As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Obilex' Speedpainting Thread

ObilexObilex Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Artist's Corner
After posting some of my "speedpaints" on the doodle thread, Miss Beavotron suggested i make my own thread so as to follow my progress and whatnot. I wasn't going to do this because i am shy and felt safe hiding in the doodle thread, but seeing how a point was made of it i felt the need to make my own.

My goal in doing these speedpaints is to build my skills and understanding of color, light, values, and basic rendering as fast as possible. I will spend anywhere from 10-50 minutes on each painting and try not to linger on any certain one.

I will be working with heavily textured brushes as it is easy to pick out shapes, which i will then turn into a spaceship, figure, landscape, or whatnot. Some of these will start with a random photo and distort it beyond recognition and then build off of the shapes i see, and in others i will simply scribble until i see something.

I am doing this as an attempt to better myself as quick as possible and i want you guys to tear me to shreds and give me advice and tell me what is wrong and what you like, and all that. I just want to learn and get better. I will try and update as much as possible, most likely daily.

the following are just paintings from the doodle thread to catch everyone up, the last 2 are new ones that i did tonight.

angl-1.jpg
ufo.jpg
speed3.jpg
ship2copy.jpg
welder.jpg
jadetemplecopy.jpg
forestsamuraicopy.jpg
mntspeed.jpg
speedship1.jpg
imancopy.jpg
lake1copy.jpg

tonight's

lava1.jpg

sunlight.jpg

feedback is greatly appreciated as always.

Obilex on

• PongePonge Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ooh man, I love these!!

What is your workflow? You know i'd pay to see a video capture of you at work on a quick piece, I just love to see how people do things in photoshop, you learn so much that way.

Ponge on
  • jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You're pretty much only using very high contrast scenes and very saturated colors, I'd like to see something besides that. Also, if you're looking to actually improve, while speedpaints are fun and DO help, I would say that studies of what you want to learn, then applying it afterward would be the right way to go.

I'm sure you know this, just putting it out here first.

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I wouldn't mind seeing these in wallpaper sizes. <_<>_>

Aldo on
  • jibjibjibjib Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    hmm...the colors and composition are very good. The only thing a bit distracting is that the textures, while very interesting and effective, are sometimes spread out too evenly over the whole piece. Try to keep most of the textures confined to one focal area, and see how that works for you. I think this might be one of those instances where 'less is more'.

jibjib on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    third down and the last one are tops

beavotron on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Say, these are great! I can't wait to see what you come up with next. I do agree with Aldo though, some of these may as well be wallpaper size!

Endless_Serpents on
  • ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ponge: I'm glad you show an interest in how i work but frankly my computer is far too slow to actually capture a video, maybe when i get back to school i can use the ones in the lab.

Jpeg: Thanks a bunch for the feedback, i have seen some of your work and love it. And anything i have painted or drawn outside of doodles in the past have all been referenced, so this is more of me trying to break away from the crutch of a ref picture and develop my ability to get whatever is in my head onto paper. And i tried to tone down the saturation and contrast in this next one, although i will admit it was hard for me to change up but i guess the best way to learn is to try different techniques and styles.

Jibjib: i will admit a lot of the texture is distracting, personally i like really textured looks in painting so i tend to go overboard. In the spirit of bettering myself and trying new things, i really made a point to tone down the textures in this next one as well

Aldo and endless: i'm glad you guys like them so far but until i can get a real image host, photobucket is limiting me to 800x600

beavotron: Thanks again for giving me the little nudge into doing this, your feedback is always appreciated.

and now for today's.

dozer2-1.jpg

it was really quck, somewhere around 30 minutes because i was out all morning shooting some sick Brazilian FN FAL rifles with my uncle and now i am headed to a family reunion, so i didnt really have time for much.

Thanks again!

Obilex on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Obilex: imageshack and deviantart allow bigger sized images. :)

Aldo on
  • jibjibjibjib Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    now that is much better. The open negative space really helps the viewer focus on the details.

That last one actually looks a lot like some of Ashley Woods' stuff.

jibjib on
  • Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    that tank/wide car thing is great.

Asamof the Horrible on
  • vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I love your art, I dunno what it is but I love the colours and the abstractness of it all. Wallpaper sizes would we be amazing. I really like 1,2,3,6,7 and the last one.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Thank God you made a thread Obilex! Now I won't have to hunt down your fantastic art in the doodle thread!

EDIT: That was not a hit on the doodle thread, it was a "this is much more convenient than scrolling though pages and pages" comment.

Godfather on
  • ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I commented in the doodle thread about most of the same things (textures) and am glad to see a departure in your most recent. Kudos. =D

Shiboe on
  • IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    all I can say is I'd really like these for wallpapers

I'll go back to lurking now

Iriah on
    edited June 2008
    jibjib: that is probably the nicest thing anybody could ever say about my stuff because i am absolutely in love with his work and would love to turn out even remotely that talented.

Asam: Thanks! it actually started out as another boring mountain but i decided to go in the complete opposite direction, i'm glad i did.

Iriah and Vegeta: I tried to get up an imageshack account on at least 2 different emails today but both times the site gave me a "registration error" hopefully its just a problem on their end, but i will attempt to register again tomorrow.

Shiboe: Yea man, i appreciate any feedback i can get seeing how i really have nothing to lose by trying different things other than a half hour of time. 8-)

Godfather: I'm glad you like it! and seeing how i have this thread i feel kind of obligated to update and work on things more than i used to so it was definitely a smart idea on my behalf.

now for today's, i was playing Oregon trail earlier, haha

wagontrainsml.jpg

Obilex on
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Photobucket can be set to allow full-size images, you just have to change the upload settings. It defaults to 800x600 resizing.

