As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steal On] Limbo of the Lost (Grand Theft Everything)

NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Games and Technology
I didn't see a thread, but this is hilarious...

Publisher Tri-Synergy has recently pulled copies of their game "Limbo of the Lost." A point-and-click adventure game for PC that was apparently in "development" for a long while. (years?)

apparently "development" consists of grabbing screencaps and textures from other popular games and using them as background for your shitty game..

Kotaku Article

Shacknews article with more comparisons.

oblivion_rip.gif
Comparison from "Limbo..." and "Oblivion: The Elder Scrolls"

Didn't even change the picture of the king.

UT20042008-06-1202-29-25-76.png
Unreal 2003
Snap15.jpg
Limbo of the Lost

This is the funniest/saddest thing I've seen in gaming in awhile, they also stole menus from Baldurs gate and additional content from Thief 3... just wow. D:

:winky:
Nalouto on

• Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What am I even looking at here?

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Allow me to clean it up.

Comparison shots from Limbo of the Lost and Oblivion.

also, Comparisons from Limbo of the Lost and UT2k3.

Nalouto on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    man i thought UT3 looked better than that

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Doesn't this happen all the time in these shitty valu-soft level games.

See phoenix games for more copyright shenanigans.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    man i thought UT3 looked better than that

lol I am tired. Unreal 2003. >_>

*quadruple edit.. there we go. I won't post again when it's so late, promise.

Nalouto on
  • Options
    cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Shacknews article had this as this list of additional stolen assets used:

* Epic's Unreal Tournament 2003 and 2004 (PC)
    * Konami's Silent Hill series
    * Lionhead's Black & White 2 (PC)
    * Blizzard's Diablo 2 (PC)
    * Troika's Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (PC)
    * Bethesda's The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (PC, Xbox)
    * The 1997 film Spawn

SPAWN? Really? Couldn't find anything better than that?

And i would think that the huge leap from some of these graphics would be just completely jarring, like one part is oblivion, and the next screen goes to a morrowind scene? or a diablo scene? this is just wierd.

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Shacknews article had this as this list of additional stolen assets used:

* Epic's Unreal Tournament 2003 and 2004 (PC)
    * Konami's Silent Hill series
    * Lionhead's Black & White 2 (PC)
    * Blizzard's Diablo 2 (PC)
    * Troika's Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (PC)
    * Bethesda's The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (PC, Xbox)
    * The 1997 film Spawn

SPAWN? Really? Couldn't find anything better than that?

And i would think that the huge leap from some of these graphics would be just completely jarring, like one part is oblivion, and the next screen goes to a morrowind scene? or a diablo scene? this is just wierd.

Now I'm curious as to how they ripped off Spawn..

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    JimpyJimpy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You all just wait, this game will be worth hundreds one day. About two hundred pennies to be exact. No but seriously, I can see this game, if actually ever made and put into a case being a rare game for collectors. I mean I don't know about you all but this game looks hilarious. Everything is a fucking rip so I can't imagine what little stuff they did make is like. The story is probably better then Oblivion's, though.

Jimpy on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Jimpy wrote: »
    You all just wait, this game will be worth hundreds one day. About two hundred pennies to be exact. No but seriously, I can see this game, if actually ever made and put into a case being a rare game for collectors. I mean I don't know about you all but this game looks hilarious. Everything is a fucking rip so I can't imagine what little stuff they did make is like. The story is probably better then Oblivion's, though.

It has been made and put on shelves and now pulled, and I want it.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh jesus, the voice acting! My ears have burst into flames.
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/28891.html
    You can see the stolen diablo 2 inventory screen graphics there, as well as the spawn section. I also love how the guy who made it only seems to use the one font, on the signs, the UI, everything. :lol:

Wow, just... wow.
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34863.html

This is like the kind of thing they have on TV shows when there's a storyline involving video games, I expect the characters on CSI to be looking at it on a screen and one of the nerdy guys saying how it's the hottest online game out there and that he's almost level 99 as he types furiously. :lol:

-SPI- on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    :lol: They stole Aarons laugh from Clive Barkers Undying too! The "muhahahaha" laugh in the 2nd trailer near the end.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    JimpyJimpy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Oh jesus, the voice acting! My ears have burst into flames.
    You can see the stolen diablo 2 inventory screen graphics there, as well as the spawn section. I also love how the guy who made it only seems to use the one font, on the signs, the UI, everything. :lol:

Wow, just... wow.

