As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Momentous Occasion of the Week 06/04/08

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Gwen-or-MJ-am-I-holding-her-back would have been really boring.

And the entire point of BND is invalidating the majority of changes that have taken place in recent time. It's a regression, not a change.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Fooswashere1Fooswashere1 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I love seeing the overly obnoxious Onomatopoeia. Saying those out loud just make me feel all sorts of special.

Fooswashere1 on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Most of issue #24 of Atom was hard to understand but the ending was so awesome.
    Ray! 8-)

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2008
    hahahaha the special guest in Detective Comics

Dustin Nguyen's art is amazing

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man, Criminal was nice. I hate you motherfuckers that don't buy that book. Sean Philips was drawing pages even though he passed a fucking kidney stone, god damn it. Go reward his hardcore skills and purchase the book. :x

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    hahahaha the special guest in Detective Comics

Dustin Nguyen's art is amazing

I feel like I should be getting detective. If I bought this issue, how many back would I need to read before I got the full extent of this one? The last issue of detective I read was the one during Resurrection of Ra's.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2008
    All of Dini's Detective Comics issues have been one-shots, except for (I think) two stories that were two-parters.

Although they do reference stuff in earlier issues, you don't really need to read previous issues to understand the stories.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ya, this week's Detective was great and you could be satisfied with only picking up that one issue and never readign another one again if you wanted. It's exactly as Keith said, a done in one story.
    Man, Criminal was nice. I hate you motherfuckers that don't buy that book. Sean Philips was drawing pages even though he passed a fucking kidney stone, god damn it. Go reward his hardcore skills and purchase the book.

I know there's extras in the singles and I'm a bad person for not buying them, but I cant handle the wait between issues of Criminal. It reads a million times better, for me, as a trade and that's how I'll continue to read it, unfortunately.

KVW on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Manhunter was really good. It felt like there was a ton of story in the one issue. I'm not sure how I feel about Gaydos' art, though. I mean, it's good, but it doesn't feel right for the book. It's really dark, and not in a thematic sense. Who knows, though, it might grow on me.

But I really like
    the Blue Beetle tie-in. It's not just "oh, Blue Beetle's showing up in the book.", I'm pretty sure this'll be referenced in his book, since next month's issue of BB starts the whole immigration storyline and the solicit says "As Blue Beetle struggles to establish himself as the protector of El Paso and Cuidad Juarez", which is what Manhunter is dealing with now.

It just makes me love the book even more.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    nightwing is another book that has a ton of content in each issue. not only is this story arc like 7 issues long, but it probably has more story than some books do in a year (which is an awesome thing).

i can't recommend Tomasi's nightwing enough. it is just so good. and Rags Morales' pencils have been getting better

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh my god

Buffy was the best thing ever in the history of ever.
    "I AM A TEENAGER. I LIKE BLUEJEANS AND IRONY."

Dracula being awesome.
    b19-1.jpg

The next issue is Fray motherfuckers.

Also this is pretty much Xander's moment to go Wesley and take a level in badass. He's going to have guns and a weird foldy-sword in the next issue.

also, Secret Invasion 3
    The last three pages were glorious. I thought the skrull was exploded by Daisy, though. I didn't think that Fury shot him.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I can't believe there's only one more issue of All New Atom left.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited June 2008
    are you shitting me

Whippy on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Buffy was great
    dawn vs mechadawn, and the lesbian "tasting sweet" comment"

Also, I got a kick out of a random in my pile. I picked up the Lost Boys: Reign of the Frogs issue 1 and it was pretty damn good.
    takes place a year or two after the movie, in 1990, and they're hunting vampires for the president. actually well written with a lot of good humor.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    are you shitting me

nope

three more left of catwoman : (

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ultimate Origins was pretty awesome too.

I didn't think they could pull off a revelation big enough to interest me, but they totally did.
    Canadians created the x-gene using Wolverine's DNA during a supersoldier experiment. Yes, Canadians. Though I'm not entirely sure how a large part of the human population could have if it's made in a laboratory. Maybe Canadians just figured out a way to make a body form the x-gene from the innate characteristics already present.

