As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 4E - IC] Silent Horizon

IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatterSeattle, WARegistered User regular
edited December 2008 in Critical Failures
Herein lie the less violent adventures of this bunch of folks.

- This thread is for roleplaying and anything else done in-character without the need of DM supervision -

Getting drunk: DC 10
If there are girls there, doing them: DC 15 (+5 DC if you are drunk, -5 DC if they are drunk)
Yes you can have a Mountain Dew.

I'll figure out the name of the town you're in later. It's a smallish hub town, not especially important, but it's a place to meet people from different places, and it has managed not to get destroyed by giant monsters for a whole six months.

Incenjucar on

• Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Epic fails all around.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    ( So, looks like we have a lot to discuss, neh? )

Zen Vulgarity on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    --- The Kobold with the Spade-shaped Shield ---

This kobold has had a very long night. After watching its comrades get mowed down by adventurers, and seeing its own life blood slipping away, it could go on no longer and fell before the mighty will of Magnus and his deadly fellows. Broken and bound, the kobold bears scars from earlier than this night, an old scar on its scales matches the descriptions of those who have had their voice boxes removed in Bellhaven.

Incenjucar on
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Tor grabs the kobold by the collar and lifts him up to eye level.

"What know you of the events afoot, kobold? Speak!"

Hacksaw on
    edited June 2008
    The kobold makes a soft gasp, flapping its mouth and flicking its tongue against its teeth, but failing to make anything resembling a word. It tries to glance down at its hands.

Incenjucar on
    edited June 2008
    The crimson dragon would look over to the Tiefling for a brief moment. "If you have a spell to help us get some rest, that would be appreciated. I will discuss you're willingness to hit your allies later." The young dragonborn would move over to the kobold, clearly noting the tough day that little warrior must have had. The Shame Bearer would rub the top of his scaled head, inspecting his wounds. Although quite dense, the wounds on the Kobold's throat looked quite...queer, to say the least. With a motion of his hand, he would call over the tricky Eldarian, trying to get his expertise on the wound. With that, he would try to see if the Kobold would understand Draconic symbology, lest he be too scared to speak. Large, scaled hand would pick up one of the many twigs on the floor, using the other to brush away the clutter and allow some room. His now free hand motioned for the Human to let him down, shaking his head for the moment. "Enough. He's clearly frightened." Writing in the ground, he would write (Draconic) "Do you understand these words?"

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited June 2008
    "Your hands are bound with my rope, beast. Unless you wish to have it around your neck, as well, I suggest you say something."

Hacksaw on
    edited June 2008
    The kobold strains towards the draconic symbols, while doing its best to cower to Tor, the fear of upsetting the larger creatures sending shivers through its body, though the night is warm. Still it only gasps at the demands, whisper-soft.

Incenjucar on
    edited June 2008
    "That is enough.Your words mean nothing to him. Let him down. This is my problem to deal with."

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited June 2008
    (Draconic) "Do you understand, little one of scales?"

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited June 2008
    "Why don't you speak, creature? Did the battle rob you of your voice?"

Hacksaw on
    edited June 2008
    The kobold nods vigorously, then ducks back under Tor's gaze, like a beaten dog expecting its masters strike.

To Tor's question, it shakes its head, then looks away mournfully, a deeper trouble stealing its attention for a spare moment. But clearly, it knew what was asked.

Incenjucar on
    edited June 2008
    The dragon looked at the Human. "Tell me, Human. If you were as weak willed as many Kobolds, and you just saw all your friends slaughtered by a man in plate and a dragon-kind, wouldn't you at least say something?"

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited June 2008
    (Draconic) "My comrade knows much of battle, little of talk, it seems. What is your name, little one."

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited June 2008
    "Something's amiss, here, dragonling; not one of these creatures has dared make more than a peep in our presence. Something obviously has them frightened of their own voices."

Hacksaw on
    edited June 2008
    "Does that sound familiar to you, Human? Or to you, Fey-kind?"

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited June 2008
    The kobold manages little more than to breathe in reply to Magnus. It looks like it's trying to produce words, but they simply do not come.

Incenjucar on
    edited June 2008
    Tor gets down on a knee and inspects the kobold's throat.

"Are you simply too afraid to speak, kobold, or are you actually unable to?"

Hacksaw on
    edited June 2008
    "Tch. Like it has no tongue. Tah-or(Tor), Mah-sar-ah-tee(Maserati). Your thoughts in kind?"

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited June 2008
    "I remember the whales were suffering for their noises. Perhaps this whelp and his fallen brethren have suffered similarly."

Hacksaw on
    edited June 2008
    "Yes, and maybe it can describe what exactly has been troubling them." The crimson one turned back toward the kobold. (Draconic) "Do you understand the Dragon Tongue as well as the Common? And, importantly, can you speak?"

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited June 2008
    The kobold nods to Tor with as much vigor as it is able in its rather sad state, then casts a glance northwest, towards the shore further north.

It then nods to Magnus, sorrow filling its eyes.

