As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Canadian Supertrip 2008

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2008
    You might want to consider the Cross-Country Supertrip, as we have a number of people running the east-west distance. The Canadian Supertrip is a mostly western Canada adventure. If you check our routes, you'll see there's already a route schedule coming through Mississauga.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• BeranabusBeranabus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    xD Wow idiocy at it's finest my mistake thanks for the tip Moe!

Beranabus on
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Regardless of which Supertrip you join, I welcome as many Canadian attendees as possible!

I'm looking to make an update by the end of this week, where I mainly want to get the map images done up nicely. I've got a Canadian Supertrip 2008 map on GoogleMaps if anyone wants to take a look.

b0wser on
  • delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    to all coming from abbotsford like sumi,

gas prices as sky rocketing as they are, im thinking of grabbing an extra canister in abby.
    theres a gas station on like 240th and fraser thats always 15cents cheaper.

better than paying out your ass for gas

delphinus on
  • tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    you're probably better off just giving yourself enough gas to make it across the border then filling up on the other side.

tr0tsky on
    edited May 2008
    hopefully my moon money will stay stronger than the american kwatloo

delphinus on
    edited May 2008
    delphinus wrote: »
    hopefully my moon money will stay stronger than the american kwatloo

it's basically at par...and they pay what...3.50 a gallon?

That's around...92c a liter? there's no way the CDN dollar is going to make up 40 cents difference. Whenever I drive down there I fill up on the other side :P

tr0tsky on
    edited May 2008
    *comment redacted for political correctness*

UPDATE: Both the Edmonton-Seattle and Vancouver-Seattle routes are plotted in GoogleMaps. You can find the links through the routing headers on the first page.

b0wser on
  • GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    wooooooooo pax

Looks like I won't be able to make it down with the supertrip this year. Just tried to change my reservation to arrive on the 28th (Thursday) instead of the 29th (Friday) and it sounds like the Sheraton is sold out. :(

GeeCee on
    edited May 2008
    it really shouldn't be tough to find a room for thursday night.

tr0tsky on
  • SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yah I live near Fraser Hwy and it's always cheaper than anywhere else I've seen. But I hear that once you cross the border, it actually gets less expensive. (still crazy but at least its LESS crazy)

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
    edited May 2008
    Because gas prices are going to be such a bastard by the time PAX gets here, both post-crossing regroup points are located at/next to gas stations.

GeeCee: I might be able to hold a space open in my room for you if you're interested. I've got five people (tentatively) in my room at the Crowne Plaza, but I'd think that a place to sleep is as good as any. I can update that later if I find out that one or two people drop out.

b0wser on
  • GeneralsGenerals Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm considering taking public transportation from Vancouver to Seattle, provided I can grab a passport before the event. Anyone know the public transportation routes and times in between towns? Any recommendations?

Or maybe I would walk 500 miles...

Generals on
    jsn: and there was some dude(note that: DUDE) dressed up as Mai from KOF
    Jeff: I see
    jsn: and I was like "I wonder how he goes to the washroom, does he just like...brush his loincloth to the side or what?"
    jsn: friend was like "DUDE he's BEHIND YOU"
    edited May 2008
    Generals wrote: »
    I'm considering taking public transportation from Vancouver to Seattle, provided I can grab a passport before the event. Anyone know the public transportation routes and times in between towns? Any recommendations?

First and foremost, I would suggest that you see if any Vancouver groups will have a free space in a vehicle available for you. As PAX gets closer, more groups should join, and some might have open space.

If that idea doesn't work out, I would recommend joining the Greyhound bus group led by tr0tsky, because it's the most hassle-free method to get from Vancouver to Seattle. It's leaving Vancouver on the morning of August 28, and the bus ride usually only takes around four or five hours depending on traffic. This costs around $50 for a round-trip ticket.

I'm putting the transit information (without schedules, I'll leave that effort to you if you choose to use transit) inside this spoiler box. The schedules are available on each individual transit site. I really don't recommend taking this option.
    All of the American transit groups are linked from the Washington State Department of Transport (WSDOT) page, located here. For the Canada-side bus schedules, you need to use the TransLink Trip Planner and get yourself to White Rock Centre.

I had to consider proper public transit as a backup plan in 2006. It's a long journey, and gets sort of difficult to plan because it crosses through a few different transit jurisdictions. I don't know how much this will cost, but it shouldn't be more than $15 or so each way, and more if you take the train from Bellingham to Seattle. It's also difficult because public transit isn't very accomodating for luggage, which can make the trip a large pain in the ass depending on what you take with you, and what you end up bringing back home. I don't think that it is possible to get directly to the Peace Arch Border Crossing with transit, the closest you can get is a long walk away. Translink has a bus that goes from White Rock Centre to King George Highway & 8th Avenue in White Rock, and then you'd actually have to walk the rest of the way. In all honesty, I don't know if the US Border would even let you through on foot. If you actually got through, the first public transit company you'll catch a bus with is the Whatcom Transit Authority, which has bus service to get you from Blaine to Bellingham on the 70X bus, and then the 80X bus from Bellingham to Mt. Vernon (Skagit Station). Burlington-Mt. Vernon is part of Skagit Transit. As an alternative, you could take an Amtrak train from Bellingham to Seattle.

