As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Creator sites some links NSFW

DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
edited July 2009 in Graphic Violence
Are any of you guys nerdy enough to follow creators on their websites, blogs and journals and whatnot? I am!

I have a few bookmarked:
Warren EllisNSFW
James Stokoe NSFW
Bryan Lee O'Malley
Brandon Graham NSFW
Corey Lewis
Eric Powell
Sean "Cheeks" Galloway
Matt Fraction

Grant Morrison's page has not been updated in several years, but there is some neat stuff there.
Do you guys have any more?

DouglasDanger on

• Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You might want to nsfw Ellis' site, since he regularly posts batcock there when people mention that his site's NSFW.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You can pretty much type in any creator's name and a blog or site will come up for them. Here's a couple more for you, though.

Rafael Albuquerque - Blue Beetle Artist - Posts a lot of sketches, cover art, etc
    Tony Daniel - Batman Artist - Posts a lot of sketches, cover art, etc
    Neil Gaiman
    Brian Bendis - His Jinxworld forums that he posts on
    Peter David - writer of stuff

KVW on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Now I'm in love with James Stokoe. <3 so thanks for this thread.
    Put some excerpts in the OP (maybe spoil the NSFW ones) so people can see who does what.

valiance on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    philip bond is one of my absolute favorites, even though he doesn't have a ton of work out. some of that site is nsfw.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    FeathersMcGrawFeathersMcGraw Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Todd Dezago - co-creator of Tellos and The Perhapanauts
    Colleen Doran - creator of A Distant Soil, has done artwork for lots of different series
    Jeff Parker - writer for Agents of A.T.L.A.S., X-Men: First Class, The Interman, etc.
    Paul Pope - not frequently updated, but it's usually interesting when it is

FeathersMcGraw on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ryan Ottley routinely posts stuff from Invincible, as well as things from his weekly sketch night.

Eric Canete (Iron Man: Enter the Mandarin) updates infrequently, but it's always good stuff.

Skottie Young (New Warriors, New Mutants) usually has some cool stuff up.

Cory Walker stopped updating his blog, but before that he did a sketch every day for a year, so there's a huge backlog of cool little sketches.

Cliff Rathburn (Brit) rarely updates, but I love his art so it's worth the wait.

Robert Kirkman primarily uses his blog to pimp his stuff, but he occasionally has something funny to say.

Benito Cereno (Tales From the Bully Pulpit, Hector Plasm) updates often, and is pretty funny and insightful.

Munch on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Jon Rogers of Blue Beetle fame, though recently it's been overtaken by a work blog on the TV show he's working on right now.

Lux on
  • Options
    elgatoelgato Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I like jonboy meyers.

www.scribble.ws

elgato on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Kieron Gillen: (Phonogram, Newuniversal: 1959)
    http://www.kierongillen.com/

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    And for that matter, Jamie McKelvie (art on Phonogram, writer and artist on Suburban Glamour):
    http://www.jamiemckelvie.com/

Wildcat on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ellis' terrified me today.
    The Insulted Lover

I grabbed a handful of my own semen out of Mother Teresa and flung it at the oncoming cops. They all got instantly pregnant and fell over. Even the men.

“I’ve had better,” said Mother Teresa, sparking a match off her nipple and lighting up a joint.

It was then I knew I had to kill everyone in the city. With my penis.

I flexed my flaming meathammer. The road cracked in half. The cops exploded. So did the buildings. Everybody died.

Except me.

Result.

The end. Fuck off.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The Insulted Lover

I grabbed a handful of my own semen out of Mother Teresa and flung it at the oncoming cops. They all got instantly pregnant and fell over. Even the men.

“I’ve had better,” said Mother Teresa, sparking a match off her nipple and lighting up a joint.

I flexed my flaming meathammer. The road cracked in half. The cops exploded. So did the buildings. Everybody died.

Except me.

Result.

The end. Fuck off.

WTF did I just read?

KVW on
  • Options
    EckoEcko Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    KVW wrote: »
    The Insulted Lover

Except me.

Result.

The end. Fuck off.

WTF did I just read?

I...

...what?

Ecko on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited June 2008
    Ecko wrote: »
    KVW wrote: »
    The Insulted Lover

Except me.

Result.

The end. Fuck off.

WTF did I just read?

I...

...what?

