As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Questions? Answers!- The General Questions Thread

• deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm pretty excited for Ellis. His run on Thunderbolts has been fantastic.

deadonthestreet on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I am terrified of Ellis' run on Astonishing X-Men

but I am delighted at Terry Moore on Runaways

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    But Ellis will make it worth reading!

He will clearly dedicate all his time to this book, since he has nothing else going on right now.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    speaking of ellis and ellis taking on way too much work
    what in the hell happened to
    dec073436eoc1.jpg

DouglasDanger on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    KVW, if you don't mind me asking, how much are those hardcovers setting you back? Because they look pretty damn awesome.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • EdS25EdS25 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Thanks for the answers guys - knew I came to the right place.

Ironically, it's Black Summer that makes me worried. Black Summer has had some great moments, but to me it's a little bit just shock for shock's sake. Not quite as much as the Blackgas cover posted in the other thread that's still giving me nightmares, but still. I really like how a mini focuses the writing into a cohesive arc but Black Summer seems like it could have gone on a couple more issues to flesh things out more (for example Tom's story). I wonder if the delay for the final issue is precisely that - they've got a lot to do in one book.

I might have to check out some of Ellis' more traditional stuff. I've only seen the psycho indie things, and although I love the use of "fuck" as punctuation and gore, it just doesn't fit AXM so my brain hurts thinking about how they go together.

EdS25 on
    Currently Playing : FE:Awakening, AC:NL
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    dec073436eoc1.jpg

A new issue came out like 2 weeks ago?

Also EdS25 - Try his thunderbolts run. While it's still pretty crazy, What he writes fits the characters.

Sharp101 on
    edited June 2008
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    dec073436eoc1.jpg

Also EdS25 - Try his thunderbolts run. While it's still pretty crazy, What he writes fits the characters.

Not in every case, his Songbird is barely recognizable.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Virral wrote: »
    KVW, if you don't mind me asking, how much are those hardcovers setting you back? Because they look pretty damn awesome.

It varies on how many you get done at once, how many extras you want on it (bookmarks, type of covering [leather, buckrum, etc], size of the die on the cover, etc) and also where you get it done (ie, what bindery you go to), but mine cost me about $40-60 a book (yes, mine was about $800 for 25-30 hardcovers, give or take, which is only slightly more than buying a hardcover from Marvel or DC at $20-25 a pop).

That adds in the cost of the die, spread out over the book. I went with big ones, like the Batman emblem you can see, which cost like $200 (pretty cool paperweight or reuseable later on). But on 10+ volumes, it drops that cost down a bit. You don't have to get it either.

This also excludes the cost of the actual books. Most you can get in back issue bins for a dollar or on ebay for next to nothing, but I've seen people bind Miracle Man comics and other really expensive books.

I also had about 25-30 books done at once, reducing my fees a bit. It's also a small scale bindery in Canada near where I live, so I didn't have to ship them and the place I originally heard about binding of comics was in America from David Banks and his were cheaper than that, but would have cost me an arm and leg in shipping.

Pretty much just need to go see a bindery near you and ask them about it. Might look at you funny the first time, but it's not a difficult process and it can easily be done by any bindery.

Oh, and my books have like 25-30 issues in each volume and there's no gutter loss (images lost in the crease) and all the pages have been trimmed and cut (you can see them barely in the image above). I also made my own interior pages and printed them out, so all the books look professionally done (I modelled the interiors after the Kraven's Last Hunt Premiere Hardcover) and match. Added table of contents, couple character bio pages for each book, the life of reilly article for the Clone Saga books and a few blank pages that I can hopefully get sketches or autographs on if I ever go to a Con.

edit: here's an interior page for reference. It's been modified for my brother, who's doing the same thing as me (bastard removed me as Book Designer!), and it looks blurred to shit for some reason, but if you have seen the Kraven's Last Hunt HC, you'll recognize it.
    hcrightpageact1vc6.jpg

KVW on
  • EdS25EdS25 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wait did Black Summer #7 actually ship? I'm fairly positive I'm the only one at my shop who collects it so I'd be pissed if it wasn't pulled.

EdS25 on
    Currently Playing : FE:Awakening, AC:NL
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    dec073436eoc1.jpg

Who's got two thumbs and doesn't care?

This guy.

Sars_Boy on
    edited June 2008
    I realize I'm probably the only Songbird fan on the planet

but it bugs me

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    go be munch somewhere else

we're talking about Ellis here

and his Astonishing is going to be great

I'd be more worried about delays on art, to be honest

also hey, Cassady is done with AXM

thank fucking christ we can finally get Planetary 27

Sars_Boy on
    edited June 2008
    cassady to die tomorrow.

planetary 27 to never come out

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    cassady to die tomorrow.

Is Sars Boy a bad enough dude to save him?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2008
    I would rape his corpse out of pure spite.

Sars_Boy on
    edited June 2008
    cassady to die tomorrow.

Is Sars Boy a bad enough dude to save him?

no

he will not get burgers with the president

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What was the point of Heroes Reborn? Was it initially meant to be kind of an Ultimate Universe thing which failed to take off, or was it just a way of killing characters off without really killing them off that was never meant to last?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2008
    in the 90s Marvel's traditional heroes were not doing so hot, it was all X-Men all the time basically

so they thought doing a hard reset of all thier classic franchies through an X-men event was a good way to get new readers to read Avengers/FF/Iron Man I guess

edit: and in some cases it was needed I suppose.. wasn't Heroes Reborn what undid Teen Tony?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    dec073436eoc1.jpg

black summer 6 came out quite a few weeks ago. i'm thinking it was the beginning of may, but the end of april and almost all of may were really crazy months for me, so i might be wrong

edit:
    avatar press just returned my email:
    Douglas - It is printing next week, so should be out shortly. Thanks for your support of Avatar!

DouglasDanger on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I have a question.

Has it been revealed anywhere yet who was stuck in the rod at the end of Lightning Saga? I thought it was Barry, but from DCU#0 it seems that that's not the case.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    edit: and in some cases it was needed I suppose.. wasn't Heroes Reborn what undid Teen Tony?

I thought Heroes Reborn introduced Teen Tony.

Then Heroes Return undid it.

I don't really care enough to wiki it.

Munch on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    dec073436eoc1.jpg

Yeah, sort of got the impression he didn't really know what to do with her or Chen. I guess they're sort of alone amongst the cast of Thunderbolts as they're both relatively normal, decent people, as opposed to incredibly damaged (Penance) or just a terrible human being (basically everyone else)

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
    edited June 2008
    I have a question.

Has it been revealed anywhere yet who was stuck in the rod at the end of Lightning Saga? I thought it was Barry, but from DCU#0 it seems that that's not the case.

It should be revealed in Legion of 3 Worlds, but my guess is Bart since it appears to be Flash related.

KVW on
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    KVW wrote: »
    I have a question.

It should be revealed in Legion of 3 Worlds, but my guess is Bart since it appears to be Flash related.

DC Universe #0 had Barry Allen, who returned, mysteriously. Hopefully, this wasn't due to lightning rod shenanigans, leaving Bart as the only possibility. But then again, that same issue had references to Legion of 3 Worlds.

TeaSpoon on
    edited June 2008
    Munch wrote: »

I thought Heroes Reborn introduced Teen Tony.

Then Heroes Return undid it.

I don't really care enough to wiki it.

nope, I just checked.

Heroes Reborn is what undoes Teen Tony

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I read some of Alan Moore's Green Lantern stories recently, and to put it simply, they were fuck awesome. I think I'm gonna try to pick up some of the recent Sinestro Corps War issues since everybody seems to have loved them, but I don't really understand the state of GL comics right now. Is there just one series which I can subscribe to or a bunch of spinoffs or what? And is there a trade out collecting all of Moore's run, cause that would be wonderful.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    there are 2 Green Lantern books right now

there's the Green Lantern title, which stars Hal Jordan and takes place largely on earth

then there's Green Lantern Corps which is basically about everyone else (Guy, John, Kyle, Killowag, and some other newer lanterns) and takes place largely in space.

the 2 books crossed over for the Sinestro Corps War, both are awesome

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What are some really good Doctor Doom stories, and where can I find them?

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    The two that stand out in my mind are A) Books of Doom a miniseries about his origins by Ed Brubaker and B) Fantastic Four Vol. 1 by Mark Waid which contains my favorite Doom story ever.

Both of which are on Amazon.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited June 2008
    Blankspace wrote: »
    The two that stand out in my mind are A) Books of Doom a miniseries about his origins by Ed Brubaker and B) Fantastic Four Vol. 1 by Mark Waid which contains my favorite Doom story ever.

Both of which are on Amazon.

if he's going to read Unthinkable he should also read Authoratative Action

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    there are 2 Green Lantern books right now

there's the Green Lantern title, which stars Hal Jordan and takes place largely on earth

then there's Green Lantern Corps which is basically about everyone else (Guy, John, Kyle, Killowag, and some other newer lanterns) and takes place largely in space.

the 2 books crossed over for the Sinestro Corps War, both are awesome

Awesome, thanks.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I have a question

Why did I wait so long to read Brubaker's Daredevil? Because man.

Also, his run totally makes me curious to see how he'd handle a really gritty Daredevil MAX series. Do it, Marvel!

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Man there wouldn't be much difference between MAX Daredevil and what we have.

It's already gritty and depressing as fuck.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited June 2008
    I suppose.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited June 2008
    I found Brubaker's DD run to have too many highs and lows. It lacks consistency of any sort. We'll have one fuck awesome issue followed by what amounts to filler (still well written, though), similar to what JSA is going through, in my eyes, of late. Aside from the Devil in Cell Block D, which was easily the best story arc of his run, it's been just a rollercoaster ride of consistency. I think he needs someone like Fraction or Rucka as a co-writer to rein him in and keep him focused or a better editor to do the same thing. Still a great series, but could be so much better if he ironed out the kinks.

KVW on
    edited June 2008
    I have not read beyond the Devil in Cell Block D yet

D:

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited June 2008
    Zero have you read Bendis' Daredevil

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    No, I must get around to doing that. Brubaker's run is actually the first Daredevil stuff I've read outside of Daredevil: Yellow.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I haven't read Brubakers stuff because I refuse to buy softcovers when I know they are going to produce a Brubaker DD omnibus sooner or later. I have the Bendis hardcovers and I'm damned if I'm buying a stack of little softcovers only for them to announce the HCs/omnibus the following week.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
This discussion has been closed.