As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EverQuest 2] Now Fully F2P, no more silly splitting of the population!

• pudge_epudge_e Registered User new member
    edited June 2008
    All right, I'm ingame as Wilale, the erudite necro. I'll be on later tonight.

pudge_e on
  • KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Back, and in-game + vent.

Hopefully we can get the guild formed tonight if enough people are around.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    i should be around a little later

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Apparently Play the Fae trials don't have to start with a Fae character anymore. Nice. Can't try Sarnaks, but still, it removes a fairly silly limitation.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Apparently Play the Fae trials don't have to start with a Fae character anymore. Nice.

You already could, after you made a Fae character anyways it would let you try any race after that.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    They just have to make it free for a bit, huh?

Grrrr...

Just made a dwarf Templar, name's Steinn.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited June 2008
    I'm on right now if anyone wants to group. Not sure what I'll be doing, probably questing in Thunderous Steppes. Name is Nerrin, 30 Froglok Fury.

Edit: Went to Stormhold instead. Dinged 31, got another AA point (need one more for Stormcaller). Ended up with a couple more quests than I started with!

Edit 2: Hmm, is anyone aware of a problem with the map fog? Specifically, all my "uncovered" map areas are covered again, which is really quite annoying. I'm running the auto-updating EQ2Map, and that stuff is still showing up fine.

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
    edited June 2008
    So are you people off playing Vanguard or something? I haven't seen anyone around when I've been playing recently.

Anyway, online now and in the PA vent.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
    edited June 2008
    I think I'm playing too late to find pick up groups for dungeons. My Fury is great for under-level soloing including heroics, but I'd really like to group up for some dungeon running. I'd even play healer!

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

• eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    KingMole wrote: »
    So are you people off playing Vanguard or something? I haven't seen anyone around when I've been playing recently.

Anyway, online now and in the PA vent.

Over the weekend I was playing more City of Heroes since my account is still active on it, and today I got my copy of Vanguard and started playing it. I've got 4 MMOs installed right now that are playable, but I may pop back in EQ2 once in a while once my CoH and AoC accounts expire in a few days. Granted I haven't actually played AoC in over a week, I'm starting to regret buying it, at least I didn't pay full price for it.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    edited June 2008
    The new crafting stuff (quests with great rewards, more items, faction points for crafting societies) is really nice. Time to level Sage some.

I got 1 full adventure level and AA level tonight just from turning in a bunch of collection quests I'd been saving. Level 32 and a new encounter-area nuke, whoo.

Oh, anyone know if World Event quests like Blight on the Horizon ever stop being offered? That one is repeatable, and offers an upgraded reward for each tier. The reward isn't a crucial item at all, probably mostly decorative, but I'd still want to get the highest level reward I could. But if the quest's always going to be around, then I'm not going to worry about it for a long time. If it's time-limited, I might try to get into the 40s or even 50s and repeat it.

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

edited June 2008
    They stop being offered once a new world event starts.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I just got my Mythical Epic last night. Oh snap, it's uber...

If anyone is on the unrest server and wants some SICK powerleveling, let me know.

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
    edited June 2008
    The few people who play here play on AB.

Also, does anyone know how to get the chat window back? It has disappeared on my bruiser, and I'm not sure what happened.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I've been playing a lot of Titan Quest, even alone, for some reason.
    EQ2 has really impressed me but it hasn't gripped me. Something about it just isn't tickling my fancy, which is surprising since I think it is a really good game.

Accualt on
  • sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    dnilb wrote: »
    The thing that keeps me from playing this is that it is just so damn time consuming. If you play it casually it's hard to really get stuff done. Leveling can take a long time especially if you don't know what your doing. AA can get overwhelming because if you don't have AA your character will be gimp. Another thing is just gearing up. Every tier (12,22,32,42,52,62) you have the option of getting mastercrafted gear, which is basically the best gear for your level. To get this gear you need certain rares you get from harvesting. I've spent countless hours just farming for these damned rares.

