As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Intra-forum relations.

BroloBrolo BroseidonLord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
I've been posting on PA for quite a while, and the longer I've spent here the more I've noticed that the individual boards (especially the larger ones - SE++, G&T and D&D), don't mingle with one another.

Personally I tend to hang around in SE more than anything, occasionally poking my head into G&T and the tech section there. Sometimes I read a bit of D&D, but I find it's not particular easy to jump into some of the longer, more active threads. It's also a little disconcerting to find that I don't know any of the posters, as very few of the regulars there are people who post in SE++.

While I'm not the person to be making any changes to how the forums are structured, I'd like to know if anyone else has had similar experiences, and whether or not they think the forum segmentation is a good/bad thing.

I'd love to see some intra-forum activities (kinda like Trivia with Ramius from a while ago), which will get people from the various boards mingling and talking with each other. Perhaps some kind of tri-forum tournament. But maybe something more drastic, like some kind of horrific merger (D&G&T&DSE++) is in the cards. It's up to you.
Haha, no it isn't. It's up to Tube.

Brolo on

• LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I thought the Awesome Posts board sort of served this purpose.

I agree there's fragmentation, but from the sheer number of posts and active posters, it's a bit of an intractable problem to keep up with everything. It's not necessarily a bad thing.

My only issue is that the fragmentation is that I used to go into G&T way way more than I do now, as that was where the Mac Thread was. Now it's in the tech tavern, I don't... but the Mac thread is much better for it. I just don't read G&T any more.

H&A 4 lyfe BTW. We'd rock all of you in any sort of tournament, because we don't have hearts of stone like the rest of you ;)

Lewisham on
  • The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Intra forum activities might be good, though I can say with absolute certainty that a giant merger would be the biggest and worst clusterfuck that this board has ever seen. We're just different people. Some prefer to argue the merits of one console over the other until the cows come home. Some don't. Some would say revealing that there is dynamic music in a game is a spoiler. And others wouldn't give two shits.

If people want to interact with other groups by all means go ahead and if you want to stay with the same core of posters, do that too. I don't think they should be forced to interact with each other. That's going to a party and being forced by your host to talk with everyone in the room, even the crazy dude pissing in the corner even though you just wanted to talk to a couple of your buddies over there by the couch.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I lurk on 6 of the sub-fora now, its just grown as I've got more interested in stuff, but only post on well, actually, all 6 now. they are a bit different to each other, but generally, quite lovely.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think the zombie infestation was a good example of things we can do as a board together.

DarkPrimus on
  • mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I kind of like the forced mingling, like when we had the PA holiday forum merge. A great most of us can play nice, but its easy to feel overwhelmed sometimes when just looking at the topic lists.

mrsnackroad on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The awesome post section definitely serves toward this purpose.

Henroid on
  • CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What about Draw a Horse? Have you already forgotten.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think each forum has its purpose, and so it baffles me to see "hate" directed towards one forum or another. Problem is, the very division of the boards probably leads to the groups that don't like each other, yet if there were no divisions everything would just spiral into chaos.

I did like the Christmas Board, though. It amuses me still when I see people with an infraction in their history for failing to display proper holiday cheer.

ASimPerson on
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    see the problem is

no one can understand se++

when they talk like this

and get so distracted all the time

hey look a spoo
    Just kidding, you know i <3 you, SE++

Recoil42 on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    see the problem is

no one can understand se++

when they talk like this

and get so distracted all the time

hey look a spoo
    Just kidding, you know i <3 you, SE++

Look that was the worst possible SE++ imitation ever

you suck

I hate you

penisfag.

Khavall on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    I thought the Christmas forum was a good example of what happens when we're all forced to play nice for a few days, and it worked out fine
    Maybe something like that again, everyone forced to use the same forum for a week

Me Too! on
  • PopsPops __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Look, it's cool to come together every once in a while.

But ultimately if forced to stay together forever the forums will become a shitty place. There is a lot of prejudice toward members based on where they post. There is not a "Penny-Arcade", there is a "G&T penny-arcade" a "D&D penny-arcade" and a "SE++ penny-arcade". A lot of G&Ters hate the "SE++ fags", a lot of D&Ders don't even play video games anymore, and most SE++ guys would be banned on any other forum within a matter of posts just because of the fact they are basically domesticated trolls.

It just won't work.

Pops on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Draw a Horse

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What about Draw a Horse? Have you already forgotten.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2008
    Pops wrote: »
    There is not a "Penny-Arcade", there is a "G&T penny-arcade" a "D&D penny-arcade" and a "SE++ penny-arcade". A lot of G&Ters hate the "SE++ fags", a lot of D&Ders don't even play video games anymore, and most SE++ guys would be banned on any other forum within a matter of posts just because of the fact they are basically domesticated trolls.

Perceptions like this is why people think there's an issue.

ASimPerson on
  • BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    why is this even a thing. those who wish to sidestep the segmentation do, and those that like staying with just one forum do, and all are happy.

also i think the draw a horse and forced christmas cheer forums are enough. also, we made some good draws of horses.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It's best this way.

Regicid3 on
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The Portal thread(s) were a good intra forum gesture I thought.

One of the more awesome ideas I'd seen done here.

