As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Guy goes to Wal Mart to get socks, walks out with PS3 MGS4 bundle.

CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Games and Technology
The unboxing event.

And he already has the Gunmetal edition pre ordered too.

Another guy at GAF managed to buy a copy as well:
MGS4.jpg

They're out there arriving in the back rooms of Wal mart:
bcb8c96ebb36.jpg
67c10581d73b.jpg

Go looking and who knows you may get lucky a few days early.

Cade on

• Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    No kiddin'? Huh. Nifty.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • LamoidLamoid Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What kind of socks were they? He may have just been screwed value wise.

Lamoid on
    Laymoid.gif
  • vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    That's Wal-Mart for you. You go in to get one item and end up buying a bunch of other stuff just because it is there. And most likely on sale.

That's kinda cool though, I've been thinking about getting a PS3, MGS4 might just push me over the edge into buying it. Plus, PS2 BC. (I miss my SotC.)

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What they don't say is how he goes back right after unpacking it because he forgot to buy the socks.

Cause thats the way it always works at Wal-Mart.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What they don't say is how he goes back right after unpacking it because he forgot to buy the socks.

Cause thats the way it always works at Wal-Mart.

But you can go get socks at 2am! Where else can you do that, huh?

Also, I hope other stores don't do this... I'm planning on getting "in line" for midnight on Wednesday night.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Walmarts bad, mmk?

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • StasisStasis Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I almost want to try that, primarily since I know by the time I get to Walmart on release day they'll be sold out.

I wouldn't care if it wasn't for that $100 gift card with a Blu-ray player this week, I'd just wait for them to get more in stock. But nooo.

Stasis on
  • estrada42estrada42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You know whats even better? Buy a PS3 at Wal-Mart and get a $100 dollar gift card. Supposed to be valid with the 80gb MGS4 Bundle. I'm going to get mine on Thursday, and if you buy in store you get an in-store card. I've heard some have been able to bully Wal-Mart into letting them use the card on the PS3, but I don't know if that's real.

estrada42 on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wait, Metal Gear Solid 4 comes out this week?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • StasisStasis Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yes, Thursday.

Stasis on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wait.

Wait.

That's a black PS3 in a box that also has a copy of MGS4 in it.

Why the fuck did I watch that video?

I've seen Black PS3s taken out of boxes before.

The fuck.

What a waste.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I have my doubts. Sales of street-dated products are blocked in the system. If you try to sell a street-dated product, the register says, "SELL NOT ALLOWED PRESS <CLEAR>" We got two of them in tonight, btw.

The case they come in also has "DO NOT SELL BEFORE 6/12" on it on a big fucking green sticker. If he did indeed obtain it legitimately, the store he bought it from is staffed by people from a group home.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Not the first time it's happened, many games have had their street date broken including systems, there are always a few that get out there and for all the people here that be informed the random person employed may not know better.

In other words screw ups happen.

Cade on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    chasm wrote: »
    I have my doubts. Sales of street-dated products are blocked in the system. If you try to sell a street-dated product, the register says, "SELL NOT ALLOWED PRESS <CLEAR>" We got two of them in tonight, btw.

The case they come in also has "DO NOT SELL BEFORE 6/12" on it on a big fucking green sticker. If he did indeed obtain it legitimately, the store he bought it from is staffed by people from a group home.

It is Wal-Mart we're talking about, that scenario isn't as unlikely as it seems

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    When does the Blu-Ray $100 GC sale start, Monday?

EDIT: Oh Shit, Today!

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • EtericEteric Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hmmm....

I was thinking about getting a PS3 because of that sale, but they took out the BC for PS2/PS1 games.

Fuck. :|

God that $100 GC is hard to resist.

I might just get a 40gig model, I might it'll practically be $299...

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    The 80GB PS3 has the PS2/PS1 backwards compatibility.

Well, the PS2 compatibility is what we are talking about. All PS3s have PS1 compatibility.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
    edited June 2008
    apotheos wrote: »

Well, the PS2 compatibility is what we are talking about. All PS3s have PS1 compatibility.

Really?...

Did they ever say if it's possible for them to patch in PS2 backwards compatability?

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Good thing he didn't go in for the MGS4 bundle...

Tiemler on
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Eteric wrote: »

Really?...

Did they ever say if it's possible for them to patch in PS2 backwards compatability?
    It's definitely possible. The Xbox 360 has software based backwards compatibility. The PS3 could do the same.

Sony are just bastards :(

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    The 80GB IS software compatibility. Only the 20 and the 60 were hardware, and they are long gone. The 80's software BC is not quite as good as the hardware either.

And its just not installed on the 40. I don't know why. I've never heard a reason. I've never seen anyone ask, but mind you I didn't go looking for it. It just ... not there.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The 80GB IS software compatibility. Only the 20 and the 60 were hardware, and they are long gone. The 80's software BC is not quite as good as the hardware either.

And its just not installed on the 40. I don't know why. I've never heard a reason. I've never seen anyone ask, but mind you I didn't go looking for it. It just ... not there.

