As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Questions? Answers!- The General Questions Thread

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    a quick google search pulls up this-
    IDW’s Angel: After the Fall is officially continuing that character’s story post Season Five of the television series’ finale.

But what about Spike? Does his official (read: approved by Whedon) story get explored and told anywhere?

While the character has appeared in Angel: After the Fall, there were certainly some questions left unanswered. Those burning questions will be answered in Spike: After the Fall miniseries launching in July from IDW, by Brian Lynch and Franco Urru. As for the continuity…hang on…

Angel: After the Fall #6, #7 and #8 tell stories of how the cast of characters was affected by the fight in the alley that ended the series. Issue #6 will feature Spike, Connor and Lorne; issue #7 will feature Wesley and a surprise return of a character from the Whedonverse; while issue #8 will feature Gwen, the effect of LA being thrust into hell on the city’s residents, and the fate of Gunn. Issue #9 will pick up from the cliffhanger at the end of issue #5, and will feature the new art team of Nick Runge and Art Lyon. #8 and #9 will both ship in June.

Spike: After the Fall will spin out of the “First Night” events seen in Angel: After the Fall and events in issue #7, and tells of Spike’s first few months in hell and co-stars Illyria.

Spike: After the Fall will run four issues.

so it's coming out from idw, not dark horse. i don't really know anything else about it, though, and that article's from earlier this year, so i don't know if that's still accurate.

Thanks! I looked some more and found the blog of Brian Lynch, which seems like it's going forward. It might be coming out in July, but IDW doesn't seem to have anything on it except for some posts in their forums.

JoeUser on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    fray wrote: »
    Is Annihilation worth reading, and if so, which books do I need to get to understand it? Is it reasonably self-contained within the main annihilation trades, or do I need all the tie-ins? I kind of missed out on it at the time but I've heard good things about it, and I've liked the last few issues of Dan Abnett's Nova. Plus, GotG is all kinds of awesome.

Yes, the three Annihilation trades are totally worth a read. Go get them now *whipcrack*

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Virral wrote: »
    fray wrote: »
    Is Annihilation worth reading, and if so, which books do I need to get to understand it? Is it reasonably self-contained within the main annihilation trades, or do I need all the tie-ins? I kind of missed out on it at the time but I've heard good things about it, and I've liked the last few issues of Dan Abnett's Nova. Plus, GotG is all kinds of awesome.

Yes, the three Annihilation trades are totally worth a read. Go get them now *whipcrack*

And just to clarify, the tie-ins are already collected in the trades.

Wildcat on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Spike belongs to IDW because they own the Angel liscence

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »

Is Joss Whedon affiliated with the Angel comic at all?

JoeUser on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    JoeUser wrote: »

Is Joss Whedon affiliated with the Angel comic at all?

Everything in it is his idea. He just delegated the script-writing.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2008
    he has endorsed it, and supposedly Brian Lynch told him what he wanted to do and Joss loved it and he consults with him and stuff, but he dosent actually do any writing for it no

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Every once in a while, someone brings up Starman and everyone gets all starry-eyed (no pun intended) (that's a lie) about it. Is that this Starman? The one about whom an omnibus came out recently?

I'm curious, is this worth buying? Wiki says that the first volume of the omnibus and the first two trades cover roughly the same content (issues #0-16 for the omnibus, issues #0-5, 7-10, and 12-16 for the two trades), but the trades seem to cost a bit less, and are probably easier to store. Has anyone checked out the omnibus? Is it worth buying over the trades?

