As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Little Awesome Things/References

JintorJintor Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Penny Arcade Games
I'm surprised this isn't actually in existance just yet, but just post all the little things that you notice that are references to the strips and/or awesome.

1) Jim's head in the Detective Agency is pretty cool.
2) As is what happens if you roll a 20.
3) At least one time, a hobo called me pretty. Like a... like a racoon.
4) Wang's Chinese Food store is half-familiar, though I cannot identify exactly where from.
5) Twisp and Catsby supply baloons to Flying Pricks, or something.

This is all from memory, and my memory is shoddy as hell, so - post away!

Jintor on

• Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Jintor wrote: »
    I'm surprised this isn't actually in existance just yet, but just post all the little things that you notice that are references to the strips and/or awesome.

1) Jim's head in the Detective Agency is pretty cool.
    2) As is what happens if you roll a 20.
    3) At least one time, a hobo called me pretty. Like a... like a racoon.
    4) Wang's Chinese Food store is half-familiar, though I cannot identify exactly where from.
    5) Twisp and Catsby supply baloons to Flying Pricks, or something.

This is all from memory, and my memory is shoddy as hell, so - post away!

Wang's is from the strip about Mario's addition to Shines, I think.

There's quite a few more. An Kansas City Hotsteppers billboard on the Boardwalk, for example. And one of the clowns once demanded frozen treats.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    devotfeigedevotfeige Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wang's Chinese Food store is half-familiar, though I cannot identify exactly where from.

I was just going through the archives last night and burst out laughing when I realized what the window said: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2003/01/13/

I had thought it was just a general reference, not that the restaurant itself had cropped up in the comics before.

Adding to your list;
    A hobo (or two) informed me that they had double majored in philosophy and drama.

devotfeige on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SoupsSoups Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    devotfeige wrote: »
    Wang's Chinese Food store is half-familiar, though I cannot identify exactly where from.

I was just going through the archives last night and burst out laughing when I realized what the window said: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2003/01/13/

I had thought it was just a general reference, not that the restaurant itself had cropped up in the comics before.

Adding to your list;
    A hobo (or two) informed me that they had double majored in philosophy and drama.

Thanks for the links! I was wondering where those references came from. They seemed familiar.

Soups on
    DitchTheJock.png
  • Options
    manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    In Hobo Alley there are several newspapers which make refrence to an eggplant shaped like Abraham Lincoln

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    manaleak34 wrote: »
    In Hobo Alley there are several newspapers which make refrence to an eggplant shaped like Abraham Lincoln

Oh wow, I forgot about that.

Willeth on
  • Options
    dark_porpoisedark_porpoise Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If you read all of the newspaper headlines; Eggplant Lincoln goes to Washington, Eggplant Lincoln runs for president (I think), and Eggplant Lincoln elected President.

dark_porpoise on
  • Options
    dark_porpoisedark_porpoise Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    One of the hobos said that "I like them shoes, give 'em to me." Which is a reference to GM Gabriel.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/01/10/

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/07/22/

I loved it when the clowns asked for frozen treats, that is one of my favorites. That, double-majoring in philosophy and drama, and the Kansas-City Hotsteppers had me laughing.

dark_porpoise on
  • Options
    ScuzzywuffitScuzzywuffit Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    When talking about the Shithole, I think someone uses the line, "Poop...like...from a butt?"

Scuzzywuffit on
  • Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think one of the monkey sounds (Some sort of laughter or so) is an exact one from a Monkey Island game. I giggle each time I hear it.

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Oh - Gabir Motors is located on Desperation St.

Willeth on