This is like the kind of thing they have on TV shows when there's a storyline involving video games, I expect the characters on CSI to be looking at it on a screen and one of the nerdy guys saying how it's the hottest online game out there and that he's almost level 99 as he types furiously. :lol:

I can't believe this game is... just that horrible. "PLUZE, KILL MEH". I have to play this game... then burn it.

Jimpy on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Well I can say one thing about it.

I think it might have more voice actors then Oblivion!

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, (to appeal to the divergence) I wasn't terribly impressed with the voice acting/model reaction to voice acting in Oblivion. (Shudders)

But how did they think they could get away with this? Maybe it was intentional, like satire? I mean, they couldn't have seriously thought they'd get away with it... I mean, what game has that many COMPLETELY different genres/locales in it for no apparent reason? Taking from UT 2003 and Oblivion? What? I mean, it reminds me of the Adam West Batman movie when Robin grabs the "Bat-Shark-Repellant" and my pre-adolescent mind finally figured out that the whole Adam West Batman thing was nothing more than over the top satire.

... it was satire, right? God, please let it be satire.

EDIT: Ugh, and I hate to add fuel to the fire... but look at the model that they DID put into those scenes. The person? I'm not 100% sure, but I think I saw that very same character (textures and all) in one of those "free model" packages you can find on the internet. I was on a free model grabbing frenzy for a school project (where we had to load models using OpenGL), and I could SWEAR I grabbed that exact same model from somewhere. It's pretty sad.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't even know what to say.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, (to appeal to the divergence) I wasn't terribly impressed with the voice acting/model reaction to voice acting in Oblivion. (Shudders)

But how did they think they could get away with this? Maybe it was intentional, like satire? I mean, they couldn't have seriously thought they'd get away with it... I mean, what game has that many COMPLETELY different genres/locales in it for no apparent reason? Taking from UT 2003 and Oblivion? What? I mean, it reminds me of the Adam West Batman movie when Robin grabs the "Bat-Shark-Repellant" and my pre-adolescent mind finally figured out that the whole Adam West Batman thing was nothing more than over the top satire.

... it was satire, right? God, please let it be satire.

EDIT: Ugh, and I hate to add fuel to the fire... but look at the model that they DID put into those scenes. The person? I'm not 100% sure, but I think I saw that very same character (textures and all) in one of those "free model" packages you can find on the internet. I was on a free model grabbing frenzy for a school project (where we had to load models using OpenGL), and I could SWEAR I grabbed that exact same model from somewhere. It's pretty sad.

No this is entirely intentional and not satire. Games like this exist all over the internet just most never make it past some shitty "Gimme a hundred dollars and I'll send you a floppy with the game" website.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    DO YOU BELIEVE IN FATE

F

A

T

E

Iriah on
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    They have also taken levels from painkiller.

This is the best/worst thing ever.

pnklr-20080612-031757.jpg

932503_20080514_screen015.jpg

seriously I cannot get enough of this.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Around 2:40, I am pretty sure that I saw that FMV before. I want to say Planescape, but I am not sure.

wall20of20the20eyelessmu9.jpg
    limboofthelostsi1.jpg
    They even stole the border pattern.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    The title features apparently stolen graphics that, according to news site GamePlasma and gaming community NeoGAF, are identical to the game The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.[1] Further screenshots and video have suggested[2] that environments and features have also been stolen from Diablo II, Painkiller, Unreal Tournament 2003, Unreal Tournament 2004, Thief: Deadly Shadows, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Silent Hill 4: The Room, Crysis, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, World of Warcraft, scenes from the 1997 film Spawn, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, and other games and movies.
    HAHA. This shit is hilarious.

