As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game ON] Team Fortress 2: Dear Door, have fun in the army, love PA

• Demitri OmniDemitri Omni Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Tharghor wrote: »
    I want to play egypt with a full server. We need a HONC day like every Monday should be HONC Day and you have to play on HONC. I'm very tired of having to play Hydro, 2fort, badlands, and Well. I want to play egypt, Broma, desert fortress, and steel.

We should have 2 HONC days, monday and friday maybe. It sucks that I can only play on weekends. Yeah I've spent way too much time on the standard maps now, I might even become tired of gravelpit. Who can set up some HONC events every monday/friday? The time should probably be when we have at least 10 people already playing.

I keep a few good customs on my server, along with the stock. I don't see why people can't compromise for both.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited June 2008
    (mistake edited)

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    theantipop wrote: »

That's just a rephrasing of what was said in the Steam update news and not new info.

Peewi on
    edited June 2008
    Everyone get on MY server because I just uploaded the next build of my map, and I will switch the map to whatever you guys want after we're done.

EDIT: also, if a5 is still on there, that's not it. the new one is a7. Just give me a little time to make sure everything's working and as soon as I see some people on there I'll switch it and get on.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • theantipoptheantipop Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Peewi wrote: »

That's just a rephrasing of what was said in the Steam update news and not new info.

Oh my bad, I haven't started up Steam in a week or so. I'll also quote it here so people don't have to click a link for old info:
    Following some good snooping by a Team Fortress 2 fan, word of new, Pyro-based achievements for Team Fortress 2 slipped early and have since been confirmed by Valve. In addition to achievements, Valve has revealed that some "significant changes" to the Pyro class will be included in the upcoming update.

After paying close attention to the reception of the Medic release, Valve has worked hard to make some changes to the Pyro class for players across the board. Unlockable items will also help to mix things up: one such item, which can be unlocked by gaining the new Pyro achievements, is the "Axtinguisher." The new melee weapon guarantees a critical hit on any opponent who is on fire.

While there's no exact date on the update launch, Valve notes that the development team has "almost completely wrapped" it up. Now the only question left is which class is next for the update treatment.

theantipop on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Peewi wrote: »

Oh my bad, I haven't started up Steam in a week or so. I'll also quote it here so people don't have to click a link for old info:
    Following some good snooping by a Team Fortress 2 fan, word of new, Pyro-based achievements for Team Fortress 2 slipped early and have since been confirmed by Valve. In addition to achievements, Valve has revealed that some "significant changes" to the Pyro class will be included in the upcoming update.

After paying close attention to the reception of the Medic release, Valve has worked hard to make some changes to the Pyro class for players across the board. Unlockable items will also help to mix things up: one such item, which can be unlocked by gaining the new Pyro achievements, is the "Axtinguisher." The new melee weapon guarantees a critical hit on any opponent who is on fire.

While there's no exact date on the update launch, Valve notes that the development team has "almost completely wrapped" it up. Now the only question left is which class is next for the update treatment.

Or even better: A link to the original message from Steam.

Peewi on
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Pyro should be able to call in napalm strikes.

(also, give me a call when you read this Hey You)

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • tachyontachyon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Pyro should be able to call in napalm strikes.

(also, give me a call when you read this Hey You)

Airstrikes were fun as shit in megaTF.

Basically, I think they should make TF2 more like megaTF. As a scout I used to be able to jet jump up to the intel/flag entrance in 2Fort courtyard, fast enough to evade sentry fire. Ahh fun.

tachyon on
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Off-the-cuff idea for the new Pyro flammenwerfer:

Less direct damage from the flames, but if the flames contact a surface, they "stick" for several seconds. Enemies within this burning zone take some flame damage and catch on fire. Makes it difficult to get away, since if he's throwing the flames in front of you you're still getting burned. It would also allow the Pyro to block off parts of hallways (temporarily) just by strafing across and laying down a wall of flame, without stepping on the Demoman's control of that niche because you don't get as fine control over when that damage is done (unlike with stickies).

Personally, I suspect one of the "major changes" to the Pyro class "for everyone" will be allowing flames to transfer between allied players. As in, if an allied dude who's on fire runs past you, you catch fire too. It would go a long way toward supporting the Pyro's "create panic" and "disperse groups" niches. Medics will NOT want to get close to you if you're fire.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Kupi wrote: »
    Off-the-cuff idea for the new Pyro flammenwerfer:

Less direct damage from the flames, but if the flames contact a surface, they "stick" for several seconds. Enemies within this burning zone take some flame damage and catch on fire. Makes it difficult to get away, since if he's throwing the flames in front of you you're still getting burned. It would also allow the Pyro to block off parts of hallways (temporarily) just by strafing across and laying down a wall of flame.