Also, Ultimate Nick Fury also doubles as Ultimate Isaiah Bradley, though before instead of after Steve Roger's Captain-Americanification.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    Ultimate Origins was pretty awesome too.

I didn't think they could pull off a revelation big enough to interest me, but they totally did.
    Canadians created the x-gene using Wolverine's DNA during a supersoldier experiment. Yes, Canadians. Though I'm not entirely sure how a large part of the human population could have if it's made in a laboratory. Maybe Canadians just figured out a way to make a body form the x-gene from the innate characteristics already present.

Also, Ultimate Nick Fury also doubles as Ultimate Isaiah Bradley, though before instead of after Steve Roger's Captain-Americanification.

About Canadians:
    The polite thing is a ruse. We're EVVVVIIILLLLL.

About Origins
    Not as big a fan of the issue as you, but it wasn't terrible either. It seemed more like the Canadians were working with the US Super SOldier project in tandum to create the mutant genome. Bendis isn't a biologist, so most of this sounds like complete bullshit to me and like he's talking out of his ass, but it's comics, so I'll just go with his genome explanations. Seems like it's going to function like a virus of some sort. Maybe they do vaccinations with tainted syringes with the mutant genome on it and that's where the mutants came from?

And for Fury, it didn't make any sense to me. Why hasn't he showed this Hulk-like strength before and why would he let himself be taken captive if he could do what he did in this issue?

KVW on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    re: Fury's role in Ultimate Origins
    Why did Fury let himself be taken captive when? In that scene in Origins? I was under the impression that he got the super-strength from the experiment, after he was already taken captive. Also, I figured that the super-strength was a temporary effect of whatever they injected him with fucking around with his system; after a bit of time, his body accepts or rejects the injection or whatever, settles down, and he becomes more-or-less normal.

re: Logan's role in Ultimate Origins
    So, wait, was he or was he not a mutant with a healing factor during WWII? Was he just a regular dude, and then scientists experimented on him and cooked up the mutant gene with him as the guinea pig? Also, if he's mutant zero, does that mean that issues 2-5 of Origins is going to be Logan sleeping with as many women as he can find to make tons of mutant babies?

Delduwath on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    The last couple pages of Kick-Ass...

Shit just got real.

Man, my shop didn't get a full shipment of Kick-Ass and I have to wait until next week. :(

I was so pissed off.

I swear if my shop messed up my pull list this week and didn't grab it for me
    You'll be hearing about me on the news

Me Too! on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Why did Fury let himself be taken captive when? In that scene in Origins? I was under the impression that he got the super-strength from the experiment, after he was already taken captive. Also, I figured that the super-strength was a temporary effect of whatever they injected him with fucking around with his system; after a bit of time, his body accepts or rejects the injection or whatever, settles down, and he becomes more-or-less normal.

For this one time, I will accept the continuity errors or whatever half-assed explanation they are going to give. The brief moment of genuine surprise and delight I got from the issue is enough to allow them some liberties.
    So, wait, was he or was he not a mutant with a healing factor during WWII? Was he just a regular dude, and then scientists experimented on him and cooked up the mutant gene with him as the guinea pig? Also, if he's mutant zero, does that mean that issues 2-5 of Origins is going to be Logan sleeping with as many women as he can find to make tons of mutant babies?

I don't especially like Wolverine, but I would totally read that. "Professor X... I'm your father!" "Noooo!!!" "By the way, Jean, I'm also your father. And Scott, Jean is your half sister."

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Is it also bad that I'm probably dropping Iron Fist after Fraction moves on?

Yes.
    KVW wrote: »
    I know there's extras in the singles and I'm a bad person for not buying them, but I cant handle the wait between issues of Criminal. It reads a million times better, for me, as a trade and that's how I'll continue to read it, unfortunately.

The last three issues have been one-shots, and the delays didn't come until they relaunched it as volume two after Lawless concluded. The solicits have it coming out monthly as normal with this new arc, so what's the problem?

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Buffy:
    Dracula giving Xander the sword to kill the main vamp. "You know nothing of honor" and then in the back ground you see him on his knees hugging Buffy while the chaos explodes around them. Truly was an amazing panel, I could just feel the heartbreak in such a simple thing.