Also, why the hell do they do that thing where trades don't always collect issues in the order they were published?

buy the fuckin' omnibus.

the trades only collected the super hero stuff, and not all the cool bits and pieces where Robinson takes a break from the main story and shows you the world Starman is in, it's characters, and, especially, the past.

not only will they collect the whole series, but also the Shade Journals, Annuals, and Shade Miniseries, and really it is such a nice packaging.

seriously, just buy the fuckin' omnibus

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited June 2008
    I feel like such a bitch for buying the trades.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2008
    you are a total bitch, and a horrible person

buy the omnibus

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited June 2008
    I'm going to! It's just that there's other stuff I want to buy first, specifically stuff that isn't a different version of stuff I already own.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2008
    buy it first

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I bought it and I don't regret it at all. Of course the only Starman I owned beforehand was a copy of the 'Times Past' trade I bought at a Half-Price books and a copy of #1 I bought off a comic book website.

ZombieAsuma on
    edited June 2008
    Were there any aesthetic improvements? How about extras?

Robos A Go Go on
  • ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Nicer paper, improved coloring, the whole package just looks nicer. Plus it looks great on the bookshelf. There are some extras in there too. I picked mine up for a little over $30 online so I will say it is worth AT LEAST $30.

ZombieAsuma on
    edited June 2008
    it is worth every penny why haven't you bought it yet

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm suddenly interested in this Genext. I've always been a sucker for real-time aging in comics. Is it any good?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Every once in a while, someone brings up Starman and everyone gets all starry-eyed (no pun intended) (that's a lie) about it. Is that this Starman? The one about whom an omnibus came out recently?

I'm curious, is this worth buying? Wiki says that the first volume of the omnibus and the first two trades cover roughly the same content (issues #0-16 for the omnibus, issues #0-5, 7-10, and 12-16 for the two trades), but the trades seem to cost a bit less, and are probably easier to store. Has anyone checked out the omnibus? Is it worth buying over the trades?

Also, why the hell do they do that thing where trades don't always collect issues in the order they were published?

buy the fuckin' omnibus.

the trades only collected the super hero stuff, and not all the cool bits and pieces where Robinson takes a break from the main story and shows you the world Starman is in, it's characters, and, especially, the past.

not only will they collect the whole series, but also the Shade Journals, Annuals, and Shade Miniseries, and really it is such a nice packaging.

seriously, just buy the fuckin' omnibus

Is there just one omnibus? I ask because on Amazon when I searched for it, it said Starman Omnibus vol. 1.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
    edited June 2008
    Only one out now, but there will be six in total.

Wildcat on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm suddenly interested in this Genext. I've always been a sucker for real-time aging in comics. Is it any good?

It's written by Chris Claremont.

And it is not 1983.

So, no, not really.

Munch on
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I just read Salvation Run #7 last night. Spoilers in my question-
    Did they really kill of Solomon Grundy and Grodd? Grodd just showed up in Flash #240, ugh. Grodd is a classic villain and there is no way they can just kill him off!

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
    edited June 2008
    I really wish they had just let GRRM write his Salvation Run story as an Elseworlds.

His pitch was amazing

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    mugginns wrote: »
    I just read Salvation Run #7 last night. Spoilers in my question-
    Did they really kill of Solomon Grundy and Grodd? Grodd just showed up in Flash #240, ugh. Grodd is a classic villain and there is no way they can just kill him off!

Is solomon grundy still intelligent?

I remember in the first new Justice League arc he got intellegence from his latest rebirth and didn't want to lose it, but then I quit reading Justice League.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
    edited June 2008
    and is Grundy dying a big deal?

I mean isnt that what he does

I would be upset if Grodd is gone though

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    yeah I dunno, I just read a thread on newsarama saying they didn't die, but there were monsters eating their limbs

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
    edited June 2008
    mugginns wrote: »
    yeah I dunno, I just read a thread on newsarama saying they didn't die, but there were monsters eating their limbs

Well Grundy could "die" fine and then come back however he does it.

Grodd did have some little animals chewing on him, though his wounds didn't necessarily look fatal. I doubt that they'd let him die.

JoeUser on
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Munch wrote: »

And it is not 1983.

So, no, not really.

Two issues in and it's not awful?

I am interested in the characters and want to know more, so I guess it's doing its job. It's not stellar though.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
    edited June 2008
    bobgorila wrote: »
    Munch wrote: »

And it is not 1983.

So, no, not really.

Two issues in and it's not awful?

I am interested in the characters and want to know more, so I guess it's doing its job. It's not stellar though.

It's not like Young X-Men or Teen Titans are any better, and it's not like Runaways is coming out with any consistency or Young Avengers is coming out at all.

Robos A Go Go on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I really wish they had just let GRRM write his Salvation Run story as an Elseworlds.

His pitch was amazing

Expound.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited June 2008
    Runaways is going to start coming out regularly again in August though

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So Suburban Glamour, is it any good. I got caught up in that Matt Fraction twitter thing today and started looking around at Jamie's stuff. It appears there is a trade of it and I might have to pick it up.

smokmnky on
    edited June 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »
    So Suburban Glamour, is it any good.

YES.

EDIT: also full first issue here.

Wildcat on
    edited June 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »

His pitch was amazing

Expound.

Here's his blog post about it.
    GRRM wrote:
    It was an Elseworlds series from day one, however. A "what if" story. When Britain sent convicts to Australia, they were transported "for the term of your natural life," and that was the premise of our story too. There was no escape. The planet was in another galaxy, millions of light years away, accessible only by Boom Tube. We wanted to tell a story that would span decades. Characters would die, would change, would marry, would have children. Wars would be fought, but eventually, from the chaos and brutality of the early days, a society would be born. Some of the villains would find only death on the new world, but for others it would be a second chance, and they would find redemption. The whole tale, once told, would span decades. None of the villains would ever return to Earth. (Nor did they have to. This was an ELSEWORLDS series).

JoeUser on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I recently read the Essential X-Men book, and I'm curious...do they ever use Lucifer anymore? He appeared multiple times in the early days of the team, but I can't think of any recent appearances of him.

Lucascraft on
    edited June 2008
    He's dead

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Zeromus wrote: »

His pitch was amazing

Expound.

Here's his blog post about it.
    GRRM wrote:
    It was an Elseworlds series from day one, however. A "what if" story. When Britain sent convicts to Australia, they were transported "for the term of your natural life," and that was the premise of our story too. There was no escape. The planet was in another galaxy, millions of light years away, accessible only by Boom Tube. We wanted to tell a story that would span decades. Characters would die, would change, would marry, would have children. Wars would be fought, but eventually, from the chaos and brutality of the early days, a society would be born. Some of the villains would find only death on the new world, but for others it would be a second chance, and they would find redemption. The whole tale, once told, would span decades. None of the villains would ever return to Earth. (Nor did they have to. This was an ELSEWORLDS series).

that would have been really neat.

DouglasDanger on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    man, that sounds fucking cool

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • EdS25EdS25 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Okay I've got a few questions - some of these have been sort of hinted at in other threads but I'm looking for some more definitive answers.

#1 (very general) - is it worth trying to keep comics in good condition? I bag and board, and honestly, it just makes it that much more of a pain to grab something I want to read. As far as I can tell unless it's golden age, USM #1 or ASM #300 it won't be worth more than cover price anyway.

#2 (follow up) - is everything going digital? I like flipping through a hardcopy as much as the next guy but a nice clear comic, "on demand" and without 30 ads is starting to get really tempting. Especially when there are things I want to read but not necessarily pay $3 an issue for.

#3 - is Whedon pretty much out? AXM is probably my favorite book and I'm a little worried about Ellis. (this question could also be will Ellis ruin AXM?)

#4 (related to 3) I've never read anything by Moore - is he gonna fuck up Runaways? - even though I love(d) AXM I haven't been too crazy about Whedon's arc on Runaways, and do think it needs a reboot)

EdS25 on
    Currently Playing : FE:Awakening, AC:NL
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    #1- Unless it's a few decades old, or exceptionally rare, probably not.

#2- Marvel has a digital service, but it sucks. Some smaller companies are trying it out, but I don't know how it's doing. I definitely see things moving in that direction though. I think the main concern right now is that if comic companies go digital, and half their customers start buying digital comics, but the other half doesn't, that will essentially kill off the direct market stores. If those people who at first refused to buy digital copies still don't even after it becomes difficult/impossible to buy hard copies, then the comic industry permanently loses a huge chunk of its customers. But with the proliferation of electronic devices capable of displaying comics, and things like the Amazon Kindle and iTunes, I think it's just a matter of time. Look at Japan. Digital comics are apparently huge over there, and slowly making the hard copies of comics obsolete, as evidenced by their falling sales.

#3- The massive delays on his projects have probably told Whedon he's not cut out for monthly comics. But I'm sure he'll revisit comics every now and then, in one form or another. I doubt Ellis will ruin AXM. It'll definitely be a different book, but the guys knows his shit.

#4- Terry Moore's responsible for Strangers in Paradise, a very character-driven indie book that won him a ton of critical praise, and a few awards. So I wouldn't worry about the character portion of the book. I'm curious to see if he can pull off standard comic book action/adventure, but he's a more than competent writer, so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Munch on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    EdS25 wrote: »
    Okay I've got a few questions - some of these have been sort of hinted at in other threads but I'm looking for some more definitive answers.

#1 (very general) - is it worth trying to keep comics in good condition? I bag and board, and honestly, it just makes it that much more of a pain to grab something I want to read. As far as I can tell unless it's golden age, USM #1 or ASM #300 it won't be worth more than cover price anyway.

#2 (follow up) - is everything going digital? I like flipping through a hardcopy as much as the next guy but a nice clear comic, "on demand" and without 30 ads is starting to get really tempting. Especially when there are things I want to read but not necessarily pay $3 an issue for.

#3 - is Whedon pretty much out? AXM is probably my favorite book and I'm a little worried about Ellis. (this question could also be will Ellis ruin AXM?)

#4 (related to 3) I've never read anything by Moore - is he gonna fuck up Runaways? - even though I love(d) AXM I haven't been too crazy about Whedon's arc on Runaways, and do think it needs a reboot)

1) Mine come bagged and boarded by default, so I don't really worry about that. Also, I'm in the process of binding my single issues of specific runs into hardcovers. Example:
    imgp0228jw2.jpg These are actually my books from Knightfall, Quest, End and a bunch of other Batman titels that lack hardcover treatment as well as about 20 volumes of Spider-Man, ranging from 1980-90's, for reference.

As you can see, I don't particularly subscribe to the speculator half of the arguement and I even bound my ASM #300, despite it being worth like $70-100 or whatever. To me, the hardcovers, designed to my specifications, are worth more than any single issues.

However, I wouldn't recommend just tossing singles under desks to balance them or anything. The bags and boards do keep them from getting ripped. If you don't care all that much about them valuewise, maybe trades are a better option for you, as they sit on shelves easily, have sturdier bindings and can be stuck anywhere with little worry.

2) Marvel and DC are so far behind on the digital movements that you won't be reading weekly comics online for decades. Marvel's current DCU is horrible to use, in my opinion, and staring at a screen and having to zoom in on the screen to read it is hard on the eyes for me.

Add in you don't own a tangible copy of the digital media from Marvel, only a subscription to view it, and it's just not worth my time to pay for it.

3) Ellis is insane. But that's a good thing. I woulnd't be worried too much about AXM. He should be more than capable of following up on it. And Whedon is, indeed, out of the Marvel sandbox for the time being. Not sure what his comic plans are right now, but he finishes his Runaways arc up next week.

4) Whedon nearly drove Runaways into the ground. Moore should be a godsend for the title. I have more faith in his future work on Spider-man Lvoes Mary Jane, but he should be ablet o at least handle the voices of the teenage Runaways flawlessly. Have to wait and see how he does on the super-hero aspect.

KVW on
This discussion has been closed.