As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Internet Explorer 7 has decided to make it less clear when RSS feeds are updated

PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
I'm using IE7 to browse the webs and subscribe to RSS feeds, but unfortunately it seems that it has decided to make it less clear when RSS feeds are subscribed.
There used to be a small star at the RSS icon in the favorites center whenever a feed had received an update and show the name of the feed and the feed's folder in bold, whereas now the only the name of the feed itself is in bold and it is impossible to see if there's updates to any feeds without opening all the folders.

This happened after installing an update to IE7 earlier today, so naturally I tried deleting the update, but that didn't help. I've also tried to do a system restore to yesterday, where I know that it worked, but that didn't change it back either.

I've looked through the various options in IE7, but haven't found anything that could be related to this.

I'm running XP Home SP2, if it makes any difference and it would be great if anyone can help with this in any way.

EDIT: Great. Now it won't even bold the name of the feed.

Peewi on

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Have you ever thought of using Firefox with a skin to make it look exactly like IE7?

You have many options when it comes to reading RSS in firefox, either live bookmarks or very many extensions.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If you do use Firefox, I'd suggest trying out Feed Sidebar - it's basically a sidebar for Live Bookmarks. Other than that, I'd recommend using an online feed reader like Google Reader.

Also, the IE8 beta may not have the same problem.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Cyvros wrote: »
    If you do use Firefox, I'd suggest trying out Feed Sidebar - it's basically a sidebar for Live Bookmarks. Other than that, I'd recommend using an online feed reader like Google Reader.

I haven't heard about IE8 before (might be because this is apparently the first version available), but I'll give it a try.

Also, I always feel like I should be using the newest version of software available, even if it's a beta.

Peewi on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Peewi wrote: »
    Cyvros wrote: »

I haven't heard about IE8 before (might be because this is apparently the first version available), but I'll give it a try.

Also, I always feel like I should be using the newest version of software available, even if it's a beta.

I know exactly what you mean and was quite insistent upon it until the nightlies I used for Firefox and Thunderbird kept crashing on me. I'm slightly more relaxed about it now.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    FrazFraz Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Have you ever thought of using Firefox with a skin to make it look exactly like IE7?

You have many options when it comes to reading RSS in firefox, either live bookmarks or very many extensions.

Thanks for this.

Edit: It doesn't work with the latest version of Firefox.

Fraz on