As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Death Knights Hoo!: Druids don't need shields to tank, and neither do we!

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Not really.

*read with a grain of salt*

If you've checked the latest leaks, it looks like Shield Slam was made baseline for warriors. Seems like regardless of the spec you will be able to tank effectively (well more than right now anyway gogo Sunder Spam). It could very well mean that no matter what spec you grab you will be able to tank. Of course the min/max will still be there but if you can tank without having to spend 30 points + on the tank tree (as a hybryd class) that sounds great. You can PvP and tank without having to respecc every instance.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • TheEmergedTheEmerged Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    815165 wrote: »
    One will still be best for PVE DPS, one will still be best for PVE tanking, one will still be best for PVP.

It's just semantics really.

It may be more semantics than anything else, but I'm not sure the "just" word is justified. It may also mean that (as I'd hoped) they have learned from similar talents for druids (Furor, Naturalist) & shaman (Mental Quickness, Nature's Guidance) and are putting talents in the "off" trees that benefit the other side. It's inevitable that the trees will favor one aspect, but I hope this means there are going to be more of these crossover talents.

TheEmerged on
    Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't know how the hell Blizzard intends to balance raid boss encounters around classes that could have multiple possible specs.

For the tank position particularly, which tends to be one player out of 25, you can't afford to have that kind of leeway without creating undue effort on the part of the designers.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • artifexiteartifexite Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    TheEmerged wrote: »
    druids (Furor, Naturalist)

I don't know if I have misunderstood your post, but I feel like I might have. The 14 points a feral druid puts into the resto tree aren't really going to help that druid heal at all. They're not so much crossover talents, just feral talents stuck in the wrong tree. Especially since I don't really feel the need to take any of them, when I spec resto.

edit: So, really, if a DK is going to have "crossover" talents, I would prefer them to benefit the tree they are actually in first, and then also be good talents to pick for a secondary tree. No "extra mana in the melee tree" shit.

artifexite on
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    artifexite wrote: »
    I don't know if I have misunderstood your post, but I feel like I might have. The 14 points a feral druid puts into the resto tree aren't really going to help that druid heal at all. They're not so much crossover talents, just feral talents stuck in the wrong tree. Especially since I don't really feel the need to take any of them, when I spec resto.

edit: So, really, if a DK is going to have "crossover" talents, I would prefer them to benefit the tree they are actually in first, and then also be good talents to pick for a secondary tree. No "extra mana in the melee tree" shit.
    A resto speccing for PvP does take those talents, though, and that helps give PvP restos access to the higher stuff in the tree while still being able to grab feral charge. Bascially a resto PvPing is the only time a druid will "flow" between trees in such the way that "wrong" talents like Furor being in resto makes sense.

Opty on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2008
    From a min/max perspective, it'd be hard to not go Orc. Blood Fury is great, Hardiness/Axe are nice perks and all your summons will get more damage.

And Orcs are just badass in general.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    From a min/max perspective, it'd be hard to not go Orc. Blood Fury is great, Hardiness/Axe are nice perks and all your summons will get more damage.

Yes, very much so. It's grand for me too because Orcs are my favorite race by far. In fact, the only orc class I don't have in outland is rogue, and I really wish I did.

Dissociater on
  • IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    riz wrote: »
    TheEmerged wrote: »
    Laurluna wrote: »
    I really do laugh a little at Blizzard though. It's like they honestly expect people to NOT try to filter out whatever information they can to the masses.

You do realize that the "friends" in the Friends & Family Alpha are the marketting department, right :winky:

No they're not. Well maybe some are, but it literally means friends and family of Blizzard employees.

Or former Blizz employees; A guy in our guild used to work there ~8 months ago. He's a good boy though... He wont officially "reveal" if he has access to F&F, although if you mention liking/not liking leaked alpha talents he'll slip with little comments like, "I wouldn't worry about that anymore."

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    815165 wrote: »
    One will still be best for PVE DPS, one will still be best for PVE tanking, one will still be best for PVP.

It's just semantics really.

No, not really, considering the trees were not looking that way in all in reality and they've already changed a shitload talents wise in one patch.