You might be able to join us all at the Mt. Vernon GameStop waypoint if you do come in on the transit bus, and someone has an open seat. If that doesn't work, you need to get to take a 90X bus from Skagit Station in Mt. Vernon to Everett to the south. From Everett Station, you have one last trip to make, from Everett to Downtown Seattle. Use the Metro King County Transit Planner, with "Everett Station" as your point of origin, and "800 Convention Place" as your destination.

b0wser on
    edited May 2008
    Generals wrote: »
    I'm considering taking public transportation from Vancouver to Seattle, provided I can grab a passport before the event.

I've also verified the entry requirements through the Canadian Consulate General office in Seattle. I quote the following from this page:
    Land and Sea Travel

As of January 31, 2008, the WHTI requires Canadian citizens entering the United States by land or sea to present:

* a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver's licence AND a birth certificate or a citizenship card; or
    * a valid Canadian passport; or
    * a NEXUS card; or
    * a Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card; or
    * an enhanced driver's licence; or
    * a Certificate of Indian Status card; or
    * for youth 18 and under, a proof of citizenship only (such as a birth certificate).

As of June 1, 2009, Canadian citizens will be required to present one of the following documents when travelling to, through or from the United States by land or sea:

* a valid passport; or
    * a NEXUS card; or
    * a Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card; or
    * an enhanced driver’s licence (EDL) (in provinces and territories where U.S.-approved EDL programs are implemented).

We do not require a passport for land-based crossings until June 1 of 2009, but you are required to have valid government identification in the form of a BC Driver's License or BCID card plus your birth certificate. I do recommend having a passport, but if you have the above mentioned ID you *should* be fine to cross.

b0wser on
    edited May 2008
    was driving around today.

$143.9
    for gas
    you fucking kidding me?

that makes me ALMOST want to get on a bus with trots

no offense to him but i need to store my stuff in a car

delphinus on
    edited May 2008
    ...where on earth did you see gas at 143.9? That's insane. Although not really that insane compared to 137 or whatever the norm is I guess.

What stuff are you storing in a car that you couldn't just store in a hotel room? Or are you staying at the hostel or something?

tr0tsky on
    edited May 2008
    I was on one of the gulf islands last weekend and gas was 1.50 for REGULAR!

... maybe a glimpse of things to come.

Sumi on
    edited May 2008
    Jay could you please change the unconfirmed riders and available space in our vehicle to 0 and also add Dallas to Healthpack's Vehicle? And since he doesn't know whether he will have his class 5 by august, can you please change the unconfirmed riders and space available to 0 as well? Thank you.

Sumi on
    edited May 2008
    Done and done.

b0wser on
    edited May 2008
    tr0tsky wrote: »
    ...where on earth did you see gas at 143.9? That's insane. Although not really that insane compared to 137 or whatever the norm is I guess.

What stuff are you storing in a car that you couldn't just store in a hotel room? Or are you staying at the hostel or something?

im staying with TomExMachina at the sheraton.
    im planning on getting to seattle a few days early and just crashing in my car for free for a night.
    and i might bring a small roll out. dunno, i guess i just want it around kinda like a comfort blanket for me...but in the form of a car.

i came back from abbotsford yesterday (clearbrook and ...y'know where columbia bible college is?) i pretty much filled up my tank and 2 gerry cans.
    i think i might do that for the super trip

delphinus on
  • smallducksmallduck Registered User new member
    edited June 2008
    Anyone going from (downtown) Vancouver on Saturday? I've got a friends wedding to go to Friday night (grrr) but definitely want to head down to PAX for Saturday. Willing to take bus I suppose, but to carpool would be nice. And I could chip in for someone's gas rather than pay the man (/the hound).

Must be willing to put up with old geezer and talk of Combat on 2600, best 1-screen platformer evar Dino Eggs, and after-hours Marathon on office LANs.

I might also be looking for accommodation, if my friend who lives in Seattle isn't keen on me inviting myself over.

smallduck on
  • TrichotomyTrichotomy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hello again. I will hopefully be traveling out from Penticton, but I will, in all likelihood, not have a vehicle after i get a ride to Merrit. I was wondering if there might be a spare seat available in someone's caravan that I could beg and plead for. Thank you very much.

Trichotomy on
    This is my signature. It is funny.
  • DaedaleusDaedaleus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Group Leader: that would be me
    Starting Waypoint: Merrit, BC
    Vehicle: 1995 Chevrolet Suburban LT (black)
    Riders: 2
    Unconfirmed Riders: 0
    Space Available: 3 (well 5, but that makes thing not so comfy >_< )

Daedaleus on
    edited June 2008
    Welcome to the trip, Daedaleus! I've added your group information to the main post.

