As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What is Success?

kouter01kouter01 Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Graphic Violence
Hey all,

This is a question for any Indie publishers, or just Indie buffs out there:-

I think indie comics and indie products in general are largely labors of love that usually shine because of the effort and detail put into them. That being said, its a tough market out there and only a small piece of the pie will ever go to the indie publisher.

My question is for the Indie publishers out there: What is success for you? Is it crossing the line into mainstream? Breaking even? Just producing a quality product?

What keeps you up at 4am every night pounding away at your craft and when do you ease back and say, "Yes!" I've done it.

What is the "it" for you?

~K

contractbarfinal.png
kouter01 on

• Options
    TravisLeggeTravisLegge Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Someone telling me they genuinely enjoyed my work.

That and not bankrupting myself.

TravisLegge on
    www.aegisstudios.net
    Home to the Contagion Role-Playing Game! News about Corpus Christie and the Cape Girls.
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I personally would define success as getting an increasing fanbase. Your first issue might only sell a couple hundred issues (or less) but if you're able to increase your sales on issue 2, or by issue 5, I would consider that a success.

Getting people to notice your work, getting a following. If people have heard of you, it will always be much easier in the future to get those contracts with the big names.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited June 2008
    When girls throw their panties at you when you're at a convention. That is the true standard of success.

Grifter on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Money is the only measure of success. Sure, there's the whole creative success where you are pleased with what you wrote, but, in theory, every new piece you release should in some way be a better than your last, creatively. If you don't enjoy doing the next book as much as the first or don't feel you put as much effort, you obviously shouldn't be doing it that way and it's not what I'd call a good measure of success.

As such, it all comes back to money. You don't have a salary or stable job. You get paid and live off what you sell in the indy world. If you are dumpster diving for food, you are failing. If you can maintain or improve your standard of living, that, to me, is a success. You don't have to make millions or something ridiculous, but if it's not a viable way to make money, it's a failure.

And I know there are starving artists and other stereotypes for creative pursuits, but my definition of success comes down to being able to make a living doing it.

KVW on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    success is when you're happy doing something

there is basically no fucking money in comics

even the best and highest paid writer in the comics industry probably ain't riding around in a dodge viper with platinum rims on his way to fuck and kill a stripper

if you're doing what you want to do, and make a little money on the side

you've done it

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Movie deal!

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    success is when you're happy doing something

there is basically no fucking money in comics

even the best and highest paid writer in the comics industry probably ain't riding around in a dodge viper with platinum rims on his way to fuck and kill a stripper

if you're doing what you want to do, and make a little money on the side

you've done it

Morrison does have those swank Armani suits though. And Mike Allred has a bitchin' house.

Munch on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I hear Warren Ellis has a house made of solid gold. Y/N?

ben0207 on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Untrue. He spent half his fortune purchasing a Suicide Girl, who now acts as his personal chauffeur and bodyguard. Therefore, he had to settle for a silver house trimmed in gold.

Munch on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Alan Moore has a magic cave under his house. I think owning a magical cave counts as some sort of success.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    MAD!MAD! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think success if when your creation can stand on its own feet. When it is earning enough that it supports itself.
    However, hearing from fans definitely makes a big difference. I good review or comment by someone who enjoyed your creation really gives you a feeling of accomplishment.

MAD! on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    MAD! wrote: »
    I think success if when your creation can stand on its own feet. When it is earning enough that it supports itself.
    However, hearing from fans definitely makes a big difference. I good review or comment by someone who enjoyed your creation really gives you a feeling of accomplishment.

I hear it's when you don't have three pages of people saying "oh god, this is the worst thing I have ever read and I feel bad for even getting it free" (hint: not you "Contract" chaps)

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Having the confidence in your work to ignore the naysayers: also a sign of success.

TravisLegge on
    www.aegisstudios.net
    Home to the Contagion Role-Playing Game! News about Corpus Christie and the Cape Girls.
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Having the confidence in your work to ignore the naysayers: also a sign of success.

Or sign of being deluded.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Or sign of being deluded.

Well, there is that...

I guess having the confidence to ignore the naysayers whilst cashing fat checks?

Do your thing. If people like it, sweet! Maybe you even make a buck or 2. If they don't like it, find out why and try to do better next time.

That is all the success you should ever need. Everything else is icing.

TravisLegge on
    www.aegisstudios.net
  • Options
    Deep FriedDeep Fried Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Success means never having to say you're sorry you chose a career in comics :)

Deep Fried on
    DF-BANNER_WEAPON-BROWN.gif
  • Options
    MAD!MAD! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Deep Fried wrote: »
    Success means never having to say you're sorry you chose a career in comics :)

Thats awesome!

MAD! on