The game is seemingly changing a lot, it's too early to make assumptions. They've changed a boatload of crap in one alpha patch.

Mgcw on
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    See, Orc DK is gonna be pretty cool, but Tauren DK will have it's advantages as well. It's hard to overstate the benefit of 5% extra health, and AoE stun is WONDERFULLY powerful in PvP.

Imperfect on
  • kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Command doesn't appear to benefit ghouls; they're like totems. They don't have a pet bar.

I hope they fix that pre-release.

kaleedity on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    I still want to be able to summon different styles of undead.

Like, abominations and banshees.

Nerdgasmic on
  • CharusCharus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    I don't know how the hell Blizzard intends to balance raid boss encounters around classes that could have multiple possible specs.

For the tank position particularly, which tends to be one player out of 25, you can't afford to have that kind of leeway without creating undue effort on the part of the designers.

What exactly do you mean? Don't they already do this now?

Unless there's a specific class-hosing ability, tanks are pretty interchangeable, and if there is a hoser ability, that's why you brought more than one class of tank to your 25 man raid, right?

Charus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yes and no...

There's still a few gimmick fights here and there (RoS comes to mind) but you could say that overall all tanks are interchangeable right now.

I figure that in 10 mans it will pretty much be that way with a gimmick that would be easier if you had a certain type of tank but not a minimun requirement.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • FryholeFryhole Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm not liking the new talent descriptions, whether it's the wording or the fact that they spelled out the dps, tank and pvp trees and are now going back on that. Also, the chromatic rune being renamed to death rune is just lame.

Fryhole on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yes and no...

There's still a few gimmick fights here and there (RoS comes to mind) but you could say that overall all tanks are interchangeable right now.

I figure that in 10 mans it will pretty much be that way with a gimmick that would be easier if you had a certain type of tank but not a minimun requirement.

Err, I find 10 mans to be where there are the least class/spec related gimmick fights, given that you only have space for 1 of each class as it is, and a wide number of hybrids are going to be unavailable to a raid group unless you can manage with only 1 or maybe 2 healers.

25 mans are the domain of class/spec reliant fights, and without thinking too hard about it, Dragonhawk boss is really the only 10 man fight I can think of that's really overly gimmicky, and that's just because it's one of the few 'omg adds!' fights in the 10 man instances, which is of course where prot paladins shine.

Which isn't to say that there aren't encounters (bosses, trash, otherwise) that don't benefit from having X class or Y spec, but aside from the 45 minute bear run, there isn't a 10 man that's tuned in that fashion like the 25 mans can/have been.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Imperfect wrote: »
    See, Orc DK is gonna be pretty cool, but Tauren DK will have it's advantages as well. It's hard to overstate the benefit of 5% extra health, and AoE stun is WONDERFULLY powerful in PvP.

Three words:

Gnome Death Knight.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2008
    kaleedity wrote: »

Command doesn't appear to benefit ghouls; they're like totems. They don't have a pet bar.

I hope they fix that pre-release.
    Still waiting on one for Treants.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    personally i will be rolling an undead death knight. using 2h swords I always prefer the look of Undead.

Sure, Tauren weapons are HUGE but undead weapons have a bigger weapon-to-wielder ratio, i think

Dhalphir on
  • FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If the ratio is all you're going for then Gnome is your only choice.

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Fodder wrote: »
    If the ratio is all you're going for then Gnome is your only choice.

I went on an SM run once with a bunch of friends, one of whom was a gnome tank. We wiped, but found it absolutely fucking hilarious that if a gnome is on the opposite side of a table then the healer, the gnome is out of LoS.

Tav on
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Back before BC, I had a female Gnome Warrior. I was main tanking Zul'gurub sometimes. It ruled.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wavechaser wrote: »
    Balefuego wrote: »
    TehChowd wrote: »
    What do zombiecows eat?

Graaaaaains...

A+ for you. The best I could come up with is naming my cow "anti-burger" or something. Also, mummy trolls would pretty much be the best thing ever.

Also, I heard in trade chat (groan) today that warriors in the WOLK will be able to duel wield two-handers. Does anyone know if that's actually something that's in alpha? Wouldn't the stat bonuses be insane for that?