So, I'm wondering if this is an assessment everyone would agree with. I'm a very casual player - maybe 2 hours 3 or so nights a week average (plus a little more on weekends) - and would likely be playing with one other person. I'm interested because I hear a lot of good changes have been made, but not sure if it's for me just yet. And yes, I'm downloading the trial now :). I just have an urge for a game where I can go smite stuff for great justice for a while, then log off. How time-consuming is crafting/harvesting/etc.? Is there much grind? Do you have to do dungeons, is there a lot of variety, is duoing feasible (and fun!), etc. etc. etc.?

My main squeeze of an MMO is LOTRO, and before that it was Guild Wars, just to give an idea of the kind of player I am.

sidhaethe on
    edited June 2008
    I personally don't agree with that, as you collect AA points extremely fast now, and I don't think there is a big grind to leveling. Plus you don't HAVE to get mastercrafted gear, which he makes it sound like you do.

There is a huge abundance of quests, you don't have to do dungeons, there is a lot of variety (in my opinion anyway), duoing is very feasible, and essentially you can level from 1 to 80 solo. Crafting can be time consuming (about the same as LOTRO, now that I think about it), if you go out and harvest your own supplies (which I'd atleast recommend doing for crafting level 1-9, as I make money off of selling those tier 1 components for waaaay more than they are worth).

Also Acc, I hate you.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
    edited June 2008
    Also I haven't played much because someone hates me.

Accualt on
    edited June 2008
    Accualt wrote: »

I'm going to go cry myself to sleep in Norrath. Alone.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
    edited June 2008
    Accualt wrote: »

I'm going to go cry myself to sleep in Norrath. Alone.

If an out of town buddy wasn't on his way over right now I would jump on and cuddle you.

Gnome style.

Accualt on
    edited June 2008
    You guys missed the late-night KingMole and Harsh Show (tm) in Fallen Gate. There was leveling, loot, AAs, big pulls, and near-death experiences! (Also one actual death experience but we shrugged it off!)

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

• OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This game is going to own WoW's socks off in 2004.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • MooreningMoorening Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I tried the demo a while back and it was alright. Then this free thing came up and I decided to jump in again for a time. A couple questions.

What server is everyone on? It would be nice to play with somebody other than myself (as a swashbuckler that seems to be impossible, just like being a rogue in EQ1)

I know this is all preferece, but what is a good class to play? I'm really only used to the old EQ1 classes and there are a lot more, or at least a lot more variations of previous classes. In the previous EQ I started out with a necro (made it to level 40 before he pissed me off) and a rogue (loved him until the day I had to quit). Really I just love being DPS if I can get people to hang out with (DPS solo = quick and painful death).

Anyways, that's all I have for now. I hope I can run into some of you again here. I remember playing with some of you in CoX and having a blast, but that may have just been the game.

Moorening on
    It would appear there ain't no rest for the wicked...who knew?
    edited June 2008
    You guys missed the late-night KingMole and Harsh Show (tm) in Fallen Gate. There was leveling, loot, AAs, big pulls, and near-death experiences! (Also one actual death experience but we shrugged it off!)

Near-death experiences caused by taunts apparently AOEing! And by loot you mean one item for my bruiser, everything else being something that was +INT. I've still got a few quests to do in there Harsh if you want to go again tonight.

Moorening, we're on Antonia Bayle. The best solo classes are the summoner classes (necromancer/conjuror), followed by the druids (fury/warden). Every class can solo from 1 to 80, just certain classes are better at it than others. If you love being DPS, try a wizard. Wizards from EQ2 have become the image in my head of "glass cannon." Their main hope in a fight is that they'll kill it before it can hit them (in the late teens I was dropping mobs in two spell casts).
    OremLK wrote: »
    This game is going to own WoW's socks off in 2004.

I like it more than WoW now, and in 2004 I liked WoW more than EQ2.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
    edited June 2008
    Alright, I'll start a character on Antonius Bale. I'll give a wizard a try, but most likely glass cannons get me killed...a lot. I'll toy around with it and find my groove. Hopefully I will be able to run into at least a few PA'ers before my time with the game is up (read my wife and kids get home). Maybe it will be enough of a draw that I can get the wife to join in again. She hasn't played an MMO since EQ1, wants play again, but hasn't seen any that catch her interest.

Moorening on
  • rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Moorening wrote: »
    Alright, I'll start a character on Antonius Bale. I'll give a wizard a try, but most likely glass cannons get me killed...a lot. I'll toy around with it and find my groove. Hopefully I will be able to run into at least a few PA'ers before my time with the game is up (read my wife and kids get home). Maybe it will be enough of a draw that I can get the wife to join in again. She hasn't played an MMO since EQ1, wants play again, but hasn't seen any that catch her interest.

Most non-pet mage (wizard, warlock, illusionist, and coercer) strategies involve a lot of rooting and running around. But yeah, if mobs catch up to you, you're relatively squishy.

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You meant Antonia Bayle right? Making sure since Antonius Bayle is a server on the original EQ.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    edited June 2008
    Yes, that's what I meant. Been a long time and I only played EQ1 in depth. That's probably why that name came out.

edit: As far as being relatively squishy, I know all about that. I remember my rogue in EQ1 was great at dealing damage and avoiding aggro, but if he pulled aggro, squishy was an appropriate word.

Moorening on
    edited June 2008
    What's your characters name, and where did you start?

For now, Moorening, I'm really the only person who is consistently on during the day. Usually (like now) I'm on the GnT vent server when I'm playing.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
    edited June 2008
    Well I made an Ogre Berserker named Granok, think I'll be playing him mostly.

Arthil on
    edited June 2008
    I wondered why Andran hadn't been logged in for awhile.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    yeah, sorry, i've been terrible about playing this..i've got too many things going on

i'll TRY to get on tonight for awhile, we'll see how that works out..ha

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
    edited June 2008
    I haven't started one on the same server. Right now I have three low level characters on Oasis. Most likely I will make a character, name him Moorening and run him around for a little bit. If I like the feel of the class in the first few levels I will play further. If not, he goes to the scrap heap, I make a new one and use the same name (I am such an imaginitive bastard I know, but it cuts down on confusion). I will probably be leaving work in a little bit and jumping on after a shower.

Moorening on
  • dnilbdnilb Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I personally don't agree with that, as you collect AA points extremely fast now, and I don't think there is a big grind to leveling. Plus you don't HAVE to get mastercrafted gear, which he makes it sound like you do.

There is a huge abundance of quests, you don't have to do dungeons, there is a lot of variety (in my opinion anyway), duoing is very feasible, and essentially you can level from 1 to 80 solo. Crafting can be time consuming (about the same as LOTRO, now that I think about it), if you go out and harvest your own supplies (which I'd atleast recommend doing for crafting level 1-9, as I make money off of selling those tier 1 components for waaaay more than they are worth).

Also Acc, I hate you.

when I wrote that it was before the awesome patch that makes it insanely easy to get AA. so ignore that.

if your going to be spending most of your time duoing then I say go for it. like he said EQ2 has tons and tons of quests for you to go through which all give you AA, even if you are way above the level for it, and since you are going to have a buddy with you it will make it even more fun.

about gear: the reason I made it sound like you HAVE to have mastercrafted gear is, well, because you do. the mastercrafted gear is pretty much the best gear you can get for your levels. gear form dungeons (unless this has changed) isnt as good, plus you just have to farm dungeons as much as you would rares. plus while your harvesting rares you are getting tons of extras you may not need, plus materials you could either sell or use yourself.