Trichotomy: I suggest you contact Daedaleus about co-ordinating a ride with that group, which has three available spaces.

b0wser on
    edited June 2008
    one person from the group lead by me will most likely be driving with deadlysherpa.. 5 people in a car can get aweful uncomfortable in august...

I don't know if you want to note that or what but.. yeah. That's how it's looking so far.

Sumi on
  • hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    B0wser: put me up there on the Victoria Clipper trip, except I'll be leaving on the Friday at an unspecified time -probably morning. Thankya

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
  • tenchikazetenchikaze Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've been planning on taking the Greyhound from Calgary to Seattle with a transfer in Vancouver. If tr0tsky's group ends up taking the 10:50 AM bus in Vancouver, I'd be able to meet up with them, and if they take the 8:15 AM bus, I wouldn't be able to. The way my route connections work out, I would either have to use the 5:50 AM or the 10:50 AM. I'll message him and see what the plan is.

tenchikaze on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited June 2008
    what is all this bus talk? I thought this was the Canadian Supertrip thread

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited June 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    what is all this bus talk? I thought this was the Canadian Supertrip thread

well, I'm driving a bus down there as my vehicle...except by driving I mean paying someone's company to drive me down...in a bus with people I don't know...

>.>

tr0tsky on
  • SpinelSpinel Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So We're thinking of joining up with the super trip, So I'll post up our info

Group Leader: that would be me
    Starting Calgary, AB
    Vehicle: 2000 Mazda Protege or something Newer if I manage to sell my vehilce
    Riders: 3
    Unconfirmed Riders: 1
    Space Available: 0

Spinel on
    steam_sig.png
  • tenchikazetenchikaze Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Because the bus info is there in the first post of the thread, so I assumed this was the place to post about it.

tenchikaze on
  • DaedaleusDaedaleus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I now have 1 more confirmed rider and 1 unconfirmed. just though i would give an update.

Daedaleus on
  • TherosTheros Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    okay, unlike last year where I wound up with finals on the thursday and had to leave for PAX immediately afterwards this year I will totally, absolutely, no-way-in-the-nine-hells be working on thursday.

Statz, lulz.

1996 Ford Explorer
    Seats 4 excluding driver
    I will speak with De4dmeta1 tomorrow - I assume that we will both be travelling in said vehicle, so that'll leave space for three.
    We're in Richmond, BC.
    Any changes will of course be posted.
    Contact through PM, plz! :D

Theros on
  • TorrenTorren Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Group Leader: Torren
    Starting Waypoint: mission
    Vehicle: 2004 VW Golf or a 2000 jeep cheroke
    Riders: 4 wildcard and 2 other non forum members
    Unconfirmed Riders: 0
    Space Available: 0

partook in the super trip last year and had a blast so we're doing it again

Torren on
    edited July 2008
    A thought concerning cell phones:

Unfortunately, those with Telus or Bell phones can't take advantage of this, but those of us who are Rogers customers will have the option of unlocking phones and using US prepaid SIM cards while in the US. However, staying on Roger's network in the US will be both expensive and it may not work without adding a Wireless Roaming plan to an account.

The Rogers rate plans can be found here. It doesn't matter which carrier the phone roams on to; the rates are the same, and fairly expensive.

Voice calls back to Canada are $1.70, any Incoming calls are $1.20, Calls to local US numbers are $,95, and SMS is $.60 per message.

Some networks offer data, though Rogers doesn't have any EDGE roaming. Furthermore, they'll charge for 5 KB even for 1 KB of data at 5c, so it'd be best to disable data entirely.

Now! With all that in mind, I'm trying to figure out if there are any stores at waypoints, such as T-Mobile retail locations, where one can buy a prepaid SIM card to avoid the roaming fees for the weekend. T-Mobile only charges $10 for a Prepaid SIM, and it'd be loads cheaper than roaming....

Barring that, there's still the omnipresent ebay!

Theros on
  • smessmes Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Is that really necessary? I only made two calls at last years PAX, and one was to find pimpimp and his crew on the Anacortes ferry.

smes on
    edited July 2008
    It really depends on how much you'd use your phone, if anything. Short calls ought to be fine, really; if you're on the phone all the time trying to find/coordinate/talk at people you'd probably want to consider it.

EDIT: I just thought I'd mention it because I got dinged huge last year for just a few calls because the roaming carrier charged me for every minute my phone was even _on._

Theros on
  • Retardical_SamRetardical_Sam Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My girlfriend & I are gonna be on the 11:30 Clipper from Victoria to Seattle on the 28th, and it doesn't look like anyone else is gonna be on that sailing but if anyone else is planning on it, we could maybe do a meet & greet.

Retardical_Sam on
  • SnoowySnoowy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hey so do pedestrians ride free on the Clipper? Victoria to Seattle?

My friend is trying to get from Victoria annnnnnnnnnd we are having conflicts on meeting up with the ferry...mainly the Anacortes ferry having dumb arrival times and the Clipper being $$$ BUT I read a post about the Clipper being HASSLE free for pedestrians.

Does hassle free mean...MONEY FREE?

Snoowy on
    Snoowii.png
This discussion has been closed.