As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Suggestion: Sub-Fora in Critical Failures

Jazzman84Jazzman84 Registered User regular
The TableTop gaming forum seems a little jumbled right now.

Could we have separate sub-fora for [MtG], [D&D], [Pokemon], [WoW], [Warhammer], [Warhammer 40K], [OOC], and [IC]?

I think it would help to make the forum easier to read, and it should be relatively easy to maintain since tabletop franchises start up far less frequently than electronic games.

Jazzman84 on

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited June 2008
    I don't think having six sub-forums at the top of the CF screen will make things "easier to read"

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    seriously it is like people see square brackets and their eyes glaze the fuck over

take a minute and check the labels

they're quite clear

Pony on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    That would be more sub-forums for CF than there are On-Topic forums you realize?

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'm just saying, if you play Warhammer, but not D&D, having the first two Warhammer threads separated by twelve D&D threads gets a little tedious.

Also, you shouldn't have to sift through several pages to find all the topics that are relevant to you.

Jazzman84 on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Honestly give things about two weeks. Right now things are so jumbled because 4th edition D&D just hit and we're in the initial furor over it. A little time and things will calm down.
    Jazzman84 wrote: »
    I'm just saying, if you play Warhammer, but not D&D, having the first two Warhammer threads separated by twelve D&D threads gets a little tedious.

Also, you shouldn't have to sift through several pages to find all the topics that are relevant to you.

Click your User Panel. See that bit about subscribed threads, use it.

What you want is already hard coded into the board, you just need to use it.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well, it seems we mortals can't delete posts in the Circus. My apologies.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    People used to be like "Phalla is more popular than anything else on CF it needs it's own forum"

No it doesn't.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    What about just breaking it down into Roleplaying Games, Card Games, and Miniatures?

Honestly, what prompted this is that I went to a MtG thread and it was 112 pages long. When I started reading it, I saw that there was a new topic every three posts or so.

I think that by having more focused sub-fora, we can get users to start new threads instead of posting off-topic.

Jazzman84 on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What about just breaking it down into Roleplaying Games, Card Games, and Miniatures?

Honestly, what prompted this is that I went to a MtG thread and it was 112 pages long. When I started reading it, I saw that there was a new topic every three posts or so.

I think that by having more focused sub-fora, we can get users to start new threads instead of posting off-topic.

Welp, D&D 4e really skirts the line between RPGs and Miniatures.

We've got like four or five threads for miniatures -- WHFB, WH40K, and we used to have a Warmachines thread but I'm not sure if it's still there.

We've got like, one MTG thread and no other card game stuff.

Maybe you could make a case for making a subforum for actual games vs game discussion, but even that would be unnecessary.

kill all phallas

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Welp, D&D 4e really skirts the line between RPGs and Miniatures.

We've got like four or five threads for miniatures -- WHFB, WH40K, and we used to have a Warmachines thread but I'm not sure if it's still there.

We've got like, one MTG thread and no other card game stuff.

Maybe you could make a case for making a subforum for actual games vs game discussion, but even that would be unnecessary.

[SIZE="-1"]kill all phallas[/SIZE]

Actually, we've got at least two MtG threads, and the one I poked my head into essentially starts a new thread every three posts. If the threads for other games are like it, then you could easily fill some sub-fora.

In terms of other CCGs, I saw LO5R and WoW threads there, plus the Pokemon sub-forum.

If we make just a few new sub-fora, we could have more, smaller threads and hopefully make it easier for people to find pre-existing discussions.

Jazzman84 on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    why don't you just encourage people to stop being terrified of the new topic button

you aren't required to post in the giant MTG catchall thread

Monoxide on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Monoxide wrote: »
    why don't you just encourage people to stop being terrified of the new topic button

you aren't required to post in the giant MTG catchall thread

The "Redundant thread" rule might be confusing to some people.

MKR on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This is terrible and I am surprised Tube hasn't publicly informed you of this fact yet.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Why shouldn't you, exactly?

Even if there wasn't an easy-to-use, working search function that could easily bring up all threads relevant to the keywords you mention in your original post and even if there wasn't a "subscribed threads" function available to you via your user panel, why exactly are you entitled to only see threads that cater to your desires?

While that may sound snarky, I'm genuinely curious.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Essentially, there's no reason to divide up CF into sub-forums. If you only want to follow certain threads there are already options available to do that. If you don't like the number of threads... well, tough, I guess. This is a forum, people will post stuff, and occasionally you'll have to read the thread titles to see what's what. The only one I can really see a use for might be for games in progress so that people playing by post have all their threads in one place not distributed out through the regular topics.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Right now, with the forum as busy as it has ever been (far busier than it has ever been, actually), it takes twelve hours for a thread to drop off page one, and over two days for it to drop off of page two. 4th Edition just came out, so odds are, it's going to drop off significantly from there. Not only do we not need eight subforums for it, we don't even need two.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    dscrilladscrilla Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The only sub forum I see any need for is maybe PbP games, as they are not "discussion" Even that doesn't seem really justified at this point.

dscrilla on
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Personally, I think that forum should do away with all [IC] and [OOC] threads, but that's just me. PBP games clog it up miserably, and really don't bring anything good to the community because they're for such a minute number of people each time. I think if people want to do PBP, they should do it on another forum.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    defrag wrote: »
    I think if people want to do PBP, they should do it on another forum.

:^:

gtrmp on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    12 hours to drop off page one. 2 days to drop off page two.

There isn't really too much of anything cluttering up Critical Failures.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    defrag wrote: »
    Personally, I think that forum should do away with all [IC] and [OOC] threads, but that's just me. PBP games clog it up miserably, and really don't bring anything good to the community because they're for such a minute number of people each time. I think if people want to do PBP, they should do it on another forum.

But we want to play with other Penny Arcade regulars, and lo, Penny Arcade is the best place to do that.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    12 hours to drop off page one. 2 days to drop off page two.

There isn't really too much of anything cluttering up Critical Failures.

I don't see what everyone's all in a fuss about.

My Call of Cthulhu thread gets posted in during 2 days a week, tuesday, and one random day someone decides to ask a question (because it's not a game thread, it's more like a game HQ thread).

After the week, I just look in the first half of page 2, and whaddya know? It's there.

Our topics are not going anywhere. I think your issue is less that there's things clogging other things up, and moreso that there's not enough going on there for you.

...I can empathise. :(

Rend on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Creating 500 sub forums in the least popular forum of all isn't going to make it more popular.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2008
    thanks eddie always good to have your input

Tube on
This discussion has been closed.