As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

BYOCers at PAX 2007: Tournament Question

David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
edited January 2007 in PAX Archive
How are ya'll liking Battlefield 2142? Would you like to see that as a tournament game? Or maybe you've got your sights set to Quake Wars? Or maybe you don't like the "large scale warfare" genre at all for tournaments due to the large team size they lend themselves to.

What are your thoughts? Any games you'd especially like to see in a tournament?

David Coffman on

• Options
    crash5scrash5s Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    bf 2142 is ass, given release dates wait for ET Quake Wars, or UT 2007

crash5s on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    UT2k7 is a shoe in. You know, as long as it gets RELEASED! *shakes fist*

David Coffman on
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Quake Wars will most likely be big there, as it will be fairly new and fairly kick ass. Hopefully TF2 will be out by then. That will sure bring the nostalgia flooding back. It's not new of course but I'm going to play in the CS tourney with another pick up team again. Unless this year I can fine enough people on the forums.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    DotA, Starcraft, bf2, whatever else strikes my fancy at the time. If I can run it I'll get quake or ut2k. Hopefully there's no charge for tf2 to play.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Okay im going to say it now.

DOTA WILL NOT BE A TOURNAMENT!
    It is IMPOSSIBLE at an event like this when each match takes 1-2hours to play. Even with -em.

Also valve has announced that TF2 will be included as a free mod with Halflife Episode 2.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    If some noble sir or ma'am would like enough to have a DOTA tournament for BYOC people that they would manage it themselves, they are more than welcome to do so and BigRed and I can make sure you get some (modest) reward to allocate as a prize based on the number of participants you recruit.

[edit: Clarification, this is for byoc people]

David Coffman on
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I personally LIKE BF2142. It was ass on releaseday and for a few weeks after, but now things have stablized, patch(es) have come out and it's just like any other battlefield game. I think it'd be nice to play.

-A

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    yoshamanoyoshamano The fuck is this. The fuck was that. Marshall, Soviet MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Could we have World of Warcraft back as a tourney this year? Although I love's me a good first person shooter, I suck too much to be anything but canon-fodder in a FPS tournament. Now, pulling 3rd place in the '06 tournament probably had something to do with it, but I had a lot of fun participating in it. Just my 2 cents anyways.

yoshamano on
    pa_forums_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    It's something that's definitely on the table. =)

David Coffman on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pick some random old school FPS that plays like Duke Nukem or Blood and have the players sign up without knowing what they will be playing until they see the game loaded on the screen. Try to make it something that wasn't that popular so there is a chance none of the players have a clue on what weapons and items they will be picking up.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    How about NOX?

I always had fun with that one.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    DiscoDave wrote:
    How are ya'll liking Battlefield 2142? Would you like to see that as a tournament game? Or maybe you've got your sights set to Quake Wars? Or maybe you don't like the "large scale warfare" genre at all for tournaments due to the large team size they lend themselves to.

What are your thoughts? Any games you'd especially like to see in a tournament?

Im probably in the minority here when i say...

ZAP-- from garage games.

I dunno. I guess i am a softie for this stuff.

http://www.garagegames.com/products/39/

Probably not going to happen. *shrug* can't fault a guy for askin' though.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    TNT: That's a pretty cool idea!

Nox and Zap...hrmmmmmmm. I'm just trying to imagine how many participants we'd get. ;)

David Coffman on
  • Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I know it's RTS and not FPS, but how about Company of Heroes, and possibly Dawn of War? Both great games for the genre, match length can be determined by map size and map settings.

Yoshua on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    company of heros would be a good one since that game rocks and is becoming popular. Dawn of war isnt all that popular though...

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Company of Heroes is a great game, and we'd all like to see it on the schedule. Seriously, you should hear some of the other tournament admins. They wear steel toed boots when they kick that dead horse. ;)

David Coffman on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Despite the problems of running it on XP Dungeon Keeper 2 needs to be mentioned.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.