Personally, I suspect one of the "major changes" to the Pyro class "for everyone" will be allowing flames to transfer between allied players. As in, if an allied dude who's on fire runs past you, you catch fire too. It would go a long way toward supporting the Pyro's "create panic" and "disperse groups" niches. Medics will NOT want to get close to you if you're fire.

This is what I think the unlockable flamethrower will let you do. Fire sticking everywhere would be a fucking headache.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I get the feeling Valve wants to avoid the griefing issues involved in friendly fire.

Newbies would also catch a lot of rage when they accidentally lit up a teammate, which would suck.

Squidget0 on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Squidget0 wrote: »
    I get the feeling Valve wants to avoid the griefing issues involved in friendly fire.

Newbies would also catch a lot of rage when they accidentally lit up a teammate, which would suck.

He means that if you light an enemy on fire, they can spread the fire to enemy teammates they touch.

EDIT: I fail at reading comprehension, I see what you mean now. Perhaps if the extra fire only burned for a few seconds rather than the full duration it would work?

BlueDestiny on
    edited June 2008
    blackmesa map testing in NOW on my server.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Kupi wrote: »
    snip

This is what I think the unlockable flamethrower will let you do. Fire sticking everywhere would be a fucking headache.

For the server or for the players? I'll grant from a technical standpoint it might be a bit excessive, but for the players I think it's fair so long as the fire doesn't last for more than a second or two. It means that if you get caught in an ambush you're going to have a harder time getting out of it (which is one of the Pyro's main problems, that a Soldier or other explosive-based dude can just turn around, start backpedaling, and fire the one or two shots he needs before he burns to death). It would also help Pyros with their survivability; if they get caught in the act, they can burn the ground as they retreat to discourage pursuit. Like I said, just throwing an idea out there.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Says CP_Gravelpit for me.

BlueDestiny on
    edited June 2008

I'm waiting on people to actually join because I'd like to test my map with more than 3 people.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Holy crap marty and iowa made one heck of an awesome run today on goldrush.

Also we just kindof destroyed the other team for quite a few rounds.

Sorry other team.

Icemopper on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I'm waiting on people to actually join because I'd like to test my map with more than 3 people.

Hey, I'll join. What's the server name?

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • SvidrigailovSvidrigailov Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    They're going to fix Pyros by making the flamethrower operate more like a real flamethrower: http://youtube.com/watch?v=dZXUYEdSNhY

Svidrigailov on
    Neither the whole of truth nor the whole of good is revealed to any single observer, although each observer gains a partial superiority of insight from the peculiar position in which he stands. It is enough to ask of each of us that he should be faithful to his own opportunities and make the most of his own blessings, without presuming to regulate the rest of the vast field.
    edited June 2008
    Dashui wrote: »

Look in my sig. All the server owners have the stuff in their sig. (as far as I know, anyway)

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited June 2008
    Dang, botp'd. But yes, Goldrush insanity just now was absolutely fantastic.

Icemopper on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Look in my sig. All the server owners have the stuff in their sig. (as far as I know, anyway)

Gotcha'. I added the four PA servers to my favorites list. I don't see anyone on your server, though.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    ...Man, I think the Corporation changes will help a lot. Especially the CP6 stuff. For those who remember the old version, remember the "drop down" grate? There's a set of stairs from the right-side of the cubicle room (so looking at it you'll have the old stairs on the left, the one-way door in the middle, and the new stairs on the right) that comes up right by that, so there's less of a bottle-neck. Plus, there's a door around both stairs that leads up to a path that takes you into the side-room to the right of the point (the one that doesn't have the one-way door in it).

It's up and running. Voting's back as well, but for now only admins and 10 minutes before the map time runs out can trigger it.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    edited June 2008

Gotcha'. I added the four PA servers to my favorites list. I don't see anyone on your server, though.

Most of my community members are still at college, so I've got to rely on PA people to join.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • KingMooKingMoo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Icemopper wrote: »
    So for the past few days we've done teams of all one class

Trendy.

I SO want in on this

Can I get an invite for the Steam group? My Steam ID is KingMoo

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    !!!!▓▓▓▓▓Gravy?▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!
    !!!!!!▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!!!!
    of doom
    edited June 2008
    KingMoo wrote: »

Trendy.

I SO want in on this

I tried sending one, but it says

"There was a problem sending this player an invite: Ok"

like ok was the problem...

I'm not sure what was going on.

Icemopper on
    edited June 2008
    KingMoo wrote: »

Trendy.

I SO want in on this

I tried sending one, but it says

"There was a problem sending this player an invite: Ok"

like ok was the problem...

