As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On!] Nexus War 2.0 - Brand new PA faction!

• Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Voro wrote: »
    Wow, things have really changed. Pirates of R'lyeh were just some pitiful band of leftovers when my alt joined them, but now they're the highest level faction in the game?

I'm not sure how much I can commit to playing, but I have a L13 myrmidon or a L12 sorcerer that can join up. I think I might start a new character for the time being just to get used to the game again.

Edit: Uh, I just tried to delete and inactive character and now the server is looking...not good. I only broke it for myself and not everyone else, right? Nevermind, cookie's gone and all is right with the world.

Interestingly enough, my personal stance is that POR is STILL a pitiful band of leftovers. But that's just my personal view. They're big, but it's also a case of "200 members and no one knows anyone else except for the people at the top."

So, people wanna go neutral? We can do that too I suppose. Infusion's gonna be a pain but I think I might have a neutral infuser around here somewhere...

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Mercutio87 wrote: »
    A new faction? I've still got a character in KoA, could swap, especially since NCs don't care about your Good/Evil faction alignments.

http://www.nexuswar.com/characters/view.do?characterID=119256

That's A Herd of Kittens. Aren't they cute? They know how to heal, can help get your weapons fixed, make ammo, and fix doors.

They also enjoy scenic teleports through Purgatorio, and killing things.

Also have a slowly getting annoyed WM in Demons without Borders (he also wants to kill things), and a soon to be lvl 20 VW in The Salty Dogs (lvl 19 now) who has trouble hiding and swimming, so he's basically death farming at the moment.
    Actually, I'd rather not steal characters from KoA. Yeah, PA is not completely really affiliated with them any more, but... well, you know.

hoodie13 on
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    Mercutio87Mercutio87 So build that wall and build it strong cause We'll be there before too longRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I was thinking of donating to the game soon, which could would give me another character, so I could use that. Not quite as useful to a budding faction as a jack of all trades warrior character, but a bit less underhanded. Also, as much as I like the Salty Dogs, its a wee bit difficult to do anything with them, having no travel skill...I can't get to their Stronghold and their raids are usually on the other side of the map from me. So if you don't go all good faction on me, I could give you a void walker instead.

Mercutio87 on
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've made it to the safe house. Seeing as I've taken hand to hand, I guess I'll posture myself to become a sorcerer to help out with magical shenanigans. Is there anyone who can help all of the newbies to the game by recommending what skills to invest in if you want to become a certain class?

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    How does a neutral faction work? Human classes only? I guess I've never been in one.

Fats on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't really know either. It would seem like either human classes only, or an alliance of people paying whatever alignment they wanted.

edit: Wiki says its the first one.

Frem on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited June 2008
    The Unaligned classes (Myrmidon, Sorcerer and their exits) only, but remember that the unaligneds can join 'Good' or 'Evil' factions if they want and very very very few factions actually force people to be good or evil despite their 'policy' being Good or Evil.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    How is a faction assigned its alignment? By its founder's alignment? I don't really mind what alignment the faction itself is.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited June 2008
    Zetx wrote: »
    How is a faction assigned its alignment? By its founder's alignment? I don't really mind what alignment the faction itself is.

By whatever they choose it to be. Angels can only join 'Good' factions and Demons can only join 'Evil' factions. Otherwise, nothing else means anything.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    Mercutio87Mercutio87 So build that wall and build it strong cause We'll be there before too longRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've made it to the safe house. Seeing as I've taken hand to hand, I guess I'll posture myself to become a sorcerer to help out with magical shenanigans. Is there anyone who can help all of the newbies to the game by recommending what skills to invest in if you want to become a certain class?

Sure.
    When you make a new character, you get a choice of a starting skill. So I'll just start with all the starting skills and what each is good for:

Mortal skills:
    Dodge: +5% to defense vs Hand to hand and Melee attacks. Do not pick as a starting skill...this is more for when you need to get to a tier CP cap. You buy skills with CP, and in order to change your class at lvl 10 and 20, you need to be under a certain amount of stored CP, namely, 40 CP or less for lvl 10, 70 CP or less for lvl 20. The people who will most likely want this are those with a full HtH tree, as it builds on the already increased Melee dodge these characters get, and as most of these people are demons, everyone will be trying to kill them.

