these with different classes, such as healers and mages. they don't always do damage, it can also do different things such as debuff, heal, etc.

the reason I mentioned it was really good for tank classes is it helps you gain hate to mobs even quicker. the heroic opportunity takes about 2 seconds when you know what combination of skills to use.

for example, my 52 berzerker has about 3 - 4 different types of taunts, 2 of them just gain hate, and the others gain less hate but do damage. you'll eventually get the hang of when to do what, that just comes with experience. but basically, when you enter a fight you want to pull with your bow, use and encounter taunt (every tank class gets one of these. mobs are grouped up in an encounter that selects each of them instead of an individual mob, and there are different AoE spells that affect these but nothing else around you, so you don't accidentaly hit something you don't want.)

since you have about 3 more taunts left, you trigger the heroic opportunity, use an attack skill with the correct symbol to start it, you'll eventually learn which ones give a bonus to your taunts, most of them do anyway. once you use that skill your taunt will be flashing and if you use it, it will not only gain more hate, but also do a really good amount of damage.

note: spamming taunts does not always work! especially with good mages in your group. using a combination of heroic opportunities and your high damage attacks mixed with taunts is how you keep agro.
    (shadowknights have tons of good DPS attacks and self-heals, they are a really cool class ;d. btw, don't worry about different stances, it's very situational and easy to know when to switch)

I hope that made sense and helped you out, let me know if you need anything else and I'll try to help.
    I'm tired and must sleep :winky:

dnilb on
    dnilb.png
  • Options
    rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yes, finished patching and I started dicking around.

I must say I'm impressed. The UI is good, it has some great features, and the talking NPCs is a nice touch. Clearly the graphics engine is great though some of the stuff I've seen is ugly and some of it is top notch art. I'm enjoying myself, quick leveling and I love that I auto get new skills.

I made a Gnome Conjureror named Asgro, since that sounded like the EQ1 Magician. I was sad to see my first pet is a giant bug but I saw in the Achievement tree three different elementals so I'll live. I was blown away by the amount of talents and abilities shown in the personal information tree, btw. Over all he plays just like my EQ1 Mag so I look forward to putting more time into him.

I also made a Ratwhatever Shadowknight named Accurat. >.> No skeleton pet yet but he's pretty cool. The attack animations are great. Being able to use a bow threw me off guard but it has been helpful for pulling so far. He hit level five and then I logged. Not sure how much I'm going to like battle stances on my Shadowknight. I forgot to see if they still get a weak pet like EQ1 SKs did.

I fear I could get hooked on this. There is such a huge amount of skills and, so I assume, customization because of that. I'll have to look up all kinds of crap about the game tomorrow, for now I go to bed.
    How do you get Achievements, btw?

SK's don't get a pet in EQ2. Well, they get a swarm pet, but nothing that you can control for very long. Also, crafters can make you upgraded abilities. Everyone automatically gets Apprentice I abilities when you level, and then it can get upgraded to Apprentice II (store bought), Apprentive IV (crafted), Adept I (mob drops), Adept III (crafted), or Master I (mob drop). Obviously, Master I abilities are the highest you can go. Upgrading your skills to Adept III will be about a 20% upgrade over Apprentice I. Also, you can upgrade from any tier to Master I - you don't have to step up one at a time. Oh and every 10 levels you will get what's called a Master II choice. Basically, this gives you the ability to choose one skill (out of 4 choices) to upgrade to Master II, which is 10% better (roughly) than Master I. While you're leveling, I would always pick the highest damage ability and use that as your Master II choice. You can also respec these choices later if you need to.

Once you get about a platinum from whatever, I would check the Broker for adept 1 or 3's- they can make a big difference. Or you could just find someone who's looking for work. People can flag themselves as looking for work, and to find them, just type /who all LFW.

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    TheMole and I were talking in vent last night about possibly making a guild...at the simplest level it would at least give us an easy way to communicate and keep track of who's who and when they're online, but it would also give people who haven't played (or played much) an opportunity to see the things that EQ2 has done with guilds

so if anybody wants to do that, we'll have to coordinate a time where we can have 6 people on at once...we'll also need to come up with a name, so if anybody has suggestions that would help

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Thanks for all the information, guys. Very useful.

The lack of a pet for my SK is disappointing. I loved my stupid and nearly worthless skeleton pet in EQ1.
    I didn't notice a Beastmaster class in EQ2 either. Is there any type of melee class that gets a pet?

