As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Suggestion forum/role playing forum

ok let me make this very clear, I'm not entirely sure I should be posting this here but its not as if you guys have a suggestion forum here so I dont really have anywhere else to go, unless you do and I overlooked it (which is entirely possible, I'm not very observant) in which case just shut me up right now and switch it over there (if possible). anyway, another thing that I'd like to see here is a role-playing forum, I know, I know, this isnt the WoW forums, people here are WAY too intelligent for that, no, my idea is that in this forum people can create situations and just generate stories, classic role playing stories created by the 10 or so people in them. You could have the Thread host (The OP) become the moderator for the whole thing in terms of content, he decides when to call a vote on where the story should go, if new people can join, etc. (hes not an actual moderator, just for this thread on this forum). the first group of people who sign up and are approved by the thread host are allowed to post there, after that if any1 wants to join they have to send a message to the host asking permission (or otherwise get into contact with him) after which the host can chose to open the floor to a vote or he can just, u know, not. no one other than those people can post in this thread after the thread host passes the point of accepting applications to join, after that it becomes locked for everyone except them. this I think would be a very fun, troll free way to do this. or you could just make an RP server with none of that stuff. i just figured it would be nice to have so i thought i'd suggest it.

other advancements would include a point system which the thread host doles out points kind of like a text based game sort of but more litterary, thus allowing each person to come up with new abilities and so on. you could choose what weapons are allowed in this thread, those points could be used to buy those weapons, FOR THAT THREAD ONLY, they dont cross over to other threads. anyway, this I think would be a cool idea.

TheManWhoWasNotThere on

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You mean like http://forums.penny-arcade.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37 ?

I can't really speak for the admins but I doubt they have the interest in allowing game hosts to become mini-moderators, or to add the functionality you are talking about (considering that subforum gets less traffic than many others). Again, not putting words in any admins mouths, just what I think their response will be.

Anyway, Critical Failures is pretty much the role-playing forum without the ability to do the things you want the forum code to be capable of. People are pretty respectful there though. And I think it's already against the rules to post in a thread you aren't involved with.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    TheManWhoWasNotThereTheManWhoWasNotThere Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    oh i thought critical failures was just tabletop gaming, sry. and by RP forum I meant one where you could do D&D and that kind of stuff, but you could also just you know, the OP comes up with a prompt and you could do other stuff, which after seeing the critical failures forum its mostly got to do with D&D and premade games nothing really original, maybe a subforum would be good, just saying is all. also the whole thing about various things they could do for forum posts, that was just a "wildest imagination" thing, diddnt really think they would just figured i should plant the idea and maybe if im lucky they'll think about doing something simmilar.

TheManWhoWasNotThere on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    oh i thought critical failures was just tabletop gaming, sry. and by RP forum I meant one where you could do D&D and that kind of stuff, but you could also just you know, the OP comes up with a prompt and you could do other stuff, which after seeing the critical failures forum its mostly got to do with D&D and premade games nothing really original, maybe a subforum would be good, just saying is all. also the whole thing about various things they could do for forum posts, that was just a "wildest imagination" thing, diddnt really think they would just figured i should plant the idea and maybe if im lucky they'll think about doing something simmilar.

Not sure what you mean, then. I mean, as long as you have an interesting game suggestion and can follow through, I think it would be allowed there. It is dominated by tabletop gaming, but there are other types of games there as well, like the Phallas which are not tabletop games and are essentially strategic roleplaying games (though actual roleplaying is not usually a necessity).

I think the CF mods would have to chime in, like Thanatos, and/or Tube, but more or less that's what the Critical Failures subforum is for - forum-based games.

Drez on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2008
    A new forum really isn't on the cards. CF has what you need.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

like i said, i kinda figured they wouldnt, just figured cuz i had some free time it would be cool to post a suggestion. also, try as I might, I cant seem to find word based games, not looking for stat based games, looking for the more litterary type of roleplaying stuff.

TheManWhoWasNotThere on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2008
    no problem, always good to hear. you're obviously one of the three people a year who suggests a new forum without making me want to kick them in the teeth.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    no problem, always good to hear. you're obviously one of the three people a year who suggests a new forum without making me want to kick them in the teeth.

thx, I think.

TheManWhoWasNotThere on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

like i said, i kinda figured they wouldnt, just figured cuz i had some free time it would be cool to post a suggestion. also, try as I might, I cant seem to find word based games, not looking for stat based games, looking for the more litterary type of roleplaying stuff.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=60109

I didn't read this too thoroughly, but it looks like one of the word-based games. It's a Phalla, like "Mafia" games that you might play in real life. Again, not very heavy on actual roleplaying along the lines of "I strike at thee with my elvish blade!" but it is a conversational game with voting and goals and it's pretty fun. And you do get a "role" to play, though it is usually a secret role.

You can also read here to get a better general idea of what a "Phalla" is:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=57730

I'm sure the forum would be open to playing something other than a Phalla that isn't stat-based, though.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    thx i found one so i know theyre there, but I'm feeling a little bit creative tonight so I think I'll make a new one, first though I'm gonna write up the background info n stuff. think I'm going to call it End of Days

TheManWhoWasNotThere on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

thx, I think.
    You should accept that as high praise. When you've been around longer you'll learn that Tube wants to kick just about everyone in the teeth. It's kind of a hobby for him between strangling puppies and flipping off babies.

see317 on