As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Forged Alliance Commanders

NostregarNostregar Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Artist's Corner
Someone I know is a huge fan of the RTS game "Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance". As a present to him, I'm doing drawings of the commanders from the 4 factions in the game, then getting prints made of them. Before I proceed with any thoughts of prints, I wanted to get peoples' opinions on the work.

At this point I only have one of the four commanders done. I should be finishing up the second one (Cybran) tonight, and then the other two at some point in the next week or two, time permitting.

Anyway, here is the UEF Commander:
shadedug4.jpg

Please let me know what you think. I do tend to draw in a somewhat cartoony style, and I know he likes that style. I was trying to blend that with a somewhat more realistic look in this, so that's why it looks the way it does (sharp contrast with shadows, very simplified).

Nostregar on

• ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I like the lines, but the shadows need to more subtly blend in to the rest of it. Right now it looks like an atomic bomb went off right next to him.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Did you use the burn/dodge tools?

nakirush on
  • NostregarNostregar Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Zombiemambo - The sharp contrast of shadow/light is intentional. It's just how I color. Also, this particular commander is supposed to be very shiny and metallic, so this is my way of displaying that.

Nakirush - Sparingly. I only use dodge for the very bright highlights (middle of the chest, around the "vents", the front of the left arm's gun, few other things like that). The majority of it is a paintbrush and heavily applied blur/smudge.

Nostregar on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Nostregar wrote: »
    Zombiemambo - The sharp contrast of shadow/light is intentional. It's just how I color. Also, this particular commander is supposed to be very shiny and metallic, so this is my way of displaying that.

That's...nice, but my post still stands. I really suggest you change it, because it doesn't make it look any more metallic than it normally would.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Being a big fan of SupCom, I love this picture. I'm no artist (well, sort of), but it seems like it would benefit from... some sort of backdrop? Or maybe a darker background...

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Nostregar wrote: »

That's...nice, but my post still stands. I really suggest you change it, because it doesn't make it look any more metallic than it normally would.

I concur, had you said that it was intentional because he's watching an atomic blast out of the corner of his eyel....well that may have been acceptable. Using extremes in light like this makes images appear harsh and unpleasing to the eye. The bulk of your values in a pictograph like this should be spread across the range with your peak in the middle, not hanging at the extremes of light and dark. It neither looks shiny, nor exceptionally metallic, this is better achieved with reflections and highlights not just lighting the shit out of the subject.

Don't believe me, go and take a photograph of a subject in the mid-day sun, then go back and photograph the same subject in the setting sun and compare the results.

All that bullshit being said, your perspective is amazingly accurate and you have picked your areas to shade very well. You just need to work on the lighting.

Mustang on
  • NostregarNostregar Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Since everybody is saying the same thing, I'll just address it as a whole rather than individually.

I neglected to mention that at some point I was going to put in a background for this (as well as all of the rest in the set), and that it is going to be a desert (one of the more common terrains in the game). The lighting I used might still be too harsh, but maybe this will explain my thought process: desert -> bright sunlight -> harsh lighting.

I didn't mention this before because the background is probably not going to get done until after I have finished all 4 of these, so it's a ways off yet.

But, with that in mind, would you say the shading is still bad?

Also, thanks Mustang.

Nostregar on
  • RavenshadowRavenshadow Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    we can only critique what's there. Not, what might be in the future. And for what's there it's too harsh. Even if it were in the middle of the desert I don't think you could sell black shadows and white highlights like that.

Also, waiting 'till the figures are done before throwing the background in is always a bad idea (unless you're doing something abstract I suppose).

Ravenshadow on
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, I can tell you from experience (as most of us here probably can) that when you color against a white background and then attempt to put a different color in the background, what you already colored looks too saturated to fit against the new color.
    In the future, you may want to pick a color that you feel will be strong in your background and paint-bucket the canvas that color before you begin. This helps you keep a more pleasing pallet.

lyrium on
  • Creambun 007Creambun 007 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    the art is alright, but the ovals for the weapon barrels are very badly done. There doesn't seem to be any consistancy. Would you mind posting your reference?

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2008
    in a desert, yes, the lighting from the primary light source would be quite harsh, but the bleak landscape would diffuse and reflect a lot of the light, creating a softer ambient in many of the shadows. There's a number of ways to break down light in an illustration, including highlight, direct light, reflected light, core shadow and cast shadow.

Here's a good tutorial that explains the differences.

Right now, you've got direct light with hints of highlights in the coloring, and then you skip directly to complete cast shadow, with no reflected light, no subshadow, nothing. It turns all the black areas into total holes of flat, shapeless area, and it doesn't make it look metallic at all. The highlights you have on your metallic flat areas are too soft and don't really communicate anything but "this is supposed to be shiny I guess". You've got the right ideas, but you're not using them in a way that says you understand why to use them.

The foreshortening on the barrels of the guns are inconsistent and cause them to appear wobbly and not hard or dramatic. It's a good start, but it needs to be cleaned up a bit.

Keep working at it, and study a few more of the basics of rendering light, and you're well on your way.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Can you post just the line art? Or possibly just the flat colors without the shading? I'm curious as to how it looks without the shadows.

Also, you might want to vary the line weight on there to give it some more dimension rather then relying solely on the shadow.

see317 on
  • MushiwulfMushiwulf Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    the art is alright, but the ovals for the weapon barrels are very badly done. There doesn't seem to be any consistancy. Would you mind posting your reference?

Not just the barrels, but all of the detail lines are shakey.

Mushiwulf on
  • Deep FriedDeep Fried Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Nice drawing. The highlights/reflections look like they are being constrained to fit inside the line work. Doesn't look natural.

I'd suggest selecting the flat areas with your magic wand and just streaking across the borders with the airbrush.

Deep Fried on
    DF-BANNER_WEAPON-BROWN.gif