As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX 04: The Good, The Bad & Making It Better

• CailYoungCailYoung Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Perhaps I over-estimated Meydenbauer's A/V infrastructure.

Why would you have the broadcast go to a nearby hotel? That doesn't make sense...

CailYoung on
    Freak this, I'm going to the toilet - Shaun Micallef
  • SquallSeeD31SquallSeeD31 Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    If Meydenbauer has the capability to allow a broadcast to Meydenbauer TVs, it would be a great idea to have PAX TV running in the halls. If not, the next best solution is to offer it at the hotel. During the evening, late night, morning, whatever, they could do a replay of the events they filmed, for those who missed them live. They actually did this at Meydenbauer on their TVs for the panels from the night before, but the big problem with those TVs is that there's a crowd of geeks surrounding them and the volume is never quite right.
    I think they should continue to show the panel events live on a TV at Meydenbauer, but also show that film sometime later in the hotel. I'm not suggesting that anyone would ever want to leave the show, but if the slightly less hardcore would rather see the concert footage than play Halo all night, that option could be made available.

SquallSeeD31 on
    FFXIV: Alchemy Stuff Character:
    8229_48d6215903dff562.png
  • YatesYates Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    SnowGhost wrote:
    Yates wrote:
    Close down between 2am and 8am. It may be a little unpopular
    YOU DIE NOW!.. Sleep deprivation, starvation and lack of sanitation/hygiene is part of the fun. On site food would be good, though. The Meydenbauer has an enormous kitchen in between the console and byoc/PC rooms.

I think everyone has covered anything and everything that could be added and or changed for next year. There is only one thing that I want, nay, demand for PAX05:
    MC Chris
    In 2005, backpacks will have jets...

Lol, yah I can be sleep deprived, starved, and dirty at home... for free!

Yates on
  • LukasLukas Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    flatrabbit wrote:
    Next year I'm actually going to play a damn game. I played a total of 1.5 hrs of games in the 40+ hours I was there. And most of that time came at about 1AM on Sunday when a few enforcers and I decided to requisition a spare xbox and take it down stairs into the 2nd floor lobby area and use a TV there to play a bit of halo. Then some asshat stole a banner and cut our session short.

Hear hear. Except when we *cough* "stress tested" the halo network on Friday, the only gaming I did all weekend was the 20 minutes I got try Jade Empire and Fable after they closed the Exhibition hall to everyone except for staff. That got cut short by the call for all extra Enforcers to help set up for the debacle that was the Black Arrow tournament.

Lukas on
    Not just no, but HELL no.
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2004
    SnowGhost wrote:
    Yates wrote:
    Close down between 2am and 8am. It may be a little unpopular
    YOU DIE NOW!.. Sleep deprivation, starvation and lack of sanitation/hygiene is part of the fun. On site food would be good, though. The Meydenbauer has an enormous kitchen in between the console and byoc/PC rooms.

I think everyone has covered anything and everything that could be added and or changed for next year. There is only one thing that I want, nay, demand for PAX05:
    MC Chris
    In 2005, backpacks will have jets...

Well, we might pass out from the stench if we get too many of you people that refuse to leave to go clean yourself... You dont have to go get some sleep, but at least, go fucking shower and put some deodorant on...

Id kick everyone out at 7am, and let them back in at 9am... Lets them set up everything for any early sunday morning tournaments, and gets people to leave so they hopfully take that time to shower... Would also help make sure you dont forget to kick out any people that only got a 1 day pass... And most importantly, people would have no excuse not to go fucking shower...

But yes, MC Chris kicks ass and should be there next year damnit.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • LukasLukas Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    eelektrik wrote:
    And most importantly, people would have no excuse not to go fucking shower...

They didn't get a hotel room?

Lukas on
    Not just no, but HELL no.
  • sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2004
    Most definitely agree on the MC Chris. Pass out those pine tree car fresheners. Fight the funk AND smell like evergreens at the same time.

sPider817 on
    Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • Ina.Drunken.StuporIna.Drunken.Stupor Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    I loved PAX! but I was only there for 6 hours or so :cry: but one of the things I didnt like was the layout of the Center, sure it had room, but I had to be a goddamn Sam Fisher to get to where I was going. There are several other centers in the area(maybe even Tacoma?) Also if your going to bring in some arcades, I demand Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, so I may unleash some total ownage on the unwashed masses. :twisted:

Ina.Drunken.Stupor on
    FACT: Drinking and Driving is the second leading cause for crashes in Washington State, the first is being run of the road.