I'm not sure what was going on.

I don't really understand Steam. my original nickname was "csortland" and I changed it it "KingMoo". Do you need my nickname or is there something else in there?

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    of doom
  • MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Posting your Steam ID URL is probably the easiest method for adding.

Monsty on
    edited June 2008
    Monsty wrote: »
    Posting your Steam ID URL is probably the easiest method for adding.

I don't know where you get a URL from cuz I see no explorer stuff in steam. Maybe "KingMoo_RamZ" will work

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    of doom
    edited June 2008
    KingMoo worked, but it just wouldnt let me add you to the group

EDIT: In the group history, it says I did actually send an invite. so who knows.

Icemopper on
  • iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    god I wish i had taken a demo of marty and I at the other team's spawn on goldrush. Marty ubered me and I wrenched a couple of people then build a sentry near the cart drop point and the whole thing lasted like a minute which involved me wrenching people in between trying to save my level 1 sentry, and an enemy engy somehow succesfully building a lvl 1 sentry 5 feet away from mine.

I was laughing so hard the entire time because every thing that we encountered in that period was so absurd, then I just died when I saw a lvl 1 sentry shooting at mine and returning the fire.

Marty I don't even know what really happened there maybe you should post your perspective.

iowa on
    edited June 2008
    WE REQUIRE ADDITIONAL PLAYERS FOR TESTING

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Meatshie1dMeatshie1d Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I haven't noticed until recently, but, there's someone with a relatively same name as me that plays in PA called Meatshield, instead of how I spell it with a 1 instead of an l. It's weird, because i always see screenshots with "Meatshield" and I go "That's me!...oh wait..."

Meatshie1d on
  • martymarty Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    iowa wrote: »
    god I wish i had taken a demo of marty and I at the other team's spawn on goldrush. Marty ubered me and I wrenched a couple of people then build a sentry near the cart drop point and the whole thing lasted like a minute which involved me wrenching people in between trying to save my level 1 sentry, and an enemy engy somehow succesfully building a lvl 1 sentry 5 feet away from mine.

I was laughing so hard the entire time because every thing that we encountered in that period was so absurd, then I just died when I saw a lvl 1 sentry shooting at mine and returning the fire.

Marty I don't even know what really happened there maybe you should post your perspective.

Ok. Here's how it goes. Second stage of goldrush, we've just capped the first point with the cart. I tell iowa to go up and left out the window, where we wrench a sniper and a soldier before telling him "Lets hit their spawn, get a sentry going"

Iowa builds a sentry right behind that rock (right side of the red spawn), but he soon attracts the attention of a spawning sniper and an engineer on the far left, whose getting his sentry going on the stairs. Iowa and him pistol duel whilst I try and take on the sniper. Iowa's sentry still isn't up, so the red engie by the far left comes over to try and wrench it down. Iowa wrenches his face in before the deed can be done. Meanwhile, I've critted the snipers face with the bonesaw, but not before the full force of red team spawns in.

The full force of the red team spawns in, as we hear a giant click noise, and I'm thinking me and iowa are done for. Miraclously, only a soldier and an engineer appear from the right and try to take us down. Iowa wrenches the soldier, whilst the red engineer tries to set up a level one then and there in front of us, and started furiously hitting his sentry to get it going. Having seen iowa take out the soldier, the red engy rushes iowa's sentry trying to wrench it down, but iowa gives chase and they start circling Iowa's sentry, the red engineer wrenching it as he goes, Iowa trying to reheal his sentry up. The red engineers sentry sets up, and starts shooting at the iowa's sentry.

Somehow, this nerd of a red engineer runs back to his sentry and ohmygodICantstoplaughing, he starts wrenching his own lvl1 sentry. So here I am, watching these two nerds have a sentry-off. Meanwhile, the rest of our team has caught on and caps the final point in time, but poor iowa is hit by a stray sentry bullet, but not before his sentry takes out the now-disabled red engineer and his sentry.

It was so fucking hectic, and all the while this is going on, Iowa's hitting random voice commands like "Dammitdangnabbit" and "I need some doggone help" and "charge me doc"

marty on
    tf2_sig.png
  • MindspreadMindspread Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I rage quit that game. Not because of anything anyone was doing, but because I was playing so badly.

Mindspread on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Where is everyone?

tofu on
  • King NadaKing Nada Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I built an sg the other day that could see and shoot at an enemy sg, but somehow the enemy sg didn't see mine. Sadly the other team killed mine before anything exciting could happen. :(

King Nada on
  • martymarty Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    tofu wrote: »
    Where is everyone?

too busy reading my story and telling everyone they know how awesome I am

marty on
    tf2_sig.png