As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A good codec pack

autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machineRegistered User regular
I'm looking for a good codec pack for XP (and for Vista, as I'll be getting a new PC with Vista soon)
I have no idea which one I had before, as my XP installation was like 2 years old before it died :P
I remember the k-lite pack being awful, and ffdshow being good
Is it still like that?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
autono-wally, erotibot300 on

• BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    BlackDove on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    man what.. that thing doesn't work properly at all in XP SP2, streaming videos in Opera hang for like 30 seconds before not working at all, and it's missing a load of essential codecs..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    man what.. that thing doesn't work properly at all in XP SP2, streaming videos in Opera hang for like 30 seconds before not working at all, and it's missing a load of essential codecs..
    streaming videos in Opera hang for like 30 seconds
    videos in Opera
    Opera
    [strike]Opera[/strike]

!!!!

Seriously though, I don't know exactly what you're expecting, but that filter pack should be more than enough for viewing shit with ffd and haali.

If you're talking codecs for encoding, that's a whole other deal.

BlackDove on
  • TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What's missing that you consider essential? That pack's ffdshow and a bunch of other things you'd need. Are you looking for something that replaces quicktime and realplayer functionality? I think your only option is the K-Lite mega pack if that's the case.

I usually just install matroska splitter and ffdshow on my system, I haven't run into anything I can't play after those are installed.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Streaming in Opera worked perfectly fine before, with that codec pack it uses wmplayer classic which for some reason doesn't want to stream the euro 2008 streams. That's essential :P
    Plus, after installing it I get no option to use flash video anymore whenever there's an option for windows media, how can that be?

My XP installation shat itself after a Windows update for no reason , so I would like to remember what I had before.. I think it was a combination of ffdshow and something else. What does matroska do again?

Edit: And seriously, fuck FF. I'm using opera since version 5, and I would never want to switch to FF

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I use the k-lite codec pack. I've never once had a problem with it. Google it, and give that a shot. It's really good.

urahonky on
    edited June 2008
    I had that once, but IIRC it gave me problems for some reason

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hmmm... Odd. You could try www.doom9.org they have a link in there for codecs. Maybe something in there might fix your problems. :)

urahonky on
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Do not fuck up your computer with codec packs. They are a bitch to uninstall.

Just get VLC and be done with it.

Between VLC, Quicktime, and Windows Media Player, if you can't view it, then it probably sucks anyway*

Jasconius on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    I use the k-lite codec pack. I've never once had a problem with it. Google it, and give that a shot. It's really good.

I've had serious problems with that pack in the past. Tearing video mostly

nexuscrawler on
  • bloodrbloodr Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If VLC is not your style, check out Media Player Classic Home Cinema. It picks up where MPC left off after it was abandoned. Now includes DXVA support if you have a newer vid card, a bunch of bug fixes and added codecs (FLV and some other crap people shouldn't be using).

I have to agree with previous posters, those codec packs will just screw up everything.

bloodr on
    b1oodrose.png
    b1oodrose.png
  • TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think it was a combination of ffdshow and something else. What does matroska do again?

The main reason I installed matroska was so that Windows Media Center could play MKV files from torrent sites.

EDIT: Opera 9.5 is a sexy browser, but i actually use full page zooming and the cairo backend of FF3 does that better.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What's missing that you consider essential? That pack's ffdshow and a bunch of other things you'd need. Are you looking for something that replaces quicktime and realplayer functionality? I think your only option is the K-Lite mega pack if that's the case.

I usually just install matroska splitter and ffdshow on my system, I haven't run into anything I can't play after those are installed.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/QuickTime_Alternative.htm

CCCP has the matroska splitter already in it. CCCP was recommended by the people who were running the Matroska pack, http://packs.matroska.org/.

Dark Shroud on
    edited June 2008
    urahonky wrote: »

K-lite installs codecs you don't even need. I had a lot of problems with conflicts when I tried this. Furthermore it has 3-5 different codecs that will do the same function.

Dark Shroud on
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Used K-Lite for a couple of years, had no problems with it (used it both on XP and Vista). A friend recommend CCCP and I'm using it now. Also no problems with it.

Regarding Media Player Classic Home Cinema, do I actually need a codec pack installed for stuff like OGG, MP4, FLV, etc.? I've used MPC for a few years, and now MPCHC, but I've always used it with a codec pack. I'd use VLC, but the UI gives me panic attacks (even with skins).