Washington State:Full of drunks and assholes.....and drunk assholes.....like me.
  • omoshiroiomoshiroi Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Lukas wrote:
    They didn't get a hotel room?

Yeah, but I don't quite understand that either. Being short of money is one thing, but the only person who thinks it's entertaining to turn into an irritable, stinky, psychotic, sleep-deprived, over-caffeinated asshole is the guy who's doing it to himself.

Honestly guys, nobody thinks you're hardcore. We just wish you'd borrow someone's room and get a shower and a couple hours sleep.

omoshiroi on
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!
  • Zig21Zig21 Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Also if your going to bring in some arcades, I demand Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, so I may unleash some total ownage on the unwashed masses.

lol, not in Seattle foo. If you're not careful, the Marvel playing masses will own YOU.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited September 2004
    lol, not in Seattle foo. If you're not careful, the Marvel playing masses will own YOU.[/quote]

:lol:

I live in Tacoma, believe me, I am well aware of the level of skill in Washington when it comes to this game. BTW anyone who used infinity combo's is a puss.

Ina.Drunken.Stupor on
    FACT: Drinking and Driving is the second leading cause for crashes in Washington State, the first is being run of the road.

Washington State:Full of drunks and assholes.....and drunk assholes.....like me.
  • graizurgraizur __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2004
    galenblade wrote:
    - Less Porkfry.
    I mean, the dude knows G&T personally, so why does he need to ask something in the Q&A?
    let some of the others speak and be heard.

and Also

A very special kind of BoothBabe.

I am against the idea of boothbabes in general, however what if we all made an effort to find I dunno, some strippers that also were hardcore gamers. We could just invite them to show up. Just to make it less of a sausage fest.

graizur on
    edited September 2004
    BTW anyone who used infinity combo's is a puss.

No offense, but calling people pussies just for using stuff that works is fuckin stupid. You're basically saying "hey you, stop winning". If something like infinites pisses you off, that's the game's fault, not the player's. The notion of honor or having a fair fight is total bullshit. Playing hardcore tourney-style in casual play is definitely lame 'cause, well, it's casual, but otherwise, you should insist people bring their best. Expecting someone to dumb down their game for your sake is rediculous.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • SnowGhostSnowGhost Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    At approximately 3:45am on Sunday morning, after playing the single most righteous round of Halo ever, I staggered back down to the Doubletree with the intent of waking up at 7am sharp.. fast forward to 10:50ish when I actually awakened to the most intense caffeine withdrawal I've ever experienced.. I still have the scar on the palm of my hand, affectionately titled the Bawls stigmata, from ripping the top off of my first bottle of the day.. vertically, without twisting it. Long story short, when I woke up, that's when I showered and changed my clothes.

When did you?

SnowGhost on
    edited September 2004
    SnowGhost wrote:
    At approximately 3:45am on Sunday morning, after playing the single most righteous round of Halo ever, I staggered back down to the Doubletree with the intent of waking up at 7am sharp.. fast forward to 10:50ish when I actually awakened to the most intense caffeine withdrawal I've ever experienced.. I still have the scar on the palm of my hand, affectionately titled the Bawls stigmata, from ripping the top off of my first bottle of the day.. vertically, without twisting it. Long story short, when I woke up, that's when I showered and changed my clothes.

When did you?

I left PAX at about 4am after getting in some Double Dash practice and a couple rounds of Halo with Gus from RvB... Went back to the Bellevue Lodge for some sleep, planning to wake up at like 9am, the alarm didnt work, woke up at 1pm(fuck! Too much sleep!) Showered and put fresh deodorant on and headed back to PAX as quickly as possible to get in line for Halo 2...only to find out they handed out tickets for it, early in the morning, when I wasnt there...

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • FrowbakkFrowbakk Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    I just got the NorWesCon 27 post-con report in the mail. Their attendance for a 4-day convention was 2808. PAX came close or beat that number first time out the gate.

Their 'Early Registration' price for next year is $50. (NorWesCon 28, not PAX'05... don't worry)

The convention is held at the SeaTac Doubletree, and fills the hotel Easter weekend. Perhaps finding a weekend there would be good for PAX because of the 3 large ballrooms on the 1st floor, multiple smaller convention rooms, even more meeting/panel rooms scattered in hallways closeby.

