As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 4E - OOC] Free City of Himyr

InfidelInfidel HereticRegistered User regular
edited August 2008 in Critical Failures
Another D&D 4E game? Why yes!

seal.png

Free City of Himyr
A 4th Edition Dungeons & Dragons campaign.

This is the Out Of Character thread - IC thread here

General Purpose Wiki - here

This campaign will be a weekly session on Monday evenings combined with a PbP thread. The players are:

Avicus - Imnon Gariha, Human Paladin
Frosteey - Celtis Caldia, Human Fighter
jdarksun - Natalie Winfield, Half-Elf Warlock/Warlord
Rainfall - Zho Tanaki, Human Mage
tastydonuts - Callum Blanc, Half-Elf Cleric
VoraciousAardvark - Bleezmoth Bronzebeard, Dwarf Rogue

Character Generation
  1. Point buy, 24 points
  2. All PHB races and classes available
  3. Equipment/gold standard
  4. Personality traits, mannerisms, appearance, backstory. Paragraph form. (see PHB p.23)
  5. Myth-Weavers.com character sheets, please.

Format

Players must be active in the IC thread and show up for sessions Monday at 8pm CST. If you can't make a session here and there then another player will take control of your character in your stead. I'll try to reserve encounters for during sessions and keep things at a quick pace there while having social and other challenges in between sessions in the IC thread.

Evening sessions will take place using IRC and Maptools. The IRC channel to meet in is #bombfell on irc.slashnet.org and you can find Maptools on this site. We're using v1.2 currently.

OrokosPA.png
Infidel on

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Placeholder!

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Social perception-Reserved
    Optimism-Self-assured
    Trust-Trusting

Assertive-Adaptable
    Conscientious-Pragmatic
    Empathy-Kind

Courage-Steady
    Adversity-Stoic
    Nerve-Calm

Mannerisms-
    Nothing in particular. Not an active listener, maybe goes here?

Appearance-
    Black hair tapered just below shoulder level. Brown eyes, slightly fair complexion. Dresses in dark blues and off-whites, and has some of the draping of loose cloths over armor thing going on. More Ken than Ryu on the prettyboy scale.

Background-
    That thing I sent him-
    Human fighter, maybe warlord. Halberding things.

A former military cadet, [Name] left service after several altercations with superiors. ([Name]'s father, an influential figure in
    village/kingdom, had worked hard to establish [Name]'s rise to a position which held much prestige, but was generally kept far from the battlefield.)

Dissatisfied with the inability to progress on his own merits, as well as the inability to showcase and hone those merits on the battlefield, [Name] sets out to find the dragon balls and resurrect his favorite pony, Mr. Flabbergast.

---

[Name] is deathly afraid of spiders. And only mildly deathly afraid of other things with exoskeletons and more than four legs (Bees and butterflies aren't too bad, I suppose).

Enjoys the challenge of a good even match against a strong opponent, but has no particular binding rules of honor in combat.

Often decides things that should not be decided by games of chance with games of chance.

Is generally not good at games of chance.

Prefers more organized, militaristic (especially mounted) combat to spelunking through dungeons and the like.

A pretty peachykeen past, all things considered, barring the unfortunate loss of Mr. Flabbergast (Mother makes excellent cakes. Pies could use some work).

Not overly talkative. Can appear disinterested or distracted in even heated situations, but is generally quite observant even during mundane tasks/encounters.

Doesn't project much emotion beyond general annoyance.

---

: (

Frosteey on
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Character's name changed to Callum Blanc, new sheet here.

Here are the answers to the questions, in written form. I did that last night when you said you wanted us to use it:
    Those who encounter Callum think that he's a rather WITTY, RELAXED kind of guy. He has an ENTHUSIASTIC outlook on life, and it shows in his demeanor. Never one to trust blindly Callum is SUSPICIOUS of most people, though he likes to keep an OPEN-MIND about everything.

Callum can easily vary between being an EASYGOING person, to becoming a COMMANDING prick should the need arise. He lives by the spirit of the law, not its word, even if this FLEXIBLE mindset has gotten him into a lot of trouble growing up. He's a KIND person and though he abhors violence, he can be FIERCE if the need arises. 

His positive outlook on life comes into play even when faced by setbacks. He is known to BOLDLY attempt to drive himself and his allies from the cusp of defeat to the best of his abilities. Naturally, this requires him to maintain CALM nerves.

Don't have the materials with me at the moment, but the first question I had 2 responses since my character fell in-between them "WITTY"/"RELAXED" and I think there's another in the body. I can reformat it as straight out list as well. I'll probably clean that up as well, and get my detailed background/image/mannerisms up there asap.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    edited June 2008
    Paragraph form like that is just fine too, OP updated with name.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wheee backstuff:
    Personality: Zho is quite CHARMING in social interactions, her natural good looks and HOPEFUL manner leading other people to seek her out in conversation. However, her experience with her family has left her quite Skeptical, and she can be very COMMANDING when it comes to critical decisions.
    Her piratical background has left her quite WILD, never following the rules. Unlike her family, she tries to be PROTECTIVE of those around her, not wishing for harm to come to anyone because of her.
    Wishing to atone for her past, she can be quite RECKLESS in dire straits, and becomes DRIVEN when faced with setbacks, doing anything to overcome them, always RESTLESS and looking for a new angle on a problem.

Appearance: Zho is small, her hair and eyes black, her skin a few shades darker than the average human. She tends to dress in tight clothing, not wanting her movement to be impaired by cumbersome robes, knowing the values of maneuverability from her time as a pirate. She wears most of her funds as jewelery, with several jeweled piercings and a necklace of silver and gold pieces. Her one accessory that she never leaves behind is her staff, a teak masterwork, the surface marked with a few protective runes that she etched in herself.

Mannerisms: The easiest way to recognize Zho is by the sound of her voice. She never quite finishes words, and swears like a sailor. A pirate sailor. She frequently lapses into Draconic swears as well, being quite familiar with the language. When sitting still and not speaking, she's almost always fidgeting, cracking her knuckles or neck, or doing something to keep moving.

PIRATE BACKSTORY: Zho was raised in a family of river pirates, the crew comprised mostly of Dragonborn and Humans, her father being the ship's captain. She was quick to learn, but her clumsiness often left her feeling useless, so she threw herself into studying the books that they stole from various victims. Learning much about history, religion, and magic, she slowly taught herself to cast spells, learning the arcane arts through difficult study.

Then one day, her father decided to kill the crew of a ship, simply because they refused to surrender. Zho had seen it before, and normally she didn't bat an eye, but this time, something inside her clicked. Flames exploded from the stores of lamp oil in the hull of the ship, and in the confusion she slipped into the river, swimming to shore and fleeing from her barbarous family. Her magical talents led her to fall in with a band of mercenaries, but she knows that she will never tolerate the cold-heartedness of her old family, or anything like it, ever again.

I'm just looking at Feat choices for my sheet, and then I'll write out power descriptions and link it.

Rainfall on
    edited June 2008
    Zho: "Yarr! YArr! #$@#$(!$&$!&!&!! <DRACONIC>..."

Callum: "...very, very, intelligent sea dragons."

tastydonuts on
    edited June 2008
    Exactly! You can all blame Infidel for me being a pirate. It was his idea!

Rainfall on
    edited June 2008
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Exactly! You can all blame Infidel for me being a pirate. It was his idea!

You've taken it too far! :!!:

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited June 2008
    You'll be a pirate of the nearest creek... though I don't know what the land looks like yet. :P

Though, if Himyr was designed like say, Venice... that would be pretty neat.

tastydonuts on
    edited June 2008
    Alrighty, finished sheet is here.

Good to go, rock an' roll, etc, etc.

Rainfall on
    edited June 2008
    Himyr is at the mouth of a river which empties into a great sea. It's trade vantage and fortified defenses are what garnered it it's status as a free city (city-state).

You all will be arriving at the city as the introduction, together as your group-for-hire in search of riches. Unless you have good reason in your background this is very likely the largest city by far that you've been to and it should be an exciting opportunity for you all.

I have a lot of writing to do still. :)

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited June 2008
    So it IS like Venice. Sorta.

Sweetness. This should be rockin'.

Rainfall on
    edited June 2008
    A little less bridge/island action, but sorta. :)

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited June 2008
    Is there profit?

I put his description and background on the page Or I thought it did... the connection timed out, lol. Luckly I did it in notepad. I may just reread it and expound upon it more, though.

Appearance:
    When he's not sprawled lazily in a chair or where ever he can, Callum stands at tall at 6'2. His brownish complexion and mop of mossy green hair attest to his partial elven lineage. Callum doesn't have any one particular drive that keeps him going, except for profit and a healthy curiousity.

Callum is quite good at getting what he wants with his words over violence, which he has a disdain for. He's seen a lot of that already. Realizing there was just as much profit in support roles, not to mention far less risk, Callum studies the art of healing with much interest.

Background:
    Callum is the son of two warlords. His Human father and Elven mother were both mercenaries. As a result being behind the scenes during battles is something that very familiar to Callum. His parents weren't keen on the idea that he follow in their footsteps, and so what little he picked up on combat strategies and tactics were based on after combat conversations. Contract negotiations, on the other hand were something he was really familiar with. Much of his early life was spent under the care of his mother's friend and fellow elf, a Cleric of Sehanine.

With her training Callum became a cleric of Sehanine as well. Callum traveled with their band until a particularly nasty battle. Their band of mercenaries was routed, and though his parents survived the battle his father was crippled. Thus ended their lives together as mercenaries. Callum stayed around for a bit, but ultimately his desires got the better of him and he struck off on his own. Since then, he's been with a few groups and companies, and now he's found himself with yet another one...

Yea, I can't seem to pull up the page. I'll try again later.

tastydonuts on
    edited June 2008
    Myth Weavers seems to be down at the moment.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited June 2008
    All our sheets are going to disappear. D:

Rainfall on
    edited June 2008
    Rainfall wrote: »
    All our sheets are going to disappear. D:

panic!

Since you guys are together, and you wanted an urban adventure with a party not exactly urbanish, you might want to work out what you guys intend to do for work and where you will start looking. I know you don't have the writeups but you can probably find just about anything here. :winky:

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited June 2008
    I think I'll try and get together 4 other people and make a mercenary group, whereupon I will make smart assed comments about them, yet for some unknown reason they will like me and put up with me.

...yes.

tastydonuts on
    edited June 2008
    You've already done that part. 8-)

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited June 2008
    I'm trying to start a franchise... not misreading your post. yea. that's it.

Based off the posts, I know we have a strong, silent Halberdier a fidgety Magicican and a wannabe profiteer. Gotta figure out where Frosteey and Voracious are going with their character's persona before I can come up with anything offhand.

tastydonuts on
    edited June 2008
    I make a streetwise check.

Frosteey on
    edited June 2008
    Frosteey wrote: »
    I make a streetwise check.

Success!

Results TBD :P

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited June 2008
    FYI, I'm home now and idling #bombfell

Have a bit until jdarksun's game tonight, will be working on setting, if anyone wants character or backstory help (or chat about 4e, or bullshit, or Suga's naked hero discussions) join me there.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • VoraciousAardvarkVoraciousAardvark Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Personality:

Social Interactions:

Bleezmoth could best be described as uncouth, or completely lacking in manners when it comes to most
    social situations. His rather gruff tones and grim outlook on most situations not involving immediate riches or ale tend to turn people away from him. Though suspicious of most people around him, Bleezmoth has been known to let his guard down from time to time and put on a happy face. Rarely.

Decision Points:

When it comes to tense situations and quick actions, Bleezmoth is nothing if not decisive, though impatient when it comes to other people coming to the same conclusion. You could describe him as flexible when it comes to following the rules, but lets be honest, rules were made to be broken, right? While normally oblivious to the plights of others, Bleezmoth can be protective to those companions he finds a bond with, to the point of danger to himself.

Dire Straights:

While normally sounding dour and downright hopeless at times, Bleezmoth is a pillar of bravery in the face of adversity, calm under pressure. Though when the situation goes completely south, he is not the first to loose faith, but is decidedly disgruntled.

Appearance:
    Bleezmoth is rough around the edges, even by Dwarven standards. His face is covered by a violent outcropping of a black beard, braided in several places, and a rather large mustache. Hidden behind an almost always furrowed brow are dark, beady eyes. Some type of frown is usually on his face, unless he happens to be laughing at one of his own jokes, or someone's comical misfortune.
    His garb is composed mainly of dark leathers. His shirt is either made of a dark brown fabric, or has just picked up enough dirt that it is permanently stained, its very hard to decipher which. Carrying a small traveling pack and bristling with knives and daggers, it would seem he prefers to display his intentions rather than relying on subterfuge.

Mannerisms:

Many people hear Bleezmoth in a room before seeing him. His throaty laugh can best be described as a cackle. Many a child has come up to him asking if he was a bad man, only causing him to laugh louder. When he's not silent, grumbling, or laughing, he's usually spitting and swearing, and a lot at that. When he gets worked up, his tirade is barely understandable to those around him.

Background:

Soon.

VoraciousAardvark on
    DirectLogo.jpg
  • AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    How do others perceive you in social interaction? Reserved
    How optimistic are you? Self-assured
    How trusting are you? Trusting

How assertive are you at a decision point? Adaptable
    How consientious are you about following rules? Honest
    How empathetic are you? Protective

How courageous are you in dire straits? Steady
    How do you feel when faced by setbacks? Driven
    How are your nerves? Calm

Imnon is approx 6'2 with short brown hair and brown eyes. For his age of 25, he looks like he has experienced much in his life but is humbled by these experiences.
    He has an aura of peacefulness around him and is approachable my all.

Background

An ex bandit/mercenary whos life was spared by a group of travellers in an attempted robbery saw the errors of his ways and decided to dedicate his life to society and became a paladin of Pelor. After studying and training at the monastery for the last 7 years he feels as though he is ready to venture out into the world to aid the weak.

Imnon would be with a group of adventurers not for the riches or the glory but to help the people who are having problems and would accept any tithes for his church along the way but only if the person can afford it

Char Sheet: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=59017

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
    edited June 2008
    Zho is just looking for the next thing. She wants to help people, but again, she wants money. Her piratical nature isn't completely gone.

Rainfall on
    edited June 2008
    Avicus - Imnon Gariha, Human Paladin: Reserved, ex-Mercenary seeking to help others?

Frosteey - Celtis Caldia, Human Fighter: Confident, ex-Military seeking [strike]to ressurect his favorite pony, Mr. Flabbergast[/strike] to master the art of war, on his own terms.

Rainfall - Zho Tanaki, Human Mage: Foulmouthed, [strike]short[/strike] ex-Pirate with stereotype-busting intelligence?

tastydonuts - Callum Blanc, Half-Elf Cleric: Lazy opportunist driven by greed and wanderlust?

VoraciousAardvark - Bleezmoth Bronzebeard, Dwarf Rogue: Foulmouthed, grumpy Dwarf?

I was thinking about infidel's question to us about what we intend to do for work. I'm guessing we came to the town looking for a job that will serve the common good, give us some reputation and coin... mostly coin. Lots of it.

We could start at the nearest tavern, seeking out the fancily dressed man drowning his sorrows away in the most expensive ale in the place, because kolbolds have raided his homestead and the local guard refused to help him?

Running off to kill the mythical monster that lurks in the inexplicably cavernous network of sewers below the city, while not thinking it's strange that the reward is so high yet its been unclaimed for so long?

Or we can use Frosteey's streetwise check result... :P

tastydonuts on
    edited June 2008
    Either that or we can just start cleaning up crime by beating up random criminals. That could be fun too.

Rainfall on
    edited June 2008
    Well, before we do that... Infidel, are you going to have NPCs be capable of having the "dying" status as well? That could end in murder really quickly. :P

tastydonuts on
    edited June 2008
    Well, before we do that... Infidel, are you going to have NPCs be capable of having the "dying" status as well? That could end in murder really quickly. :P

I think I know what you're asking here, but I'm not sure. D: What? heh

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited June 2008
    Oh, if I read it right, in 4E once an NPC hits > 0 HP, they die. But I just reread the section and you have the option of rendering the creature unconscious
    on a killing blow.

...then I reminded myself that the PHB is written from the perspective of the player, not the DM... so if you wanted to you could have them make death rolls and stuff as well.

tastydonuts on
    edited June 2008
    Ok, if that's what you meant then yes, you don't have to kill creatures if you choose not to.

Although depending on the situation you might end up killing them anyways. :winky: No using some uber daily Kill3r S7rik3 power that deals 2x his total HP and then going "oh, he's not dead thanks!" :)

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited June 2008
    I'd say I'm more confident than headstrong. A pretty tactical thinker, but it just ends up more often than not that recklessly swinging around big sharp objects on sticks is the most efficient means to what I'm after.

Money's not terribly important. Family's well off enough that I could live pretty comfortably off of connections and stuff if that's what I actually wanted, and overall comfort is generally as desirable as extravagant wealth (I guess wealth as a means to power is okay, to some degree. Just not really the seventeen yacht type of deal. Unless they're battle yachts. [This setting should definitely include battle yachts.]). Renown and improvement just happens to be more enticing.

Frosteey on
    edited June 2008
    ah. I see... I changed it then.

btw, who is the primary decision maker of the group, if anyone? the name of my role does not dictate that I am... I just happen to want to play ASAP ;p

tastydonuts on
    edited June 2008
    I tend to take charge on the battlefield, but for other matters, I'm mostly willing to let others do what they please, and maybe offer my own input. While I'm satisfied with, and maybe slightly prefer, a subservient role, I could take up leadership.

Our paladin I suppose could step in, but whoamg religious oppression.

Cleric's and rogue's personalities don't seem to really gel with leadership position.

Our wizard has the mindset, but might take it overboard at times (This probably being more entertaining than anything). I wouldn't mind letting her curse and swear her way through negotiations.

Frosteey on
  • AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    i think it would be pretty funny for the mage to try and make all the decisions because he believes his intelligence is soooo much greater than everyone elses. That would be hilarious for party interactions

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
    edited June 2008
    Avicus wrote: »
    i think it would be pretty funny for the mage to try and make all the decisions because he believes his intelligence is soooo much greater than everyone elses. That would be hilarious for party interactions
    nah, you misread that. her intelligence is high for a pirate. ARR!!! :P

Callum could actually be an ok leader, his upbringing being clerical in both respects (negotiations, logistics, and healing). But his leadership would fall into the grey area of his alignment, meaning that some contracts he'd be willing to take on may not gel too well with the "helping everyone" out part. Since he's taken to Sehanine's liking of trickery, romanticism and discovery, giving him a heavy scoundrel-personality leaning.

That said, I'd like to do it. but yea, it's up to you all... although I'm curious myself what we'd get into with the pirate leading us. :P

tastydonuts on
    edited June 2008
    Linked names to sheets, added jdarksun to the party, now completely capped out here.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited June 2008
    Pfff a Warlock.

Pffff.

Pffff.

I wanted to be a warlock.

As for party leader, Zho might be willing to do it. I doubt anyone else would be willing to let her, though. xD

Rainfall on
  • VoraciousAardvarkVoraciousAardvark Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm sorry, we're full on half humans, send it back =)

VoraciousAardvark on
    DirectLogo.jpg