Couscous on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This is is apparantly one of those 2D adventure games.
    Meaning what they've done is taken screenshots of the other games and used them as backgrounds.
    I mean, really.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This is the best thing on the internet right now.
    Phoenix Games should be jealous.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Morrowind:
    mororcarmorvo7.jpg
    Limbo:
    snap14kb8.jpg

Couscous on
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh... Oh wow.... just... wow...
    Do you believe in Fate or Destiny? If not, maybe you should reconsider as the twin brothers, Fate and Destiny, are battling for supremacy over Mankind! Their battleground: a vast citadel called The Keep of Lost Souls, created before time and in a realm known as LIMBO. If Fate wins, the 7th Gate to the Kingdom of Shadows will be opened, Armageddon shall be birthed and Mankind will suffer for all eternity. If Destiny wins, mankind prospers. Fate's weapons of choice are the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse, the devious puzzles of the Keep and a few unsavory characters. Destiny's weapon is Captain Benjamin S. Briggs and...You! Captain Briggs carries the Seal to the book of Sufferance, a book crafted by the Elders, scripted from the souls of the Lost and inked with their blood and suffering. The Evil Four Horsemen guard this precious tome at the very top of the Keep and the Captain will have to reach this most ancient of books and seal it. The way ahead will be a path drenched in puzzles and littered with denizens of the Keep. His only true ally is you! Limbo of the Lost is a scary adventure game set in the world of the undead. Do you have what it takes to right the wrong and save mankind? Plunge into an original fantasy world, where the undead are waiting to meet you. The eternal battle between Destiny & Fate awaits you...

Spectator gameplay - You do not control the main character, you ask him to do certain actions, actions that sometimes he will or will not do. Over 30 NPC characters to talk with 6 levels of logical devious puzzles Hours of dialogue with 100% lip-synched 3D models 100% mouse driven, with optional keyboard shortcuts Save your game anywhere at anytime No dying, action sequences or sliding puzzles Bonus Limbo DVD Movie

Yeah, I'm so buying this game.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    jedijzjedijz Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ironically this is becoming an awesome meta-game.

jedijz on
    Goomba wrote: »
    It is no easy task winning a 1v3. You must jump many a hurdle, bettering three armies, the smallest.

Aye, no mere man may win an uphill battle against thrice your men, it takes a courageous heart and will that makes steel look like copper. When you are that, then, and only then, may you win a 1v3.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/BlindProphet
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    That is some of the best writing I have ever seen in any game, ever.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    jedijz wrote: »
    Ironically this is becoming an awesome meta-game.

this isnt one of them unfiction thingies is it?

EDIT- the second picture in titmouse's post- the green boarders- is that a WoW mod? maybe eq2? its damn familiar.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    FrostozunaFrostozuna Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm picturing a scenario where a college student in some game design program has been procrastinating all semester and had to stay up all night to make this hours before his final

Frostozuna on
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Awww, someone bought the copy that was on Amazon. :P

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Finally some true next-gen Phoenix titles.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I can't figure out if the character model in that Oblivion comparison is Ed Norton in The Illusionist, or Robert the Bruce from Braveheart...

EDIT: "Fate's weapons of choice are the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse, the devious puzzles of the Keep and a few unsavory characters."

Now that's just adding insult to insult, nevermind injury. Shit, may as well add spitballs to the equation.

Fawst on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Look at Destiny's weak-ass lineup. Captain Benjamin S. Briggs and... You!

:|

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    from digg-

Look at this official trailer for the game, pay attention at 2:40:

Now look at this Spawn movie trailer, pay attention at 0:24 :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KMYx8lG59A&feature

not even Spawn is safe.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wow, I want this game. I can only imagine the hilarity that would ensue.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MargaretMargaret Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Found this review of the game. The reviewer is oblivious to the plagarism, but notes "In the visual department LotL follows its mixed bag recipe to the letter, at least when it comes to the backgrounds. Therefore, your eyes will feast on very beautiful scenery in chapter 3 as well as graphics resembling amateur adventure games in chapter 4." :lol:

Margaret on
    XBL: MagWheels
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Unreal maps:

ut20046122008dmhelmzdeehs4.jpgvssnap3qf0.jpg

ut20046122008dmhelmzdeebd4.jpgvssnap2mt2.jpg

And this is a wraith from Lord of the Rings

wraithfrontfullcp8.jpg

:lol:

Impersonator on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Has anyone figured out where they stole the main character from?

Peewi on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Someone over at NeoGaf said that it's probably a default one from Poser or something

Impersonator on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh wow, this shit is so bad. So bad.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This is perhaps the most epic act of plagiarism...ever.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png