Having people rooming in the hotel would be much more convenient. Maybe even have a Cartoons & Cereal catered thing in the morning to watch videos (old MechWarrior cartoon, anyone?) and build up enough of a sugar rush to sustain the caffeine surge later.

HOWEVER...

Such a space does not come without a price. The guide says it took over $100,000 to hold NorWesCon 27, and they had 161 Volunteers working 2301 hours during the convention to make it happen. That's one person working 40 hours a week for a year, to put it in perspective.

Remember that when you want to see something new or different, but don't want to give up any of your gaming time to make it happen, then guess what? It ain't gonna happen.

A suggestion would be to make 'Uber-Enforcers' for each aspect of PAX'05: Registration, Programming (live events, that is), PC Room, Console Room, Tabletop Room, Exhibiton Liason, Security (to check badges/stop banners from running away), not to mention Set-Up and tear-Down crews.

Then, under the Uber-Enforcers (and their core teams), regular Volunteers could be organized into easy-to-take 3 or 4 hour shifts. Volunteer enough, get a staff T-shirt. Volunteer more, maybe get other prizes, or access to reserved seating in events when not on shift.

Frowbakk on
    Your sig was too tall.
    edited September 2004
    Zig21 wrote:
    BTW anyone who used infinity combo's is a puss.

No offense, but calling people pussies just for using stuff that works is fuckin stupid. You're basically saying "hey you, stop winning". If something like infinites pisses you off, that's the game's fault, not the player's. The notion of honor or having a fair fight is total bullshit. Playing hardcore tourney-style in casual play is definitely lame 'cause, well, it's casual, but otherwise, you should insist people bring their best. Expecting someone to dumb down their game for your sake is rediculous.

I was inncorrect when I said puss, I should have said lamers. as for the notion of 'hey you stop winning' I understand there is a vast difference between tourny play and casual, but does that mean then that its also ok for me to exploit glitches in the game to win?

Ina.Drunken.Stupor on

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2004
    up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, B, A, select, start.

If you dont know what this is from, why are you still alive?

You know you have the code wrong, don't you?

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
    edited September 2004
    does that mean then that its also ok for me to exploit glitches in the game to win?

Infinites aren't really glitches. And a lot of flashy, stylish stuff counts as glitches. Then you got ugly shit like runaway Storm, which isn't really a glitch, but is fuckin retarded to watch and play against. Cable's AHVBx3 isn't a glitch either.

So yeah, of course it's alright to exploit glitches, 'cause just using a glitch doesn't mean it's "lame" or less skillfull (never mind the fact that there's no rule saying glitches shouldn't be used to begin with). The definition of a glitch is so broad that it essentially encompasses anything the developers didn't know about (and they've known about infinites since the VS series began), so the actual merits of one are relative. An extreme example would be the Gambit glitch, which is banned for a very good reason. But about Sent's fast-fly combos? Those are stylish, and take a hell of a lot of skill to apply and pull off.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited September 2004
    Zig21 wrote:
    does that mean then that its also ok for me to exploit glitches in the game to win?

Infinites aren't really glitches. And a lot of flashy, stylish stuff counts as glitches. Then you got ugly shit like runaway Storm, which isn't really a glitch, but is fuckin retarded to watch and play against. Cable's AHVBx3 isn't a glitch either.

So yeah, of course it's alright to exploit glitches, 'cause just using a glitch doesn't mean it's "lame" or less skillfull (never mind the fact that there's no rule saying glitches shouldn't be used to begin with). The definition of a glitch is so broad that it essentially encompasses anything the developers didn't know about (and they've known about infinites since the VS series began), so the actual merits of one are relative. An extreme example would be the Gambit glitch, which is banned for a very good reason. But about Sent's fast-fly combos? Those are stylish, and take a hell of a lot of skill to apply and pull off.

I suppose I do see your point, however, perhaps I just have that 'sense of honor' but I feel its only fair to allow your opponent a chance inbetween combos. Dont get me wrong, I understand some of these undeafable combos are hard to pull off, and the flashy ones that I nearly get an epileptic seizure from watching I truely appreciate, but sometimes it just seems like whoever can get their combo off first wins. Ah well, to the victor go the spoils and the ends justify the means ect. ect. ect.