Bamelin on
    edited June 2008
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Draw a Horse may have been the best thing I have seen here for interaction between the forums. Also the bitchfest forums would also see a lot of people from the different sub-forums interact with each other.

Seg on
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    There is not a "Penny-Arcade", there is a "G&T penny-arcade" a "D&D penny-arcade" and a "SE++ penny-arcade". A lot of G&Ters hate the "SE++ fags", a lot of D&Ders don't even play video games anymore, and most SE++ guys would be banned on any other forum within a matter of posts just because of the fact they are basically domesticated trolls.

Agreed.
    Belruel wrote: »
    why is this even a thing. those who wish to sidestep the segmentation do, and those that like staying with just one forum do, and all are happy.

also i think the draw a horse and forced christmas cheer forums are enough. also, we made some good draws of horses.
    We did indeed.

P.S. Your avatar and sig what happened.

Janson on
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

But ultimately if forced to stay together forever the forums will become a shitty place. There is a lot of prejudice toward members based on where they post. There is not a "Penny-Arcade", there is a "G&T penny-arcade" a "D&D penny-arcade" and a "SE++ penny-arcade". A lot of G&Ters hate the "SE++ fags", a lot of D&Ders don't even play video games anymore, and most SE++ guys would be banned on any other forum within a matter of posts just because of the fact they are basically domesticated trolls.

It just won't work.

That is silly. The divisions exist as little more than user perception and it is silly.

The idea that you HAVE to play games to be an active poster in GnT or that you have to be a crazy person who swears a lot to be an active post in SE++ is silly.

The ones who can and want to make the "transition" between forums do so. There are plenty of "crossovers," so to speak. The ones who cannot (who are usually the ones who share that same silly point of view you state above) simply do not. That's just how it is.

Silly.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Viv you silly person when is the last time you posted in G&T.

DarkPrimus on
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

It just won't work.

This is a terrible way to think and from what I am reading here, you are completely wrong on all accounts.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This thread was very much like an SE++ thread right up until Pops posted.

MKR on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2008
    I post in every forum as and when I feel like it and have done so long before the establishment of my Reich. Interforum rivalries are utterly, utterly pathetic.

Tube on
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Viv you silly person when is the last time you posted in G&T.

my tiny little brain can't handle tracking more than a meager handful of threads at a time so I choose to concentrate my focus on SE since that's where I started posting the most

I sure as hell don't hate on people just because they post in GnT or D&D or whatever

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Personally, I won't have "relations" with anyone on a forum I don't frequent often.

Seriously, though, while cliques certainly exist, they also exist within each respective forum, especially the biggest ones. That's human nature - the bigger the population, the more cliques there will be. And xenophobia is an inherent part of cliquishness. I think that maybe these cliques are very vocal and give people that are less vocal the wrong impression. Overall, though, I've found that even the cliquiest cliquing clickers don't really treat someone like an outsider unless they're a real rube. Just post where you feel comfortable. It's really not a big deal. And like someone pointed out, the holiday forum works...mostly. So does the bitching forum, when the mods aren't breaking it by distilling everything into a single thread.

I wholly disagree that this is "G&T PA" and "SE++ PA" and so on like Pops suggests, and agree with Teh_Spectre that that's the kind of crap that perpetuates excessive forum cliquishness. If I had an infinite amount of time, I would probably post on more subforums. I don't, so I mostly keep to one (D&D) and sometimes venture out to G&T. But that's really a time issue than anything else.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited June 2008
    Janson wrote: »
    ASimPerson wrote: »

Agreed.
    Belruel wrote: »

We did indeed.

P.S. Your avatar and sig what happened.

i am ironman.

(i'm just being awesome for a bit, i'll return to the regularly scheduled bee in a few days :D)

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Bel your Iron Man theme is awesome you don't have to change for anyone

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »

Ironbee would kick so much ass.

Seg on
    edited June 2008
    Seg wrote: »

art026e9265ap0ki1.jpg

?

MKR on
  • Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I had relations with your mom last night.

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2008
    MKR wrote: »
    Seg wrote: »

robot.jpg[/IMG]

?

oh god i think i watched this show a few times as a kid

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Keep in mind that Pops was an alt of a repeatedly-banned user.

Thanatos on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »

ooh ooh which one

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »

So all we need is Bizarro Stormy and it'll be an average SE++ thread.

MKR on
  • CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I post in every forum as and when I feel like it and have done so long before the establishment of my Reich. Interforum rivalries are utterly, utterly pathetic.

This.

Minus the Reich, bit, obviously.

Also, line breaks by phrase are awesome times.

CJTheran on
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Draw a horse was one of the best inter forum activities ever
    Critical Failures never got a horse ):

Gumpy on
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    CJTheran wrote: »
    Also, line breaks by phrase are awesome times.
    Nope, that is a wrong statement.
    I tend to post where I have an interest, but since I don't play video games, draw or have coherent thoughts, I tend to stay nearer to SE++. Or I did.
    I had a point somewhere.. I think this is where I might bring up that the old Employee's lounge thread in G&T had me lurking over there for a bit. But when it was decreed too chatty or not G&T enough or whatever, I forget the official reason, I stopped paying attention. I realize how the on-topic forums need to be, well, on topic. But then I get bored.

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
This discussion has been closed.