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Is it also bad that I'm probably dropping Iron Fist after Fraction moves on?

Yes.
    KVW wrote: »

The last three issues have been one-shots, and the delays didn't come until they relaunched it as volume two after Lawless concluded. The solicits have it coming out monthly as normal with this new arc, so what's the problem?

I wasn't talking about delays. I just find I get right into a story and then bam, wait 30 days. Try to get back into it, bam, wait another 30 days. You could say all comics are like that, but maybe the non-super hero aspect of it makes it tougher fo rme. I have the same problem with Fables and have resigned myself to trades for that series.

KVW on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Delduwath wrote: »

I think that they probably dispersed (accidentally or on purpose) the serum into the world. The most likely way is through injections at random throughout the population, and it would explain why so many are from North America.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, I know that that's probably what happened. I just liked my version better.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »
    Buffy:
    Dracula giving Xander the sword to kill the main vamp. "You know nothing of honor" and then in the back ground you see him on his knees hugging Buffy while the chaos explodes around them. Truly was an amazing panel, I could just feel the heartbreak in such a simple thing.

Seriously. Such as a good issue. I think it overtook Giant-Size Astonishing as the best anything ever.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    smokmnky wrote: »
    Buffy:

Seriously. Such as a good issue. I think it overtook Giant-Size Astonishing as the best anything ever.

Really looking forward to seeing how they bring Fray into the mix next month. I hope it doesn't suck.

Also, I'm looing forward to
    someone from the buffy side figuring out what the hell happened to LA and coming in to save Angel and his crew. My take is still that to Buffy and the others, LA looks normal, like nothing happened, and just the people that were in there when the circle of thorn fell are trapped in a hell dimension. To the outside world everything seems normal though.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    SI #3 was great, but Nightwing really stole the show out of everything I've read from my stack so far. If I had to pick the best scene in the book, it'd probably be Dick's counter-threat to Talia.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Wait are they really bringing the Angel books into Buffy now?
    Am I going to have start reading Buffy?

Me Too! on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    as far as I know the series are not crossing over.

Angel and Spike had cameos in a Buffy issue (it was a dream sequence) but thats pretty much as far as its going to go since the Buffy and Angel lisceneses belong to seperate publishers.

Although honestly the Buffy comic is light years better than the Angel comic.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Hey you shut your whore mouth
    I refuse to listen to your slander

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    wiggin I read both

I think I would know

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I still refuse to listen to it

Me Too! on
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The last fucking page of SI #3.
    No, I still haven't gotten over how awesome it is.

I haven't read Buffy yet, but I'm pretty excited for whatever happens.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    McCly wrote: »
    The last fucking page of SI #3.
    No, I still haven't gotten over how awesome it is.

I haven't read Buffy yet, but I'm pretty excited for whatever happens.

Like it was said earlier, there's no plan for a crossover due to the separate licenses/publishers, but I just kind of refuse to believe that they're going to write it off like Richie's brother on Happy Days and pretend that as far as LA goes everything is A-Ok.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Buffy. Just...Buffy.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Mecha Dawn is one of the greatest things I've ever seen.

I like blue jeans and irony

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    About Angel/Buffy crossovers: Doesn't season 8 of buffy take place during the same time as Angel season 5? As far as Buffy is concerned Angel has just taken over Wolfram & Hart and is working for the bad guys.

The only crossover would be the Italy episode that happend right before the series finale. (could be fun, seeing Andrews side of the events. I bet there was more going on than we saw in the episode).

Also: In buffy season 8 Fred would still be alive.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Also: In buffy season 8 Fred would still be alive.

Why would you do that to me? Why???

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    After a middling second issue, I really didn't think Kick-Ass would end up living up to my expectations but this issue came across alot more interesting like the first issue.

I know Millar said there would be "others" but I didn't think one of them would be
    A psychotic nine year old with a Zorro fetish and a potty mouth called "Hit-Girl"

Just didn't see it coming...and it's scarred me for life.

If the next issue doesn't begin with Dave pissing, shitting or puking all over himself I will be pleasantly surprised.

My first impulse would be to jump out of the nearest fucking window as fast as possible.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile