As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TURN NULL]Space Myth 2: Fate of the Future!

ScooterScooter Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Critical Failures
Way back in the bygone days of 2006 there was a lil game called Space Myth. Due to much/some/a little/ok-some-guys-said-it-would-be-a-good-idea demand, it arises again!

You, leader of your freaky, tentacled, robotic, insectoid, psychic flying whale alien species, have suddenly gained technologies that will allow your people to expand into the stars! However, other species have gained the same knowledge and will be working to beat you to it! Or just beat you, some of them are into that. SM is a turn-based RPG/RTS/4X game, and we'll likely be running 2 turns a week for at least some number of weeks, maybe a couple months. Each turn you learn new techs, expand into new systems, and eat new people. I encourage reading the SM1 and SM2 wikis if you missed the first game to get a good background knowledge.

However, there's going to be a few changes around here. I'm going to be dropping the d20s and instead using FATE as a sort-of guide. I'm not that familar with Fate myself and will need some time to decide exactly how I want to balance the rules, but one thing I do like is their 'phase' method of character(civilization) creation. I haven't yet had time to do much deep thinking but I'm hoping to have rules pretty hashed out by the end of this weekend. So, if you played SM1, or read through it, and had some problems with the mechanics or concepts, now would be a good time to make suggestions. In addition to the Fate flavor, I've also done some Resource changes (see wiki) and am considering adding in Superprojects as a feature.

The Space Myth 2 wiki is: here and suggestions, comments, and signups are

here
|
|
\/

Edit:
TURN 14

map%20turn%2014%20small.jpg

key.jpg

Roster:
* Virii - Cynic Jester
* Prime Collective - TalonRazor
* The Combine - INNS
* The Ardek- Frowbakk
* Anandans & The Space Gods - Krata Lightblade
* The Varggath Cooperative- Abysmal Lynx
* Codettans - delroland
* The Concordance - The Lord of Hats
* The Dolphoids - SanderJK
* The Tvashtri - Shamus

Scooter on

• INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh my

INeedNoSalt on
  • It BurnsIt Burns Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm in :winky:

It Burns on
    The slowest painter. Ever.
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm interested, I followed the old one a tiny bit but decided to not get involved.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited June 2008
    So I think with FATE you might be able to do away with the 'standard' ability list that we used in the first game, and instead let people design their own skills and etc for their faction

That would allow for some general interactions that wouldn't've existed in the earlier game (say, the Combine rocking out Ballistics 16 instead of Soldiering 16, so that a race with a high physical defense would have no trouble standing up to them, while a race with purely energy-based defense might be screwed.)

FATE itself is just more RP-friendly, overall, I think.

I'm wondering on how you'd want to handle things like resource gathering and culture attacks with this method though (Culture might just come down to using culture-related skills and aspects in the same way you'd run a battle, though)

INeedNoSalt on
  • Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    !signup

Missed this one the last time around, not making that mistake again.

Cynic Jester on
  • TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Scoots, you know I'm in. If you need help hashing out rules or something, I'm always on #bombfell.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
    edited June 2008
    I want dibs on humanity again :O

INeedNoSalt on
  • FrowbakkFrowbakk Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    OK, I'm in this time around.

Frowbakk on
    Your sig was too tall.
  • SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The Cilids might just return to sucker alien planets into joining their Empire with nice furniture and strippers.

SUPERSUGA on
  • KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Consider this an official expression of great and vast interest. I would love to be a part of this. I'm reading Your Wiki now. This is bolded and italicized for great jumpy happy joyness.

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
  • JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    In like Huck Finn!

EDIT: Just read the wiki. Good conversion of FATE to use our skills. For some reason I never thought of that... (dumb?)

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dunno if I'll be able to participate in this.

Maybe.

MechMantis on
  • Abysmal LynxAbysmal Lynx Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man, was Space Myth that long ago? Count me in.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm in. Do we post species stats here or PM them? Not that I have mine done yet, but so that I know where to post when I do have it done.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
    edited June 2008
    I am going to make slightly less hateful Humans this time around I think

If anyone else also wants to make a straight-up Earthborn human race, you should PM me so we can figure out a point of divergence and be awesome

INeedNoSalt on
  • The Lord of HatsThe Lord of Hats Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I saw the words 'your civilization', and knew, without doubt, that I had to be in.

