As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Questions? Answers!- The General Questions Thread

ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited November 2008 in Graphic Violence
If you want to know the difference between John Jones and J. Jonah Jameson, but aren't sure where to ask, post away my brother, for you are home.

newsigs.jpg
Servo on

• Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Was Captain Britain and MI:13 #1 printed in stupidly low numbers or something? It's nigh-on impossible to get a back issue in the UK at all, which is just wrong.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Was Captain Britain and MI:13 #1 printed in stupidly low numbers or something? It's nigh-on impossible to get a back issue in the UK at all, which is just wrong.

We couldn't have anticipated all this interest from British people!

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, I know, weird huh?

Actually, I suspect that some non-comics regulars are buying it, as it was featured on the news due to our Prime Minister being featured in the first issue.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The old thread died pretty much as soon as I posted my question, so here's the quote.
    Does anybody use Twitter on here? I just set up an account to give it a whirl. Seems like it would be a good spot to chat random comic shit whenever I'm bored or want to read what others are doing.

From Zeromus
    What is Twitter?

www.twitter.com

You can sign up and make short, 140 character long posts and people can read them. You can just say what you're doing, make random comment, post links to stuff, whatever you want. You can get plug-ins for Firefox or Facebook or whatever and just post and view messages through those programs or you can go straight to the Twitter site and do it there.

I'd been meaning to try it out for a while and figured it would be a decent way to just make random comments on comics that don't warrant a full post on a forum or post the occasional link to something comic related that, again, doesn't warrant a post.

From Nogs
    I do, it's in my sig.

I started following you. still getting used to this, though. Pretty neat so far.

KVW on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I dunno if this is really the type of question you had in mind, but here's one:

Does anyone else besides me hate crossover stories? I have 2 examples --

-The Lightning Saga JLA/JSA crossover. I collect JLA, but I do not collect JSA. Those characters just don't interest me, so I don't get the book even though Johns is a great writer. It really bothered me that I had to buy a couple random issues of JSA just to get the "whole story" for this arc. Now I have 2 random JSA issues mixed in to my collection that I don't really want, other than for story completeness. I'd have preferred if the story would've stayed contained to the JLA only, and just featured members of the JSA if they had to use them at all. A crossover was completely unnecessary.

-The Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul story. This arc was even worse than the lightning saga, cause it crossed over 4 different books. I collect Detective Comics and Batman, because I am a Batman fan. However, I don't collect Nightwing or Robin because I dont' care about Batman's little sidekick's solo careers. But again, to get the "whole story" I would've had to buy books from 2 different titles that I don't even buy. In this case, I didn't get them, so now I'm just missing chapters from the story. Ugh. I really hate crossovers.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    No, I don't hate crossovers if they are good. See the recent Messiah Complex series.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2008
    Man, the JSA issues of the Lightning Saga were about 10 times better than the JLA issues. Easily.

Also re: Captain Britain:

I'm pretty sure it sold out in the US as well, becuause of its status as a tie-in. I'm fairly certain they're reprinting it, in any case.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well you picked 2 bad crossovers as an example.

Although I'd hesitate to call Lightning Saga "bad", more like "mediocore" or "unremarkable".

But there have been plenty of good ones too.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Jack Kirby's Fourth World is a giant crossover. I am pretty sure it was the first crossover too, but I might be wrong.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I have the best Twitter.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm not a big fan of crossovers. I much prefer when the even has its own main series, and there are a bunch of tie-ins that I can ignore if I don't care about the characters
    See: SI and FC

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Sinesto Corps War was a crossover

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »

Yeah, I was fortunate that I already collected both GL and GL Corps. If I didn't collect GL Corps I would've hated it.

In general, I'm against having to buy extra shit that I don't normally buy.

Using Civil War as an example, I bought the 7 core CW books, because together they tell a coherent story without needing other books to suppliment them. I also got the Captain America CW Crossovers, but that was by coincidence because I already collected Cap. I did not, however, get any of the Spiderman, Avengers, Fantastic 4 or other CW crossover issues, because I don't normally buy those books.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Ya, but it was with Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps, two books that are directly related to each other. JLA and JSA, to me, are not related in any way and if they watned to feature the teams together, they shouldn't have forced readers to buy both books to get one story, provided they only buy, say, JSA or vice versa for JLA.

Same with Resurrection of Ra's. Personally, Batman and Detective are only barely related to the Robin and Nightwing books and those books bring in different readers. If Morrison wanted to tell the return of Ra's, he should have did it in Batman or with Detective and left the other two titles, which were complete filler in that crossover (although Fabian's Nightwing was great), alone. But they wanted sales spikes from the event and spread a 2 or 3 issue story over 7 or 8 parts with the other books, much like how they are advertising Batman RIP as some 13 part story with tie-ins in Robin, Nightwing, Detective and Outsiders when it's mainly a Grant Morrison Batman story.

Those I hate, regardless of whether or not the tie-ins or story were good. Green Lantern and GLC go hand in hand, much like Batman and Detective, and you'd expect them to cross over or reflect major storylines. Having Flash, Green Lantern and Green Arrow books all tie into each other and force GL fans to buy Flash and Green Arrow in some imaginary event simply because DC wanted a crossover between them would be an example of something I hate, as it forces me to buy books I don't read to get a story when they could have kept it confined to one book with guest stars from the other ones.

KVW on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I twitter, but not very often. What's your twitter name, KVW?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My theory on crossovers is that if you've created a universe populated by thousands of superheroes then to not have them ever meet or work together would be slightly unbelivable.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I dont understand how you can possibly say that you don't consider the JSA and JLA related at all.
    JSA/JLA teamups are a DC tradition.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Seriously.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Anyway, I think we can all agree there are good crossovers and bad crossovers.

Just like there are good events and bad events

good comics and bad comics.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    What no that's crazy

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Anyway, I think we can all agree there are good crossovers and bad crossovers.

Just like there are good events and bad events

good comics and bad comics.

beeweaponne4.jpg

JoeUser on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Does Batman even have a god?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Does Batman even have a god?

That made me curious, and then I found this.
    On the subject of Batman's religious affiliation, there is some disagreement among fans as well as among writers about whether the character is a mostly lapsed Catholic or a mostly lapsed Episcopalian. There is universal agreement that the character is not an active churchgoer in any faith.

JoeUser on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I prefer Marvel's cross-over system, where there may be a book or two that covers the 'main' story, the tie-ins for the most part are self contained. (generally I see marvel doing this)

I dont like having to jump around 6 characters POV's to get the main story. (generally I see DC doing this)

I could be wrong though...

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Whaaat? Did you SEE the number of Civil War tie-ins/crossovers?

Edit: oh right, self-contained; well, I suppose that was mostly the case, though a few things could make absolutely no sense without reading some tie-ins.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah was going to say Wildcat, those are tie-ins not crossovers. Sure Civil War had a lot but at least you can give someone just the civil war trade and they can get the gist of what happened. The tie-ins just flesh out the story a bit more.

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    most of the Civil War tie-ins were self contained but the Spider-Man one was pretty essential.

Marvel really botched the execution of a pretty good idea, but it was worth it because it's been such a good launching point for other stories - which is generally the goal for these sorts of things.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Spider-Man's Civil War arc might have been better than Civil War itself.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Every once in a while, someone brings up Starman and everyone gets all starry-eyed (no pun intended) (that's a lie) about it. Is that this Starman? The one about whom an omnibus came out recently?

I'm curious, is this worth buying? Wiki says that the first volume of the omnibus and the first two trades cover roughly the same content (issues #0-16 for the omnibus, issues #0-5, 7-10, and 12-16 for the two trades), but the trades seem to cost a bit less, and are probably easier to store. Has anyone checked out the omnibus? Is it worth buying over the trades?

Also, why the hell do they do that thing where trades don't always collect issues in the order they were published?

Delduwath on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Does every anti-hero use guns?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Cardiac

Blackwulf

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It depends on how you define anti-hero, and what books you are reading.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Every once in a while, someone brings up Starman and everyone gets all starry-eyed (no pun intended) (that's a lie) about it. Is that this Starman? The one about whom an omnibus came out recently?

I'm curious, is this worth buying? Wiki says that the first volume of the omnibus and the first two trades cover roughly the same content (issues #0-16 for the omnibus, issues #0-5, 7-10, and 12-16 for the two trades), but the trades seem to cost a bit less, and are probably easier to store. Has anyone checked out the omnibus? Is it worth buying over the trades?

Also, why the hell do they do that thing where trades don't always collect issues in the order they were published?

I think the omnibus is collecting it in publication order; the omnibus is the first of six which will collect the entire run of the comic, which the trades never came close to doing.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

Hulk

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Sharp101 wrote: »

Hulk
    He uses them

well Red Hulk does

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Venom: Lethal Protector?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Cardiac

Blackwulf

wolverine (usually)

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    So is there really going to be a Spike (from Buffy) comic? If so, who's publishing it? I don't see it on the Dark Horse site.

JoeUser on
  • Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Is Annihilation worth reading, and if so, which books do I need to get to understand it? Is it reasonably self-contained within the main annihilation trades, or do I need all the tie-ins? I kind of missed out on it at the time but I've heard good things about it, and I've liked the last few issues of Dan Abnett's Nova. Plus, GotG is all kinds of awesome.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    a quick google search pulls up this-
    IDW’s Angel: After the Fall is officially continuing that character’s story post Season Five of the television series’ finale.

But what about Spike? Does his official (read: approved by Whedon) story get explored and told anywhere?

While the character has appeared in Angel: After the Fall, there were certainly some questions left unanswered. Those burning questions will be answered in Spike: After the Fall miniseries launching in July from IDW, by Brian Lynch and Franco Urru. As for the continuity…hang on…

Angel: After the Fall #6, #7 and #8 tell stories of how the cast of characters was affected by the fight in the alley that ended the series. Issue #6 will feature Spike, Connor and Lorne; issue #7 will feature Wesley and a surprise return of a character from the Whedonverse; while issue #8 will feature Gwen, the effect of LA being thrust into hell on the city’s residents, and the fate of Gunn. Issue #9 will pick up from the cliffhanger at the end of issue #5, and will feature the new art team of Nick Runge and Art Lyon. #8 and #9 will both ship in June.

Spike: After the Fall will spin out of the “First Night” events seen in Angel: After the Fall and events in issue #7, and tells of Spike’s first few months in hell and co-stars Illyria.

Spike: After the Fall will run four issues.

so it's coming out from idw, not dark horse. i don't really know anything else about it, though, and that article's from earlier this year, so i don't know if that's still accurate.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
This discussion has been closed.