Cyvros on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I like Zoom Player's download center. It prompts you to install the latest FFDShow, Haali's media splitter and a few other utils. Everything you need for any Directshow-based player to work perfectly.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • bloodrbloodr Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Cyvros wrote: »
    Regarding Media Player Classic Home Cinema, do I actually need a codec pack installed for stuff like OGG, MP4, FLV, etc.? I've used MPC for a few years, and now MPCHC, but I've always used it with a codec pack. I'd use VLC, but the UI gives me panic attacks (even with skins).

No codec pack needed anymore. FLV supported added and MKVs are now handled properly.
    While it can't touch VLC in terms of the sheer number of formats supported and the handling of broken files, it does play every format things should be encoded in.

bloodr on
    b1oodrose.png
    b1oodrose.png
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    bloodr wrote: »
    Cyvros wrote: »

No codec pack needed anymore. FLV supported added and MKVs are now handled properly.
    While it can't touch VLC in terms of the sheer number of formats supported and the handling of broken files, it does play every format things should be encoded in.

Yes! *air punch* Thank you, good sir, for being the bringer of good news.

Cyvros on
  • DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Do not fuck up your computer with codec packs. They are a bitch to uninstall.

Just get VLC and be done with it.

Between VLC, Quicktime, and Windows Media Player, if you can't view it, then it probably sucks anyway*

I can only agree here. Codec collections are the devil. Basically what you need is a form of xvid or ffdshow. Mediaplayer classic or VLC for the rest.

This seems to be one of the current branches of ffdshow (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryout/). The original developer doesn't work on it anymore.

Dratatoo on
  • LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    CCCP all the way. Although I just did some x264 "high" profile DVD rips and the CCCP doesn't play them quite right, alas (jumps a little once per second).

It doesn't help with streaming online video though. If it's not flash, QuickTime, or WMV you might be SOL.

LoneIgadzra on
    edited June 2008
    I find it easiest to install CCCP, add the Quicktime & Realplayer Alternatives, and then stick the Media Player Classic Home Cinema.exe into the MPC folder.

I just really hate codec packs do to the trouble they've caused me & my systems.

Dark Shroud on
    edited June 2008
    As a general rule I agree that codec packs are a pain in the arse unless you've gone through all the selections with a fine tooth comb deselecting anything that might conflict with your current set-up.

I simply have divx, ffdshow, quicktime/real alternative installed and that's it. Ffdshow can decode just about everything, I also occasionally use vlc on the windows machine but I use VLC on my Macbook as my only video player.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This might fix your opera issue:
    http://port25.technet.com/archive/2007/03/29/windows-media-player-firefox-plugin-download.aspx
    Ignore the fact that it says firefox.

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    ya, dont' download a codec pack, they are all generally shit. Download individual ones if/when you need them, and use VLC.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    FFDShow isn't really a codec pack, it's one decoder that can gracefully handle a whole lot of different formats.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    When I ran into codec trouble I used a program called "Gspot."

It told me what codec I needed for the video to play, so I went and downloaded it, and voila.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yea, I actually have used GSpot before too. Works like a charm, shows Video and audio codecs in the file.

I certainly do love that GSpot :winky:

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    edited June 2008
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    FFDShow isn't really a codec pack, it's one decoder that can gracefully handle a whole lot of different formats.

That's why people have been recommending it, because it isn't a mish mash of different codecs all jammed into an installer.

Also, yay I finally get to use mish mash in a sentence. Somewhat overdue I think.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Streaming in Opera worked perfectly fine before, with that codec pack it uses wmplayer classic which for some reason doesn't want to stream the euro 2008 streams. That's essential :P
    Plus, after installing it I get no option to use flash video anymore whenever there's an option for windows media, how can that be?

My XP installation shat itself after a Windows update for no reason , so I would like to remember what I had before.. I think it was a combination of ffdshow and something else. What does matroska do again?

Edit: And seriously, fuck FF. I'm using opera since version 5, and I would never want to switch to FF

The problem you're having with MPC being used for streams can be fixed via the magic of changing your file associations. For what MPC does well, it is perfect, but it is lacking a few capabilities, for sure.

For streaming media I have to use either WMP or Winamp. VLC had never worked well for me, personally.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)