I've only played on a PVP server so maybe thats the reason I feel that way, plus I was a berserker so I needed/wanted GOOD tanking gear.

it's not like getting this gear is hard, it really isnt. when you start grouping to do dungeons with people who have good gear compared to people with not so good gear, you'll see why it's such a big deal.

don't forget about jewelry also, i've seen a few people make it to the 50's for the first time and still have level 10 jewelry cause they forget about it or don't know where to find any.
    How time-consuming is crafting/harvesting/etc.? Is there much grind? Do you have to do dungeons, is there a lot of variety, is duoing feasible (and fun!), etc. etc. etc.?

crafting and harvesting can be very time consuming, as you have 80 levels of crafting to get through, and it can start taking a lot of materials to get 1 level up, but it is definetly worth doing. you can make a lot of money and good gear for yourself.

I can't ever see why someone would grind in EQ2, you just don't need too.

you definetly do not HAVE to do dungeons, and I recommend not doing them just to get levels, unless you don't mind going back to all the low level areas and doing the quests to make up all the AA you missed.

duoing will very much work in this game and I think it would be a lot of fun. you have tons of things you could both do, it's just whatever you feel like doing.

one last thing: don't forget to level your skills! you can find tons of adept 1's on the broker, most of them are very cheap. it's a good idea to keep most of your skills atleast adept 1.

(again, on a PVP server this is a HUGE deal)

dnilb on
    dnilb.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, the quality of life difference with mastercrafted gear is very obvious, especially when playing a class not focused on DPS where every little bit counts to making levelling faster (like a Dirge). Though, at level 20 I recommend getting your class set instead, and then saving up for the mastercrafted stuff at 32 (because you sure as hell won't farm enough rares to just make it in the two levels you'll be in harvest range for them).

Glal on
    edited June 2008
    You can harvest in zones that are over-level for you, you just have to be careful. I remember being surprised at how easy it was to harvest in zones a tier above me. Harvesting can be good money, roots being a prime target, and it will definitely save you a great deal if you're any type of crafter. Especially if you're getting all the shiny ?s you can at the same time.

Speaking of crafting... repeating an offer I've made before: I can craft Mage and Priest Adept III spells up to level 35, and I'll do so for free if you bring your own rare. I'll also do Apprentice IVs, and those would be entirely free. Mail me in-game, on AB, character name is Nerrin.

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

• sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Okay, I just blazed through the trial as a human wizard and I had a lot of fun! I'm kind of disappointed that they don't let you leave the starter island, though I understand why; I just don't think I can get a feel for what the "actual" game is like at only level 7. But those 7 levels went by so fast - faster than WoW fast. I just rolled an Arasai necromancer and will give evil a try later.

....I just may have to get this. Is it really all that fast-paced?

sidhaethe on
    edited June 2008
    sidhaethe wrote: »
    Okay, I just blazed through the trial as a human wizard and I had a lot of fun! I'm kind of disappointed that they don't let you leave the starter island, though I understand why; I just don't think I can get a feel for what the "actual" game is like at only level 7. But those 7 levels went by so fast - faster than WoW fast. I just rolled an Arasai necromancer and will give evil a try later.

....I just may have to get this. Is it really all that fast-paced?

I've found leveling (up to 34) to be pretty fast. But I can't compare it to WoW. Also, if you'd like to try a little more, you should be able to do the Play the Fae trial portion with your Arasai and get up to level 20. Just don't choose Freeport or Qeynos as your starting city during char creation.

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

edited June 2008
    You can't get up to Level 20, you're restricted to Level 10.

Arthil on
    edited June 2008
    Arthil wrote: »
    You can't get up to Level 20, you're restricted to Level 10.

They raised the trial cap to 20 a few days ago. :P

Also it seems they've officially done away with the Trial of the Isle/Play the Fae trials distinction, not sure when that happened, but I'd guess characters that start on the Qeynos/Freeport Isles still can't leave the isle, so they're probably still effectively restricted to level 10 or thereabouts since the isles don't really offer XP past that.

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light