Ina.Drunken.Stupor on

edited September 2004
    Werd.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2004
    i am so confused

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
    edited September 2004
    Hmm... just remembered a friend in Everett has a BattleBot...

BattleBots next year?

Frowbakk on
    Your sig was too tall.
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2004
    Frowbakk wrote:
    Hmm... just remembered a friend in Everett has a BattleBot...

BattleBots next year?

THQ was supposed to make a BattleBots game for GC, but then the show got canned and I think the game never materialized.

It's too bad, because the game looked like a helluva lotta fun.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • flatrabbitflatrabbit King of Toast That place, over there.Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Frowbakk wrote:
    A suggestion would be to make 'Uber-Enforcers' for each aspect of PAX'05: Registration, Programming (live events, that is), PC Room, Console Room, Tabletop Room, Exhibiton Liason, Security (to check badges/stop banners from running away), not to mention Set-Up and tear-Down crews.

Then, under the Uber-Enforcers (and their core teams), regular Volunteers could be organized into easy-to-take 3 or 4 hour shifts. Volunteer enough, get a staff T-shirt. Volunteer more, maybe get other prizes, or access to reserved seating in events when not on shift.

That's pretty much the way it was, each room had it's own admin and the small band of volunteers were scheduled 4 hours shifts in various rooms. We had a couple of people that were considered "Uber" (PRD, Khoo, Jim, & Fehlauer. I guess Mike and Jerry count too). The fact that it ran as smoothly as it did was a testament to the skills of that core group of people. I have never seen people so willing to go beyond the call of duty to do what ever was necessary to make this thing work. I'm sure that next year there will be (hopefully) a few more volunteers so we can put more staff in each room. Plus we know what area's need more room and what areas need more watching. I for one can't wait till '05.

flatrabbit on
    --"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
  • sage_ich_nichtsage_ich_nicht Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    My desires for next year:

Badges and lanyards.
    More signs, less lines.
    Open the main ballroom for the concerts. Have open seating and a pit for moshing/crowdsurfing/stagediving.
    Book the Black Mages.
    Book Machinae Supremacy.
    Get the musical acts from PAX04 back.
    Bring back DDR.
    Truckloads of Bawls.
    More PCs in the Freeplay PC area.
    Casemod contest.
    Scavenger hunt!
    This list is like... the absolute solution for everything about PAX. Except the part with the moshing. Moshing sucks. Everybody who moshes is a damn fucking lamer who deserves to die and burn in the fires of hell. And I think maydenbauer guys have something against crowdsurfing/stagediving. (suckers.)

sage_ich_nicht on
    "Fairy tales don't teach children that monsters exist.
    Children already know that monsters exist.
    Fairy tales teach children that monsters can be killed."

G. K. Chesterton
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited September 2004
    Ok, moshing doesn't suck and people who enjoy mosh pits aren't lame, but there certainly is a time and place for them. (The theater isn't one of those.)

I'm impressed that we got a bigger turnout than Norwescon. I didn't go last year, but I've been before, and it seemed much bigger. Maybe it was because of the hotel and convention being in one building. I really do like the way they have that place laid out, and PAX might be really cool that way.

However, there really isn't much to do around that area. If you need an "escape" you can't just walk out and hit a strip mall. You can't just take a 5 min drive to the city, or walk around the corner and check out the local anime shop. I like being closer to the city.

Unknown User on
    edited September 2004
    Since I have the first post, how would folks feel if I summarized the thread on the first post through that wonderful function called 'edit'?

Just asking, before considering the hassle...

Frowbakk on
    Your sig was too tall.
    edited September 2004
    It might restrict the "I didn't bother to read anything but I think everyone should listen to me anyway" posts which start driving me insane.

More work than I would put into, but if you've got the time, I say have at it. :)

Unknown User on
  • graizurgraizur __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2004
    I would like an "Introduction to PC Gaming for the Console Poor" class.

So I can learn all about ho to change my settings and play with a keyboard. And how Super complex MMORPGS actualy work and play.

graizur on
    edited September 2004
    I realize no one's posted in this thread for a few days now and that the "OMG PAX" effect had worn down by this point, but I just thought I'd throw in my two cents regarding the musical performances.