1920x1080

Here's where you change the option...
    Photobucket.jpg

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
    edited June 2008
    oh sick! thanks a bunch

Obilex on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Iriah wrote: »
    all I can say is I'd really like these for wallpapers

I'll go back to lurking now

Seconded!

KalTorak on
    edited June 2008
    here's a new one, i'm not really a fan of it and i think i can do better but my brain is shot, i think i got too much sun yesterday.

temple-1.jpg

and here are a few wallpaper sizes, most of the ones i had done were never big to begin with b/c i didnt really see a need to work that big on speedpaints.
    temple.jpg
    wagontrain.jpg
    dozer.jpg

i'll be back soon, and hopefully my creative juices will have recharged.

Obilex on
    edited June 2008
    one i made for my mom's birthday last minute

waterfall.jpg
    mombday.jpg

Obilex on
  • Deep FriedDeep Fried Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Relatively cool.

Deep Fried on
    DF-BANNER_WEAPON-BROWN.gif
    edited June 2008
    thanks dood

Obilex on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I love the colours. So saturated and good!

desperaterobots on
  • Matt!Matt! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Does Obilex = Alduar?

If not, your speed paints are really similar and really awesome.

Matt! on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Haha, not to insult obilex here, as he is doing a great job. But he is no where near the level of our friend Alduar

Sublimus on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Holy shit! That's a speedpaint? It looks like a full blown bit of art.

Mustang on
    edited June 2008
    Well, yeah. That is a more finished piece by him actually. But if you want to see some of his stuff from back when he posted here, you can check his old thread.

Sublimus on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Comparing most anyone here to Alduar/Mr.Blondie/Whit Brachna is unfair really.

I have had nothing new to add to the comments, and I still don't, but Obilex, you are doing a great job.

Tam on
    edited June 2008
    Wow, yea, no.

haha i would probably give one of my limbs to be as talented as Alduar, i have followed his art for like 3 years now and he never ceases to amaze me with his level of skill.

nothing new to post, been a busy week and this weekend will be even more busy. I will see if i can't squeeze out a quick one tho.

Thanks for the support tam, i've always dug your stuff

Obilex on
  • Matt!Matt! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    whoa misfire!

i still think their speed paints look similar

Matt! on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Creambun 007Creambun 007 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Obilex wrote: »
    one i made for my mom's birthday last minute

waterfall.jpg
    mombday.jpg

This one seems a little... isometric? The colors are nice though.

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
    edited June 2008
    creambun: i completely agree, composition isnt really my strong point. Trying to get better though.

really fast one, i have no clue. Robot?

robotlg.jpg

Obilex on
    edited June 2008
    I like that one a lot! But I think it couls use some contrast/color variation. Dont go overboard with color variation, but little nuances are what keep the eye entertained.

Sublimus on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If what I'm thinking is right, that there's a robut makin'/in a huge explosion. If so, I think the low contrast and limited color variation works if only to convey the sense of overwhleming-ness and confusion in that hellish firestorm.

Could go either way.

Tam on
  • Creambun 007Creambun 007 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You should consider recording as you create one of these pieces. Perhaps if you did a couple while under the microscope, then post your results?

I for one would love to learn the ins and outs of your style, what brushes you use, how you go about determining your palette, etc... I ask because I'm truly inspired by your work, but get stuck as to where to start when it comes to making my own.

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
  • DSilDSil Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It seems to me that, in general, color variation helps to define the scenes. The last one (in the original series, that is) has a subtle color gradient that emphasizes the ground-to-sky transition, and has a sense of atmosphere and depth. The one with green mountains & stairs loses a lot of depth because the hue is the same throughout. However, the black and white one has a great sense of space, but no color. Anyway, just something I noticed. Great exercise!

DSil on
  • DangeriskDangerisk Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You should consider recording as you create one of these pieces. Perhaps if you did a couple while under the microscope, then post your results?

I for one would love to learn the ins and outs of your style, what brushes you use, how you go about determining your palette, etc... I ask because I'm truly inspired by your work, but get stuck as to where to start when it comes to making my own.

I would also appreciate this very much.

Dangerisk on
    If what you say is true, the Shaolin and the Wu-Tang could be DANGERISK.
    edited June 2008
    Sublimus: thanks dude, and yea, i need to work on color variation, a distinct palette is always really apparent in anything i seem to make.

Tam: I was kinda going for the giant explosion, definitely appreciate your comments.

DSil: Thanks a bunch for the crits dude, i will be sure to work on that stuff a lot more now!

Creambun and dangerisk: I am glad to hear i inspire some people, and as far as recording one of my paintings, my computer is a bitch when it comes to that stuff, but i will try and do something along those lines soon.

Its been a busy week, in the process of moving to my lake house right now so this is all i managed to pump out. I think i want to go back to it b/c its only like 15 mins of work and i think something good can come out of it.

so here is a WIP shot

sml.jpg

Obilex on
  • IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'd like that one as a WP - you going to upload any more?

Iriah on
    edited July 2008
    Oh jeez, I'm alive. no real excuse as to why i disappeared for so long other than working a lot and lazyness :-/ but I am back with an update. Something I made for my grandma.

deesml.jpg

bigsize
    dee.jpg

Obilex on