Engineering: Fairly useful starting skill. It lets you repair doors, and if you also have a toolkit with you, you can turn on or off a building's power. Also, if you have the right components and are in the right place, you can make ammo for firearms. Very useful skill to have if you want to badge grind for more CP at some point as well, as without this you can't get the doors repaired, power restored or power removed badges. A character that starts with this skill also gets a portable toolkit. Repairing doors, and switching on or off power affects morality as well. Repairing doors will always grant either 10 XP or 2 XP depending on the door, and restoring power will grant 5 XP, if you are of good or neutral morality. Removing power will grant 5 XP if you are evil. Good choice if you want a steady way to level up and are not a combat character, or wish to badge grind later for more CP.

First Aid: A reasonable choice for starting skill. It lets you see the number of hit points everyone has. It makes a first aid kit (or bone leach) heal 10 HP instead of 5 when you use it. And with sense magic, you can see if someone is under the effects of a debuff like Poison. Starting with this grants two first aid kits. Best for healers, support characters, those that just want to see how much HP a person has left while they're trying to kill them, and those that want to reach the nearly impossible healing badge. (50,000 HP healed and 100,000 HP healed) Can be a very effective way to level up if your faction or you has a steady supply of FAKs to use and a Sorcerer who is fond of using Sorcerer's Might.

Hand to Hand Combat: +20% to hit with hand to hand combat. Good starting skill for future demons or other classes with hand to hand based skills, or kung fu roleplay characters. Fairly useless for anyone else. HtH combat has a number of downsides and is not a popular skill tree unless you are a demon.

Hide: +20% to hide chances. When hidden, you don't show up to anyone, unless a search is done, a character has enhanced senses, you're attacked by a pet, or casts Reveal. While hidden, you also get a damage bonus to your attack, but a penalty to hit. Useless as a starting skill. Slightly less useless later on.

Lockpicking: Can pick locks, can make lockpick kits. Can pick a door without lockpicks. While lockpicks are hard to find, you can still pick locks while you have a lockpick kit. Not a good starting skill.

Melee Combat: +20% to hit with swords, other hand to hand weapons. Good starting skill, melee weapons are better than HtH fighting.

Planar Protection: stops you from taking damage while in other planes. Seeing how if you are an angel or demon, you get protected from your own plane's damage, this is not worth it to everyone. Not a good starting skill.

Ranged Combat: +25% to hit with ranged weapons. Good choice for combat characters. Good starting skill.

Repair item: Lets you fix damaged items, for XP. Lets you craft ammo. Good starting skill, but not as good as engineering for XP. Very good later skill if you have a weapon that can be damaged. Needed if you wish to be a crafting support character.

Search: +10% to search. Reasonable starting skill for those who wish to level up by doing things such as reading books, or who just want to find things in general.

Sense Magic: lets you see magic. IE: let's you read portals, see the names of potions, view debuffs (with First Aid), and see if items are magical, as well as shows a person's MP. Best for spell casting characters. Do not get as first skill.

Sense Mortality: See a person's Morality. Shows if person is evil, good, etc, as well as their exact MO score. Good choice if you are an angel or balanced Nexus Champion, bad choice for starting skill. With it's child skill, you can see which factions have infused which squares, right from your large map, making it a fairly useful way to scout.

Strength: +20 space in inventory, +2 damage to bows, +1 damage to thrown weapons, swimming takes 1 AP, and improves your ability with Structural Engineering. Bad starting skill, good for anyone who wants the above.

Swim: swim in water for 2 AP per square. Good for explorers, bad for everyone else and anyone with a travel skill.

Starting characters that are not going to badge grind or take some weird path should start with a combat skill or support skill that grants XP, such as engineering, first aid, or repair item.