Yeah, this one isn't much better. His explanation of why he wrote them puts them into context though.
    Jesus Christ’s liver tasted of gin and semen. I gobbed it out on to the floor and looked around the control room. Somewhere out back, the Pope was still screaming. If I hadn’t punched the teeth out of the pirahna before I poured them up him, he might be dead by now. The only thing muffling his fucking noise was the mouthful of used condoms. The Virgin Mary came out of a side door with a shotgun. I bit off the end and spat it in her eye, laughing. “Virgin Mary my arse,” I said. “Any wife of mine coming home with that story would have been left out for the lepers before midnight. You like the taste of dadpaste and no mistake. I’ve chewed open your son and washed his raw meat down with a bottle of shit wine. What do you think to that?” As the Virgin Mary went down on her booted knees and skilfully guided my purple-headed battering ram past her prehensile tonsils, I looked at the control panel. There was a depression in it with a red button at the bottom with the sign DO NOT PRESS. At the last moment, I ripped my beef missile free of her vocal cords with both hands and shoved it down into the control console.
    The world exploded.
    And THEN I ejaculated.
    The end. Fuck off.

http://www.warrenellis.com/?p=6016

Grifter on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    if Ellis' next book was nothing more than a collection of short stories like that, I would buy it.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Am I the only one here who admires Ellis, but does not want to be left alone with him under any circumstances?

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    PadrePadre Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Here's the old blog of the late Mike Wieringo. I never read many of the books he worked on, but I like his style. It seems very cheerful.
    http://www.mikewieringo.com/

Padre on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Am I the only one here who admires Ellis, but does not want to be left alone with him under any circumstances?

It'd be like that episode of The Shield where Vic sticks two gang-bangers in a cargo container and only one makes it out.

BTW, a lot of these guys and others are on MySpace.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I was recently introduced to the artwork of Chris Samnee and was blown away by his use of shadow and negative space. I was almost immediately ready to buy his artwork after seeing this piece with Snake Eyes fighting Storm Shadow.

FeathersMcGraw on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Jim Mahfood

NSFW, titties and asses all up ins

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Fuck yeah Jim Mahfood

Kick Drum Comix owns

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    James Jean : www.processrecess.com NSFW

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Since there was some love for Jim Ottaviani over in the under the radar comics thread, I'm compelled to point out that he's got a blog now.

FeathersMcGraw on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Surprised it hasn't been put up, but here is Frank Cho's site.

Definitely NSFW, Cho seems to have perfected the art of drawing gorgeous busty woman, I don't know anyone that does it better.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    if Ellis' next book was nothing more than a collection of short stories like that, I would buy it.

Someone else already wrote that book.

These dudes are becoming more and more Burroughs-influenced, and I am terrified. Moore took some technique, and that was cool. Grant Morrison pushed it a little further, and that was cool.

Now it feels like Ellis and Millar like to occassionally take the hedonism of it, along with all else.

But, uhh, yeah, now I'll contribute to make up for that off-topic post.

Some of these guys have amazon blogs, but I couldn't find a way to search through them all.

Neil Gaiman
    J.M. DeMatteis

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    http://reyyy.livejournal.com/67343.html

i like corey lewis a lot

but this post

this post

man

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I dunno, I kind of get his point. He seems to feel that, if a comic entertains you, then it's done its job. Personally, I prefer to be entertained and be able to dissect a book for some deeper meaning or subtext, but there's nothing wrong with just making something entertaining. Which, it should be said, isn't exactly easy. There's a reason movies like Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, and Predator are looked back on affectionately, and a whole slew of other terrible action and sci-fi movies aren't.

It kind of reminds me of debates concerning the validity of Dane Cook's stand-up routines. A lot of purists feel that he's a shitty comedian, lacking in any real substance or insight. But the dude draws huge crowds and makes people laugh, so hasn't he accomplished what he's set out to do?

Munch on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    he's saying that comics are medium where anything is possible and then saying only a certain kind of comic is valid

hmm

also he took that post down, so uh

who knows what happened there

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I may not have read his post close enough, but that's not what I got from it. To me, he seemed to be expressing frustration with people slamming simple, but enjoyable comics for not being as cerebral or thought-provoking as others.

I enjoy a good hamburger every now and then. Nothing fancy, just a greasy slab of ground beef and a full compliment of condiments. If some dude came up to me and informed me that what I was eating as simple, trite, and without class or substance, I'd tell them to fuck off because dammit, a good burger's a good burger. I enjoy filet mignon as much as the next dude, but there's nothing wrong with enjoying something a bit less refined.

That's just what I got from it though.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    You can read a ton of Hysteria! at Mike Hawthorne's site. He has a blog too.

I really enjoy his work. I need to get Hysteria some time soon.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I just found Garen Ewing via... hm. Whitechapel, I think.

DouglasDanger on