As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Episode 1... NOW ON STEAM!!!

therightcliquetherightclique Registered User new member
edited July 2008 in Penny Arcade Games
Episode 1 of The Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness is now available on Steam.

therightclique on

• Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't know what to say!

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I want to have it on Steam, but I'm not gonna rebuy it. I wish I could register my license key on Steam. I just tried doing it, but it didn't work. :(

Peewi on
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I was going to buy it soon through Greenhouse but now that it is on Steam, I jumped on it.
    I like the idea that when I am playing it, my friends can see that I am playing it and stuff...

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It just makes you look cool

Impersonator on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    dammit =/

If I knew I could get a copy with achievements I'd have waited =(

ah well

next episode will be out soon enough

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well, poop. I would have rather had the game tied to my Steam account but whatever.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited June 2008
    If it makes you feel any better, by buying it off greenhouse you do support us that much more. :)

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    ehullehull Registered User new member
    edited June 2008
    Is there going to be an option for those of us who purchased through Greenhouse to use our game-key to unlock the Steam version?

-Eric

ehull on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    The best answer to this question can probably be found here, but in short, no the DRM systems are completely separate.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    ehullehull Registered User new member
    edited June 2008
    Thanks.

ehull on
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If it's all the same, I prefer not using the steam system. I rather not have some company track what I'm playing and for how long.

halkun on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I feel kind of betrayed. This just smells like it was planned from the beginning and with all the "we just want you to play on the platform that you're comfortable with" talk by HH employees on this forum . . . it just doesn't seem like something that Gabe and Tycho would be involved with, a big-name corporation would do this not gamings savants.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    devotfeigedevotfeige Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If it makes you feel any better, by buying it off greenhouse you do support us that much more. :)

Well that does make me feel better. Added on top of that I've never used Steam for anything so I'm not particularly bothered. I am this close to buying each episode twice anyway. I really don't need a reason to buy it three times, as much as I do love you guys.

If I wanted you to have my money that badly, I'd be better off just sending the cash.

devotfeige on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I would like to see achievements in the green house version, even if they're not online.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, I'm pretty pissed as well. It was implied very heavily that Greenhouse would be the only digital distribution method and that Steam wasn't going to be involved. Now that there are also achievements on Steam it leaves me believing that this was planned all along.

What the fuck guys?

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    The steam platform was never a sure thing for us (we actually didn't know if we'd be on steam until late last week to be honest), and as far as keeping it quiet, Valve said they'd like us to not say anything until launch, which we did.

We're super sorry that you guys feel betrayed - that was never our intention. We knew we wanted to deliver the game direct and as quickly as possible as we could, and again, the Steam deal really just came together less than a week ago. Knowing now there is this concern from a group of you, we'll definitely make sure to reevaluate how we launch going forward. Again, sorry for confusion.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    If you're being honest about "late last week" then I'm not going to be crying too much. I just hope that you are being honest, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt though since you're good people.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I just checked my email to make sure, and yeah, the entire deal was really up in the air until the 3rd (last week was crazy). Again - moving forward I want to make sure we have your feedback on this. Thanks man.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    HH VladHH Vlad Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I posted this on the GH forum earlier and am reposting here rather than give a link . . . hope that is cool. What Robert said above is totally correct but I wanted to add a bit more information for perspective:

We are working on all sort of enhancements for Greenhouse. But our main focus was to ensure a successful launch so that everyone could start playing right away. Even though Hothead contributes and works on GH, they are separate companies. Hothead wants to ensure it makes great games. HH is also a self-publisher of its games. As a company, it wants to reach as many gamers as possible so that we can keep making great games. So speaking from a HH perspective, launching and supporting the game plus GH issues has been a huge logistical job. Now that we are getting a handle on post launch jitters, we are adding more platforms and will add more ways for gamers to play our games going forward--not just Steam.

From a Greenhouse perspective, GH wants to ensure that overlooked previously released indie and independent games and new upcoming indie and independent games are brought forth to a new gaming audience. GH wants to support Mac and Linux as well as Windows. We are working on other enhancements including looking at how best to add and support features such as achievements so stay tuned for more information about such developments. We are hiring staff to better serve current and future GH supporters. We are working to offer something complimentary to other services out there and our mission is not to directly compete against the likes of Steam. Steam has about 300 games available. Greenhouse is going to focus on a much smaller set and give you choices you may have overlooked. Steam does some of that but their mission and goals from an outside perspective are much more vast. Our name is Greenhouse for a reason--cultivate and innovate--that is what we want to foster. It may take us a while but we are going to get there.