Incenjucar on
    edited June 2008
    The dragon rubbed the top of his head again. (Draconic) "Can you write? Or read?"

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited June 2008
    It nods, twice.

Incenjucar on
    edited June 2008
    Tor gets to his feet and moves towards the north shore.

"Something is amiss..."

Hacksaw on
    edited June 2008
    The child of the Haradin would look around to his compatriots. "Anyone a writing instrument and a scroll of some sort, something makeshift perhaps?"

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Maserati was so engrossed in his newly won bottles, bottles of what he didn't quite know yet, that he had completely missed Magnus's first attempt to call him. He resigned the bottles to be unknown for now, and slipped them surreptitiously into a compartment of his backpack before turning his attention to the other item he procured, an amulet. He noted the seashell shape, still scouring the landscape for a sign of water, then made to turn it over, and in doing so noticed that it pryable. He opened the locket and uncovered a rune in a familiar looking way of writing, but none he knew of first hand. Then he heard his name and looked up to the Dragonborn, and the memory flooded back to him. Smirking slightly, he moved forth to answer the beast-like man's call.

"You rang?"

Goose! on
    edited June 2008
    "Well, your feet are not nimble enough when beckoned, neh?" The dragon let a toothy grin. "The creature's throat is a similar wound to those of the village. Do you know any more than either of us of the incident? Also, prey tell, do you have anything to write with"

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited June 2008
    (Oh thank god someone is actually looking at things)

Tor looks north along the shore -- which lies beyond the rise they had found themselves on, a natural water break -- avoiding the dangerous sand piles that Finwe pointed out, and sees large, dark masses in the sea, intent on the shore. Further off a strange structure rises above the shore, looking like two arms raised to the sky and grasping a bowl. A statue or a tower of some sort, perhaps.

Incenjucar on
    edited June 2008
    Tor looks out across the landscape, intent on divining its secrets with his eyes.

"What are you, shapes, that beckon shoreward?"

Hacksaw on
    edited June 2008
    History check for Tor. I will trust you.

This time.

Incenjucar on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    "Write?" Maserati asked, with a quirked eyebrow, and he shook his head. "Nah, sorry mate. I don't get much writing done, m'self. As for the wound...I'm no doctor, but I can take a look, I suppose. I'd only ask that you take a loot at this for me, kindly. It looks like your native tongue," Maserati said, and he held the open locket out to Magnus. Without another word, he leaned closer to the frightened kobold and investigated the wound that looked so familiar to them already.
    Perception check for the kobold's missing vocal chord/box wound
    1d20 6=23

Goose! on
    edited June 2008
    It looks more like surgery than a battle scar. No sword wound heals that cleanly.

Incenjucar on
    edited June 2008
    Tor looks across the landscape.

Hacksaw on
    edited June 2008
    "Hate to break it to ya, mate, but that ain't a sword," He stood back from the wounded creature, and an involuntary shudder overtook him

"Hell of a thing, innit? Someone comin around stealin yer voice."

Goose! on
    edited June 2008
    Tor's memory grasps hold of what he sees. There is a temple that is also a light house out this way, equally kept by the clergy of Pelor and of Melora, called the Welcoming Dawn. It is, however, not made use of at this time of the year. Perhaps a good place to rest weary feet. Scaley or otherwise.

Incenjucar on
    edited June 2008
    A grimace on his face came. Twofold: the throat and the locket. "Well, the voice is most unsettling. Also, Maser, it seems we have killed at least one couple of kobolds betrothed to each other. At it seems this one was related to the one wielding two swords earlier." A deep sigh came from the dragon, a hint of frost coming from his mouth. "The locket is their names interwoven in Draconic. It's an heirloom." A quick toss back to the Eldarian as he looked over to the Kobold. (Draconic) "We were assumed that you were the culprits here. We've made a very grave error. But, for now, we must do other things than mourn the dead." The dragon sighed a bit as he dipped the stick in still coursing blood on the floor. "This is all we have." The dragon took his adventurer's kit and laid the backpack out in front of him for the Kobold to write in his comrade's blood. "We have no writing tools. Unless you know of any, this is the only way. Please, write."

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited June 2008
    "Fellows, perhaps we should check the Welcoming Dawn? They might know better what ails this region than the kobold."

Hacksaw on
    edited June 2008
    ( Let's wait until tomorrow for when Greeps and Quizzy get back. And someone should comment on the blood writing part. )

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited June 2008
    "Ah. I see," he said sadly, somewhat falsely, and curled his fist back around the locket, pocketing it for the moment, then turning back to the kobold and Dragonborn.

"Y'know mate, I don't think that's necessary. Why not use a stick in the dirt? Or ask ole flamey to burn it inta yer skin. Come to think of it...He's got a spell book, so he oughta have somethin to write with, ain't he?" He offered, looking a little bewildered at the Dragon's logic.

He then turned to Tor, and shook his head, "Nah, mate, there'll be nobody there 'round this time. But it ain't a bad place to make use of for other things, eh?"
    Going off Eladrin education, and the racial bonus to history, that he'd know that too. Could make a roll if you like

Goose! on