See also: classes for newbies: http://wiki.nexuswar.com/index.php/Classes_For_Newbies

Check out the wiki a lot too, it has plenty of guides, as well as full info on all the skills and classes. So, figure out which tier 3 class you want, then look at all the skills he can get and which ones you will want....certain skills benefit from other skills, so you want to figure out your build that way. For example, almost all demons will get the full HtH tree, as many of their skills depend on it. You don't have to build your demon in this way, but it will make it pointless to buy any of the HtH based skills that demon could get, such as weaken or poison.

Mercutio87 on
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hey you guys can kick me from the group or whatever, I just have a big slew of shit to do and there is no way I could commit, sorry, hope can play some other time.

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    zimfan wrote: »
    Hey you guys can kick me from the group or whatever, I just have a big slew of shit to do and there is no way I could commit, sorry, hope can play some other time.

Log into your character, click on the link that says what your faction is at the top of the page, then hit the Leave Faction button on your faction's page.

Mercutio87 on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ugh kung fu characters take so long to level up but become so awesome when they do..

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited June 2008
    Ugh kung fu characters take so long to level up but become so awesome when they do..

Except for monster hunting. Or fighting DOs. Or T3 Paladins. Or anything with an aura really. ^^

Aroduc on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Aroduc wrote: »

Except for monster hunting. Or fighting DOs. Or T3 Paladins. Or anything with an aura really. ^^

Bah its so awesome just punching shit though!

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    *giggle*

Ah, being a Good killste...er... I mean being an Angel out smiting evil... yeah...

Walking around with my Lightspeaker I run into two Evil characters fighting, one of which (a level 13) was talking smack about killing the obviously inactive (level 10) other one. I step in, throw a punch and kill the wounded one, which gets a "Hey! My kill!" from the smacktalker. He starts attacking me with a Magical Scimitar until he notices the Judgemaster pop up and high tails it. While he got away, it still felt good.

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    2and2is52and2is5 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Punch Rockgroin is back, now to decide on pistols or swords....

2and2is5 on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I spent about 30 AP infusing our house, but it didn't seem to make a dent in the existing infusion.

Fats on
  • Options
    JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I made a character a while ago, still Level 1, Engineering:
    http://www.nexuswar.com/characters/view.do?characterID=30603

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Well, I dunno. You DEFINITELY wanna take Hand to Hand if you want to be a Divine Champion. They get giant buffs to their HtH damage with their cloaks, and the lesser accuracy can easily be side-stepped with all the buff spells you can cast.

My personal combat skill breakdown goes like this:

Going demon? Get Hand to Hand. (oh and if you go Void Walker you're gonna wanna take Throwing, maybe)

Eternal Soldier? Anything combat is good.
    Nexus Champion? Go Archery + Bowyer to do the most damage and get the most out of your class.
    Revenant? Well that depends. Do you wanna be a wolf or vampire revenant and bite people, or do you wanna be some sort of undead knight? Hand to Hand or Melee combat, respectively.
    Lich? Go Hand to Hand, and maybe take Ranged Combat if you want to sling a few spells.
    Wizard? Ranged Combat (and Spell Combat when you get to Sorc), and if you wanna hit people with your stick go Adv. Melee.
    Elementalist? I have no idea. Ranged+Spell Combat I guess, but you can take whatever tree you want I guess.

Seraph? Well, do you like shooting or stabbing things? Just don't got Hand To Hand, leave that for...
    Divine Champion? Hand to Hand, if you wanna punch things with the Steel forms. Melee if you wanna hit people with telephone poles AND WHO DOESN'T or if you wanna stab people with swords of fire and ice. Throwing if you also want to throw cars AND AGAIN WHO DOESNT BECAUSE SHIT DUDE THEY EXPLODE
    Advocate? Take throwing to take advantage of the Eyes of Judgement, otherwise Archery is pretty good.
    Lightspeaker? Ahahaha. No. You're not going to shoot people. I mean, I guess you could, sure. Take whatever you want.

hoodie13 on
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    quite obviously i have a bunch of angels. i have one demon. But unless you're gonna play "different", you're gonna take those trees if you go combat.

hoodie13 on
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm outside the fort now, need an invite (and the door's locked :( )

Haven't played for a day and haven't gained any AP, did I miss something?