Everyone's touched on the seating thing, so that aside I think the lineup should be thought out a little better in the future. Specifically I'm refering to The Minibosses and MC Frontalot. I think it would've worked better had Frontalot gone before the Bosses because the Bosses were obviously who everyone wanted to see, and a lot of people left after they finished up. The people who stayed just didn't have the energy left over to give Frontalot the crowd moving sensation he deserved.

Unknown User on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2004
    Astrec wrote:
    I realize no one's posted in this thread for a few days now and that the "OMG PAX" effect had worn down by this point,

Pffft whenever I speak of pax to people or people ask me about it, its still "OMG PAX!!1!one!"

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    edited October 2004
    There is a lull in activity, as to be expected. After the new year people will start planning vacation schedules as soon as the PAX 2005 dates are confirmed. I know my brother will want to fly out from Boston to catch PAX next time around, and there are probably many more people just like him who wanted to be there, but couldn't re-arrange schedules with only a few months notice.

Now to drag in another topic from the PAX threads at large: Nerf/LazerTag/etc at PAX next year...
    Let's run down the W5H:

Who'd be involved: Folks with the gear, and a few (if any) spectators

What: nerf or LazerTag, or both

Where: The all-imprtant question in the cramped Meydenbauer Center. Maybe space at the Doubletree would work, or set up an outside battle arena somewhere...

When: Lazer Tag works better at night (or in the dark), nerf practically anytime.

Why: The often overlooked question.... How about just getting a group to go out and go paintballing or to a FunCenter with LazerTag instead?

How: The Ultimate question. How is it going to be run, how wil it be organized, how will rules & restrictions be made known to attendees (such as the No Photgraphy rule common at LazerTag events since the cameras IR rangefinder for the Flash/focus sets off the LazerTag hit counters...)

and that brings us back to Who, as in...

Who's going to set-up, organize and run teh darn thing?

Frowbakk on
    Your sig was too tall.
    edited October 2004
    kids in iowa all really want to go, but none of us could cause it started a week after our school started, we want it to start like, 3 weeks earlier this upcoming year. does gabe or tycho ever read this stuff?

Unknown User on
    edited October 2004
    Oh, and I agree with whoever posted this before, but I think it was complete shit that the supertrip people got special treatment when it came to the performaces and panels. Yeah, what they did was cool, but that doesn't constitute being able to essentially cut in line. Especially when you would see one panel and then miss out on the next one due to seating problems. The supertrip people sure as hell didn't. They got to sit right outside the theater while everyone else was forced outside and into the impossibly long line. [/rant]

Unknown User on
    edited October 2004
    Astrec wrote:
    Oh, and I agree with whoever posted this before, but I think it was complete shit that the supertrip people got special treatment when it came to the performaces and panels. Yeah, what they did was cool, but that doesn't constitute being able to essentially cut in line. Especially when you would see one panel and then miss out on the next one due to seating problems. The supertrip people sure as hell didn't. They got to sit right outside the theater while everyone else was forced outside and into the impossibly long line. [/rant]

We only got special seating for one panel(the first PA Q&A)... And, being that we saw that, none of us were allowed to stay for Red vs. Blue, which alot of us wanted to see, and didnt get to. So, I dont know what your complaining about.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    edited October 2004
    Really? Because as I was leaving the theater after the panel there were a bunch of people just chilling in that little inner chamber there and security told my friend and I that unless we were with the super trip we had to go and wait in line.

Unknown User on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    Astrec wrote:
    Really? Because as I was leaving the theater after the panel there were a bunch of people just chilling in that little inner chamber there and security told my friend and I that unless we were with the super trip we had to go and wait in line.

Yeah. That was some of the other Supertrip people who missed out on the first Q&A panel. They let them go in for Red Vs Blue. :)

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • impsethimpseth Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    Frowbakk wrote:
    So, let's hear your Good, Bad, and suggestions to make it better...

I should be there.

impseth on
    Sigs are fun.
    edited November 2004
    Well, PAX 05 is going to be held August 26-28th 2005.

Plenty of time to start saving your pennies to get there. Put aside $20 a week in your piggy bank and you'll have more than enough to fly in, get a hotel room, game your ass off for three days, shower, eat, go on a caffiene-induced hallucination filled spree of the hotel room parties after hours, occasonally sleep, and fly home to taunt everyone who wanted to go, but couldn't.

Or have a bunch of friends each put aside $10 a week until PAX and do the same thing, but with a crew you can hang with and split room expenses.

Frowbakk on
    Your sig was too tall.