As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moments of the Week: 06/11/08

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2008
    Why do you have to be so difficult, Keith?

No, man. Keith is warning us of a Skrull in our midst!
    He's saying it's NOT Kyle!

I'm on to you, KyleWPeterSKRULL!

You know, this "being funny" thing never works out for you.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2008
    Htown wrote: »
    What? Yes it is.

it's a good game, but it was nothing new and I wouldn't say it's one of the "best games ever". I played it, beat it, and that was that

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You're wrong

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    if batman has a fatality i will kill someone

I believe it's been confirmed that there'll be no fatalities.

That's retarded. There's so much you could do with DC-related fatalities.

So much. I mean, Superman alone has the freeze breath and the laser-beam eyes.

Flash could kill someone. At the speed of light.

Now it's just a crap fighting game with ninjas that no one's cared about for years.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah I guess DC has some whacky baseless objections to their big recognisable characters killing people and mutilating their corpses... weird!

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    There are still finishing moves, they're just not fatalities

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Virral wrote: »
    You're wrong

no i'm pretty sure i haven't touched it since i beat it

oh wait i even traded it in

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Your lack of taste doesn't mean it isn't one of the best games ever made. It just means you have poor taste in games, that's all.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    i have incredible taste in games

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2008
    An excitingly climactic moment from the instant classic FX #4:
    FX04-010.jpg

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Keith wrote: »

So this is just a one off lapse in judgement? Cool

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

So this is just a one off lapse in judgment? Cool

Keith's aiming a little low and you're aiming a little high. It was a pretty solid platformer with some interesting ideas that were fairly well executed.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I cant even remember the last time I turned on my Wii

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think we can all agree that the best game ever made is Hulk: Ultimate Destruction.

JoeUser on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »

like two weeks after smash bros. came out

but i traded that in, too. i don't even know what's coming out for it anymore.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'll give your Wiis good homes, guys. In return, I'll give you two cats.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Super Smash Bros is still the only game I have on my Wii. D:

But I am mad poor so

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I still only have a PS2 and a DS.

But some kids don't have any videogams at all, and for them I shed a single tear.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    yeah but they have their physical fitness so

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    But Wii Fit, Keith

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »
    But Wii Fit, Keith

Yeah, give me your Wiis so I don't succumb to the ravages of obesity.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    DMAC wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    DMAC wrote: »
    Yeah, I've always thought his work was solid but this was the first time I've really been wowed by it. He's hit a great iconic version of the characters. Anyone who likes Superman but hasn't liked him lately should get on board for this new story arc.

Can anyone provide a scan of the new Superman art? I gotta admit that during the whole Superman thing that happened last year, where both Camelot Falls AND Last Son were both horribly delayed, and they had some crappy filler issues that I grew really frustrated with Superman in general. Not to mention the same thing happened with Superman Confidential, and now its completely canceled. If Superman / Action Comics are good again, I might start collecting them again, but I've just been rather disenchanted with the entire Superman label lately.

Here are a couple of scans from the latest issue. This page reminded me a little of John Byrne:

The coloring on the S symbol is weird because it makes it look like it actually pops off his chest

also what happened to Lois' short hair

I dunno, but I hated it, so I'm glad to see that her long hair is back.

Also those pictures not only look a little bit like the 80s movie, that pretty much *is* Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah I guess DC has some whacky baseless objections to their big recognisable characters killing people and mutilating their corpses... weird!

Totally irrational, I agree.

Although these finishing moves intrigue me.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Presumably it will be something along the lines of the Marvel Vs Capcom games where the fighter lets off some massive blast/attack based on their abilities (eg Cyclopes doing a huge screen-sized optic blast).

Maybe Batman will crash the Bat-Jet into them :D

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

My Wii's on right now. I just played some Metal Slug 4 and 5. (They aren't nearly as good as 1-3.) I also have like twenty games for it, so maybe y'all just aren't paying attention.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I have like 5 games for it I think, then some VC games on top of that

but yeah if Im gonna play a video game 9 times out of 10 I'm using the 360

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Htown wrote: »

My Wii's on right now. I just played some Metal Slug 4 and 5. (They aren't nearly as good as 1-3.) I also have like twenty games for it, so maybe y'all just aren't paying attention.

maybe you should get a real system

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2008
    let's shut up about the wii before I remember that I waited outside a target for eight hours for it and now the only reason it gets turned on is so my mom and sisters can play wii sports

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Though if they objected to suchlike, then they probably shouldn't have associated their brand with a series of games called Mortal Kombat in the first place. Just sayin', is all.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    No disagreements here, I think it's an inexplicable decision which will probably be as awful as Rise of the Imperfects. Hell, MK is also known for using motion capture instead of sprites, right? Are they going to have some dude in a superman suit doing fly kicks?

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    You know there are 3D MK games, right?

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    They'll probably get their mocap guy to do the flying kick first, then they'll splice it into a Superman model.

But yeah, this whole thing is kind've silly. Overkill, gorefest fatalities is pretty much the only thing that sets Mortal Kombat apart from other fighting games. And they've never been particularly good to begin with. I'd much rather see a pure DC fighting game so you could have more over-the-top fights with destructible terrain. No one's going to believe that Lui Kang can take Captain Marvel, though.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Even an all DC game would be weird, because there is no reason Green Arrow should be able to stand toe to toe with Superman or Wonder Woman. DC doesn't lend itself to fighting games. Crossover fighting games focused on gore? Even worse.

Lux on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well, if it was over the top like MvC, it could conceivably work. I mean, you can have Captain America beat up Shuma Gorath there.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, I'm not going to begrudge an awesome game for playing fast and loose with the source material.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Lux wrote: »
    Even an all DC game would be weird, because there is no reason Green Arrow should be able to stand toe to toe with Superman or Wonder Woman. DC doesn't lend itself to fighting games. Crossover fighting games focused on gore? Even worse.

yeah

scorpion's spear bounces off superman's chest, superman wraps scorpion in a lamppost and drops him off at police headquarters.

player 2 wins

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    There's a red sun in the Mortal Kombat games, so at least that's an explanation for that.

Also, Scorpion's probably magic and shit.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    well then maybe scorpion tears out superman's heart and drinks his blood and player 1 wins, i don't know

edit- play the game to find out!

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Mortal Kombat VS DC is actually a meta-game where outcomes of battles aren't decided by the characters involved, but rather a diverse roster of player controlled nerds who, in a variety of forums (From Newsarama to Gamefaqs to a desolate Ice World), debate to the death over who is strongest of them all.

Interestingly enough, even when you win this game, you're still declared a loser.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    You know there are 3D MK games, right?

Honestly? No. I haven't care about or paid attention to MK since the original basically.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
This discussion has been closed.