As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Guitars...music, stuff...

124»

• candanaviancandanavian Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    um well okay we can skip the chicken :winky:

candanavian on
    firamedferris5.jpgfavicon.ico favicon.ico favicon.ico
  • blue powderblue powder Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    um well okay we can skip the chicken :winky:

dude, shuttup

yeah, I'm not sure that there's much validity to saying that an electric has a great tone without the amp, becuase you're receiving the sound through the pickups.

i've seen people on ebay try to sell shitty guitars and claim that the tone is great without an amp, so imagine how great it would be WITH one, it's just kind of redundant.

unless ofcourse the sound resonates through the wood and stuff, but it's all relative, i guess.

also I tend to agree that the gibson sg and les paul's feel like clumsy epiphones, which was an extraordinary dissapointment for me.

blue powder on
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    also I tend to agree that the gibson sg and les paul's feel like clumsy epiphones, which was an extraordinary dissapointment for me.

ouch my brain

Knob on
    edited January 2007
    Knob wrote:

ouch my brain

sorry man, i wont be a dick, maybe they weren't set up properly, and that's only like two guitars i've played so i can't generalize.

plus i play an ibanez so it's a pretty differant feel to adjust to

blue powder on
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    It only hurts my brain because most epiphones are gibson clones made with inferior materials to keep prices low

I'm not saying that there aren't epis that play better than gibsons, since fron guitar to guitar you get big variations

but the idea that as a line epiphone is putting out consistently better instruments is bizarre

Knob on
    edited January 2007
    Knob wrote:
    It only hurts my brain because most epiphones are gibson clones made with inferior materials to keep prices low

I'm not saying that there aren't epis that play better than gibsons, since fron guitar to guitar you get big variations

but the idea that as a line epiphone is putting out consistently better instruments is bizarre

no that's the thing, my epiphone was terrible, it lost it's intonation after about 6 months of playing, if that.

ofcourse the gibson would be made with better materials, hell hand made, but it still felt really clumsy and thick to me, the action especially

blue powder on
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've got an old guitar that I bought strings for as they were missing some. Thing is, one of the strings broke(24W) more then likely due to me not knowing what I'm doing. I followed the Internets and everything too.

Any advice on this matter would be most awesome as I would like to be able to play it someday.

Here are some pictures:
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e327/Meizz/P1000066.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e327/Meizz/P1000067.jpg

Meiz on
  • Dangerou-DaveDangerou-Dave __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    http://www.uncletim.com/setup.htm

Edit: Wait, advice on what exactly? Stringing it properly? Sorry I'm not much of a help, but theres a couple diagrams in that site.

Dangerou-Dave on
    edited January 2007
    http://www.uncletim.com/setup.htm

Edit: Wait, advice on what exactly? Stringing it properly? Sorry I'm not much of a help, but theres a couple diagrams in that site.

Anything you can lay on a beginer that has some distant knowledge on reading sheet music from back in High School.

That diagram helps temendously though. Just got to pick up some more strings.

Meiz on
    edited January 2007
    Honestly...

Learn the chord shapes for A, C, D, E, G...practice so you can strum between them without hesitation (this could take weeks/months).

Also, practice scales, making a point not to use your ring finger when the pinky will suffice, etc.

If you do this everyday, you can not fail. Then we can move on to bar chords, and other things. About.com has an AMAZING guitar lesson section, and I would definitely check that out.

Basically: Be able to form chords and strum between them, move on from there. Don't be one of those kids who goes right to the 'come as you are' nirvana tabs and never progress on from that point. I can't emphasize that enough haha.

Chords and scales, chords and scales...

Dangerou-Dave on
    edited January 2007
    Thanks man.

Meiz on
  • Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This is just a minor point, but a big one.

Learn how to press down as hard as you can. It sounds simple, but a lot of people I've tried to teach chords to don't understand it. Yes, it hurts at first, but after a while you devolope callouses and it doesnt hurt. Dont play for an hour straight, do a few 20 minute sessions letting your fingers rest. You'll hurt them if you play to long and havent devoloped the propper callouses.

Also, if you don't press hard enough, your chords will sound like shit and you will never learn how to play well.

Also easy chord progressions to get you going are

A to D

C to Am

C to Em

Am to Em

E to D
    Those are all progressions where one of the finger stays put or simply slides up or down.

Learn those, start with a nice slow strum and increase the speed till you can switch between them effortlessly. Then start doing progressions betweens chords where you have to move all your fingers.

Filler Inc. on
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited January 2007
    hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh

thunderhorse makes my fingers hurt

ow

Whippy on
    edited January 2007
    One other point...and I'm not quite sure how to explain it.

Don't bang your head against a wall if even the most mundane things, like switching between D and G are giving you trouble. Even if you feel like you're making no progress and it all sounds like utter shit, your dendrites are getting one hell of a workout. Every time you make that attempt to switch between, or even form a chord, and every time you fuck it up, your brain is building up dendrites which will help make it easier and automatic.