The Lord of Hats on
    edited June 2008
    scooter failed to link it but the FATE rules: http://www.faterpg.com/dl/FATE2fe.pdf

INeedNoSalt on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Actually I totally did.

When the rules have been more or less settled I'll post what's required for the official signups. I figure we can hash out ideas this weekend, start official signups Sunday, then do the first turn next weekend.

Scooter on
    edited June 2008
    I totally missed it

INeedNoSalt on
    edited June 2008
    Original Spacemyth: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=9668&highlight=Space+Myth

Original Spacemyth OOC: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=9486&highlight=Space+Myth&page=3

A quote from two years ago with merit:
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »
    I think it would be awesome if we could have the occasional "galactic council" meeting via IRC, in character of course. Could have some pretty interesting results I'd think.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hurray. Woo.

There's a strong chance that I'd be down with this.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The Riisaan representative raises all four tentacles in affirmation of their intent to explore unknown space with the aid of these new technologies.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    !signup

This sounds interesting, let's see where it leads.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I am going to make slightly less hateful Humans this time around I think

Oh come on Salt.

Remember how you and I got to the edge of apocalyptic warfare but didn't have the chance to start it?

Let the the flames of war between the Combine and the Wargh consume the universe.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • WarWolf95WarWolf95 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm in.

WarWolf95 on
    edited June 2008
    I believe I can reprise my role as the W.A.R.G.H.

warghbanner4.gif

Maybe we'll have some more warmongers this time around.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man, pbwiki puts watermarks on now?

Scooter on
    edited June 2008
    As the orks?

I'm still totally tempted to play hyper-violent humans again, but I might end up with a different, equally violent race.

Edit: In fact, I'm thinking something like Starship Trooper's Arachnids + Ender's Game's Formics, except instead of one huge Hive, it's numerous smaller Hives (with their homeworld being home to dozens of huge hives, and each colonized planet being home to many smaller hives)

INeedNoSalt on
  • Abysmal LynxAbysmal Lynx Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think I'm going to go with this for my species' logo.

varggathemblempc9.png

Its a sun surrounded by leaves. It also kind of looks like their eye.

Their a species of carnivorous plant beasts.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    What if my species doesn't believe in imagery

Do I still need a logo

INeedNoSalt on
    edited June 2008
    If I get an image, it's not going to be created by my race. They can't see, because they're going to be living sound (it would've been plants, but Lynx got to that first). They've got an amazing anthem, though.

The Lord of Hats on
    edited June 2008
    I am finished working on the basic concept of my species. It's basic, but it's enough for me to be happy with.
    Basically I'm going to be playing a dual-culture. On the one hand, you've got the Anandans, who were up until very recently a somewhat slow race technologically speaking. They found no real value in learning, but instead had fallen into complacency as a species. They weren't even warlike, anymore, and they had nothing much of value about them left.

Then things changed. The first intra-system spaceship was launched, although nobody much cared at the time, and began to explore the system. Probes had, of course, been launched, but again, nobody much cared. The last few had been lost, but the scientists in charge of the launch were confident all would go well with the launch of their manned vessel.

The Anandan ship approached the fifth planet in the system, a gas giant they'd always just called "The red one." There'd been other names, in history, of course, but they'd fallen into disuse decades previous. When it came near to the fifth planet, the ship found itself caught in a gravity well significantly stronger than expected, and was drawn in inexorably.

Unfortunately, the ship did not escape the well, and its crew was killed. But that was not the end. The gas giant was not, as thought, uninhabited. Rather, it was inhabited by a race of large, tentacled creatures, who'd evolved in the immense pressures of the gas giant's interior, and it was these creatures that had drawn the Anandan vessel in. They were a high advanced species, at least in comparison to the Anandans, and had little trouble reverse-engineering the ship's destroyed circuitry and learning quite a bit from it about the Anandans. Even worse, the gas-dwellers were a highly telepathic species, and the Anandans were far from strong-willed. They then turned their space-faring communications devices on the planet Ananda and contacted the Anandans.

Over the course of the next decade, the Anandan culture underwent rapid growth and change. The gas-dwellers had identified themselves as gods to the Anandans, and had "gifted" their "children" with "vast stores of knowledge according to their worthiness". Not all Anandans accepted the truth of this, but the ones who did were gifted with much better technology and quickly usurped global control. Within the decade the Anandans were fully under the yoke of their "Star Gods", and had fallen into a deep religious worship of their new masters. The "star gods" gifted the worthy with "great inspiration", and then began to make requests of their followers.

Now the Anandans seek to expand their spheres of influence, to grow and populate new stars, so that they might follow the eternal whims of their Star Gods. The gas-dwellers themselves, of course, couldn't care less, as long as they recieve their due and don't have to risk themselves in the search for new homes. Where the Anandans colonize more normal planets, the gas-dwellers search out gas giants, and seek more and more control over the populace in their spheres of influence.

The gas-dwellers, who as yet I haven't named (though I may yet just keep calling them the Star Gods) do most of the researching, and have a very strong artistic culture. The Anandan civilization will be strongly cultural, though in reality most of their culture will be due to the gas-dwellers attempts at mind-control.

I'm looking forward to the final determination of the rules, so I can actually put the stats together. However, the preliminary stats I've figured out according to the SM2 wiki are as follows.
    Phase 1: Anandan Downturn
    Intelligence=0

Soldiering+1=1

Resource Richness+1=1

Culture=0

Espionage=0

Expansive+2=2

Phase 2: Anandan First Spaceflight
    Intelligence+1=1

Soldiering+1=2

Resource Richness+1=2

Culture=0

Espionage=0

Expansive+1=3

Phase 3: That Star Gods Speak
    Intelligence+2=3

Soldiering=2

Resource Richness=2

Culture+2=2

Espionage=0

Expansive=3

Phase 4: The Anandan Religious Revolution
    Intelligence+1=4

Soldiering+1=3

Resource Richness=2

Culture+2=4

Espionage=0

Expansive=3

Phase 5: The Reconstruction
    Intelligence+1=5

Soldiering=3

Resource Richness+1=3

Culture+2=6

Espionage=0

Expansive=3

Phase 6: The First Wave of Exploration
    Intelligence+1=6

Soldiering=3

Resource Richness=3

Culture+2=8

Espionage=0

Expansive+1=4

KrataLightblade on
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What if my species doesn't believe in imagery

Do I still need a logo

You could post the logo that other races use when alluding to them. :)

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
    edited June 2008
    man this better not turn into some intergalactic hippy hugfest like last time

who's going to help me fill the void of space with as much blood as possible?

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited June 2008
    I will probably join you in your quest, though not for it's own sake. The Concordance is a highly expansionist civilization that goes in big for cultural control, and when that doesn't work, blowing heads up by being really really loud.

The Lord of Hats on
  • TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I am thinking of playing another religious, crusading race. Either a single entity, like The Beast from the Homeworld Series or descolada from Ender's series or a crusading empire of various aliens.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    man this better not turn into some intergalactic hippy hugfest like last time

who's going to help me fill the void of space with as much blood as possible?

I'm going to play a race of insects, basically giant 'individual' hives with billions of limbs each

We will destroy and destroy

INeedNoSalt on
    edited June 2008
    The stuff I posted above is all preliminary, none of it's final yet, but I'm liking it. I'm imagining the Anandans as a tripedal race, similarly with three arms, one set in the center of where a "chest" would be if this were a human. I'm seeing two backwards legs and one foreleg, and a sort of rolling movement when they walk. Three eyes, too, possibly each "hand" has three (or six, maybe) fingers... I think threes might figure prominently in some of what they do and build.

KrataLightblade on
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I might be interested in this. It sounds... enticing.

Hacksaw on
    edited June 2008
    Oh I meant to ask:

Are we using our Phases to determine Aspects, or do they just set our skills up?

INeedNoSalt on