I'm pretty excited to get home and fool around with the game some more.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

The lack of a pet for my SK is disappointing. I loved my stupid and nearly worthless skeleton pet in EQ1.
    I didn't notice a Beastmaster class in EQ2 either. Is there any type of melee class that gets a pet?

i too was disappointed for my SK, i got my SK to 25 before I realized that I'd never be getting a pet :(

there is no melee class that gets pets...i think it's just necro's and conjurers get actual pets...some other classes get pets that you really can't control and don't last more than a fight, but the only real pets are from the summoner classes

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'll be on at around 4-5 PM PST.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    BEAST! wrote: »

i too was disappointed for my SK, i got my SK to 25 before I realized that I'd never be getting a pet :(

there is no melee class that gets pets...i think it's just necro's and conjurers get actual pets...some other classes get pets that you really can't control and don't last more than a fight, but the only real pets are from the summoner classes

Laaaame.

You'd think out of the 80 or so classes in this game at least one melee would get a pet since EQ1 had two with pets. Three if you count Druids.

Oh well.
    So can good and evil hang out together or no?

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    BEAST! wrote: »

Laaaame.

You'd think out of the 80 or so classes in this game at least one melee would get a pet since EQ1 had two with pets. Three if you count Druids.

Oh well.
    So can good and evil hang out together or no?
    i agree

good and evil cannot hang out at eachothers houses....like, a freeport citizen couldn't go to Qeynos, you can sneak in but there are guards everywhere so it's a bit difficult doing anything....you could all hang out in gorowyn though i think, i'm pretty sure it's a neutral city....

from what i can tell, a lot of people are creating characters in timorous deep (which is where gorowyn is)..it's lots of new stuff, really nicely put together......i created a new character there just to play with some of you who are just getting into the game, but i'll also probably be running around a lot with my 55 fury...

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Depends on your server type. On PvP servers, no. On PvE servers, yes. It's just a bit more annoying for goods and evils to hang out, because they reside in different cities that are quite a ways apart. For the most part, once you get up to the mid-20's and early 30's, you'll easily be able to hang out though. There are bells in each major city (except Kelethin, bunch of fags) that take you to the Thundering Steppes dock, the Nektulos Forest dock, or the Sinking Sands dock. Note that once you're there, the only way back home is to use your Call of Qeynos/Call of the Overlord or run.

rehtonAesoohC on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Oh also, on travel: There are Druid rings in certain zones (Antonica, Commonlands, Butcherblock Mountains, Steamfont, Greater Faydark) that you can use for quick transportation. Any level 20 or higher druid can teleport you to these locations, but in order to be able to go there, you need to pick a berry off of a bush from the druid ring you want to visit. Wizards and Warlocks can also portal their group to Greater Faydark.

rehtonAesoohC on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    early on you wont notice much of a difference, but try an keep all your skills atleast adept1, 3 if you can and master 1 if you come across a lot of money.

apprentice skills are very weak, and when your grouped with people that have been playing a while you'll be out-damaged by a good amount.

my advice would be to pick up the proffesion for whatever you are playing that can make yourself skills. if your an SK go alchemist. not only can you make skills for yourself, but also nifty potions and what not, that DO sell for good amounts. if your a healer go sage, scout go jeweler. jeweler probably makes the most amount of money for anything. everybody needs mastercrafted jewelry PLUS theres tons of scouts always looking for skills.

dnilb on
    dnilb.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    So, anyone around?

I'm in-game and on Vent, and will likely be around all night (hooray for no class tomorrow).

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Back in-game/Vent, where the hell were you people last night (minus eelektrik)?

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    sorry, i played AoC for a few minutes when I got home, and then I got totally fucking drunk watching the lakers game, i'll be around tonight....so like....5 or 6 hours from now

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    How much hard drive space does this take up with everything downloaded and patched up? If I'm getting a free month, I figure what the hell, might as well come back and tool around a bit for something to do. Just need to know how much por...family friendly files to delete.

About the only thing I still remember was the whole questline to defect from Freeport. Aside from the fact that they wanted me to kill about 300 mobs to do it, the actual story and quest was really, really cool.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    You get 2 free months.

Fully patched up with all the stuff is 9.74 gb.

Excuse me as I go back to wasting all my money on the Gigglegibber gambling game. If I match 6 I get 358 plat, 79 gold. That's worth wasting 86 gold on, right?

EDIT: Won't be back on til later tonight/possibly tomorrow

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png