Nope. The only chip emulated in the 80GB PS3's is the Emotion Engine, they still have the Graphics Synthesizer in them. The 40GB's don't have the GS chip, so the backwards compatibility obviously won't work.

As for PS1 emulation, they've had it done for years. Halfway through last generation, they took most of the PS1 parts out of PS2's and started emulating PS1 games. They then ported this code to the PS3 and PSP.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    They didn't even bother taking out the ability to create virtual PS2 memory cards, but they did write in the manual that even if you create one, it won't play PS2 games.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
    edited June 2008

Nope. The only chip emulated in the 80GB PS3's is the Emotion Engine, they still have the Graphics Synthesizer in them. The 40GB's don't have the GS chip, so the backwards compatibility obviously won't work.

As for PS1 emulation, they've had it done for years. Halfway through last generation, they took most of the PS1 parts out of PS2's and started emulating PS1 games. They then ported this code to the PS3 and PSP.

Hey I learned something today!

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So is the 80 Gig a Limited Edition model? As in, once they run out, there won't be an 80 gig model anymore, hence, no more backwards compatibility?

Ugh, I hate multiple model situations.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
    edited June 2008
    victor_c26 wrote: »
    So is the 80 Gig a Limited Edition model? As in, once they run out, there won't be an 80 gig model anymore, hence, no more backwards compatibility?

Agreed. This is driving me crazy.

How hard is it to find a 20gig model these days?

The bad part is that damned GC. A part of me wants to wait until prices drop and I can find me a 20gig model used for cheap, but a part of me is screaming "THEY'RE PROBABLY NOT GONNA DROP THE PRICE ANYTIME SOON BETTER GRAB IT NOW LAWL."

God damn it.

Edit: Just checked Gamestop, 20gig model is $375 used. :(

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    victor_c26 wrote: »

it's not limited, it's replacing the motorstorm bundle as a continued sku for 80gb

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    I've never seen someone suck so hard at opening a damn box.

JustinSane07 on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008

They said it was possible but they weren't going to do it.. because it.. cut costs? Except they also said in the same breathe that it wouldn't cost any extra?

Mostly just "LOL, Sony".

FyreWulff on
    edited June 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »

They said it was possible but they weren't going to do it.. because it.. cut costs? Except they also said in the same breathe that it wouldn't cost any extra?

Mostly just "LOL, Sony".

I don't know what to think now. :|

Maybe I should just bite the bullet on the MGS deal...

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
    edited June 2008
    If I didn't already have a PS3, I'd be all over this.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    They removed BC from the 40 so that people would be more tempted to buy the 80. And so they can later charge you for a patch to put it on the 40. Simple as that.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There were two chips for full hardware BC in the PS3. One was removed for the 80GB model. Both were removed for the 40GB model hence no update could add it unless they went with full emulation. They removed the other chip from the 40GB model as a marketing scheme. They needed a cheaper system but they still had to give people a reason to buy the 80GB model. Anyways, a guy gets a game early. This is news because....?

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Rakai wrote: »
    Anyways, a guy gets a game early. This is news because....?

he uh... was buying... socks?
    Metal.. gear?!
    This is Snake..
    A Hind-D? Colonel, what's a Russian Gunship doing here?
    SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!!!
    Call me Dave..
    MetalGearSolid.jpg

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Didn't they cut the BC out of the 40 to encourage PS3 game sales? I remember an article with a Sony rep saying something to that effect...

lolSony, indeed.

Elaro on
    Children's rights are human rights.
    edited June 2008
    I know a Sony exec said something to that effect in an interview. Seems to have worked, really.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    As a random aside, I bought a 60GB PS3 for MGS4, because I wanted BC, and here in Europe Sony only makes 40GB models anymore with no BC at all. So yeah, at least Americans get any BC. You don't want to know how much I had to spend for a used 60GB model.
    550 euros. Mind you this is including 3 games, 1 extra controller (2 total) and a wireless keyboard, but still... a brand new 40GB is 400 euros.

But yeah, the software BC works just fine, no need to go and track down a 20 or 60GB first-run model. I've played a bunch of games (MGS2, 3, God of War 1 and 2, Shadow of the Colossus, Zone of the Enders 2) and they all worked fine.

Noray on
    edited June 2008
    You actually didn't do too badly on that deal.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I guess, I just didn't really like any of the games it came with. It had Motorstorm, Resistance and MoH Airborne. I'm not big on racing games, Resistance was a total disappointment, I like shooters, but that game is just so mediocre on every front, and MoH is... MoH. Been there, done that. I got Uncharted soon after though, and that game is fucking awesome.

Noray on
    edited June 2008
    Medal of Honor was actually pretty decent. I was pleasantly surprised by it. Resistance...ugh. I wanted to like it. It just didn't excite me in any way. Setting aside, it was fairly generic. Motorstorm just isn't all that great. Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank: Future are fucking fantastic, though.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png