And for those that were wondering, the launch was fantastic and your support, feedback and patience was much appreciated. Digital distribution is still in its infancy and you are helping us bring some new ideas and concepts to life. Thanks for your continued support.

HH Vlad on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Suds wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm pretty pissed as well. It was implied very heavily that Greenhouse would be the only digital distribution method and that Steam wasn't going to be involved. Now that there are also achievements on Steam it leaves me believing that this was planned all along.

What the fuck guys?

No it wasn't.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    As long as people have more choices in how they purchase PA games, it's all cool. :)

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I wish you guys could work out a way to lock our licence keys to Steam. ;___;

Jintor on
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

Actually, yes, it does make me feel better.

I think the one takeaway here is that we'd like to be able to add the game to our steam list; if you could let us know if that's doable or not, that'd be great. It's not a real hill of beans one way or another - clearing it up just makes life easier on everyone.

My question to you, Robert, is how the hell do I get the boys to sign my copy of the game at PAX when it's digital only? :)

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    OndenOnden Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If I had bought the game through Greenhouse, I'd be pissed too. Glad I didn't; I'll be getting it through Steam now.

I never understood why you guys had to reinvent the wheel in the first place. What was the point? Surely a deal with Steam could have been worked out month ahead of the release.

I'm thinking maybe you didn't like the margins, Steam takes a large chunk as I understand it, but what's the value of an established and proven download service with a huge install base? I'm sure you get better margins through your own service, but how much was spent on R&D, hardware, bandwidth, etc...

Onden on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Onden wrote: »
    If I had bought the game through Greenhouse, I'd be pissed too. Glad I didn't; I'll be getting it through Steam now.

I never understood why you guys had to reinvent the wheel in the first place. What was the point? Surely a deal with Steam could have been worked out month ahead of the release.

I'm thinking maybe you didn't like the margins, Steam takes a large chunk as I understand it, but what's the value of an established and proven download service with a huge install base? I'm sure you get better margins through your own service, but how much was spent on R&D, hardware, bandwidth, etc...

I imagine that they took a hit there, what with GH being a new platform of release. They're hedging their bets on future games selling enough to cover the loss.

The whole point of GH, from what I understand, is that something like Steam is incredibly detrimental to a small developer who can't sacrifice the profits. It's a new area of distribution, because while Steam is cheaper to release on, this should be cheaper.

edit:

Just to put it out there, I'm slightly upset that I didn't have the option to purchase it on Steam, but it's inconsequential to me. A good game is a good game, regardless of how I got it.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Throwing my name on the pile with the caveat that I am merely slightly frustrated and I acknowledge it's because I'm anal retentive. I don't care about the achievements, but I'd like to have it managed all through Steam, which I am a big fan of.

Very good game... this doesn't tarnish that. I'll get over it. :-)

DJBreslin on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'm slightly frustrated that they went to steam... but as a business major, I can see how it went down. It probably went something like this.

(About a year ago)
    HH: Hey Valve, we are making a game and want it released on your platform.
    VALVE: Who are you? Hothead? Never heard of you. Why don't you call us back when you have some big-boy pants on.

(About a week ago)
    VALVE GUY 1: Holy cats, the PA game just broke records and set a new viable price point for DLC on 360!
    VALVE GUY 2: Didn't we tell them to buzz off about a year ago?
    VALVE GUY 1: You what?
    VALVE GUY 2: Hey, they have their own distribution and advertisement infrastructure called "Greenhouse" too.
    VALVE GUY 1: Can Someone call this Robert guy for a meeting.... NOW!