Think about typing on a keyboard. Since you're from my generation I assume you can type fluently. Think about what your fingers are doing as you type out a paragraph...Think about all the movements and fast strokes your fingers are making, hundreds per minute, several a second. Neat huh? If the keyboard were a musical instrument we would all be professionals. Learning guitar is no different whatsoever (in regards to the use of dendrites/learned behavior, etc.). So...you already know you have the talent/ability...all you need to do is build this skill, just as you built your skill for typing. If you can type, you can also become an AMAZING guitarist. A weird analogy, I know. But it's true. There are other aspects, of course, but the core of it remains the same.

Eventually, switching between D and G will be no problem, you will do it without any thought, quite literally, because your dendrites know it, and that's all that matters. I don't know how many times I've been sitting watching TV, and I'll play the first couple notes of classical gas, only to play the entire song without giving it a second thought, seemingly unable to stop, as if my brain has gone into cruise control.

Dangerou-Dave on
    edited January 2007
    Are dendrites a lot like midichlorions?

Meiz on
    edited January 2007
    Meiz wrote:

Hahah, yes exactly.

But if you really don't know, when you type it's not like you think, okay move index finger here and push down to make this letter, next move ring finger here and push down to make the next letter...your ability to do this without thinking is thanks to dendrites.

Dangerou-Dave on
    edited January 2007
    Meiz wrote:

Hahah, yes exactly.

But if you really don't know, when you type it's not like you think, okay move index finger here and push down to make this letter, next move ring finger here and push down to make the next letter...your ability to do this without thinking is thanks to dendrites.

You're a rather knowledgeable fellow, you know that?

Meiz on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I own a this
    DSC00211.jpg
    I don't know if I can even buy those guitar pics anymore

it still smells like the pawn shop I bought it from 15+ years ago

I used to have a fender stratocaster but I traded it for a car still a dumb thing I did

and yes if you can type you can play

Damn you Dethklok it forced me to break it out and start playing again
    Thunderhorse trips me up everytime I try I screw up somewhere in it

Brainleech on
    edited January 2007
    Meiz wrote:
    Meiz wrote:

Hahah, yes exactly.

You're a rather knowledgeable fellow, you know that?

Thanks hah...I just think it's interesting to look at the mundane things we do that are amazingly complex, yet are never really given a second thought.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Brainleech wrote:
    I don't know if I can even buy those guitar pics anymore
    it looks like a dunlop tortex pick
    p561d.jpg

The Cheese on
  • gazamcgazamc Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have learnt all of my Major chords (fuck you F, fuck you hard). And now im tryyyying to learn to move between them. Its tough, but even after a week and a half, im starting to be able to move it quicker. Its good stuff.

gazamc on
    edited January 2007
    gazamc wrote:
    I have learnt all of my Major chords (fuck you F, fuck you hard). And now im tryyyying to learn to move between them. Its tough, but even after a week and a half, im starting to be able to move it quicker. Its good stuff.

Dont sweat it. When I first started playing F was a chord where I thought, How the hell do you play this??? You're best off using the side of your index finger to bar the first fret instead of the flat part...that was sort of an epiphany for me.

Learning your first barre chord is a bridge that will open up the entire fret board for you, so just give it time.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • seconalseconal Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've got a guitar question.

I recently got an acoustic and everytime I hit the high e on the 10th fret the D string vibrates slightly. How can I fix this? Also, the low E and A both sound awful when any fret is pushed (they sound loose). Picked openly, they sound fine.

Would a total restringing fix all of this? or do I have to tighten/do some more advanced stuff to the guitar?

seconal on
  • HomelessHomeless Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Well, the 10th fret on the E is a D, so it may be causing the d string to resonate. When you say the lower strings sound loose, do you mean like they buzz a lot and you hit dead notes?

Homeless on
  • seconalseconal Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Homeless wrote:
    Well, the 10th fret on the E is a D, so it may be causing the d string to resonate. When you say the lower strings sound loose, do you mean like they buzz a lot and you hit dead notes?

If I put a little pressure on the low E for any fret it sounds weak; too much pressure to where I can see myself bending the string then I just get a really distorted sound.

I used my tuner to get the correct pitch, so I can't really use the tuning nuts(is that what they're called?) to tighten E or A. This is why I'm thinking I have to get the strings reset all together.

seconal on
  • HomelessHomeless Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So like, when you put lots of pressure, do you hear a lot of buzzing or does the note sound off pitch, or both?

It could be that your low E is too close to the fretboard, sometimes certain frets will just go dead if it is too close and other times every fret can sound bad. I don't have any experience messing with acoustic guitars though, so I am probably not the best dude to ask

Also, pushing to where you can see the string bend can cause the note to sound out of tune because you are stretching the string and causing it to vibrate at a higher pitch, even though the string is in tune.

Homeless on
  • musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This brings up an interesting topic for me.

Recently my strings have started to buzz a bit when I'm working on the 9th and 7th frets of the G and B strings. I think it's on the 12th fret, and it didn't happen until I started to play a lot of the hotel california solo (which uses them quite a bit)

Would restringing my guitar help, or is this something I should take it in to fix? My acoustic needed a fret filed, but I couldn't stand any buzzing on it because. The electric has different strings and some rattling (like on the low E hit hard) I figure it pretty much avoidable.

I've been thinking about raising the strings a bit using the screw dealie at the end, but I'm not sure that's a wise choice considering how clueless I am. I've read that the neck and other things need to be configured properly if you change anything...so..help me out.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg