As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Big Orgasm

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I want to have all my bases covered so I am going to convert to every religion simultaniously before I die.

Best case scenario is that one of them turns out to be right and I am whisked into heaven on a fiery chariot driven by Xenu and forged out of obsidian in the halls of the Elder Gods.

The only problem with that idea is that most gods have a pretty firm do-not-compete clause. So you're just going to wind up pissing of Yaweh by paying homage to Baal, and Allah is going to want to roast you for hanging out with Vishnu, and honestly Huitzilopochtli is going to want to fuck you around in any case because that dude's sort of a dick.

If you're going to rock Pascal's Wager in a multidenominational world you're probably going to want to avoid as much religious instruction as possible and treat other people really, really well. That way you stand a pretty good shot of getting into one of the shallow hells for "virtuous nonbelievers" and by all accounts they're not too shabby. At least compared to some of the more exotic options available in terms of boiling lakes of excrement and demons with sharp objects.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    An afterlife would be the shit. Just doing whatever you want for all eternity

Uhhh

That is not what most afterlives are.

Straightzi on
  • Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    BlackDove wrote: »
    I know many have died before me. It's a comfort to know I'm not doing anything original.

Believe it or not, this is where a lot of my confidence stems from.

"To live is to die" ect.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Straightzi wrote: »

Uhhh

Well I mean an awesome afterlife of course. Like heaven

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Straightzi wrote: »

Uhhh

this doesn't really matter, as all theories about the afterlife are equally worthless, no matter how much of them say the same

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    BlackDove wrote: »
    I know many have died before me. It's a comfort to know I'm not doing anything original.

Believe it or not, this is where a lot of my confidence stems from.

"To live is to die" ect.

What makes me happy is the disparity between the meaning of your life for yourself, and the meaning of your life in the grand scheme.
    In infinity, every fixed duration of time could just as well be nothing

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    the problem is that it's your soul that would be going to heaven, not your mind

your mind is all I wanna have fun

whereas your soul is all I wanna worship and go to church and yay god

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
    edited June 2008
    Man, screw your mind.

All doing mathematical calculation and data storage.

Your glands are where the party's at.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
    edited June 2008
    testicle heaven

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Something WittySomething Witty Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I want to have all my bases covered so I am going to convert to every religion simultaniously before I die.

Best case scenario is that one of them turns out to be right and I am whisked into heaven on a fiery chariot driven by Xenu and forged out of obsidian in the halls of the Elder Gods.

The only problem with that idea is that most gods have a pretty firm do-not-compete clause. So you're just going to wind up pissing of Yaweh by paying homage to Baal, and Allah is going to want to roast you for hanging out with Vishnu, and honestly Huitzilopochtli is going to want to fuck you around in any case because that dude's sort of a dick.

If you're going to rock Pascal's Wager in a multidenominational world you're probably going to want to avoid as much religious instruction as possible and treat other people really, really well. That way you stand a pretty good shot of getting into one of the shallow hells for "virtuous nonbelievers" and by all accounts they're not too shabby. At least compared to some of the more exotic options available in terms of boiling lakes of excrement and demons with sharp objects.

Way to go and complicate things.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
    edited June 2008
    Screw you guys when I die I'm gonna be playin hoops with Jesus

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
    edited June 2008
    You guys think Buddha would be a cool dude? I mean he seems friendly enough.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
    edited June 2008

he probably would
    I guess he'd be pretty amazed at the people calling themselves buddhists
    what with the "don't worship me" thing

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The idea that when I die I will completely cease to exist and not be able to think or anything completely baffles me. I would like to believe that there is something beyond death that is not writhing in agony in a lake of fire because I decided not to put all of my faith into something that I can't even prove exists. Reincarnation without all the karma crap seems to me like the absolute best thing that could happen.

SirToasty on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    SirToasty wrote: »
    The idea that when I die I will completely cease to exist and not be able to think or anything completely baffles me. I would like to believe that there is something beyond death that is not writhing in agony in a lake of fire because I decided not to put all of my faith into something that I can't even prove exists. Reincarnation without all the karma crap seems to me like the absolute best thing that could happen.

man, you want to come back to this fucking place?

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • oogmaroogmar Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

he probably would
    I guess he'd be pretty amazed at the people calling themselves buddhists
    what with the "don't worship me" thing

Hey, we've gotta call it something. The Taoists already got on "Tao". Nobody worships Buddha if they're Buddhist, they just understand that his teachings are the most profound way (tao, dammit) to enlightenment. "Buddhist" is easier to say than "People who base their lives around the teachings of and wish to emulate his ways due to his surpassing wisdom, but do not worship, the man who was Buddha."

That said, when I die, I want it to hurt really really badly.

For at least 5 minutes. If not a few months.

Lotta cancer going on in this family.

oogmar on
    Rane, you lazy bastard, you can shut the hell up.

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    edited June 2008
    Fallout wrote: »
    SirToasty wrote: »

man, you want to come back to this fucking place?
    At least if I do come back, I won't know what the hell it's like. Besides that, my life has always been pretty good. I enjoy it.

SirToasty on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    oogmar wrote: »
    That said, when I die, I want it to hurt really really badly.

boner alert

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited June 2008
    If I am going to follow a deity I want it to be a deity I could theoretically have a beer with in the afterlife.

Jesus seems like a pretty up-tight guy so I guess that's been ruled out, so what do you guys think?

Then again it is probably a bad idea to ask SE++ for help on this sort of thing.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • Kool-Aid GuyKool-Aid Guy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I remember reading that when you die, a large amount of the hallucinogenic chemical DMT is released from your pineal gland into your brain, causing you to trip balls and think psychic aliens are trying to contact you

Kool-Aid Guy on
    OH YEEEAAAAHHH
    edited June 2008
    If I am going to follow a deity I want it to be a deity I could theoretically have a beer with in the afterlife.

Jesus seems like a pretty up-tight guy so I guess that's been ruled out, so what do you guys think?

Then again it is probably a bad idea to ask SE++ for help on this sort of thing.

He turned water into wine so I think he's fine with sharing a beer with you

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
    edited June 2008
    If it's a drinking buddy you're looking for, you really can't go wrong with the Norse pantheon. They spent centuries getting folks to strip naked and hit people with axes solely on the promise of a really rocking kegger in the afterlife.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • KilljoyKilljoy __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008

this guy

ganesh.jpg

Killjoy on
    edited June 2008
    Honestly though I wanna hang out with Jesus. He's like Chris Angel only his magic is real

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
    edited June 2008
    I imagine Jesus to be a pretty chill dude.

I bet he is exactly how every person that enters Heaven imagines him. One person thinks he is the omnipotent, we-are-not-worthy guy, while another guy sees him as the dude you can go over and have a bar-b-que with.

But I'm more on science's side on this one. When your prayers are answered either now, later, or never, how is that different from what you want happening without divine intervention?

SirToasty on
    edited June 2008
    I dont know about Elephant Man over there and wine really isnt my thing, it could also just turn out to be Welch's Grape Juice which would be kind of dissapointing.

I think I like the whole Norse Pantheon idea, not only do I get to attend a wicked eternal kegger that after life would be far more metal than anything any other afterlife has to offer.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I dont know about Elephant Man over there and wine really isnt my thing, it could also just turn out to be Welch's Grape Juice which would be kind of dissapointing.

I think I like the whole Norse Pantheon idea, not only do I get to attend a wicked eternal kegger that after life would be far more metal than anything any other afterlife has to offer.

you only get to go to valhalla if you died a warrior's death

Shorty on
    edited June 2008
    What I was saying was Jesus is an alcoholic

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
    edited June 2008
    Shorty wrote: »

Sounds easy enough.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
    edited June 2008

i always forget that i want to go to valhalla when these threads come up

a much less bleak outlook than having your soul torn to shreds and strewn across the universe

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

Sounds easy enough.

okay

just thought I'd let you know

you don't get to go to valhalla if you die the straw death

Shorty on
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm gonna haunt the fuck out of everybody.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
    edited June 2008
    peter hamilton presented an interesting afterlife in the Night's Dawn trilogy

basically there is a soul made of pure energy, anchored to one's body, and it goes to a parallel dimension when you die

unfortunately the dimension is a black void of nothingness

but you can pass through it if you were a mentally balanced person before death

Shorty on
    edited June 2008

Sounds easy enough.

okay

just thought I'd let you know

you don't get to go to valhalla if you die the straw death
    I'm going to go down fighting yeah.

Probably like tie my beard to a large boulder and just swing it around at people like some swinging weapon of doom.

That is how vikings did it right?

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
    edited June 2008
    peter hamilton presented an interesting afterlife in the Night's Dawn trilogy

basically there is a soul made of pure energy, anchored to one's body, and it goes to a parallel dimension when you die

unfortunately the dimension is a black void of nothingness

but you can pass through it if you were a mentally balanced person before death

pass through it to where

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited June 2008
    An even blacker void?

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
    edited June 2008
    awesome

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • BoglesworthBoglesworth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    at the age of 19, death isn't something i think about too much. i'm sure i'll be afraid of it when i'm old because

a) i don't want to leave this life behind

b) i don't like being uncertain about what's next

Boglesworth on
    vic2b.jpg
  • Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I was going to make a thread about the afterlife. It would have been better.

I like to think that heaven is just being within a godlike, essentially good presence.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    When I was in fifth grade, I realized that I had used up at least an eighth of my own life. I knew that the majority of my remaining time, thought and energy would be spent maintaining life and that, eventually, I would lose and be irrevocably dead.

Most fifth graders don't think about stuff like that. I believe it contributed to me being so fucked up for a while. That, in turn, is largely responsible for my few positive qualities.

I was suicidal in the past. Depression left me severely apathetic. I didn't really care what happened, so when life got frustrating, annoying, or just dull, I'd think "Hey, why not try being dead?" It makes it hard to care about angsty pre-teens who cut themselves for attention. The only times I was really determined I was also extremely paranoid, so wasn't able to leave bed.

I don't really fear death. I got it out of my system at a young age. There's nothing to be done about it anyway.

I'm a crazy fundamentalist, so I believe that there is a part of a person the survives death. This part continues on in the same way it did while in the body, either worshiping God or isolated from him.

I might be a little obsessed with death. I tend to like morbid comedy and medieval memento moris fascinate me. I'd rather see a character die a meaningful death than survive. I tend not to talk about death too much, because people get creeped out.

laughingfuzzball on