I'm guessing Valve underestimated Hothead and the PA name and now are looking to make amends.

halkun on
  • Options
    f-k-tf-k-t Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Does the Steam version have the same DRM as the Greenhouse version (i.e., a limited number of installs)?

f-k-t on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    No, it has it's own DRM, and is incompatible with the Linux/Mac version

halkun on
  • Options
    hazel_orangeshazel_oranges Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

oh robert, how your sultry words sooth my anger at not having achievements. I love steam because I can re-dl a game with ease and you get achievements, but I'll keep using the PAs greenhouse.

how much does steam cut from each game sale?

hazel_oranges on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It would be awesome if you could work out something with Valve allowing us to register our license keys on Steam.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Valve knows the Penny Arcade name, everybody in gaming does.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Just as a simple question is it possible to patch in the achievements to the greenhouse version by adding maybe an extra tab to one of the menus in the agency?

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    HH VladHH Vlad Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I never understood why you guys had to reinvent the wheel in the first place. What was the point?

Not every game made is going to be allowed on XBLA and likewise, not every game made is going to be allowed on Steam. The more choice developers have, the more varied the offerings gamers are going to have. I firmly believe it is great to have a strong player and leader like Valve and Steam and MS with XBLA but it is bad for everyone to have a single or very few sources. Besides a very valid mission that I believe GH can fulfill, the reason above is reason enough alone to exist and to grow.

HH Vlad on
  • Options
    sobjwsobjw Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    HH Vlad wrote: »
    I never understood why you guys had to reinvent the wheel in the first place. What was the point?

Not every game made is going to be allowed on XBLA and likewise, not every game made is going to be allowed on Steam. The more choice developers have, the more varied the offerings gamers are going to have. I firmly believe it is great to have a strong player and leader like Valve and Steam and MS with XBLA but it is bad for everyone to have a single or very few sources. Besides a very valid mission that I believe GH can fulfill, the reason above is reason enough alone to exist and to grow.

I agree that the more choices, the better. Look at what happens when you don't have options: EA releases the same boring Madden every year with little to no innovation. If you want to play an NFL game , you have to deal with them.

I think that this is probably the most exciting time in history for game development. We've had Steam and XBLA for a while and just recently we get Greenhouse and WiiWare. We no longer have to play whatever Gamestop feels like selling to us, we can get any type of game from the comfort of our own home and the people that make the game actually get a bigger slice of the pie. Seems like a win/win for everyone.

Except for the fat cats down in Grapevine. Reminds me of one of my favorite PA strips.

20070330.jpg

sobjw on
    I live on a farm.
  • Options
    yuttyutt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Steam is not the wheel. Steam is a series of tubes, and GreenHouse is more a big truck you can just dump something on.

But, really, self-publishing means you don't have to share profit with third-parties not involved in the creation process. Or, at least, from the sounds of GreenHouse, they have more control over the fees. If HotHead isn't making money, they can't keep making great games. By increasing revenue they gain uncountable opportunities for both the company and consumers. Better support, faster releases, more features, better graphics, longer games; all of these require people and money.

Releasing through GH allows (I'm guessing) maximum revenue for those able and willing to purchase through it. Releasing through Steam and XBLA allows thousands of other people who would have never even heard of the game the opportunity to buy it.

Other than the potential increase in revenue, clearly those involved want to provide the indie dev community with a medium to release games to consumers more easily.

yutt on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I knew I didn't pick up the game on launch for a reason. Thanks gents, really enjoying it so far. Don't really care for achievements, I just prefer to have as many games available from one source as possible.

JAEF on
  • Options
    JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So what's with everyone's hard-on for Steam? What difference is there between the two versions of the game? Do you feel your money has been better spent by having your game tied into some third party app?

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Jandaru wrote: »
    So what's with everyone's hard-on for Steam? What difference is there between the two versions of the game? Do you feel your money has been better spent by having your game tied into some third party app?

Not only this, but giving less money to the people who made the game.

(I think Steam takes 50% of sales)

halkun on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The steam platform was never a sure thing for us (we actually didn't know if we'd be on steam until late last week to be honest), and as far as keeping it quiet, Valve said they'd like us to not say anything until launch, which we did.

We're super sorry that you guys feel betrayed - that was never our intention. We knew we wanted to deliver the game direct and as quickly as possible as we could, and again, the Steam deal really just came together less than a week ago. Knowing now there is this concern from a group of you, we'll definitely make sure to reevaluate how we launch going forward. Again, sorry for confusion.

Ok fair enough.

Now I have two copies. :S

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png