As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

eBay: Minor Dispute Etiquette

apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited June 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Let me get it out of the way that I try to avoid eBay. I find that I don't usually feel good after I shop there. This story is a good example of why.

I wanted Fatal Frame III for PS2 but could not find it anywhere. Seeing as it still sells for around new retail as used on eBay I decided to wait for a Canadian auction to come up and jump on it. You can see the auction here:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170223263622

I was really pleased to see very reasonable shipping on this auction, too. The game arrived promptly, and the only instructions included are in French.

I've emailed the seller as follows:
Good afternoon,

The instructions included in Fatal Frame III are only in french. Is this an accidental omission? If these are the only instructions available that certainly would warrant mentioning in the auction description.

Let me know,

I am awaiting their reply.

So, how should I be thinking about this? The product isn't exactly as advertised, but enough to complain about? I can get buy without instructions, but this doesn't feel like I should be leaving positive feedback as is. Should I be asking for a concession from the seller, say $10 of refund?

I've no idea what kind of response is commensurate with this sort of issue.

猿も木から落ちる
apotheos on

• Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think the seller should have included that detail, but it doesn't seem like he omitted it to be deceptive. If you want to keep it I would just let it go. If it bothers you enough to want to return it I would ask him if you can do that.

He might offer you something more than an apology, but I wouldn't press the issue if he doesn't.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    DeathwingDeathwing Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, how should I be thinking about this? The product isn't exactly as advertised, but enough to complain about?

Personally, I would not complain - it isn't worth the trouble. Everything you really need as far as the text from an instruction manual is sitting in the first FAQ on the list at GameFAQs, just print the appropriate section out if you need a reference sheet.
    but this doesn't feel like I should be leaving positive feedback as is.

I would probably leave neutral at worst, personally, but it's up to you. Chances are very good that he didn't intend to purposefully deceive you.
    Should I be asking for a concession from the seller, say $10 of refund?

I would let him know what happened, which it sounds like you have, but I wouldn't really expect anything but an apology....It's not worth pressing the issue. If I was in his place, I would apologize, offer to mail you the first few pages of an aforementioned FAQ on some nice-quality paper, and leave it at that. Despite what some game shops seem to think, a manual is really not worth $10 unless we're talking one of the Lunar collector's editions (hugs his) or something.

Deathwing on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    My only real thought is "if this auction was advertised accurately would I have gotten it for less?"

I can't find any data to inform that question though.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Also the french manual reeks like cigarette smoke.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well of course, it's *french*.

Seriously, though, it's worthwhile to bring it up and leave a neutral if the guy doesn't offer some sort of concession. I regularly put in my auctions that my stuff comes from a smoke free, kid-free home, meaning there's no odd smells or scribbles. I have receive games that have minimal description of the item and it ends up that the manual has crayon scribbles all over it. Usually that's not worth a negative, but yeah, you're free to handle it as you wish.

eBay retooled its feedback system for exactly this reason, IMO. Previously, buyers were afraid to be honest in their feedback because sellers would retaliate. Personally? I wouldn't even bother contacting the guy, and leave a neutral, saying something like "Game came w/ no problems, manual was in french (not described in auction) and reeked of cigarettes. Been airing it out for days." or something similar. Arguably you wouldn't buy from the guy again, so you should be honest about how the transaction for other people.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wait and see if the seller offers you any compensation. Personally, I wouldn't go begging for a refund if he doesn't offer one, especially not one for almost a quarter of the price of the auction. You can find the instructions in English online for free, after all.

Don't leave feedback without giving the seller a chance to respond, it's rude and unseemly. Especially when the seller is a newbie.

Oh, and whatever you do, don't tell the guy, "Give me a refund or I'll leave you negative/neutral feedback." Because that's considered feedback extortion and eBay can suspend you for it.

LadyM on
  • Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    all it said was that there was an instruction book, not what language it was in.

a simple email suggesting that he label what language the documents are in would be as far as I'd push it. As others said, the instruction book is available online, so it's not going to ruin the game for you to not have it. If the game came quickly and was in primo condition, personally I'd still leave a good feedback, but that's me

ihmmy on