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'm outside the fort now, need an invite (and the door's locked :( )

Haven't played for a day and haven't gained any AP, did I miss something?

You know, I think they restarted the server or something because I noticed the same thing earlier.

I'll get you an invite and open the door.

hoodie13 on
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Typhus733 on
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wow, I completely forgot about this game. My myrmidon would be honored to receive an invite.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    OK EVERYONE

I've invited everyone who's posted in the thread, so far. But there appears to be some weirdness with the log, so if you don't know if you've recieved an invite, go up to the top of the page and click "Factions". You should have an invite from me.

Still need to get this spot infused. We're goin. Slowly.

hoodie13 on
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    WembleyWembley Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So being the noob that I am, I think I've ended up teleporting myself to paradise using some random obelisk I touched in a church. Gotta wait for my mp to recharge so I can go back the other way through the portal. I take 3 damage just moving a square here. heh

Wembley on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    http://nexuswar.com/characters/view.do?characterID=127423

I have a Void Walker struggling to get Ether Stepping.

If we're going Neutral, though, I also have a Level 1 Healer.

http://nexuswar.com/characters/view.do?characterID=132943

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Stronghold created! We are no longer subject to the whims of passing douchebags. Sorry if anyone happened to get killed during all this.

hoodie13 on
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Alright, I think I'm getting the hang of things again. Here's Mimic, my Sorcerer that used to be in OS.

http://nexuswar.com/characters/view.do?characterID=8666

Assuming it's possible, I'll res after I get/accept the invite to make the trip a little easier.

Edit: Oh...the faction's open. *cough*

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Eh, I'm not sure that the new interface is such a vast improvement. It's nice to be able to see more than one block away, but the glossy icons look a bit out of place.

My main complaint is that opening your inventory to read books or use items obscures the message pane showing the results of reading the book or using said item.

Oh, that reminds me. I've got Magic Storm, Turtle Shell, and Way of the Porpoise if anyone wants them.

Frem on
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, the fact that during anything with your inventory blocks the rest of the screen is rather annoying. Makes reading books and reloading much more awkward, that's for sure.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    Tuba DanTuba Dan Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    In as Archibald Cox.

http://www.nexuswar.com/characters/view.do?characterID=133037

I played a while back but never really got into it. I'm intrigued, though.

Tuba Dan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ok, I made a dude. I'm going to be a dude that builds stuff.

TheLawinator (creative eh?)

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wembley wrote: »
    So being the noob that I am, I think I've ended up teleporting myself to paradise using some random obelisk I touched in a church. Gotta wait for my mp to recharge so I can go back the other way through the portal. I take 3 damage just moving a square here. heh

In regards to this, make sure to use the uber map which is in the OP. It marks locations of paradise, purg and hell (or whatever they're called :P) locations and sewers and so on.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Ok so you may or may not have noticed that the server is cocking up and has decided that messages were not worth keeping. So I'm not going to bother sending a mail.

Does anyone wanna take the reins of the faction?

hoodie13 on
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Somebody came into our stronghold and killed me. That guy is a dick.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    Ok so you may or may not have noticed that the server is cocking up and has decided that messages were not worth keeping. So I'm not going to bother sending a mail.

Does anyone wanna take the reins of the faction?
    I definitely am able to and want to help with organizing things, although I don't feel particularly qualified because
    1. I haven't played in forever and my new character is only level 4,
    2. I have no idea what the situation is like politically in the game,
    3. I'm still relearning all the fiddly bits about the game

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What's a good faction for a healer?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    A good choice used to be any sorcerer-heavy faction since they'll drain their own hp to gain mp. No idea if that's still the prefered thing to go for as a healer, and you might have a lot of competition in a faction like that.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.