There is supposedly a new talent in the fury tree in the WOLK alpha called "Titan's Grasp" which will allow warriors to equip 2h weapons like a 1hander at the cost of something like 20 or 30% swing speed

5 points brings the swing time penalty down to 20%. It's still alpha, so that could change drastically or be completely removed by the time WotLK comes around. /sigh

I distinctly remember a talent by that name with the same effect floating around in the BC alpha/beta period. Was it just rumor then or are they re-trying something they cut?

Arrath on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Arrath wrote: »
    What do zombiecows eat?

Graaaaaains...
    A+ for you. The best I could come up with is naming my cow "anti-burger" or something. Also, mummy trolls would pretty much be the best thing ever.

Also, I heard in trade chat (groan) today that warriors in the WOLK will be able to duel wield two-handers. Does anyone know if that's actually something that's in alpha? Wouldn't the stat bonuses be insane for that?

There is supposedly a new talent in the fury tree in the WOLK alpha called "Titan's Grasp" which will allow warriors to equip 2h weapons like a 1hander at the cost of something like 20 or 30% swing speed

5 points brings the swing time penalty down to 20%. It's still alpha, so that could change drastically or be completely removed by the time WotLK comes around. /sigh

I distinctly remember a talent by that name with the same effect floating around in the BC alpha/beta period. Was it just rumor then or are they re-trying something they cut?

They do that occasionally. Mages got Invisibility.

So expect to have to cast Titan's Grip and while it's active you can only attack your target. You can't move, can't pivot, can't eat, can't be healed...

The Muffin Man on
  • Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So I finely thought of a name for my DK, and managed to get it on my server. When Wrath comes out, i'll be rollin a Death Knight named Blightmare! I thought it was clever.

Paradox Control on
    \
    edited June 2008
    Arrath wrote: »
    What do zombiecows eat?

Graaaaaains...

They do that occasionally. Mages got Invisibility.

So expect to have to cast Titan's Grip and while it's active you can only attack your target. You can't move, can't pivot, can't eat, can't be healed...

Good point. Maybe priests will get sleep back!...only it'll sleep the caster and the target both.

Arrath on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    ... if I'm not mistaken, Discepline priests ARE getting a form of Sleep back.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Forar wrote: »

Divine Hymn (level 70, instant, 750 mana, 10m cooldown) - "You recite a holy hymn, granting your party protection from attackers. Any attacks done to you or your party will cause the attacker to be afflicted by sleep for 20 sec. Divine Hymn will last 10 sec."

Supposedly, I'm guessing it's at lvl 70 for testing.

Mgcw on
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I read that as Divine Hymen and had to do a double take.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So I finely thought of a name for my DK, and managed to get it on my server. When Wrath comes out, i'll be rollin a Death Knight named Blightmare! I thought it was clever.

Your character / guild name are glorious.

Tav on
  • DondumsDondums Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Divine Hymn is, at least currently, going to be a baseline ability for Priests, regardless of spec. Maybe. I'm actually not sure at all.

Dondums on
    internet
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I wish Blizzard's design perspective about Blood Elves having warriors was something they were keen on.

Because fuck gnome warriors, and fuck gnome death knights. The Lich King wouldn't res a gnome for a damn thing.

ITT I'm racist. <.<

Henroid on
  • Soviet WaffleSoviet Waffle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    khooooooo

Soviet Waffle on
    League of Legends: Studio
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm with Henroid. Fuck Gnomes.

Imperfect on
    edited June 2008
    :(
    Why do you hate me so?

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Because you're a gnome.

Rizzi on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Because you're a gnome.

Good man.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    edited June 2008
    But I make up for it with my NE Rogue right?!

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    No.

Rizzi on
    edited June 2008
    Mgcw wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »

Divine Hymn (level 70, instant, 750 mana, 10m cooldown) - "You recite a holy hymn, granting your party protection from attackers. Any attacks done to you or your party will cause the attacker to be afflicted by sleep for 20 sec. Divine Hymn will last 10 sec."

Supposedly, I'm guessing it's at lvl 70 for testing.

....well I'll be damned.

Arrath on